Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calgunners in Service
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calgunners in Service This forum is a place for our active duty and deployed members to share, request and have a bit of home where ever they are.

Old 03-07-2013, 8:22 AM

Default Unemployment and night school question

I wanna finish my bachelors by going to school at night thru UofPhoenix and use the post GI Bill, will still be able to receive unemployment benefits for CA?
Old 03-07-2013, 4:28 PM

Yes.
Old 03-07-2013, 8:34 PM

Yes but make sure...I mean ABSOLUTELY SURE that you check the box that you are available to work and are actively seeking employment. If you don't, they WILL ABSOLUTELY cut your benefits and you'll have to jump through a bunch of hoops to get them back. It sucks.

If your enrollment coordinator and financial aid officer are experienced, they'll be able to guide you correctly.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:17 PM

Thanks, still got a few mos before committing to school
Old 03-09-2013, 7:34 PM

Yes, you can get both BAH and UE. I did that for a bit right when I got out and it's awesome. I did, however start to get this weird itch that made me want to vote democrat, so I went out and got a job with a quickness to cure that ****.

on a related note, Just make sure you're a "Full Time Student" or whatever Phoenix counts as that - you have to be more than half time to get BAH, but you'll be missing out unless you are all the way. They will take your GI Bill for one class at a time, and you'll get your BAH for the months you are enrolled, but it will be pro-rated... as in if you're taking 2 classes, but full time is considered 3, then you will only get 2/3rds of your BAH, and the same amount of time will be taken from your GI Bill eligibility... it makes sense to suck it up, and take a full load to get your full amount of money, and the most out of the GI Bill time.
Old 03-17-2013, 10:01 AM

if you change your status and indicate you have started or plan to start school your UI checks will be stopped, you will be scheduled for a telephone interview, the interviewer will ask you qestions related to your schedule, what limits you have placed on yourself by going to school at night, example if you you were a BANKER and worked in a bank then a 9-5 job would not pose an issue as most banks are open from 9-5, some a little later, if you were a cashier, then a schedule conflict may exist as you could work swing shift in the mall or a stop-n-rob. Also, make sure you get your GI Bill and school docs reviewed and then give it a second review, ask many many questions during the admission process. Get everthing in paper, plus copies, then place it in a safe place as you may need them down the road.

Last edited by wayno21; 03-17-2013 at 10:03 AM.. Reason: details
Old 04-14-2013, 12:43 PM

My two cents: STOP wasting your money with Phoenix, a sorry excuse for a school. Find a better, honest-to-God accredited school to attend instead. That's all.
Old 04-14-2013, 8:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deployed View Post
My two cents: STOP wasting your money with Phoenix, a sorry excuse for a school. Find a better, honest-to-God accredited school to attend instead. That's all.
Completely agree. Community college then transfer to finish up the last two years. I almost went to Phoenix but sucked it up and stayed with community college and finished out my degree.
Old 04-14-2013, 1:40 PM

A relative of mine is doing the same. Don't even disclose it, it will just cause problems. As long as school is at night and doesn't interfere with your availability to accept a job from 9-5 and as stated above, actively seeking employment. You do not need to disclose it and your not gonna get penalized for it as long as you can show later on that you meet the above requirements.
Old 04-14-2013, 3:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deployed View Post
I understand the desire to finish but I agree. Just tough it out in a real university, you cannot beat the education.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipdiver View Post
A relative of mine is doing the same. Don't even disclose it, it will just cause problems. As long as school is at night and doesn't interfere with your availability to accept a job from 9-5 and as stated above, actively seeking employment. You do not need to disclose it and your not gonna get penalized for it as long as you can show later on that you meet the above requirements.
This right here, it's not worth mentioning and you simply need to be available. If you're working towards an education and looking for work you're doing better than 95% on the system. Push forward for that degree!
Old 04-15-2013, 4:09 PM

Quote:
This. Don't even mention it. The state is doing just about anything to cut benefits.
Old 04-16-2013, 6:46 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Agree with this.

First - if it's night classes or online, there's very little potential for conflict that would prevent you taking a "day job".

If you got a job offer that conflicted with school, you'd simply drop school, right? Therefore, no conflict.

The purpose of that stipulation is that unemployment is not intended as a form of student aid. However, it benefits the state if you complete your education, get a good permanent job and pay taxes into the state coffers. Because of this - while they cannot officially sanction it - they do not compare unemployment benefit lists against school rosters and boot anyone trying to better themselves through education while continuing to seek work.

Don't mention this as it will simply cause un-needed issues for you. (the drones that process paperwork are incapable of working through the process mentally as I outlined above) As I mentioned, there is no conflict because you would just drop any class that posed a scheduling problem. So you can honestly answer "no" when asked if there's a commitment that would prevent you from taking work.
Old 04-14-2013, 4:34 PM
Calguns Addict

im a bit confused... are we talking about disclosing the BAH or the availability to work? Ill be doing something similiar to this in a few months and just looking for clarity

Thanks
3) Saltworks M5 upper/lower set

Old 04-14-2013, 4:47 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianDavis View Post
im a bit confused... are we talking about disclosing the BAH or the availability to work? Ill be doing something similiar to this in a few months and just looking for clarity

Thanks
Your BAH is not affected, so as long as you maintain steady attendance. When you sign up for the GI bill at school it will be done by fellow veterans who work in the Veterans Resource Center. When you apply for Unemployment you just need omit that you are going to school, as stated it will create a huge nightmare if you do. Although the GI bill doesnt count as income, it's looked at kind of like a student loan, it can still screw you in the UE office. Just write in every week the 4 places that you applied and send in your weeky stub with the proper answers checked (looking for work, not medically stopped from looking for work etc). I worked at Cypress College in the Veterans Resource Center and referred troops fresh off active duty to do this. I collected unemployment for a year, and went to school. PM me for further details if you want.
Old 04-14-2013, 5:44 PM
Calguns Addict

^thanks man that was the answer I was looking for.
3) Saltworks M5 upper/lower set

Old 04-14-2013, 5:50 PM
Calguns Addict

Don't waste your time or tax payer money going to Phoenix.
Old 04-14-2013, 7:11 PM
CGN Contributor

The VA is moving in the direction of cutting the GI bill use at "for profit schools" because of the rampant abuse that's been going on. Your local Junior Colleges would be the best bet for getting your certificate or associates for vocational type work. For instance Cypress College is known for its Nursing (free books for vets), Toyota program, HVAC, Mortuary, Business, and rad tech just to name a few. Luckily most classes for the University of Phoenix do transfer. Like I stated earlier, I worked at Cypress College so Im not blowing steam out of my ***.
Old 04-15-2013, 2:32 PM

thanks for the replies everyone, havent yet committed to a school and will look around at other night schools, a buddy mentioned UofRedlands, thanks for the advice on the UI
Old 04-15-2013, 4:12 PM

How about getting a daytime job and continue with night school. Why must you try to game the system for free education and free sit on my assh money too? Is there something that is preventing you from getting a day job? By the way, thank you for your service.
Old 04-15-2013, 5:20 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudolfz View Post
How about getting a daytime job and continue with night school. Why must you try to game the system for free education and free sit on my assh money too? Is there something that is preventing you from getting a day job? By the way, thank you for your service.
The GI Bill isn't gaming the system, its guaranteed to service members after service. Unemployment is also guaranteed to service members, specifically to combat vets. In many cases there are things preventing jobs; PTSD, lack of skills (how does closing with and destroying the enemy translate to a civilian job?), reintegrating into civilian sector.. etc. In my case transitioning from an Infantry Marine to Civilian after 4 years is a difficult transition, especially when bringing a family. All this may seem easy to a civilian or a peace time service member, but look at it from the perspective of a combat vet coming back to a tough economy. We aren't looking to game the system, just help getting back on the saddle.

Last edited by Bongo Truck; 04-15-2013 at 5:21 PM.. Reason: grammar
Old 04-18-2013, 7:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongo Truck View Post
The GI Bill isn't gaming the system, its guaranteed to service members after service. Unemployment is also guaranteed to service members, specifically to combat vets. In many cases there are things preventing jobs; PTSD, lack of skills (how does closing with and destroying the enemy translate to a civilian job?), reintegrating into civilian sector.. etc. In my case transitioning from an Infantry Marine to Civilian after 4 years is a difficult transition, especially when bringing a family. All this may seem easy to a civilian or a peace time service member, but look at it from the perspective of a combat vet coming back to a tough economy. We aren't looking to game the system, just help getting back on the saddle.
This is the biggest issue he's dealing with right now. I know he's burnt out from 4 total deployments (2 Iraq, 2 Stan) but he loves the Army and this country. To me, I see it as time to take care of himself but he's worried about how his skills in the military transition into the civilian world. A friend of his got out and applied at Fire and Police, when they found out he was rated a certain % of PTSD (all servicemembers with combat experience get's PTSD %) after separating, that was looked at as part of his package. Good thing one of the fire chiefs that hired him is sympathetic to servicemembers. I was lucky enough to have an MOS that transitioned to the civilian world!
Old 04-15-2013, 9:54 PM
Bit Pusher
CGN Contributor

Ignore Rudolfz.

Like everyone said, unemployment shouldn't be a problem if you're taking night classes.

Are you already entrenched with UoP? If not, you should really consider a CalState. It's cheaper and credits are actually accepted by other colleges. More than anything else, that's the downside to the non-traditional Universities.

Whatever the case is, good luck. Thank you for your service.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:28 PM

Explain to me what's wrong with University of Phoneix or any other Institute?
Old 04-15-2013, 11:45 PM

Looked into CalStates and Community college but the scheduling just doesnt fit. Need a program thats less days at night but still considered full time for the BAH and btw when I do go to school I only will have 1 to 2 mos of unemployment left in my acct according to my claim form, so I def. need a decent job soon, BongoTruck is 100% correct in that transitioning has not been easy and Im truly grateful for this much needed assistance.
Old 04-16-2013, 12:00 AM

Getting my BSIT from uopx. Aside from the lack of certs its been a fun and interesting degree program.

if I did it over I would go through western governors university, they are cheaper and allow unlimited credits per semester. Also they are certificate focused which is great for IT majors.

UOP has its downfalls, but they do have a flexible and difficult bachelors in IT. I'm a Network Admin and feel like its been a great process. In fact I've hired two phoenix folks since... also hired six calstate losers that couldn't figure out that a pbx connected to a T1 line wasn't going across the internet to a cloud controller. Those kids sure knew buzzwords and the lingo but **** all else.

One even had a master's from calpoly san luis. Dumber than a box of rocks, he has since been replaced by a self taught housewife with a AA in IT from UOP...

As always your mileage may vary.

Seriously consider WGU, very respected and puts you on a good path!
Old 04-16-2013, 9:26 PM
Bit Pusher
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4v0s View Post
UOP has its downfalls, but they do have a flexible and difficult bachelors in IT. I'm a Network Admin and feel like its been a great process. In fact I've hired two phoenix folks since... also hired six calstate losers that couldn't figure out that a pbx connected to a T1 line wasn't going across the internet to a cloud controller. Those kids sure knew buzzwords and the lingo but **** all else.

One even had a master's from calpoly san luis. Dumber than a box of rocks, he has since been replaced by a self taught housewife with a AA in IT from UOP...
I'm not surprised. 4 year universities are terrible at training people in topics that are actually useful.

My point wasn't intended to say UOP was a bad education. It really isn't. The point was more along the lines of a BA/BS from UOP won't be transferable to the traditional system, and if you ever want a Masters/Doctorate/MBA/JD etc, there's a high probability you'll need to get yet another bachelors first from a locally acredited Uni.
Old 04-16-2013, 6:40 AM
Banned

no you cant get unemployment and go to school. the reason behind that is the GI bill, would you be willing to quit school and stop receiving GI bill (especially the Post 9/11 gi bill) to get a full time job at mcdonalds? after all it is a job, right? look into it, when you go to the unemployment office, they will tell you that you cant.
Old 04-16-2013, 10:02 PM
CGN Contributor

Like I stated earlier UOP credits do transfer, they are one of the very few for profit schools that have transferable credits.
Old 04-18-2013, 7:10 PM

I am amazed at the information contained in the post, lie on the EDD claim form, get caught, get hit with 30% penalty, pay back all money plus fees, FTB will place red flag. Now any potential job in the future may be an issue during a background check, all because you can't follow directions. You may have extended funds due to federal extension. You can PM if you like and I can inform you CORRECTLY regarding UI and your pending education. Reread my prior post and again PM should you want.