Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 04-25-2013, 1:51 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default Boyds stock ordered, very disappointed all the way around

Ordered the Blaster Ruger 10/22 .920 barrel pepper stock for $100 plus $16 shipping. After waiting the two weeks for it to be in stock it shipped. It came yesterday and the first thing I noticed was a dime sized brown spot on the cheek swell. It is obvious and now that I see it I can't see anything but that. I contacted Boyds and they said that is known to happen and especially with the pepper color. I told them I wish they had made that clear on the site as I would not have picked that color. They said they were "looking into it."

I told them I thought it was pretty crappy to know about the issue but not notify people of the chance it could happen to the stock they order. They told me I could return it if I pay to ship it back ($16) pay the restocking fee ($12) and then pay return shipping for the replacement ($16)

I told them I was pretty annoyed by adding on another $50 in fees just to try and get a problem fixed that they didn't tell me about before I purchased it. The answer I got was to try selling it elsewhere, on eBay or some such thing. I'm still trying to decide what to do but I know for sure I will never purchase anything from them again. Be warned
Old 04-25-2013, 2:02 PM

pictures
Old 04-25-2013, 2:49 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan in SD View Post
pictures
this please

and it sucks OP I always thought boyds was a better company than that
Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man. Jefferson's "Commonplace Book," 1774_1776, quoting from On Crimes and Punishment, by criminologist Cesare Beccaria, 1764
Old 04-25-2013, 2:40 PM

I'd call them again and you'll most likely get a different person on the phone who might be a lot more helpful. I had mine on back order for couple of weeks. Then the date of my camping trip was near, so I called them and said that I might go with a different color. The guy told me that if I order that day, I will get it in time. I had to think about it, called them back, got a different person on the phone, and it turned out that the stock I originally ordered (red Blaster) was in stock so they sent it out.

Post picture of your dilemma.
Quote:
Destruction is the way of life, destruction, mayhem, havoc, strife. - Bobby Blitz
Old 04-25-2013, 2:54 PM
Veteran Member

Wow. That's pretty crude.

Need a holster?, please email us at StrappedKydex@gmail.com for any holsters, mag carriers, and more. Custom jobs welcomed!
Old 04-25-2013, 2:57 PM
I need a LIFE!!

yeah, my stock (Marlin 795) was damaged near the front action screw (that holds the action and trigger guard into the stock) instead of a hole, it was a U shape since the wood was broken off from the screw hole to the cutout for the magazine. I emailed and said "Hey, I'm not going to send it back, but maybe you can send me a small block of wood and I can fix this?" They said "Sure! Send us a picture" so I did and I never heard back from them.

I plan to pillar bed it anyway.
Old 04-25-2013, 3:06 PM
Veteran Member

Kinda crazy that they told you to go try and sell it elsewhere to avoid paying extra shipping and a restocking fee. I mean really - a restocking fee on a blemished product? I would probably do as the other guy mentioned and try calling back to speak with a different CS rep and see if they are any more helpful. If not, at least you know you should be able to sell it here in the classifieds pretty quickly and maybe only lose 10-20 bucks on the deal.. but that's still pretty lame.
Old 04-25-2013, 3:10 PM
Calguns Addict

That sucks. I have always had great experiences with Boyds. I would call back, and if they gave you more grief, ask for a supervisor. Be polite about it.
Old 04-25-2013, 3:19 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Did you use a CC for payment?

I would call my CC and inform them that your product is defective and that the company knows of the defect and didn't inform you before you ordered and know they want you to pay to exchange it.

You may also tell Boyds this and I bet they change their tune.

You see your CC will either call them on your behalf or just refund the money to your CC. In either situation you win.
Old 04-25-2013, 3:43 PM
CGSSA Rimfire Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by morrcarr67 View Post
Did you use a CC for payment?

I would call my CC and inform them that your product is defective and that the company knows of the defect and didn't inform you before you ordered and know they want you to pay to exchange it.

You may also tell Boyds this and I bet they change their tune.

You see your CC will either call them on your behalf or just refund the money to your CC. In either situation you win.
Right answer. I have 4 stocks from Boyds and never had any issues with them and sorry to hear about the response you got. I also thought they were a better company than that. The CC company is the way to go with this, don't need the frustration dealing with Boyds if they are going to be a Richard Skull about it. Good Luck.
Old 04-26-2013, 8:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy43 View Post
Right answer. I have 4 stocks from Boyds and never had any issues with them and sorry to hear about the response you got. I also thought they were a better company than that. The CC company is the way to go with this, don't need the frustration dealing with Boyds if they are going to be a Richard Skull about it. Good Luck.

2 times on internet purchases, I was ripped off. I used a CC. Both times, the company didn't respond in the allotted time, and I got to keep the parts of the orders they shipped, plus got all my money back.

call the CC company.
Old 04-25-2013, 5:16 PM
Veteran Member

waiting for pics
George Patton
Old 04-25-2013, 5:18 PM

Pics. If it's bad, they'll wish they'd handled it differently.
Old 04-25-2013, 6:40 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I think that shows it. It is very obvious, I'll see if I can get better pics later on. Thanks for the help guys, might have to try again. Pretty frustrating
Old 04-26-2013, 8:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damngato View Post

I think that shows it. It is very obvious, I'll see if I can get better pics later on. Thanks for the help guys, might have to try again. Pretty frustrating
I think it is a unique marking. Another thing to consider is that marking, which is a natural mark in the wood is now a distinctive identification mark for your rifle. If something were to ever happen, you have a very easy way to identify YOUR rifle and only you would know what to look for...just a thought
Old 04-25-2013, 6:49 PM

Doesn't look "dime sized," but I can't tell how noticeable it is. Looks like one band of wood had a knot that the stain didn't penetrate, but the size isn't translating. Not sure it would bother me, if you paid for a perfect NIB product, you deserve what you paid for, I guess.
Old 04-25-2013, 7:00 PM
Veteran Member

Sell it.
George Patton
Old 04-25-2013, 9:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uxo2 View Post
Sell it.
^ this
Old 04-25-2013, 10:00 PM

There was a time late in the last century when Boyds reputation was terrible.
They have since improved the image but it's a long way from being a customer friendly place. It seems a little more stock maker and a little less retail skills.

As to your stock as per the pic, that's a normal part of the colored laminates.
You could get five stocks and the majority would have something inconsistent in terms of a spot or color blem.

I used to cross my fingers with both Boyd's and Fajen in this regard. Revolution was much better but their policy as I recall was basically the same.

That brown spot would not both me............... but that's your call not mine!
Old 04-25-2013, 10:05 PM
Calguns Addict

If it didn't meet your expectation then sell it.

It's not so offensive to me but I didn't pay for it either. Someone will buy it on eBay. Just remember the charges end up totaling about 13% eBay & PayPal combined.
Old 04-26-2013, 8:17 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Yea, I thought about just dealing with it but it catches my eye every time I look at it. I'll probably end up putting it on eBay. I'm still just stunned by the response from customer service. Thanks all
Old 04-26-2013, 8:29 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Yea, I thought about just dealing with it but it catches my eye every time I look at it. I'll probably end up putting it on eBay. I'm still just stunned by the response from customer service. Thanks all
stop whinning about.

Sell it.

There are many here who dont care about such a minor
detail.
George Patton
Old 04-26-2013, 9:22 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by uxo2 View Post
stop whinning about.

Sell it.

There are many here who don't care about such a minor
detail.
I'm not whining about it, I'm more pissed about the service I received. I was just wondering if others have the same issues and color spots as I did. What company suggests selling it elsewhere as the best advice. Pretty lame.

I called it dime size because I didn't know what else to call it. It's not a dime but the closest thing I can think of describing it is a large rice pilaf grain

I know it's not exhibition grade but it also looks more like a factory second then a new one. Thanks for the help guys
Old 04-26-2013, 9:38 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I'm not whining about it, I'm more pissed about the service I received. I was just wondering if others have the same issues and color spots as I did. What company suggests selling it elsewhere as the best advice. Pretty lame.

I called it dime size because I didn't know what else to call it. It's not a dime but the closest thing I can think of describing it is a large rice pilaf grain

I know it's not exhibition grade but it also looks more like a factory second then a new one. Thanks for the help guys
I am sure you can sand most of that blemish away. I just looked over my Camp 9 Carbine stock and found almost the same thing; something I didn't bother sanding out. This spot is in the photos I posted up above but like I said, after you sand, varnish, sand, varnish...it goes away unless you look very, very close.

Don't fret. These Boyd Stocks are $100 buck, machine laminated cheapo stocks. Not the hand crafted $500 stocks.

Here is my blemish that is on the right comb mid point.

Life Is Not About Waiting For The Storm To Pass - Its About Learning To Dance In The Rain.

Fewer people are killed with all rifles each year (323 in 2011) than with shotguns (356), hammers and clubs (496), and hands and feet (728).
Old 04-26-2013, 8:39 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Looking at that knot, which happens on wood laminated stocks, I wouldn't worry about it. I had a few Blemishes on my BOYDs pepper stock and most of them faded away after I did the required sanding and varnishing. (I used Satin Depthane from Home Depot). I have one blem like yours underneath along the bottom of the foreward stock. Nothing bothers me about it. As you sand the stock (which you should really do) start with some 180, bumping down to 220, 400, 600 and start the varnish process. Sand between coats. Yes, you have to let it dry overnight inside a warm house. Take some time but it will look good and that blem might not go away but it will be less noticable as the stock starts to shine. (hey, put a Cal Guns sticker over it..)

Seriously, you can probably sand most of it out (sanding fore and aft) and perhaps using some stain, flow it on with a brush before sealing the stock and the sanding/varnishing between coats..

Don't worry about it..!!

I have no issues with Boyds and will use them again.

I restocked one of my Marlin Camp 9 (carbines) and after all the work, it really looks good. I did have some smaller blems up top but like I said, they sanded out.

Life Is Not About Waiting For The Storm To Pass - Its About Learning To Dance In The Rain.

Fewer people are killed with all rifles each year (323 in 2011) than with shotguns (356), hammers and clubs (496), and hands and feet (728).
Old 04-26-2013, 8:26 AM

I have a pepper Boyd Stock that I am fitting my Marlin Camp 9 into.. now I have to go and see if I have any of those brown spots.
Old 04-26-2013, 8:39 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Dime sized? Dude, that's only one layer of the laminate. You worded this thread like there was an actual dime sized mark on the stock, and show us a picture of an extremely minor defect in a piece of wood that is barely noticeable. I just checked a dime against one of my own boyds stocks and it's 10 layers wide by comparison.

Sell it or paint it. You didn't buy an exhibition grade wood stock.
Old 04-26-2013, 9:01 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Can that be filled with some wood filler or putty and then color matched? If you could live with that then it might be less hassle then selling on eBay.

If I had a 10/22, I'd buy that stock from you.
Old 04-26-2013, 9:25 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

As far as barely noticable I did the woman test and it failed twice. I asked both my mother and wife what they thought about it and never mentioned the spot. They both said it looked nice but both wanted to know what the spot was for. They figured it was a function of the stock I guess. It is definitely noticable, to even the most untrained eye
Old 04-26-2013, 9:29 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
As far as barely noticable I did the woman test and it failed twice. I asked both my mother and wife what they thought about it and never mentioned the spot. They both said it looked nice but both wanted to know what the spot was for. They figured it was a function of the stock I guess. It is definitely noticable, to even the most untrained eye
Ok, but that still doesn't change that you ordered a $100 laminate stock made out of wood and received a stock that had an extremely minor defect(not to mention that you seriously over-exaggerated the size of it) that is fairly common in such a product.

If you want absolute perfection out of a product made of wood, you need to pay for it.
Old 04-26-2013, 9:33 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I guess we differ on what defines an extremely minor defect and exaggerated the size. A dime is the right length but not as wide. I guess I should have measured it to the mm and given exact measurements. Thanks
Old 04-26-2013, 4:52 PM
CGSSA Rimfire Coordinator

Quote:
I guess we differ on what defines an extremely minor defect and exaggerated the size. A dime is the right length but not as wide. I guess I should have measured it to the mm and given exact measurements. Thanks
I received a stock like that in the same color with a spot about the same size from Boyd's. The difference is that I ordered a "factory second" and in the description is said there were possible color variations. Me thinks you got a factory second that missed the QC process at Boyd's. I only paid $52 for it and got what I expected, you however were sent a defective product and if you do not take this up with your credit card company you have missed the boat.
Old 04-26-2013, 9:35 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Hmmm...I dunno about how hard other people work for their money but if it bothered me I wouldn't adjust, fix, sell, keep, or anything that costs me more money. CC company is there for you when this happens.
Old 04-26-2013, 9:36 AM
I need a LIFE!!

So then basically what you're saying is, it's not the size of a dime? I doubt it's the length of a dime either. Have you seen a dime lately?

Look, it's wood. Wood is not going to be perfect unless you shell out some serious cash to ensure you get a perfect piece of wood. Otherwise get something synthetic. I'm not saying you shouldn't get your money back since you're dissatisfied with the product. I'm saying that your expectations for that product any anything similar is unrealistic.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:21 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc1138 View Post
So then basically what you're saying is, it's not the size of a dime? I doubt it's the length of a dime either. Have you seen a dime lately?

Look, it's wood. Wood is not going to be perfect unless you shell out some serious cash to ensure you get a perfect piece of wood. Otherwise get something synthetic. I'm not saying you shouldn't get your money back since you're dissatisfied with the product. I'm saying that your expectations for that product any anything similar is unrealistic.

I don't care what your doubts are. No need to be rude and disrespectful. It's NOT that much smaller then a dime and it is the same length as a dime. I guess so $100 I expect more then a obviously blemished stock. I guess I learned otherwise. Thanks for all your incredibly insightful and helpful information Merc.

To the rest of you I do appreciate the insight. I'm not going to try and fix it myself, that just spells trouble. I guess it will be on eBay soon
Old 04-26-2013, 12:17 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I don't care what your doubts are. No need to be rude and disrespectful. It's NOT that much smaller then a dime and it is the same length as a dime. I guess so $100 I expect more then a obviously blemished stock. I guess I learned otherwise. Thanks for all your incredibly insightful and helpful information Merc.

To the rest of you I do appreciate the insight. I'm not going to try and fix it myself, that just spells trouble. I guess it will be on eBay soon
If you're going to ebay it anyway you might as well hit it with a spot of sandpaper and see if it gets smaller. It really looks like GLUE that hardened and it can't be thicker than a few sheets of paper.

Good luck..!

Old 04-26-2013, 12:58 PM
I need a LIFE!!
CGN Contributor

You should see some of the crap that I've gotten from stock manufacturers. Receiver pockets cut too deep, dings and dents in premium wood, and even sawdust embedded in the lacquer and every one of them told me that I was too picky, and that's just how it is. That's also why I stopped going to a popular rimfire forum - they not only don't want members pointing out when their sponsors sell junk, the morons that hang out there think it's ok if sponsors ship defective products to members.

If that were my stock I'd pester Boyd's until they agree to replace it with a different stock and if it's a common problem with that color I'd pick another like nutmeg where it won't show so bad.

Proud Life Member: National Rifle Association, the Second Amendment Foundation, and the California Rifle & Pistol Association

Last edited by sholling; 04-26-2013 at 5:04 PM..
Old 04-26-2013, 10:47 AM

One mans blem is another man's interesting touch of character.
Old 04-26-2013, 12:58 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Thanks Bob, might have to give it a shot. Can't make it too much worse I guess
Old 04-27-2013, 5:51 PM
Veteran Member

Ask to talk to the owner/manager. Send him/her the picture and see what happens. Could just be the nature of the material and not man made/caused (like in fabrication or finishing).

I once saw a cartoon at the sales counter of a tile store showing a customer complaining about stone tiles she bought all looking different from one another. The answer was - This is a natural product. Each one is different. Get over it!

"We keep you alive to serve this ship. Row well and live."

"Is that a desert country?" "No; a fat country; fat people." "You are not fat?" "No. I'm different..."