Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 02-15-2013, 10:57 PM

Default LA Co Probation accepting applications for Deputy Probation Officer I

Good evening everyone

I receive PM's quite often about job opening for LA Co Probation Department. Well, that time is now. The Department will fill 225 positions by December of this year. So, the department opened up applications for Deputy Probation Officer !. If you have a bachelors degree, and you fit all of the other Peace Officer requirements, you can have a job by the end of the year. Understand that the department opened for the lower position of Detention Services Officer in August of last year and they received 2,800 applications in just three days. They closed it after that third day. I dont know how long this is going to be open, but I would suggest you apply within a day or two, because I dont know when this will close. It just opened yesterday, so apply. The application is all online so you need to have your college transcripts scanned in to your computer so you can attach them electronically to the application. good luck and if you have any specific questions, you are welcome to PM me or ask on here.

FYI, those of you that may have applied in August, if you made it through the whole process already, you may be receiving an offer to start the academy in April.

Here is the link to the application:

https://sjobs.brassring.com/11033/AS...5&jobid=133080

Good luck and stay safe everyone
Old 02-22-2013, 4:16 PM

I hope those that were interested put in their applications. It closed today. For those that applied, if you have any questions about the process, PM me and I can give you some pointers. Stay safe everyone.
Old 03-02-2013, 1:51 AM

Default DPO I process

I have an oral interview next week and wanted to know if you could give me some pointers. Also, what does the process look like after the interview if one passess it.
Old 03-02-2013, 7:36 AM

Here are some general pointers:
Dress professionally-suit and tie in a dark color
Speak professionally-"yes sir, yes ma'am" goes a long way.
Know what the job is-its all on the flyer you originally read (you would be surprised how many people don't know what they are applying for)
act professional-sit up in your chair, look at the interviewers in the eyes, have a commanding voice (don't be a mouse)
Sell yourself- most jobs will ask you what have you done to prepare yourself. Don't just say "I went to school". We are looking for people that can think on their feet. That means being able to express yourself. Tell us what life experiences you have had that you have had that have helped you get to that interview chair such as military service, volunteering at the boys club, your church
Old 03-02-2013, 7:37 AM

If you have any specific questions, pm me
Old 03-02-2013, 8:11 AM

Im kicking my self in the *** right now I did not apply on time
Old 03-02-2013, 12:22 PM

Default General Pointers

Great advice, sir! I will let you know how things go next week.
Thank you!!
Old 03-02-2013, 1:13 PM
Banned

I wouldnt do it, deal with criminals all day without a gun?? F that
Old 03-02-2013, 3:12 PM

Good luck Watte, the process is going to go very quickly so if all goes well and your background is easy, you could be in the academy in august.

Urbancommando, I agree with you, it is a dangerous position. With the change in AB109, my department is finally going to arm a large number of our deputies. Our current chief understands the dangers of the job and he is going to help us by expanding our armed units. This is the same for most probation departments around the state. Things are finally getting better for us.

Good luck to those that applied. I will see yolu soon. Stay safe everyone
Old 04-24-2013, 3:45 AM

Just received my test date for DPOI(RT) finally, I was getting nervous!!
Old 04-28-2013, 1:53 AM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

So, LtMike, do you think your dept. will accept a 63yr. old (my birthday was 4-20 and I didn't not receive any firearms or ammo from any member here as desired), retired leo with a broken down body. I do have my dept. issued and my LEOSA issued ccw if that helps.

If hired, how old will be when I my retirement pension.
Old 04-28-2013, 7:41 AM

Well retired, we would love to have you and the great thing is you already meet the new minimim retirement age under plan G
Old 04-30-2013, 9:23 AM

I just took the written on 04/18/2013. Any idea how long results take to come back? I know they were testing around 1000 (according to the proctor).
Old 04-30-2013, 7:15 PM

It usually takes about a month to receive your letter that informs you if you passed and your oral interview date. We just started an academy on Friday. They are scheduled to graduate on june 14. Our next academy starts on July 12 so once you receive your oral interview, the rest of the process will process fairly quickly. Good luck
Old 05-01-2013, 7:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtMike70 View Post
It usually takes about a month to receive your letter that informs you if you passed and your oral interview date. We just started an academy on Friday. They are scheduled to graduate on june 14. Our next academy starts on July 12 so once you receive your oral interview, the rest of the process will process fairly quickly. Good luck
Thank you for the reply sir. Looking forward to those test results.
Old 05-06-2013, 6:56 AM

What are the steps after one has passed the written exam? Oral, medical, psych, etc? Also where is and what does the academy consist of?
Old 05-06-2013, 7:23 AM

Oral interview ( band 1 proceeds, others stand by))
Fill out POST background packet
Background interview and backgrounds begin
Psych test MMPI and interview
Polygraph
Medical

Academy, at LASD STARS center in Whittier.
7 weeks total, one week pre academy training, 5 weeks of JCOC, 1 WEEK OF POST 832 PC

Good luck
Old 05-06-2013, 10:34 AM

Oral interview ( band 1 proceeds, others stand by))
Fill out POST background packet
Background interview and backgrounds begin
Psych test MMPI and interview
Polygraph
Medical

Academy, at LASD STARS center in Whittier.
7 weeks total, one week pre academy training, 5 weeks of JCOC, 1 WEEK OF POST 832 PC

Good luck
Old 05-07-2013, 1:48 AM

Thanks for the info, im waiting for test results then im on my way to starting the process.
Old 05-07-2013, 6:15 AM

Usually takes about a month to receive your letter. Once you pass, the rest of the process goes very fast right now.

On a side note, out of those thousand that took the written test, only about 500 pass. Its a sad commentary on the state of education when half of the population can't pass a basic english test.
Old 05-07-2013, 4:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
What type of money does a probation officer make in California for over 1000 applicants? I can tell you here that the State Police is hiring and their starting salary as a cadet 1 is $30,000 a year annually. Not enough for a lot of us and you have to have your AA degree.

I recall Oakland PD was upto $92,000 a year when I moved from there a few years ago.
Old 05-07-2013, 4:50 PM
I need a LIFE!!

My dad was a career PO until he retired. It wasn't exactly healthy for the family though. Be advised,

If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face — forever.

Government Official Lies
. F r e e d o m . D i e s .
Old 05-07-2013, 4:56 PM

Not very good money. I work in a affluent county and we make anywhere between $40,000-70,000, depending on your rank. VERY stressful and hard on the family.
Old 05-07-2013, 7:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless View Post
What type of money does a probation officer make in California for over 1000 applicants? I can tell you here that the State Police is hiring and their starting salary as a cadet 1 is $30,000 a year annually. Not enough for a lot of us and you have to have your AA degree.

I recall Oakland PD was upto $92,000 a year when I moved from there a few years ago.
For LA County Probation the positions that we are hiring for are GSN, DSO, DPO I and some DPO II. we are mainly picking up the majority of DSO officers at this time, but we do have a few of the other positions being picked up. I was told today that once we complete hiring the 225 deputies for AB 109, we now have 500 other regular field positions to fill, so the opportunites are great right now. the pay is as follows:

GSN -Group Supervisor Nights- work from 10pm to 6am in custody facilites.
high school diploma only
36k to 43k (most positions have 5 salary steps so you reach top pay in 4 yrs

DSO -Detention Services Officer - work 6am to 10pm in juvenile hall
60 college units minimum
47k to 55k

DPO I - Deputy Probation Officer 1 - works 56 hour shift at camps only
bachelors degree minimum
46k to 57k

DPO II - Deputy Probation Officer 2 - works regular field supervision of probationers, caseloads average 170 right now. will be dropping to about 40 when all hiring completed.
Bachelors degree and 3 years experience as peace officer with caseload
55k - 76k

above that is supervisor(Sgt) ranks and Directors(Lt), senior Directors (Capt) and that runs the from 75k up to 150k depending how far up you go. Our chief makes 225k

we have regular county retirement, no safety, those days are gone. all regular benefits, medical, dental, we pay 7.25% in to retirement and have additional 457 program that county matches 4% of if you put in 4%.

The county is giving all employees a cost of living increase of 2% in July, 2% july 2014 and 2% December 2014. So the listed pay rates will increase as time goes by.

The money is not that great, but it pays the bills. we have been short staffed for 4 years so our caseload are really high right now. the hiring will probably take about 3 years to complete so we will be in hiring mode for a while. good luck everyone
Old 05-08-2013, 7:20 AM
Veteran Member

Lt. Mike, don't want to thread jack but are you guys making any headway with getting more of your folks armed? I know I was surprised when I saw how few armed staff you guys have.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:37 AM

Affirmative, our new chief has already expanded our armed deputies by 100%. We had 19 and we just graduated 19 new armed deputies in our first arming academy in a very long time. We are expanding to 100 by the end of the year and will probably do the same the next couple of years. We are real lucky and proud that we have a great new chief that understands the dangers that exist out there. Once again, there is a lot of opportunity in our department right now. Stay safe
Old 05-08-2013, 12:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
For LA County Probation the positions that we are hiring for are GSN, DSO, DPO I and some DPO II. we are mainly picking up the majority of DSO officers at this time, but we do have a few of the other positions being picked up. I was told today that once we complete hiring the 225 deputies for AB 109, we now have 500 other regular field positions to fill, so the opportunites are great right now. the pay is as follows:

GSN -Group Supervisor Nights- work from 10pm to 6am in custody facilites.
high school diploma only
36k to 43k (most positions have 5 salary steps so you reach top pay in 4 yrs

DSO -Detention Services Officer - work 6am to 10pm in juvenile hall
60 college units minimum
47k to 55k

DPO I - Deputy Probation Officer 1 - works 56 hour shift at camps only
bachelors degree minimum
46k to 57k

DPO II - Deputy Probation Officer 2 - works regular field supervision of probationers, caseloads average 170 right now. will be dropping to about 40 when all hiring completed.
Bachelors degree and 3 years experience as peace officer with caseload
55k - 76k

above that is supervisor(Sgt) ranks and Directors(Lt), senior Directors (Capt) and that runs the from 75k up to 150k depending how far up you go. Our chief makes 225k

we have regular county retirement, no safety, those days are gone. all regular benefits, medical, dental, we pay 7.25% in to retirement and have additional 457 program that county matches 4% of if you put in 4%.

The county is giving all employees a cost of living increase of 2% in July, 2% july 2014 and 2% December 2014. So the listed pay rates will increase as time goes by.

The money is not that great, but it pays the bills. we have been short staffed for 4 years so our caseload are really high right now. the hiring will probably take about 3 years to complete so we will be in hiring mode for a while. good luck everyone
Thank you for your time with explanation. Not bad by any means. Beats BFE Maine by a landslide.
Old 05-09-2013, 7:18 PM

*Update*

Took my test 04/18/2013
Received my letter today that I passed with date of Oral interview.

It did not take too long to hear back from them.
Old 05-09-2013, 7:44 PM

Congrats

Like I said, its going to process quickly. You need to do real well on the oral. If you don't score at least 94.5 (band 1), you will be placed on the stand by list. If you make it onto band 1 then the process will go quickly. Pm me if you have any specific questions. Good luck.
Old 05-10-2013, 11:22 AM

Thank you sir. I will keep your offer in mind.
How many applicants get selected into "band1"?
Old 05-10-2013, 12:14 PM

From the last group of 2700 only 170 made it to band 1. Out of those, 27 were selected for the Academy. Perhaps 23 will graduate.
Old 05-10-2013, 3:44 PM

Wow, that is a crazy percentage of people who actually make it through.
I will def. PM you any questions I might have prior to my oral interview.
Old 05-10-2013, 10:28 PM

Default Does Deputy probation officer 1 allows to carry firearm offduty?

I am wondering if the deputy probation officer 1 allows to carry firearm off duty?
Thank you
Old 05-11-2013, 4:58 AM

Its a complicated answer, but ultimately the answer is yes.

Here is a link to an old post that explains it:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...9&postcount=13

Hope this clears it up

Last edited by CaptMike; 05-11-2013 at 5:01 AM..
Old 05-11-2013, 12:14 PM

Thank you sir.
Old 05-15-2013, 12:24 AM

How does the background investigation process work? Is the questionnaire packet mailed out?What type of questions are asked? How is the academy process?
Old 05-15-2013, 5:00 AM

Standard law enforcement background. Sit down with background investigator and review your background packet. You can find a copy of the 40 page background packet on the POST website. Go to post.ca.gov and look in the FORMS section. Click backgrounds and then download the PERSONAL HISTORY STATEMENT PEACE OFFICER.

Once the review is completed the info is verified. Criminal record checks completed and the background investigator will contact employers, neighbors etc.

Ultimately I need to remind you to be honest. If you have some negative history, we may accept it and allow you to continue. But if you try to conceal something, we will find it and you are disqualified as a liar. That will kill your chances of ever working in law enforcement.

You should be fine as long as your not smoking weed like some of the bozos that went through this first batch of applicants. Some knucklehead told our background investigator that the last time he smoked weed was two weeks prior. Smh

Last edited by CaptMike; 05-16-2013 at 12:07 AM..
Old 05-15-2013, 12:13 PM

Thanks! That is much info. I made a 90 on my oral interview. I am wondering how long will it take to start the background investigation. What type of activities are done in the academy?

Last edited by Mrboombastic; 06-06-2013 at 7:38 AM..
Old 05-15-2013, 1:37 PM

which band was they placed you on?
Old 05-15-2013, 5:08 PM

I am in band 1. I am still waiting for my background investigator to contact me. I dont know how long is going to take before the background investigator to contact me.