Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > 2nd Amend. Litigation Updates & Legal Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

2nd Amend. Litigation Updates & Legal Discussion Discuss California 2A related litigation and legal topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 12-24-2009, 12:55 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kf6tac View Post
What are the limits on this offer?
Gene covered it very well, I want to reiterate that CGF is not Legal Insurance.

That said we want to know about anything involving firearms.

Postings are my own, and are not formal positions of any other entity, or legal advice.
Old 12-28-2009, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmang View Post
Until McDonald, we can't generally assist with UOC. Please run a few searches on the forum as the reasoning has been well hashed out. If you UOC you need to have $20K (at least) ready to burn.

-Gene
Nicely covered what cases are more "worthy" of donors money with the donor's goals in mind. Thank you. Also nice that some slightly off color cases might be considered, but no carte blanche for anyone with a gun.
Old 02-11-2010, 12:46 PM
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by oaklander View Post
Awesome - thanks!

FIRST POST UPDATED WITH REVISED CARD - http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/a...3&d=1261674969
I'll look into including the emergency contact info on the next iteration of CGN member referral business cards.
Old 02-16-2010, 9:46 PM

You guys are the best of the best...
Old 02-16-2010, 9:48 PM

Good to know that there are people like you guys. Tnx'
Old 02-16-2010, 10:01 PM

Sweet! Thanks for posting. It's good to see someone on our side.

NRA MEMBER

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."
-Thomas Jefferson

The hardest part about a zombie apocalypse will be pretending I'm not excited.
Old 03-20-2010, 4:18 PM

This thread is great. And thanks for those who would back up the law abiding gun owners in Ca.
Old 03-29-2010, 6:36 PM
Veteran Member

CGF may want to get involved in this:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...8&postcount=18

Quote:
Mind you, an AG's opinion from 1972 is not law. The CGF should challenge this case. The AG opines "in" means "on."
Thread:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=284994
Old 03-29-2010, 10:48 PM
Veteran Member

What if it was over 10 years ago.I called a week after it happened and the lady told me the judge ordered my guns destroyed! Could that have really happened or are they still sitting in safe keeping? Please private message me if you can shed some light on a situation that has always bothered me.
Old 04-01-2010, 7:17 AM

It's great to have an awesome community here. I'm a new member, this is my first post, and I just picked up my first OLL rifle this past Saturday from my FFL. I can't wait to start shooting and customizing, as well as keeping it legal and safe for the many years I plan to own it until I pass it on to my kid(s).

I've printed the cards and am saving the numbers. Calguns rules.

R.I.
Old 04-21-2010, 9:01 AM
Calguns Addict

I recommend you guys get umbrella insurance... it can help you in a variety of instances, and is very affordable.

1A-2A = -1A
Old 04-23-2010, 1:19 PM

I would like to talk to a lawyer regarding confiscated firearm, and possibly hire. this is an ATF matter. does anyone have any contact info for a good firearms lawyer.
Old 04-23-2010, 11:29 PM
Banned

PM sent. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakokid View Post
I would like to talk to a lawyer regarding confiscated firearm, and possibly hire. this is an ATF matter. does anyone have any contact info for a good firearms lawyer.
Old 04-23-2010, 11:52 PM

Good 2 know

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazman View Post
It would be great for CGF to develop a safe magnet warning against unauthorized entry, more impressive than a law office and maybe a way to make some money also.
and a great idea, I would buy one.
Old 05-04-2010, 11:33 PM

i was brought-in on a warrant once in culver city. the booking report stated that i had a receipt for the purchase of a handgun in my pocket. this happened around august 2009.
Old 05-05-2010, 12:35 AM
I need a LIFE!!

We're currently working on some infrastructure to support the distribution of this and other useful items; if anyone has some web development skills they could lend (Drupal, CiviCRM, Ubercart, vBulletin) please let us know, it would be greatly appreciated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArinX View Post
Good 2 know

and a great idea, I would buy one.

I do not read private messages, and my inbox is usually full. If you need to reach me, please email me instead.

My comments are not the official position or a statement of any organization unless stated otherwise. My comments are not legal advice; if you want or need legal advice, hire a lawyer.
Old 05-05-2010, 5:42 AM

...adding to my phone contacts right now. Thanks Oaklander!
Old 05-05-2010, 9:55 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenshinoro2007 View Post
I recommend you guys get umbrella insurance... it can help you in a variety of instances, and is very affordable.
Umbrella is only considered if my car and house are under the same company. Combining then may not be cost effective.

Real umbrella insurance:

Old 05-07-2010, 8:33 AM

I wish I'd known this in 2005, when a U.S. forest ranger cited me inappropriately. I eventually was able to have it dismissed, but it was a long process, and I'll never go shooting in Placer county again. I'll be sure to pass this information on to friends. Thanks for a fantastic resource!
Old 06-10-2010, 9:48 PM

Excellent information and a great benefit of being a CalGuns member! Very happy I signed up for this forum, so much information and resources plus support and ideas. Just put the number in my phone and told the wifey about it so she knows who to call if I cant. Like my pistol I feel good having this but hope to never have to use it........

"9MM - Because it won't matter when I put two in your chest and one in your head"

"If you want to make sure you hit the target, start shooting and whatever you hit call it the target." =P
Old 06-10-2010, 10:29 PM

Great Thread - Keep it going
I will pass information on to friends in need.

Thanks
Old 06-11-2010, 1:12 PM

best thread in life
Old 07-21-2010, 9:36 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

The toll-free number in Gene's post #55 is different than the toll-free number is the first post. Which is correct? I didn't see a subsequent post where Gene reported a different number.
Old 07-21-2010, 9:48 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by harbinger007 View Post
The toll-free number in Gene's post #55 is different than the toll-free number is the first post. Which is correct? I didn't see a subsequent post where Gene reported a different number.
The correct number is 1-800-556-2109.

I do not read private messages, and my inbox is usually full. If you need to reach me, please email me instead.

My comments are not the official position or a statement of any organization unless stated otherwise. My comments are not legal advice; if you want or need legal advice, hire a lawyer.
Old 01-23-2011, 5:00 PM
Señor Member
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny03cobra View Post
Hi everyone, im a little concerned as to what is going to happen to me.
You need an attorney... yesterday.
Delete your post and say nothing more ANYWHERE on the internet about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd View Post
A just government will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just government. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.
Old 02-14-2011, 7:51 AM
Banned

Although I am not on CGF anymore (I resigned in mid 2010 to focus on my personal life and day job), I am still in close contact with the Board.

If you contact me seeking legal help, your conversation with me is confidential. Once I know your specifics, I will do one or more of the following:

1) Refer you to a lawyer who can help you.

2) Also involve CGF, if the issue is something that they may be interested in.

3) In certain cases, I can arrange for bail (this doesn't mean that I will pay your bail - it means I can set up a bail bondsman for you).

In general, please try to AVOID getting arrested.

The TWO main reasons people get arrested for their LEGAL firearms are:

1) Traffic stops

2) Domestic disputes

So - please drive safely, and keep things peaceful at home!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-14-2011, 10:02 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Although I am not on CGF anymore (I resigned in mid 2010 to focus on my personal life and day job), I am still in close contact with the Board.

If you contact me seeking legal help, your conversation with me is confidential. Once I know your specifics, I will do one or more of the following:

1) Refer you to a lawyer who can help you.

2) Also involve CGF, if the issue is something that they may be interested in.

3) In certain cases, I can arrange for bail (this doesn't mean that I will pay your bail - it means I can set up a bail bondsman for you).

In general, please try to AVOID getting arrested.

The TWO main reasons people get arrested for their LEGAL firearms are:

1) Traffic stops

2) Domestic disputes

So - please drive safely, and keep things peaceful at home!!!!!!!!!
And NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER consent to a search. Politely tell the officer "I know you are doing your job, but I don't consent to searches." Do not help someone who is looking to arrest you for any reason they can come up with.
Old 02-18-2011, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone_Gunman View Post
And NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER consent to a search. Politely tell the officer "I know you are doing your job, but I don't consent to searches." Do not help someone who is looking to arrest you for any reason they can come up with.
I searched for some discussions regarding what to do, what not do, best practices, etc. when interacting with law enforcement when possessing firearms.

Can someone help me out in finding a thread that discusses this? I'm relatively new on the forum, and I'm sure I must have searched incorrectly.

I'm fortunate enough to have an unrestricted CA CCW, and am always looking to make sure I use my best judgment when interacting with law enforcement when carrying (it's only happened once so far...in San Francisco of all places, and the officer didn't inquire at all about my possessing a firearm...everything was perfectly respectful).

Thank you.
Old 02-19-2011, 6:31 AM
Banned

I can't speak to the CCW issue when interacting with LE - BUT - I can tell you one simple thing to remember:

You and the police officer have different "jobs."

His or her "job" is to fight crime, and keep the peace - this means that an arrest is generally a good thing for him or her.

Your "job" is simply to stay out of jail. That means that an arrest is a bad thing for you.

I've found that being polite and respectful goes a long way. Most LE are generally nice people and do not want to be a Richard about stuff. So just be nice and respectful. Try to talk less than you want to. Smile. Be friendly. And listen very closely to what they say.

For example, I was shooting an OLL on private property last weekend, and a local sheriff who lived down the road came down to see what all the noise was about.

I guess my 30 round mag dumps must have caught his attention.

We walked out to the private road to talk to him. He had a right to be on that private road because his house was also located on it.

By then, my AK was in my trunk.

He asked "what we were shooting" - I could have remained silent - but that would have probably caused him to react in a way I did not want - so I said "7.62x39." His reputation is such that I know that he didn't know what that "meant" - so he just said to keep the noise down. He did not want to appear unfamiliar with guns, so he did not ask what that round "went in."

If I'd answered "AK47" - then the outcome would have been different. The whole thought process for me took about 1/10th of a second. If you can't think that fast - then it's better to say nothing and take your chances.

Quote:
Originally Posted by die2surf View Post
I searched for some discussions regarding what to do, what not do, best practices, etc. when interacting with law enforcement when possessing firearms.

Can someone help me out in finding a thread that discusses this? I'm relatively new on the forum, and I'm sure I must have searched incorrectly.

I'm fortunate enough to have an unrestricted CA CCW, and am always looking to make sure I use my best judgment when interacting with law enforcement when carrying (it's only happened once so far...in San Francisco of all places, and the officer didn't inquire at all about my possessing a firearm...everything was perfectly respectful).

Thank you.
Old 02-19-2011, 9:37 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I've found that being polite and respectful goes a long way. Most LE are generally nice people and do not want to be a Richard about stuff. So just be nice and respectful. Try to talk less than you want to. Smile. Be friendly. And listen very closely to what they say.

For example, I was shooting an OLL on private property last weekend, and a local sheriff who lived down the road came down to see what all the noise was about.

I guess my 30 round mag dumps must have caught his attention.

We walked out to the private road to talk to him. He had a right to be on that private road because his house was also located on it.

By then, my AK was in my trunk.

He asked "what we were shooting" - I could have remained silent - but that would have probably caused him to react in a way I did not want - so I said "7.62x39." His reputation is such that I know that he didn't know what that "meant" - so he just said to keep the noise down. He did not want to appear unfamiliar with guns, so he did not ask what that round "went in."

If I'd answered "AK47" - then the outcome would have been different. The whole thought process for me took about 1/10th of a second. If you can't think that fast - then it's better to say nothing and take your chances.
Most people don't know anything at all about the LEO they're dealing with. You had a very significant advantage in that regard in the above scenario. So, alas, one cannot really know what to say in the general case.

The advice to be polite and to show respect (as one should do when dealing with anyone you don't know, really) is excellent advice regardless.
The Constitution is not "the Supreme Law of the Land, except in the face of contradicting law which has not yet been overturned by the courts". It is THE SUPREME LAW OF THE LAND, PERIOD. You break your oath to uphold the Constitution if you don't refuse to enforce unadjudicated laws you believe are Unconstitutional.

The real world laughs at optimism. And here's why.
Old 02-19-2011, 10:28 PM

Good to know CG has my back .Great site ,will be CGN contributer very soon ,THKS!
Old 02-19-2011, 11:09 PM
Banned

Good point!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcbrown View Post
Most people don't know anything at all about the LEO they're dealing with.
Old 02-21-2011, 8:16 PM

Called and left a message regarding a issue.
Old 02-21-2011, 10:29 PM
Banned

Spoken to and referred to appropriate person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GixxRacer View Post
Called and left a message regarding a issue.
Old 02-21-2011, 10:33 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGDJG View Post
Good to know CG has my back .Great site ,will be CGN contributer very soon ,THKS!
While supporting CGN is a worthwhile cause in its own right, the Hotline service is provided by CGF (Calguns Foundation), an entirely separate entity.

-Brandon

Old 02-28-2011, 8:07 PM

Great thread, good to know I have some one on my side if **** hits the fan! Thanks CGN community!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSACANNONEER View Post
Frontstuffers!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1500 View Post
I wonder if the holdup is because Gene's package is way too big and the people at the clerks office cant handle it all......
Old 02-28-2011, 9:18 PM
Banned

Excellent!

While I can't officially speak "for" CGF - I can tell you that this kind of thing requires money - both to keep the line open, follow up on calls, and take legal action, if required.

Please do consider making a small donation to CGF when you get a chance. They operate on a small "internal" budget, with the rest of the money going directly to fight for our rights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iskra31 View Post
Great thread, good to know I have some one on my side if **** hits the fan! Thanks CGN community!
Old 03-26-2011, 5:00 PM

Default A Friend In Trouble

I advised my friend to contact you guys. Not sure if you can help his cause or not but I sent him your way.

http://www.southbayriders.com/forums...d.php?t=107564

Last edited by Calimart; 03-26-2011 at 5:02 PM..
Old 03-27-2011, 2:43 AM
Calguns Addict

Here here to CGF!! Thanks Oak!!
Old 03-27-2011, 9:02 AM
Banned

Thanks!

But seriously - I just "connect the dots." And make phone calls, etc. . .

The real heroes here are the lawyers that CGF works with who mount the defenses, and the CGF leadership, which plans the strategies. . .

I'm just kind of a soldier, since I'm not good at strategy (but I am EXCELLENT at tactics). . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seesm View Post
Here here to CGF!! Thanks Oak!!