Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 08-21-2019, 3:01 AM
Global Warming Enthusiast
CGN Contributor

Wise is the worst tasting of all the freeze dried companies IMO. I'm pretty well stocked up on Mountain House. I live alone so I probably have a year's worth.

Buy made in USA whenever possible.
Old 08-24-2019, 3:05 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACfixer View Post
Wise is the worst tasting of all the freeze dried companies IMO. I'm pretty well stocked up on Mountain House. I live alone so I probably have a year's worth.
Agreed. I have some Wise buckets, and the food tastes like plastic to me.

I have a bunch of Mountain House in #10 cans and it is vastly superior in taste. Well worth a few dollars more.
Old 08-24-2019, 11:27 AM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorFranko View Post
Smart man. Freeze dried, beans and rice all require water to make them edible.
After a big earthquake, or when the government shuts off the water to control it's subjects, water will be the number one priority, in SoCal anyway.

Canned goods, especially vegetables, are edible right out of the can without attention drawing cooking, usually contain large amounts of water and have a long shelf life.
Bingo ^^ and you can stock your pantry when what you want is on sale. Canned meat is cooked all you have to do is warm it up or not.

Buy cheap and stack deep. All you need is a can opener and a spoon.

Here I am.

"I'm for Hoffa until they pat my face with a shovel and steal my cufflinks." Frank Sheerin. Man who admitted killing Hoffa

Last edited by cannon; 08-24-2019 at 11:30 AM..
Old 08-24-2019, 4:39 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch3 View Post
Agreed. I have some Wise buckets, and the food tastes like plastic to me.

I have a bunch of Mountain House in #10 cans and it is vastly superior in taste. Well worth a few dollars more.
Yeah I had a couple unopened WISE buckets and they called me and offered me a free sample. I took them up on it and and I chose the chili-mac. I'm glad I did because it sold me on MH and I gave the WISE buckets to some less fortunate folks for emergency food up here in the mountains. It's calories, but it's just awful stuff. The sales person called me several time afterward and even though I told them straight up how the meat substitute was like dog food he still wanted to sell me some multi-$1,000 shipments.

Old 08-24-2019, 9:08 PM

Location: Up in the hills, above the beach in the foggy redwoods

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannon View Post
Bingo ^^ and you can stock your pantry when what you want is on sale. Canned meat is cooked all you have to do is warm it up or not.

Buy cheap and stack deep. All you need is a can opener and a spoon.

Old 08-29-2019, 11:07 PM

Anyone else notice that the guy who embeds a link to a product at LAPG in this first post is also posting a bunch of duplicate LAPG ad threads? If you want to run commercial promotion posts fine, but be honest about instead of pretending that you are actually asking about our opinions while quietly trying to direct traffic to LAPG products. Just be up front with us. And contribute to CalGuns as a vendor.
Old 08-30-2019, 5:53 PM
Calguns Addict

I like the LDS 10# canned goods. Good for 30 years. Donate them to the food bank at the 20 year mark and re-buy. You can buy cans in boxes and have them on a pallet for easy moving.
Old 08-30-2019, 5:55 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Why does it have to 'last for 25 years'? How about keeping and rotating fresher foods? Keep a stock of 'survival food' in your pantry, refrigerator and freezer. Just keep rotating them. You have to eat anyway.
CRPA Member

"Those who seek absolute power, even though they seek it to do what they regard as good, are simply demanding the right to enforce their own version of heaven on earth. And let me remind you, they are the very ones who always create the most hellish tyrannies. Absolute power does corrupt, and those who seek it must be suspect and must be opposed"
~ Barry Goldwater 1964
Old 08-30-2019, 6:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Featureless View Post
Why does it have to 'last for 25 years'? How about keeping and rotating fresher foods? Keep a stock of 'survival food' in your pantry, refrigerator and freezer. Just keep rotating them. You have to eat anyway.
Personally, I eat reasonably fresh food that requires refrigeration if you wanted to stockpile more than a few weeks. In an emergency, I'm not depending upon refrigeration nor heating and have more than a few weeks of supplies.

If you don't rotate, try your "emergency" supplies. I just ate a 18 year old MRE beef enchilada w/sauce entree which almost had enough sodium for a day and gave me a "sodium" headache.
Old 08-30-2019, 8:02 PM
CGSSA Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Featureless View Post
My answer is "Get Both."

We've typically got a week's worth of food in the house, counting dry goods and a chest freezer.

Then there's canned stuff we buy in bulk but go through on a regular basis. Tunafish, beans, soup. Cases of Clif bars. Another few days worth.

Then we've got camping and backpacking food. Those get rotated through every year. Call it another week.

And then there's the backstop. Case of MREs, couple of grab-and-go buckets, a small mountain of 30-year stable stuff between #10 cans and a few 5-gallon buckets split between prepared and raw ingredients.

Then there's the garden and the fruit trees... and the squirrels...

In a disaster situation, food is probably among the lowest priorities. I'm FAR more concerned about water. In a worst-case scenario, you'll last two weeks without food... two days without water... two hours without shelter... two minutes without air or prompt medical attention. Plan accordingly.

Ask me about Appleseed! Send a PM or see me in the Appleseed subforum.
Old 08-30-2019, 8:23 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by as_rocketman View Post
In a disaster situation, food is probably among the lowest priorities. I'm FAR more concerned about water. In a worst-case scenario, you'll last two weeks without food... two days without water... two hours without shelter... two minutes without air or prompt medical attention. Plan accordingly.
Have you ever gone two full days without food, much less two weeks? Yeah, technically you may live for two weeks without food, but you aren't going to be worth a schit after a day or two.

Long term water is the toughest nut to crack, no question about it.

Old 08-30-2019, 8:47 PM
CGSSA Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACfixer View Post
Have you ever gone two full days without food, much less two weeks? Yeah, technically you may live for two weeks without food, but you aren't going to be worth a schit after a day or two.

Long term water is the toughest nut to crack, no question about it.
Yeah, I have done two days on no food. I've also done week long rucks on starvation rations.

But on the scale of "need to have --> nice to have" food is on the edge. I can think of no natural disaster in this country since the 1930's that resulted in widespread starvation.

Ask me about Appleseed! Send a PM or see me in the Appleseed subforum.
Old 09-18-2019, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harbormaster View Post
Plant something every week. Seriously try and plant something each week, document how long it takes to become ready to eat and make sure you have a weekly harvest coming.
^^This,

https://harvestright.com/how-it-work...gaAqf8EALw_wcB

^^and This.

We freeze dry whatever we want.
Old 09-19-2019, 7:21 AM
Veteran Member

Wise foods “meat” is textured vegetable protein and they’ve also been busted on their calorie and serving claims.

Mountain house uses real meat, and imo tastes excellent. I eat it all the time camping and backpacking.
We only buy mountain house, auguson farms, emergency essentials, and LDS home storage center. Plenty of water stored plus several replenishment plans in place. Multiple options on hand for boiling water.

Building a local group of like minded and equally prepared friends is also extremely valuable.
I have a rancher, a family practice doctor and a dentist in my group among others, and one is a pilot with his own airplane. We also have communications between us that doesn’t rely on LL telephones, cell towers or grid power.

Everyone’s situ is different, but please consider at least having enough food & water and a way to heat the water for you, your family and pets for 2 weeks. I consider us very lucky that we live in an area and community that is full of very prep and self sufficiency minded people. There’s a real sense of security and freedom in having some nuts squirreled away for winter, and knowing your neighbors do too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-19-2019, 9:01 PM
Veteran Member

Water is ALWAYS an issue. IF you have found a local source for replenishment and have a filter, one excellent option is a 1980’s vintage ALICE pack frame with the cargo shelf, a 5 gallon scepter jerry can and cargo straps to secure it. About 43 pounds total full. You can hike it home or put it on your bicycle as a cart and push it home.

This is my primary replenishment plan if I run out of my stored water. I have done a trial run wet and it works fantastically.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk