Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Shotgun discussions > Shotgun Gallery
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shotgun Gallery Post pictures of your scattergun here.

Old 04-13-2010, 7:24 AM
Veteran Member

cool work
Old 04-21-2010, 4:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brent_mpk View Post
Wow, I like the look of the new LM models. Damn, might have to waste some money on a new bezel!!!
me too....if you believe the pictures they show on the site, it looks like it clears the bayonet lug. also it makes no mention of having to remove it like the previous models did. has anyone actually found a place that carries them? no luck for me on the internet so far
Old 04-21-2010, 4:33 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemper View Post
me too....if you believe the pictures they show on the site, it looks like it clears the bayonet lug. also it makes no mention of having to remove it like the previous models did. has anyone actually found a place that carries them? no luck for me on the internet so far
Our local sporting goods shop (Dom's in Livermore) was very happy to special order it for me. The 623LM does clear the bayonet lug, although only due to having a slimmer bezel. Surefire's official response was as follows:

Thank you for contacting SureFire.

The modification that was performed on the SureFire forend body as illustrated on the CalGuns forum site is not recommended as it will void the product warranty. The majority of users remove the bayonet lug as it is not used. Also even with that forend body modification, you would likely not be able to mount the bayonet onto the shotgun while keeping the SureFire light attached at the same time. There does not appear to be enough space available for both. With the new 623LM models, the front of the LED module will clear the bayonet lug however it is possible that under recoil the front edge of the LED module could be marred by the bayonet lug. We recommend removing they bayonet lug if not absolutely necessary.The shorter 323LM will clear the bayonet lug with no issues.

Best Regards,

Alex Nunes

Technical Support

SUREFIRE, LLC
18300 Mt. Baldy Circle I Fountain Valley, CA 92708 I U.S.A.
T 800-828-8809 F 714-545-9537

The world’s finest illumination tools and tactical accessories for those who would go in harm’s way, and for those who demand the ultimate in performance, innovation, and quality.

Mine does clear, although there is a little chance that recoil might slam the bezel into the bayonet lug. I'm not sure how much movement there would be on the forend during recoil, but I'd suspect that the very small clearance might not be enough.

The 323lm (one 123 cell) light should clear completely. However, the two cel 623lm has twice the output (200 lumens vs. 100) so you'll have to decide whether you want more light or more clearance.

I'll try to post pictures of the shotgun later. I thought that I had posted one with the light on and clearing the bezel, but perhaps I forgot that one?
Old 04-21-2010, 4:35 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Actually I'm not overly concerned about the bezel being "marred" by recoil. So long as the impact doesn't ruin the bulb assembly I'm fine with cosmetic issues.

I guess that I'll see how long it lasts...
Old 04-21-2010, 6:54 PM

i'll be interested to hear how it goes....otherwise it looks like the 323 will be the one for me

great info wherryj...thanks
Old 04-22-2010, 8:43 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I took pics, but forgot my phone this morning. I'll try to post them, but I did notice that I posted one with the light clearing the bayonet lug. It does clear due to the lower profile bezel, but only by about a millimeter. Racking the slide aggressively doesn't cause contact between the lug and the bezel, but I haven't had a chance to get out and fire the weapon since the mod.

I'd also assume that it might take quite a bit of testing to assure that there isn't "incidental contact" that slowly mars the bezel.

The other option appears to be getting a 323 light conversion kit for any of the forends. The forends appear to be the same amongst models, only differing in the actual light assembly. They have the kits that convert any Mossberg Surefire forend to a 323LM or 623LM just by screwing in the new body.

Unfortunately they aren't on Surefire's sight, or any internet store, yet. But this may be the way that I go if the 623 is making contact during recoil. They appear to be about $80, so not a really expensive way to change the 623 to a 323.

http://www.surefire.com/maxexp/main....rch_id=2015000
Old 04-30-2010, 1:21 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Here's the Surefire forend clearing the bayonet lug.
Old 04-30-2010, 3:36 PM

very nice
Old 04-30-2010, 9:00 PM

Default bayonet and recoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemper View Post
very nice
Hey guys:

slightly different topic:
I have a 590A1 model 51668. When I fire buckshot or slug with the bayonet mounted, the recoil often will cause the bayonet to fall off the gun. Is there anything I can do? The bayonet seems to be mounted pretty securely; until I fire the gun anyway. (It is a Lan-Cay genuine M-9, not a knock off.)

Also, I have the speedfeed stock that holds 2 extra shells on either side of the stock. On the right side the shells also keeps falling out under recoil. The left side holder seems to hold the shells OK.

Any fixes?
Thanks!
Old 05-04-2010, 10:43 AM

wish i had some info for you, but i've never fired mine with the bayonet in place.....the one that came with mine is made by ontario but the attachment looks exactly the same
Old 06-23-2010, 2:41 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Nice shotgun !
Old 08-24-2010, 4:51 PM

Thanks for posting that!
Old 08-25-2010, 5:32 PM

no problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Searson View Post
Thanks for posting that!
Old 02-09-2011, 1:21 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Thumbs up nice setup!

Quote:
I used the factory Mossberg heat shield off of their website. However, it's hit or miss... My friend has a 590A1 like mine(a little older), and bought the same heat shield off the Mossberg site and it did not fit.
nice rig... what modifications did you have to make to the Mossberg heatshield to make it fit the 590A1 heavy barrel? it's a tempting mod since it does look nice (even if it does add yet more weight). mine has the factory ghost ring sights on it though, so i might be out of luck as it is.

your rig sounds heavy... you need a sling.

no joke though, the 590A1 is one heavy shotgun... mine only has a 8-shell side saddle right now and it clocks in at almost 8 lbs unloaded.

i'm not sure about the latest model surefire foregrips, but the design of the 590A1 was always described as incompatible with the surefire offerings due to the lug. there are plenty of offset bracket mounts and rails as an alternative though. i believe there are even mounts that utilize the bayonet lug itself to fit a picatinny rail section.
Old 02-09-2011, 12:22 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootle View Post
nice rig... what modifications did you have to make to the Mossberg heatshield to make it fit the 590A1 heavy barrel? it's a tempting mod since it does look nice (even if it does add yet more weight). mine has the factory ghost ring sights on it though, so i might be out of luck as it is.

no joke though, the 590A1 is one heavy shotgun... mine only has a 8-shell side saddle right now and it clocks in at almost 8 lbs unloaded.

i'm not sure about the latest model surefire foregrips, but the design of the 590A1 was always described as incompatible with the surefire offerings due to the lug. there are plenty of offset bracket mounts and rails as an alternative though. i believe there are even mounts that utilize the bayonet lug itself to fit a picatinny rail section.
The new Surefire lights have a slimmer bezel. The two cell light still protrudes under the bayonet mount, but clears by a few mm. Mine hasn't seemed to have made contact yet, but I guess that only time will tell whether the recoil will tear it up or not.

The one cell lights should completely clear the bayonet lug.
Old 02-11-2011, 8:13 PM

Scootle, no modification is need to make the factory heat shield fit. I just put electrical tape around the barrel where the front tabs would contact the barrel, and pushed it slowly, but forcefully onto the barrel. I did take a little time to get out all of the tape once the heat shield was on due to how tight it was. It's important to slide the rear clamp onto the back of the barrel and line the heat shield up to where you want it before trying to push the front on. You don't want to slide the heat shield back and forth on the barrel once you get it on to avoid scratches. I again caution that factory heat shield did fit on my 590A1, but I may not fit on yours. As stated in post #23 in the thread, the heat shield did not fit on my friend's 590A1 even though it was the same model and we both bought the heat shield from the Mossberg site.

As far as the Surefire, like Wherryj, stated the new models with the streamlined LED modules do clear the bayonet lug without a problem.

I hope this helped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootle View Post

Old 02-25-2011, 12:15 PM

Thats sexy
Old 02-25-2011, 4:36 PM

Thx

Quote:
Originally Posted by onequickshift View Post
Thats sexy
Old 02-25-2011, 5:05 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Scootle, no modification is need to make the factory heat shield fit. I just put electrical tape around the barrel where the front tabs would contact the barrel, and pushed it slowly, but forcefully onto the barrel. I did take a little time to get out all of the tape once the heat shield was on due to how tight it was. It's important to slide the rear clamp onto the back of the barrel and line the heat shield up to where you want it before trying to push the front on. You don't want to slide the heat shield back and forth on the barrel once you get it on to avoid scratches. I again caution that factory heat shield did fit on my 590A1, but I may not fit on yours. As stated in post #23 in the thread, the heat shield did not fit on my friend's 590A1 even though it was the same model and we both bought the heat shield from the Mossberg site.

As far as the Surefire, like Wherryj, stated the new models with the streamlined LED modules do clear the bayonet lug without a problem.

I hope this helped.
I'm not sure that I said "without a problem". The two cell lights do clear, but I have not run a large number of rounds through the shotgun since putting on the forend. The few mms of clearance combined with sustained recoil might cause trouble, but I'm willing to risk that.

If you want to assure that there won't be a problem, the 300 series (single cell 123) clear by a big margin.
Old 04-04-2011, 7:06 PM

Great Looking Mossberg. I'm amped on the 590A1 specific heat shield.
It will be mine
Old 04-04-2011, 7:16 PM
Bring back the Lions.
CGN Contributor

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wherryj View Post
The majority of users remove the bayonet lug as it is not used.

Best Regards,

Alex Nunes

Technical Support

SUREFIRE, LLC
18300 Mt. Baldy Circle I Fountain Valley, CA 92708 I U.S.A.
T 800-828-8809 F 714-545-9537

My fuzzy butt. If I didn't want to mount a bayonet I wouldn't have bought a shotgun with a bayonet mount.

Ten pounds of steel, good. Ten pounds of steel with a pound of pointy steel on the end, better. Bayonet with a frikkin' laser on it's head, best.