Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Gunsmithing & How To
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Gunsmithing & How To Pro, Amateur & WECSOG and Tutorials, Guides & OLL Build Instructions

Old 10-20-2016, 7:35 PM

Default Lord! More Tools Needed for 1911/2011 Build???

I thought getting a beavertail grip safety jig and lug cutter were the last tools I needed in addition to a matrix rail cutter, barrel cutter, files, vice block, punch set..... BUT now it seems I need:

plunger tube staker
Lug Cutter Kit (barrel holder, two cutters, handle) $180 @ brownells
Barrel alignment tool

How must have are these tools? I have a 1911 I'm building and a 2011 I'm building. How difficult would it be to cut the lug WITHOUT the complete $180 kit Brownells sells? Just using the standard lug cutter.

This build is going to take much longer than I anticipated and much more in tools than I thought. I guess it SHOULD be cheaper than a $3,000 STI.
Old 10-20-2016, 7:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychbiker View Post
This build is going to take much longer than I anticipated and much more in tools than I thought. I guess it SHOULD be cheaper than a $3,000 STI.
I wouldn't mind doing a 80% 1911, but after pricing all of the components, I'd be miles ahead just buying one for what I'd spend making one.
And that's not including the time. In the end, will it be better than a $1500+ 1911?

Plus, you still have to register it.
Old 10-20-2016, 7:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Cuda View Post
I wouldn't mind doing a 80% 1911, but after pricing all of the components, I'd be miles ahead just buying one for what I'd spend making one.
And that's not including the time. In the end, will it be better than a $1500+ 1911?

No you don't. And yes, you can make a very nice 1911 with stainless frame and slide for less than 1500
Old 10-20-2016, 9:11 PM
Veteran Member

You don't absolutely have to have a lug cutter kit...but it does help.

One can do fit the lower lugs with scrapers, files and stones. It might be easier if you didn't go for a full gunsmith fit barrel them. Consider perhaps one of the EZ fit barrels, there will still be work to do but less than a full gunsmith fit barrel.
Old 10-21-2016, 3:37 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Cuda View Post
Says who???
Old 10-21-2016, 3:45 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychbiker View Post
I thought getting a beavertail grip safety jig and lug cutter were the last tools I needed in addition to a matrix rail cutter, barrel cutter, files, vice block, punch set..... BUT now it seems I need:

plunger tube staker
Lug Cutter Kit (barrel holder, two cutters, handle) $180 @ brownells
Barrel alignment tool

How must have are these tools? I have a 1911 I'm building and a 2011 I'm building. How difficult would it be to cut the lug WITHOUT the complete $180 kit Brownells sells? Just using the standard lug cutter.

The only 1911 specific tools I own are a bushing wrench, and a plunger staker, But I've also got a full machine shop in my garage and enough tools and tooling to be in business tomorrow making anything that can fit through the door.

The real question is how good are you at hand filing shapes and knowing when to stop filing to check your fit??

i cut my lugs in the mill. I use a ball endmill and a v block fixture. Nothing 1911 specific. just standard tool room stuff. but my V blocks cost far more than a lug cutter
Old 10-21-2016, 5:00 AM

Amen to that, I have built over 12 of them and made my own Staking tool, Slide holding fixture, Sight pushing tool and modified other tooling for starting with 0% castings.

Last edited by tr6guns; 10-21-2016 at 3:23 PM.. Reason: word change
Old 10-21-2016, 7:09 AM

I'm talking about hand tools and not having access to a mill. I almost got one but looked into the price in vices, collets etc and it wasn't worth it. I need a wood bandsaw more than a metal milling machine.

As for a needing or not needing the lug cutter kit, guess it depends on the quality and quickness in build I'm doing. Think I might just suck it and get the tools. I already got most of the matrix precession gear and don't want to turn ANOTHER frame into a paperweight -so pissed about that-

I'll just have to plan to make a couple more like an officers size.