Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 10-24-2016, 5:21 AM

Default H&R 7.62 M1 Garand Info

I posted an intro this morning and am looking for some info on a rifle I acquired recently.

As the title states, I have a Harrington and Richardson M1 Garand in 7.62mm. It has the following parts that I could identify with SN's during disass.

Trigger Housing
D28290-12-SA

Bolt
6528287-SA

Receiver
F 6528291

Barrel
RPS 1 IN 10 JFR
6-79

This rifle was owned by a gentlemen while he served in the Navy and competed in at least one, if not more, shooting events. The paperwork I have with it shows him as the winner of a competition held in Vallejo in 1964. The photo of the shooters has him bottom row, far left. The 3rd photo is him being awarded a trophy for winning the match. All info came from the man's daughter. She stated that this was the rifle he used during his competitions. She also said that the red dots next to the names of the competitors were those of the Marines, as it was his main goal to defeat them during the match. Being a former Marine myself, I thought that was pretty funny.

My questions:

1. The DOD proofing mark is clearly marked, yet extremely smooth, no texture. Is this common?

2. I am assuming the numbers on the buttstock are armory numbers?

3. Has this rifle been rebarreled outside of the Navy? I cannot find anything resembling the barrel numbers that are on this rifle. Not the 7.62mm, but the RPS 1 IN 10 JFR 6-79. I am assuming 6-79 is the year. I do not know the Sailor's time in service, whether he was still enlisted during 1979.

I'm not looking for a price or what it's worth. I am interested in the information and look forward to taking the rifle to the range after some maintenance and proper ammo is acquired. Thank you to anyone who can help. If you need any other pictures or info, let me know.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EPSON012.jpg (93.5 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg EPSON013.jpg (99.5 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg EPSON014.jpg (94.2 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1330.jpg (85.6 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1332.jpg (89.2 KB, 63 views)
Old 10-24-2016, 5:22 AM

More pictures:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1338.jpg (98.2 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1339.jpg (95.0 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1340.jpg (95.4 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1341.jpg (93.1 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1343.jpg (86.6 KB, 47 views)
Old 10-24-2016, 6:01 AM

There's a lot of info on the CMP boards about Navy garands. Interesting rifle. Does the stock number match the rifle serial?
Old 10-24-2016, 6:06 AM

What you have is a tack driving rifle built for a competitive shooter. Well most likely a tack driver.

It has been rebuilt by the military (etching on receiver leg) and then rebuilt by some armorer who put a commercial barrel on it.

The AA on the stock is the Augusta Arsenal (stock was on a rifle that went thru rebuild) and the etching indicate rebuild at the Springfield armory in 1965

Collectable only in the sense that you have some of the history documented - but this gun is a shooter - it has a mix of parts -

Take it out and run it hard - or better yet - use this as the reason YOU get into competitive shooting

Steve
Old 10-24-2016, 6:11 AM

I missed that barrel pic.....that is a weird looking one. Don't know anything about it, except the 70's were weird.
Old 10-24-2016, 6:24 AM
Veteran Member

Duckwall, while I have no doubts that the guy used a Garand, and possibly that Garand, in 1964, I highly doubt that he used it with that barrel on it.
USGI barrels do not have the rifling twist marked on them(1 in 10). There is a chance, though, that the Armorer working on the rifle would have stamped his initials in it(JFR).
I also realize that the Military might(MIGHT) have used an aftermarket commercial barrel, but again, that is doubtful since they had their own match grade military barrels that were numbered as such. Note, it is blued not parked, and would not have those strange cuts in the barrel.
That is not a USGI barrel, with a 6-79 barrel date (a barrel is usually dated when it is rebarreled by commercial gunsmiths) it could not have been used in that condition in 1964.
The rifle might have been rebuilt with a military match barrel in 1965(date on the receiver leg), but most certainly not with that barrel.

Here is a pic of a USGI 7.62mm barrel. A military match barrel would have looked similar, but would have a different part(stock) number.

Old 10-24-2016, 6:43 AM

Thank you for the replies.

I thought those were the initials of the armorer on the barrel, but wasn't sure. I didn't put it together that the "565" etching was 5/65, either.

So, if this was the rifle that he used in his competitions while a Sailor, how did he come to own it after his enlistment? Was it a Navy rifle or was it his personal rifle while he used it in the competition? I'm curious.
Old 10-24-2016, 6:53 AM

First off the ONLY serial number is on the heel of the receiver. The other numbers are part/drawing numbers. The US didn't serial number match all parts like the Krauts ( think Mauser).
Jon
Old 10-24-2016, 8:31 AM
Veteran Member

It has a match rear sight, so I believe someone shot it in matches. If they used it in a lot of matches over several years, they probably had to re-barrel it as well. Maybe that is why it has a commercial barrel on it.
Old 10-24-2016, 2:36 PM

Not a USGI barrel
Old 10-24-2016, 3:53 PM

The rear sight hood rotates 180*. That gives the 1/2 minute adjustment. The notch signifies whether the aperture is up or down from the centerline.
Jon
Old 10-24-2016, 8:27 PM

Not likely he used it in military career - my guess is it was his personal rifle used to compete after service. It doesn't have any of the tell tale signs of a military match rifle -

Steve
Old 10-26-2016, 5:01 AM

Thank you all for the info. It seems as though I have a rifle that was at least owned and fired by a great shooter and deserves to be taken to the range again.
Old 10-26-2016, 5:25 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckwall View Post
Thank you all for the info. It seems as though I have a rifle that was at least owned and fired by a great shooter and deserves to be taken to the range again.
OP check out the Motherlode Gun Club,they have a highpower match the 1st Sat of every month.1st time shooter entry is free.