Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 03-14-2017, 8:01 AM

I am currently on Day 50...has anybody waited any longer than I have?
Submitted my renewal on 01/23/17.
Old 03-14-2017, 1:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mansu View Post
I am currently on Day 50...has anybody waited any longer than I have?
Submitted my renewal on 01/23/17.
You should hear soon. I submitted my package on the same date, and received an email that my permit was renewed just after 5 pm on Thursday, 3/9.
Old 03-14-2017, 2:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Ben View Post
You should hear soon. I submitted my package on the same date, and received an email that my permit was renewed just after 5 pm on Thursday, 3/9.
I hope the email didn't go to my junk folder. Did your status bar change from saying "Assigned to Processor / Processing Order" to something different? Perhaps saying completed or something along those lines?
Old 03-14-2017, 2:28 PM

I didn't check. Sorry!

Not that it helps, but I just checked it and it says "Permit Delivered" now.
Old 03-15-2017, 4:16 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
I hope the email didn't go to my junk folder. Did your status bar change from saying "Assigned to Processor / Processing Order" to something different? Perhaps saying completed or something along those lines?
I submitted renewal on Jan 22. On Mar 9, I received:
1. Email from Sac SSD
2. Email from Permitium
3. Automated voicemail call saying the permit was ready.

That's three channels that have to fail....
Old 03-16-2017, 6:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvrjon View Post
I submitted renewal on Jan 22. On Mar 9, I received:
1. Email from Sac SSD
2. Email from Permitium
3. Automated voicemail call saying the permit was ready.

That's three channels that have to fail....
Wow, I wonder what the hell is taking so long on my app? Now when i email I only get a canned form letter FAQ and when I call it just rings and rings and finally a busy signal.
Old 03-16-2017, 7:36 AM

Quote:
Wow, I wonder what the hell is taking so long on my app? Now when i email I only get a canned form letter FAQ and when I call it just rings and rings and finally a busy signal.
Sometimes, important information can be obtained by reading some of the older posts and also reading the Sac Sheriff's publications.

Start with last page, last line, here: http://www.sacramentocountyccw.com/i...%20Process.pdf
Old 03-16-2017, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Sometimes, important information can be obtained by reading some of the older posts and also reading the Sac Sheriff's publications.

Start with last page, last line, here: http://www.sacramentocountyccw.com/i...%20Process.pdf
Thanks but they are only responding with form letters via email and when i call from a land line the phone rings and rings and eventually a busy signal. So I called from my cell phone and it rang until someone answered. he said they were all done with January and were doing February. He couldn't get out of what he was in to check on my application but he would look into it an email me. Glad I called...now we'll see if he follows through.

edit: that PDF is out of date. They no longer process the applications downtown, teh awong email address is not used and that is not the correct number.

real link: http://www.sacsheriff.com/Pages/Orga...IB/CCWFaq.aspx

Last edited by Mansu; 03-16-2017 at 11:40 AM..
Old 03-16-2017, 2:44 PM

One last update...
after I called and got through I suddenly, mysteriously, received an automated call and email saying I can pick up my permit. The nice guy did follow through. Point is follow up I guess.
Old 03-16-2017, 2:55 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruss01 View Post
Submitted everything online February 8th.

Still "waiting to be assigned".

Guess I'll check it again in another couple of weeks.
Heard back from them today asking for the following info:

Submit a form that wasn't requested on the initial submittal (the training certificate)

Indicate which of the 3 that they allow (of the 5 they promised) I want on the permit, seeing as how I took them at their word and qualified (and paid for) 5.

Politely asked them what kind of remediation they would be coming up with for the case of those who were told 5, paid for 5, qualified with 5, submitted 5... and then were told "no, just 3". I'd really like to see how they're going to handle that one.

Submitted the additional docs online within an hour of getting their email.

Hopefully it won't be much longer.
Old 03-16-2017, 3:34 PM

Looks like they're really trying to work through the backlog. I submitted my renewal online on February 9th. Just got an email and automated call that my permit is ready for pickup on the next available pickup day, which will be next Tuesday. No appointment needed. My old permit was set to expire the 25th so I'm pretty happy. Hopefully things will speed up for everyone else waiting.

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk
Old 03-16-2017, 7:32 PM

Quote:
Thanks but they are only responding with form letters via email and when i call from a land line the phone rings and rings and eventually a busy signal. So I called from my cell phone and it rang until someone answered. he said they were all done with January and were doing February. He couldn't get out of what he was in to check on my application but he would look into it an email me. Glad I called...now we'll see if he follows through.

edit: that PDF is out of date. They no longer process the applications downtown, teh awong email address is not used and that is not the correct number.

real link: http://www.sacsheriff.com/Pages/Orga...IB/CCWFaq.aspx
I apologize for being indirect with you. There's a reason I told you to read just the last line of that document.

Amber Wong is still running the show. I spoke directly with her (FTF) in Dec and earlier this month. Her email address is still good. In five years, I have not seen or known of an instance when Amber did not personally respond to direct email.

Congrats on your success.

Last edited by Dvrjon; 03-16-2017 at 7:35 PM..
Old 03-21-2017, 5:11 PM

Looks like they are getting caught up or more proficient. I submitted my renewal app on February 16, as my permit expired on March 11. Today, March 21, I was informed my permit was available for pickup. So for me it was 33 days. I believe you can now submit 45 days in advance of your expiration. At the time I submitted the web site indicated not before 30 days. So my timeline experience would indicate that if you submit your app as early as possible (45 day out) you probably will will get your permit before your current expiration.

I called the sheriff's office on March 8th and was told at the time they were still working on January applications, I figured based on that info I was looking at at least 45 passed my expiration. Its getting better!
Old 03-22-2017, 7:42 PM
Veteran Member

Good to hear.

Sent from my secret bunker using Tapatalk
Old 03-22-2017, 9:50 PM

Does anyone know what "current range slips" is for issuance?

Please bring with you a cashier's check or money order to cover the issuance fee ($80.00 To Sacramento County, (no personal checks)), current range slips as well as a copy of your 16 hour training certificate. You must also bring proof of your residency, which is a month-to-month bill dated within the last 60 days that is NOT overdue!
Old 03-22-2017, 9:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VL221 View Post
Does anyone know what "current range slips" is for issuance?

Please bring with you a cashier's check or money order to cover the issuance fee ($80.00 To Sacramento County, (no personal checks)), current range slips as well as a copy of your 16 hour training certificate. You must also bring proof of your residency, which is a month-to-month bill dated within the last 60 days that is NOT overdue!
That should be a filled out copy of Sacramento Sheriff’s Carry Concealed Handgun Training and Qualification form that the instructor should help you complete showing that you qualified on whatever guns you are putting on your permit.

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk
Old 03-23-2017, 5:22 AM

^This^ = https://www.sacsheriff.com/Pages/Org...Range_Slip.pdf

Your training activity will supply it.
Old 03-23-2017, 1:27 PM

Cool. Thank you both
Old 03-23-2017, 3:21 PM

I posted in the Sac County thread as well, but in case anybody is curious what timelines are looking like for NEW applications, I submitted my app yesterday 3/22 and the fist available appointment was 7/17. Pretty discouraging considering we have no idea if this process is going to streamline the process in any way.
Old 03-23-2017, 3:27 PM

Quote:
Cool. Thank you both
Just a caution; Please make sure you are following the current instructions for the new system. The language you cited talks about bringing payment in money order form....that doesn't happen anymore.
Old 03-23-2017, 3:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DS94901 View Post
I posted in the Sac County thread as well, but in case anybody is curious what timelines are looking like for NEW applications, I submitted my app yesterday 3/22 and the fist available appointment was 7/17. Pretty discouraging considering we have no idea if this process is going to streamline the process in any way.
You got a slot with a 3-month lead time. Under the old system, you wouldn't have that, as they only posted slots 2-months out.

Under the old system, you did a preliminary review just to make sure you had all the necessary information. Under this system, if needed, you should receive feedback and an opportunity to clarify submissions which will speed overall processing.

If you want to see the impact of streamlining, renewals take all of 5-10 minutes in the office instead of the previous 20-30 minutes.

Best.
Old 03-23-2017, 4:48 PM

Quote:
Just a caution; Please make sure you are following the current instructions for the new system. The language you cited talks about bringing payment in money order form....that doesn't happen anymore.
Wait what? How do I make payment for issuance?
Old 03-23-2017, 5:16 PM

Quote:
Wait what? How do I make payment for issuance?
Sorry, I admit I am working on the presumption that, when scheduled for issuance, you will make a final online payment for the license. The SSD seems to have moved away from taking direct payments, and routing the payments through Permitium.

We know the information you quoted from is old, as it requires you to bring copies of training and proof of residency with you. These are all submitted online in the new system.
Old 03-24-2017, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DS94901 View Post
Here was my timeline from Initial appointment to Issuance appointment.

10/31/16 Initial interview
12/15/16 Application approval
12/16/16 Livescan submitted
2/15/17 Livescan approved
3/18-3/19/17 CCW class
3/24/17 Issuance appointment
Old 04-04-2017, 2:40 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Heard back from them today asking for the following info:

Submit a form that wasn't requested on the initial submittal (the training certificate)

Indicate which of the 3 that they allow (of the 5 they promised) I want on the permit, seeing as how I took them at their word and qualified (and paid for) 5.

Politely asked them what kind of remediation they would be coming up with for the case of those who were told 5, paid for 5, qualified with 5, submitted 5... and then were told "no, just 3". I'd really like to see how they're going to handle that one.

Submitted the additional docs online within an hour of getting their email.

Hopefully it won't be much longer.
Received automated phone message and email advising me the permit is ready to be picked up.

February 8th to April 4th is 55 days for renewal.
Old 04-04-2017, 3:41 PM

Quote:
One last update...
after I called and got through I suddenly, mysteriously, received an automated call and email saying I can pick up my permit. The nice guy did follow through. Point is follow up I guess.
Same thing happened to me. I saw people get their pick-up dates when they submitted their training after I did. I emailed, called and called. Finally I spoke with someone who actually looked me up a the computer system and then a day later I get a final appointment. I'm in a different county than you but the logic still stands. It helps to get in touch with an actual person and be persistent that they follow through.
Old 04-04-2017, 9:00 PM

Submitted my renewal for Sac County on 4/3/17.....

will update when I receive my permit.
Old 04-11-2017, 9:19 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Received automated phone message and email advising me the permit is ready to be picked up.

February 8th to April 4th is 55 days for renewal.
Picked it up today. No ETA on new cards or 5-gun limit. DOJ is the fustercluck here. My bet is they will wait to see how Peruta turns out before sinking any money into this.
Old 04-12-2017, 5:23 PM

Quote:
Picked it up today. No ETA on new cards or 5-gun limit. DOJ is the fustercluck here. My bet is they will wait to see how Peruta turns out before sinking any money into this.
Sac Sheriff could bypass this under the statute:
Quote:
(B) The Attorney General shall approve the use of licenses issued by local agencies that contain all the information required in subdivision (i), including a recent photograph of the applicant, and are deemed to be in substantial compliance with standards developed by the committee described in subparagraph (C), if developed, as they relate to the physical dimensions and general appearance of the licenses. The Attorney General shall retain exemplars of approved licenses and shall maintain a list of agencies issuing local licenses. Approved licenses may be used as indicia of proof of licensure under this chapter in lieu of the uniform license developed by the Attorney General.
Other agencies have been issuing credit card CCW IDs for years. All the sheriff has to do is create a Sacramento license and submit to OAG to press the issue.

However, the politics in this region may hamstring that effort.
Old 04-13-2017, 3:49 AM
Banned

how is it going to be funded ?
Old 04-13-2017, 9:25 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Sac Sheriff could bypass this under the statute:
Other agencies have been issuing credit card CCW IDs for years. All the sheriff has to do is create a Sacramento license and submit to OAG to press the issue.

However, the politics in this region may hamstring that effort.
While I agree with you in principle, from an administrator's point of view there are reasons to sit on this and wait for DOJ to hatch something.

For starters, Peruta is being considered for cert at SC and bears heavily on this matter. If CA becomes shall-issue as a result of a ruling at SCOTUS, then DOJ will be motivated to standardize the process across the state. No doubt sheriffs are watching this with the same anticipation. Why design your own permit, pay to get plastic produced, roll it out into production - and then six months later have the DOJ come out with a "standard" that your homegrown cards now do not match up with? How much time was wasted, how much money has been sunk into producing a stockpile of cards that now have to be destroyed so they can be replaced with the new standard?

From a sheriff's POV it makes sense to hold off a while and see what shakes out. Do it once, do it right, have everyone all on the same page... if it's a possible option, it makes sense to hold out until you know one way or another if it's a likely event.
Old 04-13-2017, 9:37 AM

I agree. Just because you CAN do something, doesn't mean you should do it. The Board of Sups, Mayor Steinberg and Sen McCarty are all waiting to pounce.
Old 04-13-2017, 11:29 AM
Veteran Member

Default New CCW system in Sacramento

Quote:
I agree. Just because you CAN do something, doesn't mean you should do it. The Board of Sups, Mayor Steinberg and Sen McCarty are all waiting to pounce.

And that assemblage, plus the looming Sheriff's election less than 2 years from now, are cause to wonder if all these details may soon be a moot point in Sac County, unfortunately. If concealed carry is successfully made into a major campaign issue by an anti-LTC candidate with the backing of the Steinberg cabal, it won't bode well. The number of people in this county who would actively oppose LTC if it were to become a major part of the campaign outnumber people who actively support it. Those who are apathetic are probably more prone to being swayed to oppose rather than support it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited by Old_Bald_Guy; 04-13-2017 at 11:34 AM..
Old 04-13-2017, 3:26 PM

Got my renewal today, took 75 days. Still on rice paper but no complaints, at least its done.
Old 04-13-2017, 4:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Bald_Guy View Post
And that assemblage, plus the looming Sheriff's election less than 2 years from now, are cause to wonder if all these details may soon be a moot point in Sac County, unfortunately. If concealed carry is successfully made into a major campaign issue by an anti-LTC candidate with the backing of the Steinberg cabal, it won't bode well. The number of people in this county who would actively oppose LTC if it were to become a major part of the campaign outnumber people who actively support it. Those who are apathetic are probably more prone to being swayed to oppose rather than support it.

you demonstrate a rather interesting pattern in posting...
Quote:
Originally Posted by cannon View Post
You have not been here long enough to see how low they can really go.
Old 04-13-2017, 5:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalRT View Post
My CCW expires 2/25, submitted my paper work 2/05. Looks like I wont be carrying for a bit.
Why would you only give your self 20 days for a renewal?

This is CA they can't do anything in 20 days.

I thought Sac County was a 60 Renewal Process.
Old 04-13-2017, 7:32 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosuchagency View Post
you demonstrate a rather interesting pattern in posting...

Alrighty then.

Old 04-14-2017, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CACCW View Post
Why would you only give your self 20 days for a renewal?

This is CA they can't do anything in 20 days.
Hmmmmm...
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Deuce View Post
Renewal update.

20 Days

Submitted renewal 3/24
Email for additional paperwork 3/11 (drop 2 firearms from my application)
Notification email 4/13 -- picked up
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSD! View Post
Applied 40 days early, approved at 20 days, so good job Sac Co SO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by smallshot13 View Post
Got my notice to pick up renewed permit.
All the discussion here had me very worried. Current permit expires 4/29.

I submitted my application on 3/22, thinking that I would be at least 45 days. So now I pick it up on 4/13, or 16 days before the original expires.

Must have done something right for a change. This is how the system should work. Great job Sac Sheriff's office.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CACCW View Post
I thought Sac County was a 60 Renewal Process.
It was; it isn't anymore. Although the website gives both 30 days and 45 days as the window to apply.
Old 04-17-2017, 8:44 AM

Anyone know whats going on with issuance appointments? They are not answering the phone, not answering emails and there have not been any appointments since April 7th it seems?
Old 04-21-2017, 8:24 AM

I haven't seen anyone post anything about modifications, so I will. Since they are waiting on the DOJ, modifications for the 5 gun limit and new card are denied(but thats a given after reading here). I got a nice denial message from the new system the other day after 3 months of patiently waiting.
Oh well, hopefully it all gets sorted out by 2018 when I'm up for renewal.