Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Holsters, Equipment and Accessories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Holsters, Equipment and Accessories Questions, answers and discussions regarding equipment specific to concealed carry.

Old 02-16-2017, 8:16 AM

Default Hey Fat Guys

For the 40" & up waistband guys, finding a comfortable holster is tougher, especially one you can sit with. Has anyone tried the Brave Response? Seems like another problematic option to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6nnRPLxqvQ
Human beings only have two ways to deal with one another: reason and force. Force has no place as a valid method of social interaction, and the only thing that removes force from the menu is the personal firearm, as paradoxical as it may sound to some.

The U.S. city with the most restrictive gun laws in the nation, Washington, D.C., has the highest murder rate at 24 per 100,000.
The state with the most unrestrictive gun regulations, Vermont, has the lowest murder rate at 0.48 per 100,000.
Old 02-16-2017, 8:23 AM

I am "big boneded" and I use a T5customkydex in appendix with no issue... I don't quite meet your criteria but I am close and these are very comfortable...
Old 02-16-2017, 8:48 AM

I dislike having a chambered gun pointed at my junk. Maybe that's just me. <g>
Human beings only have two ways to deal with one another: reason and force. Force has no place as a valid method of social interaction, and the only thing that removes force from the menu is the personal firearm, as paradoxical as it may sound to some.

The U.S. city with the most restrictive gun laws in the nation, Washington, D.C., has the highest murder rate at 24 per 100,000.
The state with the most unrestrictive gun regulations, Vermont, has the lowest murder rate at 0.48 per 100,000.
Old 02-16-2017, 9:55 AM
Global Warming Enthusiast
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC9696 View Post
I dislike having a chambered gun pointed at my junk. Maybe that's just me. <g>
Unless you are more endowed than you are fat, I think the angle is probably safe.
Old 02-16-2017, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACfixer View Post
Unless you are more endowed than you are fat, I think the angle is probably safe.
I can hit a small target without even trying. Prefer strong arm.

Old 02-17-2017, 8:23 AM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkside View Post
I am "big boneded" and I use a T5customkydex in appendix with no issue... I don't quite meet your criteria but I am close and these are very comfortable...
I used to refer to myself as "big boned"

But my doctor said "Have you ever seen a fat skeleton?"
Old 02-17-2017, 8:48 AM

I'm 42" waist and have to do 4'oclock position with aggressive cant for Crossbreed is not ideal but doable for a few hrs in sitting position
Old 02-17-2017, 9:31 AM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dk94044 View Post
I'm 42" waist and have to do 4'oclock position with aggressive cant for Crossbreed is not ideal but doable for a few hrs in sitting position
How it is for driving?
Old 02-17-2017, 9:34 AM

Yeah, exercising way too hard.
Old 02-17-2017, 12:10 PM
Map Maker
CGN Contributor

Quote:
For the 40" & up waistband guys, finding a comfortable holster is tougher, especially one you can sit with. Has anyone tried the Brave Response? Seems like another problematic option to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6nnRPLxqvQ

I'm a pretty large guy, but I've not tried Brave Responses products. I did however go with a top-of-the-line Mike's Special holster from TT Gun Leather. It wasn't cheap but the thing is nearly indestructible and will likely last longer than my PX-4 Beretta will. It's a good quality product and very well-made.

It's comfortable for daily use, sitting and long-term driving. I wore it for a ten day cross country round trip two years ago and had no problems with comfort when sitting in the car and driving all day. The only downside is that it comes with belt loops vice clips, and it's harder to take on and off every day. I bought another holster from TT Gun Leather, it has clips and I use it daily. It's nice but not as nice as the Mike Special.
"The best gun is the one you'll have on you when you need it the most, the one you know how to use, the one that goes BANG every single time you pull the trigger. Whether that gun cost you $349 or $1,100 it's worth every penny if it saves your life, or the life of someone you love.” -Tim Schmit, CCW Magazine July 2015

NRA Lifetime Member : CalGuns Lifetime Member : GOA Lifetime Member

Old 02-17-2017, 12:20 PM

It's not fat, it's chunky.....
Old 02-19-2017, 4:47 PM
Banned

With 15 months under my belt or chest I can say this is comfy. Walmart $5. I'm on my 2nd one. Holster has never fallen out. Bad guy shoots your drawing arm off, NP you can draw with the weak one. No pinch, no one is getting the nuclear football from you. I love it.

SP101 or Sig P238

Old 02-22-2017, 9:21 AM
CGN Contributor

^^^ Looks fine for Nov-Mar, how does that work out for you in July? My CCW career is short and quite limited, but I'm already figuring out there's not trick to concealment in the cooler weather.
Old 02-22-2017, 4:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACfixer View Post
^^^ Looks fine for Nov-Mar, how does that work out for you in July? My CCW career is short and quite limited, but I'm already figuring out there's not trick to concealment in the cooler weather.
I don't find it a problem in hotter weather. I do always wear a thin under shirt because the band collects perspiration. The weapon needs to be wiped down after use also to take moisture off. Sp101 is stainless, no issues, less care.

I normally wear a thin short sleeve button shirt but do occasionally wear a loose T-shirt. No one expects a gun there. Hugs are out.

With a little practice it's sub 1 second draw. Lots of advantages imo.
Old 02-25-2017, 2:24 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Galco Concealable Holster - OWB@3:00-3:30 on a Bullhide leather belt

I wear longer shirts all the time anyway, so it works perfectly for me. 100% comfortable, easy access & reholstering, doesn't dig into the car seat leather when driving.

Old 03-02-2017, 2:27 PM

Sticky Holsters work for me, and I'm rather hefty.
Old 03-03-2017, 1:21 AM

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/684...el-leather-tan

This is what I use for my EMP. They make them for a handful of different guns.

Very easy to get a full grip and concealable. I ware it at 3-3-4 O'clock position. @ 3 O'clock you can draw from seated in a car. Whatever you choos, practice is what will make it work for you.
" A Free People Ought Not Only Be Armed And Disciplined But Should Have Sufficient Arms And Ammunition To Maintain A Status Of Independence From Any Who Might Attempt To Abuse Them, Which Also Includes Their Own Government."
~George Washington~
Old 03-05-2017, 12:05 PM
Cry Havok!
CGN Contributor

Im a large man, and i wear a desantis cozy partner for my g32 and g 30 no issue at 4 o clock iwb. Most comfortable iwb option i havefound. I wear t shirts and shorts everyday and no issues with printing if you wear size appropriate clothing.
"Para ser libre, un hombre debe tener tres cosas, la tierra, una educacion y un fusil. Siempre un fusil ! (To be free, a man must have three things; land, an education and a rifle. Always a rifle)" -Emiliano Zapata.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsrocket1 View Post
Of course they are in free territory where they can pick up ammunition at the local 5 and dime without going through a criminal background check. All we get is legalized pot.
Old 03-17-2017, 3:52 AM

Hi. The name of holster? I couldn't find it. Thanks
Old 03-17-2017, 4:01 AM
No longer in Business
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Big & tall dude here. 6'5" 250lbs. Abs haven't been visible since 1976 but I bench 400lbs. Haven't tried the Brave Response but I routinely carry using a Kenai chest holster. With that rig I can make a S&W 460XVR 8 3/8" revolver disappear under a light zippered hoodie. For open carry I typically swap out the 460XVR shell for a Glock 21 shell. For summer carry I drop back to the Ruger LCP in a pocket holster.

-Mark
Old 03-17-2017, 2:58 PM
Veteran Member

There is always this option:

http://crimefeed.com/2015/05/man-hid...n-in-his-anus/
Old 03-17-2017, 3:46 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdben92883 View Post
Always an option, but I've found that drawing quickly and reholstering to be a bit slower.
Old 03-17-2017, 4:46 PM
Love God Love People
CGN Contributor

I have a 38" waist and I wear 40" pants with a Tucker Gun Leather " The Answer" @ approx 3:30 (crossbreed is a cheap copy of these, Tucker was the original) This holster works in all weather and stages of dress from shorts and a t-shirt to whatever. Works while driving and sitting in an office. It's solid, secure and comfortable. Buy cheap a dozen times or buy good just once. 2 years plus @ 16 hours a day, 7 days a week and still going strong. The belt clips are the weak point on these, I bought a thicker sheet of kydex and made about 20 spares. They can catch on door jambs etc and snap. Wish they had a metal version.

Last edited by psssniper; 03-17-2017 at 4:52 PM..
Old 03-18-2017, 8:34 AM

I wore a CB supertuck for several years but recently decided it was just too damned big and bulky for carrying a small gun and went to a much smaller and lighter single clip kydex holster.
As far as comfort it's my belief it has more to do with the gun than the holster. Would you rather sit on a baseball bat or a tennis racket?
Old 03-18-2017, 2:43 PM

I conceal carry a SP 2022 with Remora Holster 4 clock position. 5'9 260 pounds. Very confortable.
Old 03-18-2017, 5:48 PM

I'm over 300 n I use a Alien Gear Holster IWB for my SD9VE. I've taken it out on different occasions and it's really comfortable. Driving or just hanging out sometimes u forget u are actually carrying. http://aliengearholsters.com/

Chrly9
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-14-2017, 12:36 PM

Now I am using Remora and Sticky holsters at 4 all the time. Most comfortable and easier to remove/lock up when necessary.

Old 06-14-2017, 3:27 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Now I am using Remora and Sticky holsters at 4 all the time. Most comfortable and easier to remove/lock up when necessary.
Good choice, effective, comfortable. (As long as you don't wear a tucked in shirt).
Old 06-14-2017, 3:52 PM

Never used Brave Response but Galco Combat Master with full size Sig, no issues other than seat belt. 6'2" 325 - **** hides almost everything but I dress bulky
Old 06-14-2017, 4:07 PM

Looked at BR holster on concealedcarry.com website, belt independent of pant waist band could cause issues and sit too low for solid grip. IMO, Supertuck or similar that secures to belt/pant at waist line would likely serve better. Guess you could put suspenders on belt and get it to ride at consistent height. Pistol and mags on same side seems a stretch.
Old 06-14-2017, 4:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixoclockhold View Post
With 15 months under my belt or chest I can say this is comfy. Walmart $5. I'm on my 2nd one. Holster has never fallen out. Bad guy shoots your drawing arm off, NP you can draw with the weak one. No pinch, no one is getting the nuclear football from you. I love it.

SP101 or Sig P238

What is it?

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”

― Mark Twain
Old 06-15-2017, 4:54 PM
Veteran Member

I prefer the term husky. Like the ol Sears jeans.

"From Hell's heart, I stab at thee; For hate's sake, I spit my last breath at thee." -Khan

"There is no reason to be alive if you can't do deadlift."-J.P.S.
Old 06-20-2017, 5:49 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Special View Post
What is it?
I want to know also. No brand name and pics are not linking correctly.