Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Firearms Accessories: Holsters, Safes, Lights & more
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Firearms Accessories: Holsters, Safes, Lights & more If it locks up, carries, fits on to or cleans up your firearms, discuss it here.

Old 01-07-2013, 7:37 PM

Default Home Depot gun Safes

Hi everyone, new to cal guns, this is my first post.

I'm thinking about buying a gun safe from Home Depot, and before I do, I thought I'd solicit some opinions first.

- Anyone own one? Are you happy with it? Do you think it's a good value price vs quality?

- Anyone run into a problem forgetting the combination? How do you resolve that?

Thanks alot for your input/comments.
Old 01-07-2013, 7:53 PM

I would look at COSTCO first. There you will likely find better quality safes for little or no difference.

As for the combination, thats the one thing you will want to keep stored in the ol' brain housing group!
Old 01-07-2013, 8:10 PM
Banned

Any safe is better than no safe, with that said - any safe can be broken into, cut into etc - ANY SAFE. IMO, a safe is only made to keep the average burglar / neighbourhood teenage thief, from getting into my house and just walking out with my guns.

Buy the best you can afford, and buy the biggest you can afford - even though you might not be anywhere close to filling it. Make sure its bolted down.

Combos are easy to remember, all numeric keypads have alpha characters on them - all you have to do is memorize a 6 digit word.

6 letter greek names

10,058 6 letter German words (GREAT word finder)

Last edited by bill_k_lopez; 01-07-2013 at 8:14 PM..
Old 01-07-2013, 8:13 PM
I need a LIFE!!

You get what you pay for. RSC's are relatively similar, however you can buy more steel, sometimes quite a bit more steel which makes a larger difference in protection (but a lot more weight and cost), and better more reliable lock mechanisms and features. It's up to you and what you seek to protect and how you do it. As someone said, any of them beat hands down having none.

The moment the idea is admitted into society, that property is not as sacred as the laws of God, and that there is not a force of law and public justice to protect it, anarchy and tyranny commence.' and that `Property is surely a right of mankind as real as liberty.'
- John Adams

http://www.usdebtclock.org/
Old 01-07-2013, 9:02 PM
I need a LIFE!!

My bro in law is with the military. He gave me links to deals for the military for safes.

After all my research- Costco sales are the cheapest I have found. (Depot, lowes, Walmart, sams, etc)

Unless you want to step up to a higher quality safe- as most of us buy Residential Security Containers- costco is a great deal.

Another choice is a used model from Craigs list...

Rule 2 -NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT PREPARED TO DESTROY (including your hands and legs)

Rule 3 -KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET

Rule 4 -BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET AND WHAT IS BEYOND IT
(thanks to Jeff Cooper)
Old 01-07-2013, 9:34 PM
I need a LIFE!!

do your homework here on Calguns; there are many threads dedicated to safe selection that have been posted here.

consider a used safe from the secondary market; CL is a good source for used safes.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:10 PM

Something is better than nothing.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:10 PM

Something is better than nothing.
Old 01-08-2013, 4:54 AM

Got my hands on a Home Depot-Sentry 24 gun fire safe. Keypad entry. Fire rating to 1400 degree for 1/2 hour. Nice safe almost 500 pounds. I have had problems with the keypad sytem accepting code. They are sending me a new solenoid. Safe cost me $450 out the door. Good deal.
Old 01-08-2013, 8:20 AM

All great info. #1 key in my selection process was Steel Thickness........minimum of 10 guage steel on the sides, as this is the area where a novice thief can attack your safe. Anything under $1,200 will likely be 12 guage steel. Most people can take an Axe or Pitch Fork to 12 guage and get into the safe in less than 5 minutes. That is not the case with 10 guage. Thicker steel even better. I am in the market for a good safe and will be checking out Sportsman Steel in Long Beach this weekend. Been doing alot of research and these guys seem to manufacture a great product without breaking the bank.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:30 PM
Veteran Member

Very pleased with my Bighorn from Costco - bought on sale w/free delivery
Old 01-09-2013, 10:48 PM

Used is a good choice to get more space for less money. However, the big heads up is picking between mechanical and digital lock. There are pros and cons for both. You can look up YouTube videos on the subject.

Personally, I prefer mechanical due to long term reliability. Yes digital is faster but there is a higher chance of failure if you don't change things out in time. To have a pro drill the safe it will cost you as much as the safe. It's personal bias and my research talking to gun safe manufactures and getting their opinion on long term use.

If you do go with a mechanical lock make sure the tumbler has a brand name in it, not just blank. If you buy a used mechanical safe it can be reset by a locksmith and set to a custom numbering set.

My recommendation for folks in the Central Valley would be the Safe Company in Visalia CA, best deal and quality. They are usually at guns show in Fresno, Turlock, and Bakersfield. Be careful not to confuse them with Visalia Safe Company, that's a different company that makes custom safes. I have bought 2 safes one for me and one for my father in law. Both of us are very satisfied with our safes.

Last edited by Cpt; 01-09-2013 at 10:54 PM..
Old 01-09-2013, 10:59 PM

http://www.rhinosafe.com/rhinosafes.html

One of the best that I could find for the money. 10 gauge steel and they also make the Big Horn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-10-2013, 8:52 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by atc4usmc View Post
I would look at COSTCO first. There you will likely find better quality safes for little or no difference.

As for the combination, thats the one thing you will want to keep stored in the ol' brain housing group!
I already have a safe but ...

What about those of us who don't have a Costco membership? And don't know anybody with a Costco membership? Consider us too.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:12 AM
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by NytWolf View Post
I already have a safe but ...

What about those of us who don't have a Costco membership? And don't know anybody with a Costco membership? Consider us too.
you can order safes on costco.com without a membership. Or, find someone willing to sell you a couple Costco gift cards. with those, non-members can shop at at the physical Costco location.

Do you want an AOW or C&R SBS/SBR in CA?

No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:13 AM

just go with the costco safe, lifetime warranty they are great
Old 01-10-2013, 10:26 AM
In Memoriam

Costco costs money to belong to. I don't need that much TP or Ramen.

I know price is everything, but does anyone know Costco is a liberal enclave of recidivist history?

The true liberals who shop there know this.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:44 AM

Everyone has different needs, but my issue with most costco safes is the guage steel (12 guage). 12 guage can easily be attacked on the sides by an Axe or Pick, not to mention more sophisticated tools. Again, everyone has their own criteria when buying a safe, including the number #1 for alot of people, which is price.......for the money, the Costco safes are a good deal in the 12 guage category.

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamatrnr View Post
Very pleased with my Bighorn from Costco - bought on sale w/free delivery

Last edited by lilharcher; 01-10-2013 at 10:49 AM..
Old 01-10-2013, 5:35 PM

I have the Home Depot sentry too. It's not bad. I have it bolted to the floor in an upstairs closet behind some clothes. There's a youtube video of some guys breaking into it on about 5 minutes by beating it with crowbars, but frankly I'm not that worried about it. I think most thieves are in and out, not interested in hunkering down and making racket trying to break into a steel safe. I would second the ideas to check craigslist...I've seen huge safes for free more than once, just gotta be persistent and ready to go as soon as it's posted.
Old 01-10-2013, 5:36 PM

I have the Home Depot sentry too. It's not bad. I have it bolted to the floor in an upstairs closet behind some clothes. There's a youtube video of some guys breaking into it on about 5 minutes by beating it with crowbars, but frankly I'm not that worried about it. I think most thieves are in and out, not interested in hunkering down and making racket trying to break into a steel safe. I would second the ideas to check craigslist...I've seen huge safes for free more than once, just gotta be persistent and ready to go as soon as it's posted.
Old 01-10-2013, 7:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilharcher View Post
Everyone has different needs, but my issue with most costco safes is the guage steel (12 guage). 12 guage can easily be attacked on the sides by an Axe or Pick, not to mention more sophisticated tools. Again, everyone has their own criteria when buying a safe, including the number #1 for alot of people, which is price.......for the money, the Costco safes are a good deal in the 12 guage category.
my bighorn is 10 gauge.
Old 01-11-2013, 4:48 AM
Veteran Member

LOL checked out the Costco site and saw some niffty little safes and stuff. I like the idea of the below for storage of a HD shotgun. Not for burglars and thiefs but for low security storage to keep out of the kids hands. Neat little Idea and good for truck gun mounting to probably.

http://www.costco.com/ShotLock-Unive....11609953.html

George Orwell

http://www.AnySoldier.com
Old 01-22-2013, 9:06 PM
I need a LIFE!!

If you buy a safe from a big box store it is not going to stand up to a pry attack or cutting. They are not real safes. If you can afford it this is a good entry level safe. I recently ordered one after doing a lot of research.

http://www.dcgstores.com/rhino-56-se...acity-rmi.html

The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)
Old 04-08-2013, 3:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul0660 View Post
Costco costs money to belong to. I don't need that much TP or Ramen.

I know price is everything, but does anyone know Costco is a liberal enclave of recidivist history?

The true liberals who shop there know this.
Isn't it kind of silly to pay for more the same product because the cheaper one is sold by someone who has a different political perspective than you do?

It's really unfortunate the left and right can't come together and govern this country together, and that instead, they just want to throw stones at each other. That doesn't make for every effective governing, no matter what side of the isle you sit on.
Old 04-08-2013, 5:00 PM

Rhino Model 56 gun safe have the best value for your money for under $1279.00 with curve side delivery included.
Old 04-09-2013, 7:56 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedpower View Post
Rhino Model 56 gun safe have the best value for your money for under $1279.00 with curve side delivery included.
When mine was delivered the guy wheeled it into my garage without me having to ask. Tipped him $20. From there it wasn't too hard to move it into the house after removing the door and calling a buddy over. Had to spray graphite on the locking bolts though, but that's because I grabbed them and got the factory graphite on my hands.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)
Old 04-10-2013, 7:03 AM

Costco rhino safes are a great deal for a food quality safe with plenty of steel. The Bighorn safes are decent for the price, but imported from China.
I looked at other Rhino safes but i could not find a local dealer, and I needed complete installation.
I went with an AmSec SF series from Deans safe due to my size limitation.
Old 04-10-2013, 7:11 AM

Just wanted to chime in. Steel thickness is very important. A lot of times, if you can't discern the gauge of steel, you can generalize it by the weight of the safe for its size.

Also, much like how cardboard boxes work, a safe with poured in rigid insulation is going to be a lot tougher than just sheet rock insulation.

And door steel thickness is very very important to resist pry attacks. Composite doors that look to be 4 or 5" thick often times has door steel that is 1/8" thick. Look for a safe with at least 1/4" steel in the doors so that it resists bending from a pry bar.

And the side of the safe that the door closes into, the door frame, needs to be reinforced so that the bolts don't just bend the body apart and slip out.