Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Hunting and Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Hunting and Fishing Rifle, Shotgun, Handgun, Archery, Blackpowder Saltwater and Fresh Water

Old 10-21-2019, 10:29 AM

Default I killed my $500 cooler

Stupid, YES.
My ORCA 140 qt cooler wasnít filled with elk meat after the UT hunt two weeks ago. I threw out the two 25 lb blocks of ice not wanting to carry the extra weight home. Exhausted from the hunt, set up and tear down of camp. I looked to see what I could put inside to save space. NO, not the can of fuel(I know to never put fuel in a cooler). So I proceeded to put the lanterns into the cooler with a small camp stove. Perfectly packing the lanterns in sideways. An hour after I left camp It hit me out of nowhere how stupid it was to put lanterns in SIDEWAYS!
Yes Iíve tried water and baking soda soaks, bleach soaks.

HELP. Anyway to salvage my cooler to get the fuel smell out?

Thanks,
Stupid when Exhausted
Old 10-21-2019, 10:40 AM

Dawn dish soap and let the hose Just Run . Put the Nozzle on fan or wide mist so it agitates the water ,lots of foam is the key . Keep adding dawn when you dont see foam any more. I'd leave the top open and Drainn put pulled.
Old 10-21-2019, 10:50 AM
Calguns Addict

I'm not a fuel expert so I'm not sure if this will help but there are now lots of products that use enzymes to help break down the smells that are tough to get rid of like skunk spray.
I have also noticed that when a dog, who got sprayed and needed many cleanings with the newer type of anti skunk cleaning products (that can be bought in stores and I think a similar recipe hydrogen peroxide, a drop of dish soap and maybe baking soda also was proven best on MythBusters), The collar and harness for that dog that was sprayed was hung outside in the sun getting bombarded with UV and other types of light (and that collar turned occasionally) Now no longer has any skunk smell , Even though it had Never been washed or cleaned with Any new or that MythBusters formulas.

So if your plastic inner liner of your cooler can take it I might throw out the wild suggestion of keeping it opened and exposed to the the Sun's rays, as much as possible. That will also help with evaporation of any fuel that might be in the micro scratches or pores of the plastic.

But I have a feeling someone here works with fuel products and they may have a commercially available cleaner made just for that.

Last edited by sealocan; 10-21-2019 at 10:56 AM..
Old 10-21-2019, 11:18 AM
Calguns Addict

Toothpaste works great for fish smell on your hands, it may work well here.
Old 10-21-2019, 11:20 AM

Small ozone machine. You may be able to rent one from a Restoration company. Or if you can only find a large one (ozone machine), lock it in a small space with the cooler for a little bit. It's what they use to remove smells in homes, including decomp. It doesn't mask the smell, it removes it.

Last edited by Bisley; 10-21-2019 at 11:24 AM..
Old 10-21-2019, 11:23 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Put it outside in the sun, let the fuel gas off for a few days.

Then start trying stuff, dish soap, fill it, let it soak, dump it, simple green, etc.

Dawn advertises that they use it to get oil off birds...
Quote:
Originally Posted by el chivo View Post
I don't need to think at all..
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjsig View Post
You are talking to someone who already won this lame conversation, not a brick a wall. Too bad you don't realize it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterfern View Post
Didn't realize. I try not to be political.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Old 10-21-2019, 12:32 PM

Be careful with ozone , it will break down plastic.

Personally i think i would try filling it with charcoal and then kitty litter in on top to fill the voids then leave it in the sun for about a month and then check on it.

I don't believe anything is going to work fast due to the saturation that has taken place,

proximity to such a mass of inert material with a high affinity for gaseous compounds may.

https://archive.org/details/JohnRoss...edConsequences

i was born under a wandrin star
Old 10-21-2019, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmithson View Post
Stupid, YES.

My ORCA 140 qt cooler wasnít filled with elk meat after the UT hunt two weeks ago. I threw out the two 25 lb blocks of ice not wanting to carry the extra weight home. Exhausted from the hunt, set up and tear down of camp. I looked to see what I could put inside to save space. NO, not the can of fuel(I know to never put fuel in a cooler). So I proceeded to put the lanterns into the cooler with a small camp stove. Perfectly packing the lanterns in sideways. An hour after I left camp It hit me out of nowhere how stupid it was to put lanterns in SIDEWAYS!

Yes Iíve tried water and baking soda soaks, bleach soaks.

HELP. Anyway to salvage my cooler to get the fuel smell out?

Thanks,

Stupid when Exhausted
I would try vinegar. I use it to get the gas smell off my hands

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
Old 10-21-2019, 12:46 PM
Honorary MLC
CGN Contributor

Dang, that sucks.

Maybe Tecnu? Any sort of product to remove oil/petroluem products, without breaking down the plastic.

Time will help.

Curious to see what you find out, as I'm sure I'll do something similarly unthinking at some point in the future.
Old 10-21-2019, 1:21 PM

Any mechanic's hand cleaner will get out what can be gotten out. After that, leave it outside to air out. Be patient, it may take a week until you are happy with the results.
Old 10-21-2019, 1:28 PM

https://www.amazon.com/Charcoal-Puri...%2C443&sr=8-18
Old 10-21-2019, 2:05 PM

OP Do you have any concern that the fuel vapors messed up the Styrofoam insulation? In the old days of vented motorcycle tank caps it was known not to put your helmet over them as the fumes would breakdown the foam.
Old 10-21-2019, 2:34 PM
Veteran Member

Remove the top and leave it outside for a while...
John 3:16

United Air Epic Fail Video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u99Q7pNAjvg
Old 10-21-2019, 2:41 PM

I donít think fuel touched the cooler as the lanterns were in heavy Colman carry cases. There was heavy fumes when I opened the cooler at home. After I soaked the cooler full of water, baking soda and bleach for 6-8 hours. I aired for a couple days. Closed the cooler for a day then gave it the sniff test. It failed with an off chemical scent. Iím airing it again for a week before I try the best suggestions from this post.
LOL on the kitty litter.
Right now the Dawn May be the next try.

Thanks, all suggestions are appreciated. Even the ones that help me laugh over a possible $500 loss.
Old 10-21-2019, 2:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisley View Post
Small ozone machine. You may be able to rent one from a Restoration company. Or if you can only find a large one (ozone machine), lock it in a small space with the cooler for a little bit. It's what they use to remove smells in homes, including decomp. It doesn't mask the smell, it removes it.
Never heard of it. Iíll try to look up info.
Thanks
Old 10-21-2019, 3:38 PM
Global Warming Enthusiast
CGN Contributor

I'm leaving Thursday morning and I was staring at my 80qt Cabelas cooler I paid $400 for and thinking "I wonder what I could put in my cooler to save space..." and suddenly after reading this thread the answer came to me. Ice. I can put ice in there. Well that and a few steaks and burgers etc...

Jeeeeze I'm sorry to hear this OP, I hate to be the bad news guy but I honestly don't think anything is going to work to your satisfaction. I think you'll get 90% of it out for now and then when you open it next year you're going to smell it and you'll buy a new cooler. I hope I am wrong but I've never once walked into anyone's toy hauler and not smelled gas.

Buy made in USA whenever possible.
Old 10-21-2019, 4:11 PM

Quote:
I donít think fuel touched the cooler as the lanterns were in heavy Colman carry cases. There was heavy fumes when I opened the cooler at home. After I soaked the cooler full of water, baking soda and bleach for 6-8 hours. I aired for a couple days. Closed the cooler for a day then gave it the sniff test. It failed with an off chemical scent. Iím airing it again for a week before I try the best suggestions from this post.
LOL on the kitty litter.
Right now the Dawn May be the next try.

Thanks, all suggestions are appreciated. Even the ones that help me laugh over a possible $500 loss.

Oh sure,

laugh at the kitty litter....cuz spending $500 for an ice chest isn't funny at all.

Old 10-21-2019, 4:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACfixer View Post
I'm leaving Thursday morning and I was staring at my 80qt Cabelas cooler I paid $400 for and thinking "I wonder what I could put in my cooler to save space..." and suddenly after reading this thread the answer came to me. Ice. I can put ice in there. Well that and a few steaks and burgers etc...

Jeeeeze I'm sorry to hear this OP, I hate to be the bad news guy but I honestly don't think anything is going to work to your satisfaction. I think you'll get 90% of it out for now and then when you open it next year you're going to smell it and you'll buy a new cooler. I hope I am wrong but I've never once walked into anyone's toy hauler and not smelled gas.
Worst fears confirmed. Iíll try one or two recommendations. Itís only a couple years old. I hoped to have it for 10+ years like my last large cooler. I was using my Orca 75 qt for food on the hunt. At least I only ruined my largest most expensive cooler.
OH, I also made a 2Ē solid black walnut table top that flips over for a game board to fit perfectly on top of that cooler. Time for 2 Aleve, my wallet is hurting.
Old 10-21-2019, 4:13 PM
Calguns Addict

Old 10-21-2019, 4:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonefly-2 View Post
Oh sure,

laugh at the kitty litter....cuz spending $500 for an ice chest isn't funny at all.
Real men know
You ether laugh or cry. Iíll laugh, my wallet is crying.
Old 10-21-2019, 4:43 PM
Probably PUI
CGN Contributor

Leave it open in the sun for a few days. Youre just smelling the residual VOCs, they will gas off quickly with heat, fresh oxygen, and uv light doing all the work for you.

Fuel doesnt permeate or leach into plastic, thats why gas cans are plastic- and the fuel doesnt leach through them and start leaking out, even after decades of use.

As far as the toy hauler comment- those VOCs have leached into the furniture, fabric, wood, walls, etc, plus most people store their toys inside closed up in the summer heat filling the entire trailer with vaporized fuels.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Thomas Jefferson
Old 10-21-2019, 5:30 PM

Quote:
Never heard of it. Iíll try to look up info.
Thanks
I worked for a water/fire damage restoration company for a spell. Ozone & Vapotek machines are all we used. My Dodge Sprinter work van was filled with wet gray water soaked carpet all day once. We emptied it at night and placed one of our large ozone machines in there. Next day it smelled like a brand new van.

Be sure not to use it longer than needed, and seal it. When you open it let it vent out for a while too. They sell really small units for houses as "odor eliminators" but believe it or not they will eventually start to ruin your olfactory senses. Good luck.
Old 10-21-2019, 8:01 PM

Quote:
Real men know
You ether laugh or cry. Iíll laugh, my wallet is crying.

Iv'e hauled a whole lot of fish from Mexico to northern Calif. in 96qt. igloos and then rested up before i had a chance to process it.

You can buy a whole lot of rock salt with $500.

Old 10-21-2019, 8:06 PM

Hoppeís 9 will get it out....
Old 10-21-2019, 8:10 PM
Calguns Addict

Coke.... no really... buy a few 2L bottles of it and pour them in there. We used it to clean baked on grease and carbon off of 155mm howitzers and it would clean them like new....
This process was actually authorized by the USMC
Old 10-21-2019, 8:13 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
After I soaked the cooler full of water, baking soda and bleach for 6-8 hours.
6-8 hours isn't long. I would try a paste of baking soda and leave it on for a day or two. It takes time and don't expect instant results.

Never try to teach a pig to sing. You waste your time and you annoy the pig. - Robert A. Heinlein
Old 10-21-2019, 9:04 PM
Veteran Member

Lemons or Oranges cut in half and rubbed over all the surfaces.
Old 10-21-2019, 9:06 PM
Veteran Member

Just leave it in the sun for week or two. After a good cleaning as you have done, there is nothing else you can do to remove the smell than just let whatever fuel has soaked into the plastic to out gas.

Last edited by G-forceJunkie; 10-22-2019 at 9:26 PM..
Old 10-21-2019, 9:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-forceJunkie View Post
Just leave it in the sun for week or two. After a good cleaning as you have done, there is nothing else you can do to remove the smell than just whatever fuel has soaked into the plastic to out gas.
This guy nailed it!
Old 10-21-2019, 9:33 PM

Simple green soak
Old 10-21-2019, 9:51 PM
Veteran Member

Direct Sun light for days on end. This week should be good for it as temperatures are gonna be high.
Old 10-22-2019, 9:20 AM

Thanks for the great advice.
Cooler is out soaking up the sun today.
Old 10-22-2019, 9:36 AM

After the sun treatment, I'd try one of the orange based cleaners. My fav is D Solv It.
Old 10-22-2019, 10:08 AM

Coke is also popular with the antique tractor folks. Have a stuck engine? Pop the plugs out and fill the cylinders with Coca-Cola for a few days. It'lss eat up the gunk and rust.

And to think people drink the stuff! Ok, it is good with rum...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaJames83 View Post
Coke.... no really... buy a few 2L bottles of it and pour them in there. We used it to clean baked on grease and carbon off of 155mm howitzers and it would clean them like new....
This process was actually authorized by the USMC
Old 10-22-2019, 1:27 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNE228 View Post
Coke is also popular with the antique tractor folks. Have a stuck engine? Pop the plugs out and fill the cylinders with Coca-Cola for a few days. It'lss eat up the gunk and rust.

And to think people drink the stuff! Ok, it is good with rum...
Saw 'em use it on a race car to get the clutch to grab.

But sun, air and finish with vanilla extract. Been my go to for science experiments.

#Blackolivesmatter
Old 10-29-2019, 10:26 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I just ran into this awhile back, and the ONLY thing that took the smell out was sun and time. I put mine with the lids propped open on my back porch and it took almost 2 weeks in WARM (80-90 degree weather) for them to smell decent again. Not sure how long it will for it in the cooler temps we're getting now. My smell was from rotten pork. I left some food on accident, and it smelled so bad, and had horrendous maggots so I was going to just throw it away. LAST thing I was going to do was put it out and wait, but sure enough it worked!!!! Good luck.
Old 10-29-2019, 10:31 AM

What about Tomato sauce? Works for Skunk, right?

"If you are going to stir the shtpot, eventually you have to lick the spoon."

Old 10-29-2019, 1:44 PM
Veteran Member

Save space!? Get a bigger truck.
Old 10-29-2019, 1:47 PM
Veteran Member

Coca Cola is loaded with phosphoric acid - just get some phosphoric acid. It's used as a sanitiser in the food industry.
Old 10-31-2019, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbody_mike View Post
OP Do you have any concern that the fuel vapors messed up the Styrofoam insulation? In the old days of vented motorcycle tank caps it was known not to put your helmet over them as the fumes would breakdown the foam.
Gas vapors would also leach through the plastic and cause decals to bubble.