Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Shotgun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shotgun discussions Trap, Hunting, Defense and more. A place for enthusiasts to discuss the shotgun.

Old 10-20-2019, 11:26 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Smile A300 for 599: good deal?

Hey folks,
For $599 on sale, has anyone tried this/bought this particular model, and like it?
https://www.sportsmans.com/shooting-...28in/p/1298354

Background: I'm looking to getting into shotgun hunting: waterfowl/upland, maybe pig, whatever else I can. Ideally I'd like to have a single, do-it-all kind of shotgun, works for clays, hunting, etc. I just got my Hunter's license, so I'm reading up on everything I can.

I'll head to Sportsmans Warehouse this week, see if I like it, and will try a few of them, but, I wanted your guy's feedback as well.

Thanks in advance
Old 10-20-2019, 11:30 PM
Veteran Member

I don't know anything about that model but Beretta makes great shotguns and that is an excellent price
Old 10-20-2019, 11:42 PM

I have an a300 that I use for clay shooting. I bought it minimally used from a CGer here on the forums. I’m having a great time with it! I haven’t had any issues with mine so far!
Old 10-21-2019, 12:09 AM
Veteran Member

Yes that is a good deal, A300 is a great shotgun. For upland bird it would be a perfect gun, light and soft shooting. I have the wood version and it is my backup to me A400.... shoots like a dream. Only upgrade I would like would be a step rib but it doesnt really need it.
Old 10-21-2019, 6:16 AM
Calguns Addict

A300 is the best value out there. It's Beretta's "loss leader". Meaning it's way more gun than $599.

I've got all three of them, and they run like a champ, and shoot softly. In fact a lot of shotgun ranges use them as rentals because they're so reliable.

If you're in so cal you're welcome to shoot mine.

Last edited by ysr_racer; 10-21-2019 at 6:19 AM..
Old 10-21-2019, 6:23 AM
Veteran Member

That is a very good price on a very good shotgun. Lot of pluses; reversible safety, comes with shims for any stock adjustment[if even needed], easy to maintain. That would be a good choice.
Old 10-21-2019, 6:32 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxtrotuniformlima View Post
I don't know anything about that model but Beretta makes great shotguns and that is an excellent price
Yes, I have been reading reviews here, plus watching videos and online reviews. Pretty tempting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedone12 View Post
I have an a300 that I use for clay shooting. I bought it minimally used from a CGer here on the forums. I’m having a great time with it! I haven’t had any issues with mine so far!
I was hoping to get one of these on the CG marketplace, but the right deal hasn't shown up! There was one that was for sale about a month ago, but I wasn't ready to *pull the trigger*.

Quote:
Originally Posted by etwinam View Post
Yes that is a good deal, A300 is a great shotgun. For upland bird it would be a perfect gun, light and soft shooting. I have the wood version and it is my backup to me A400.... shoots like a dream. Only upgrade I would like would be a step rib but it doesnt really need it.
Great, thanks for the upvote--I have no idea the value of a steprib, but I do see it has a flat rib. I'm hopeful it won't matter for me heh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
A300 is the best value out there. It's Beretta's "loss leader". Meaning it's way more gun than $599.

I've got all three of them, and they run like a champ, and shoot softly. In fact a lot of shotgun ranges use them as rentals because they're so reliable.

If you're in so cal you're welcome to shoot mine.
Hey ysr, thanks for the offer! I'm in Norcal, so I'll have to raincheck. You've been the biggest proponent of them.
Old 10-21-2019, 6:33 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default 3" only vs 3" plus 2 3/4"?

Here's a followup question, does it matter that the synthetic is only 3" shells? I see this other version, Outlander Turkey, https://www.sportsmans.com/shooting-...otgun/p/p52713, which takes 3" and 2 3/4" shells.
It's 24", while the synthetic is 28"

I just checked other websites for the same model--J30TT18: looks like no problem taking 2 3/4" shells. So, for 599.99, which is only on sale at Sportsman's Warehouse, hard to pass up on that.

Last edited by 357manny; 10-21-2019 at 8:46 AM..
Old 10-21-2019, 7:49 AM

I love my A300, it shoots both 2 3/4 and 3” and is a very soft shooter that swings well. I got mine for about 470 otd after getting some Bass Pro gift cards at a big discount. I just limited out on duck at the opener at Wister with it on Saturday, got my first triple😃.

Side note: On one of my first hunting trips with it my idiot buddy ran it and my other buddies Browning A5 over with his truck, broke mine in half. He didn’t look before driving forward, we had them leaning on a table while cleaning birds. I got It fixed for like 80$, still runs like a champ. My friends A5 not so much, cracked stock and bent barrel. He’s having a hard time finding the correct barrel. Sad because it was the gun his old man gave him.
Old 10-21-2019, 8:45 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennstater View Post
That is a very good price on a very good shotgun. Lot of pluses; reversible safety, comes with shims for any stock adjustment[if even needed], easy to maintain. That would be a good choice.

Old 10-21-2019, 11:53 AM

If you are close to Morgan Hill, coyote Clays have them on the rental rack. For $25 you can try it and also shoot some clays to see if you like it.

And $50 "deal" it is not what should make you buy a gun. It is less than one restaurant meal but lasts much longer.
When you buy a shotgun the fit is the most important. You will forget about your $50-$100 saving in 3 minutes, but if gun does not fit you, you will regret buying it for a long period, lets not forget all missed birds and targets which also cost money, so the golden rule is, find what fits you, not Joe, Richard or YSR, and "buy once cry once" and enjoy long, long time.

And when you found a gun you like, the Gunbroker or CG market section has them much cheaper than any "deal", just be patient.

Here is one for example, but there are at least 10 more
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/838027088

https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search...00&Condition=2

Last edited by Boarhuntor; 10-21-2019 at 11:59 AM..
Old 10-21-2019, 11:57 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boarhuntor View Post
If you are close to Morgan Hill, coyote Clays have them on the rental rack. For $25 you can try it and also shoot some clays to see if you like it.

And $50 "deal" it is not what should make you buy a gun. It is less than one restaurant meal but lasts much longer.
When you buy a shotgun the fit is the most important. You will forget about your $50-$100 saving in 3 minutes, but if gun does not fit you, you will regret buying it for a long period, lets not forget all missed birds and targets which also cost money, so the golden rule is, find what fits you, not Joe, Richard or YSR, and "buy once cry once" and enjoy long, long time.
yes, you speak the truth bro. Btw, it's a $100 "deal". But I'm going to check out the different variationsA300, Mossberg 930, Remington v3 later today--whatever they got at Sportsmans Warehouse.
Thanks for the reminder!
Old 10-21-2019, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357manny View Post
yes, you speak the truth bro. Btw, it's a $100 "deal". But I'm going to check out the different variationsA300, Mossberg 930, Remington v3 later today--whatever they got at Sportsmans Warehouse.
Thanks for the reminder!
I edited my post with some thought after you already replied.
Maybe you will be interested and also look very hard on V3.
IMO and others who used it, it is much superior to all current shotguns in its price range/category.

On Gunbroker they are comparable in price.

BTW, on my end, the link you sent shows the regular price is $650 and sale is $600
My weak brain tells me the diff is $50. Where am i wrong?

Old 10-21-2019, 12:16 PM

Rem V3 gaining in popularity so fast. 6 month ago i was seeing them NIB sell in $550 range, now they are in $650. The market speaks and it is never wrong.
20% in 6 months. I wonder why? Probably something about this gun?
Old 10-21-2019, 12:50 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
, but if gun does not fit you, you will regret buying it for a long period, lets not forget all missed birds and targets which also cost money, so the golden rule is, find what fits you, not Joe, Richard or YSR, and "buy once cry once" and enjoy long, long time.

Since most people have no idea how to properly mount a shotgun (including stance) they'll have no idea what fits them or not.

At least an A300 has shims to adjust cast, drop, and length of pull (LOP).

ymmgdv
Old 10-21-2019, 12:55 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I edited my post with some thought after you already replied.
Maybe you will be interested and also look very hard on V3.
IMO and others who used it, it is much superior to all current shotguns in its price range/category.

On Gunbroker they are comparable in price.

BTW, on my end, the link you sent shows the regular price is $650 and sale is $600
My weak brain tells me the diff is $50. Where am i wrong?

Oh, the disparity in price--no doubt its because of location. Probably because I have the Fairfield store in my browser cache/cookies?

Quote:
Rem V3 gaining in popularity so fast. 6 month ago i was seeing them NIB sell in $550 range, now they are in $650. The market speaks and it is never wrong.
20% in 6 months. I wonder why? Probably something about this gun?
The v3 seems to have had a few generations since it debuted a few years ago. That isn't a bad thing. Definitely will check it out.
Old 10-21-2019, 1:06 PM
Veteran Member

357manny,while I have /shoot a 930 Field gun, which has been utterly flawless in performance, I believe the a300 is a better shotgun. I don't have any help for you regarding a V3. I've heard very good things on them, just never tried one.
I have about 2,000+ shells thru my 930 with zero issues, so there's that. Good luck in your search. I didn't ask around too much, you're going at it the right way.
Old 10-21-2019, 2:26 PM

Quote:
Since most people have no idea how to properly mount a shotgun (including stance) they'll have no idea what fits them or not.

At least an A300 has shims to adjust cast, drop, and length of pull (LOP).

ymmgdv
Sure unique future, Very hard to find. It definitely makes it superior to every other gun.
But it seems to me all or almost all semis have it, V3 has them for sure, dah....

Any other points of superiority besides you having 3 of them which definitely makes it better than most?
I dont want to say it is a bad gun for the money, but it is NOT "the best" anymore as it probably was 5-7 years ago. There are now newer and better players in the field and you have to admit, the technology did not stop on A300. Get out of your box, or you are afraid to admit?

Here some notes about A300 by Randy Wakeman. Hated by some i think he is still better expert than most on this forum.

https://www.randywakeman.com/Comment...erettaA300.htm

Here is another good read:
https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/vie...?f=57&t=321943

Last edited by Boarhuntor; 10-21-2019 at 2:47 PM..
Old 10-21-2019, 2:44 PM

Quote:
...And when you found a gun you like, the Gunbroker or CG market section has them much cheaper than any "deal", just be patient.

Here is one for example, but there are at least 10 more
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/838027088

https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search...00&Condition=2
This won't necessarily get you the gun for less.
Most likely there will be a charge for shipping and a dealer transfer fee.

Unless you are saving a bunch of money, I'd go with the one from Sportsmans.
a) it's new
b) you will see what you are getting, before you spend your money (no surprises)
Old 10-21-2019, 2:57 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
. There are now newer and better players in the field and you have to admit, the technology did not stop on A300. Get out of your box, or you are afraid to admit?

Here some notes about A300 by Randy Wakeman. Hated by some i think he is still better expert than most on this forum.

https://www.randywakeman.com/Comment...erettaA300.htm

Here is another good read:
https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/vie...?f=57&t=321943

There may better and newer players in the field, but I don't own them, and I don't have any experience with them.

My gun is soft shooting, and cycles everything I feed it. I don't know what more I need. As I said, ranges use them for rentals because the cycle everything and last.

ymmgdv
Old 10-21-2019, 3:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBGBA View Post
This won't necessarily get you the gun for less.
Most likely there will be a charge for shipping and a dealer transfer fee.

Unless you are saving a bunch of money, I'd go with the one from Sportsmans.
a) it's new
b) you will see what you are getting, before you spend your money (no surprises)
Apparently you never bought a gun there. If you are in hurry, yes, but if you know how to read and take time to review the listing, you can get a little better than any "Deal" not buy much, but better. So, the "deal" is in the eyes of the beholder

Two years ago i bought A300 NIB for my friend. All together, black synthetic with 28" BBL cost him $540 OTD after transfer fee, DROS, taxes, shipping and all. Not used, not an open box, but sealed box absolutely new and we verified with Berreta. It was manufactured 2 months prior to our purchase.

If you know what you want and have patience, you will get it.

Quote:
There may better and newer players in the field, but I don't own them, and I don't have any experience with them.ymmgdv
Right, exactly what i say, you dont know what you are talking about, but you keep preaching it is "THE BEST and THE SOFTEST" without trying others. If you "don't have any experience with them" how can you use a comparative language without comparing? You can do better!

Last edited by Boarhuntor; 10-21-2019 at 3:20 PM..
Old 10-21-2019, 3:28 PM
Veteran Member

Dang, getting a little testy around here. Well, I'll let you fellas sort it all out.
Old 10-21-2019, 3:37 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

Right, exactly what i say, you dont know what you are talking about, but you keep preaching it is "THE BEST and THE SOFTEST" without trying others. If you "don't have any experience with them" how can you use a comparative language without comparing? You can do better!

Did I miss the memo where somebody died and they made you king? The OP asked for opinions, I gave mine. You sound like a trap shooter.
Old 10-21-2019, 3:44 PM
Calguns Addict

And your highness, best is subjective, as is softest.
Old 10-21-2019, 3:51 PM
小さな女性
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Location: (34.2283° N, 118.5358° W), (33.6700° N, 117.7800° W)

Quote:
There may better and newer players in the field, but I don't own them, and I don't have any experience with them.

My gun is soft shooting, and cycles everything I feed it. I don't know what more I need. As I said, ranges use them for rentals because the cycle everything and last.

ymmgdv
Quote:
Did I miss the memo where somebody died and they made you king? The OP asked for opinions, I gave mine. You sound like a trap shooter.
OH THE IRONY!!! LOLZZZZZ
Quote:
A society that aims for equality before liberty, will end with neither equality nor liberty.
-Milton Friedman

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/signaturepics/sigpic164573_1.gif
Old 10-21-2019, 4:23 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by meno377 View Post
OH THE IRONY!!! LOLZZZZZ
Irony can be pretty ironic sometimes - James Tiberius Kirk
Old 10-21-2019, 5:23 PM

Quote:
Oh, you are really hurt, dont like the truth? but don't cry, you are still the king, dont worry. Only your opinion counts and true, others are just stupid ignorant brats know nothing about shotguns and are not allowed to have their own opinion if it contradicts the king. Even if he never tried, he still knows the best.
A300 is the best and the softest, don't know about all of them, but three that the king has, sure are

I rest my case, chew on each other throats as much as you wish, Long life the King YSR!!! Hope your tail i stepped on does not hurt for too long. Vivat my King!!!!

PS. I'm a trap shooter, caly shooter or anything like this. I'm smart enough not to waste my time and money on killing clay pigeons.
But you definitely sound exactly like a trap shooter if you described them correctly. At least when people on this forum hear "trap shooter" your picture comes to mind LOL.....

Now you can tell whatever you want without worrying i'll replay because i'm not going to read nor replay on your meaningful answers.

Last edited by Boarhuntor; 10-21-2019 at 5:29 PM..
Old 10-21-2019, 5:26 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennstater View Post
357manny,while I have /shoot a 930 Field gun, which has been utterly flawless in performance, I believe the a300 is a better shotgun. I don't have any help for you regarding a V3. I've heard very good things on them, just never tried one.
I have about 2,000+ shells thru my 930 with zero issues, so there's that. Good luck in your search. I didn't ask around too much, you're going at it the right way.
And my 930 that cost a little over $400 came with the treasured shims too.
Old 10-21-2019, 5:34 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Oh, you are really hurt, dont like the truth? but don't cry, you are still the king, dont worry. Only your opinion counts and true, others are just stupid ignorant brats know nothing about shotguns and are not allowed to have their own opinion if it contradicts the king. Even if he never tried, he still knows the best.
A300 is the best and the softest, don't know about all of them, but three that the king has, sure are

I rest my case, chew on each other throats as much as you wish, Long life the King YSR!!! Hope your tail i stepped on does not hurt for too long. Vivat my King!!!!

PS. I'm a trap shooter, caly shooter or anything like this. I'm smart enough not to waste my time and money on killing clay pigeons.
But you definitely sound exactly like a trap shooter if you described them correctly. At least when people on this forum hear "trap shooter" your picture comes to mind LOL.....

Now you can tell whatever you want without worrying i'll replay because i'm not going to read nor replay on your meaningful answers.
Are you sure you're not a trap shooter? You'd fit right in

Last edited by ysr_racer; 10-21-2019 at 10:38 PM..
Old 10-21-2019, 5:41 PM
Calguns Addict

To the rest of you guys, their is no "best" or "softest", if there was there would only be one shotgun available.

The reality is, buy what ever you like and you'll enjoy it. Chasing "the best" or "the softest" is a fools errand.

Last edited by ysr_racer; 10-21-2019 at 5:58 PM..
Old 10-21-2019, 6:08 PM

Quote:

Please clarify. I am confused by this statement. Or at least tell me what you are drinking.

MidLife - "Just look at the bird. And swing smoothly to the shot. "

CaptainDick - " Faster! Faster! Faster! Don't think!
Old 10-21-2019, 6:23 PM

Quote:

Two years ago i bought A300 NIB for my friend. All together, black synthetic with 28" BBL cost him $540 OTD after transfer fee, DROS, taxes, shipping and all. Not used, not an open box, but sealed box absolutely new and we verified with Berreta. It was manufactured 2 months prior to our purchase.
Bought a gun for a friend and it cost him...

Ok...
Old 10-21-2019, 8:34 PM

Quote:
Apparently you never bought a gun there. If you are in hurry, yes, but if you know how to read and take time to review the listing, you can get a little better than any "Deal" not buy much, but better. So, the "deal" is in the eyes of the beholder

Two years ago i bought A300 NIB for my friend. All together, black synthetic with 28" BBL cost him $540 OTD after transfer fee, DROS, taxes, shipping and all....
Nope, never bought a gun there, but have bought some in stores with a less than stellar reputation for customer service.

You are right, the "deal" is in the eye of the beholder.

My impression (another eye of the beholder thing) is that the OP may only want a to get a good deal and not have to get the "best" deal (one that usually takes more time/research/diligence to find). He's the only one that can decide what works for him, price & time wise.
Old 10-21-2019, 8:36 PM
小さな女性

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelon View Post
Please clarify. I am confused by this statement. Or at least tell me what you are drinking.
Quote:
PS. I'm not a trap shooter, caly shooter or anything like this. I'm smart enough not to waste my time and money on killing clay pigeons.

My guess is he simply missed the word "not".
Quote:
A society that aims for equality before liberty, will end with neither equality nor liberty.
-Milton Friedman

Old 10-21-2019, 8:44 PM

I bought the same A300 for $599 a few years ago, when BP opened in Rocklin. It quickly became my go to field gun, and it’ll crush clays too.
Old 10-21-2019, 9:56 PM
Veteran Member

OP sent me a PM asking which one to get - a300 or V3?

My response:

Hmm, that’s a tough one.

The Beretta has a lower price and proven track record. The Beretta 300 series gas system has been around a long time. My a300 has never had any issues and I shoot it well.

I loaded some shells into the V3 tonight and they were difficult to load. They hang up on the shell catch (not sure if that’s the name). I’m sure over time it will loosen up. I like that there is no spring in the stock of the V3, it feels lighter and feels like it recoils less. I’ve only shot 2-3 boxes through it.

Wish there was a long term reliability/durability test done on both shotguns. Maybe someone has done that?

Feel like it’s a Ford vs Chevy choice. You can’t go wrong with either one.
Old 10-21-2019, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meno377 View Post
My guess is he simply missed the word "not".
Thanks.

MidLife - "Just look at the bird. And swing smoothly to the shot. "

CaptainDick - " Faster! Faster! Faster! Don't think!
Old 10-21-2019, 10:17 PM
Veteran Member

https://www.duckhuntingchat.com/foru...c.php?t=610609
Old 10-21-2019, 10:36 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

OP. FWIW, I own: A300, Franchi affinity, Stoeger M3000, Remington V3, Remington 1100, 1187.

The one for me that gets the most trigger time is the Franchi. It fits me like a glove, is very soft shooting and I can hit clays with it. All of them shoot well, but between the A300 and the franchi for me, is the clunkiness on how it feels when you shoot the 300. I'm not saying it's bad, but it's different. Knowing what I know now with what I own, I would take the Franchi hands down. That said, the A300 is a fine shotgun. Just not my 1st choice.

My 2nd choice is an 1100. I realize they aren't in the price range NEW, but you can always find a used one for $500 or less if you take your time looking.

My 3rd choice is the V3. Very comfortable, not as clunky, and hits clays.

My 4th choice is an 1187. Same as the 1100 regarding price for a used one, but I would still choose an 1100 over an 1187 if I came across those at the same price.

My 5th is the m3000. IMO it's a nice shotgun and it's actually similar to the Franchi, but it's not the same quality as far as how it feels. Again not saying it's bad, but I think the franchi is built like a tank in comparison.

My 6th would be the A300.

I decided to chime in ONLY because I own all of these and thought I would share my own personal experience with you.

At this moment regarding what I shoot I have moved to an O/U for tournaments and also a different price point semi-auto.

But for fun I still pick up the Franchi.

Last edited by fecalguns; 10-21-2019 at 10:46 PM..
Old 10-21-2019, 11:00 PM
小さな女性

I second what FG said about the Franchi vs the A300. I own both of them also and there is no comparison. The only problem is getting a Franchi for $599. One added thing on the Franchi is that it's an inertia shotgun. Some people might prefer a gas system over an inertia system.

I pick an inertia gun over a gas gun every time with one exception; An A400, but obviously at a different price point. I own an A400 Xcel and it's COMPLETELY different than an A300. Not even close.
Quote:
-Milton Friedman