Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Competition, Action Shooting And Training.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Competition, Action Shooting And Training. Competition, Three gun, IPSC, IDPA , and Training discussion here.

Old 04-06-2012, 11:58 AM

Default Firearms training articles by Ron Avery

Great article by a great instructor, Ron Avery: Firearms training: High-performance dry-fire training concepts

All it takes is about 25 to 30 minutes 3 times a week for 4 weeks to see marked improvements.

Of course, you still have to mantain it.

Last edited by ramzar; 07-30-2012 at 10:05 PM.. Reason: Change title
Old 04-06-2012, 12:04 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Great info in that link! Along with Ron's proposed training program, an easy to follow and effective one is also published by Ben Stoeger:
http://benstoeger.myonlineplace.org/...d=46&Itemid=64
Old 04-06-2012, 2:35 PM
Veteran Member

Location: Roseville area, or wherever they pay my confiscatory rates for things only I know how to do (lol)

Good stuff all the way.

I don't pretend to be an "authority." I'm just a guy who trains a lot, shoots a lot and has a perspective.

Check the ZombieTactics Channel on YouTube for all sorts of gun-related goodness CLICK HERE
Old 04-06-2012, 10:08 PM

Ron Avery had a practical set of articles about a year ago on Gunfight Training:
  1. Gunfight training: Hype, myth, and BS (part one)
  2. Gunfight training: Hype, myth, and BS (part two)
  3. Gunfight training: Hype, myth, and BS (part three)
  4. Gunfight training: Hype, myth, and BS (part four)
Old 04-12-2012, 10:40 AM

great info man.
Old 04-19-2012, 11:12 PM

Here's another good one from Ron Avery:
Firearms training: Control the trigger, control the fight
Old 04-20-2012, 3:06 PM

Ron Avery is a really underrated trainer, I think. I've never trained with him but just based on his articles/videos. He's recently started appearing in Travis Haley's YouTube videos.

Old 04-20-2012, 5:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpthestack View Post

Ron Avery is a really underrated trainer, I think. I've never trained with him but just based on his articles/videos. He's recently started appearing in Travis Haley's YouTube videos.
Nice. Those videos compliment Ron's article on trigger control.

Ron's DVDs although somewhat dated and low on production value are excellent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzar View Post
Another great DVD set is Ron Avery: Secrets of a Professional Shooter. A few dull moments in the combined Parts 1, 2-3 but he covers well how to accurately deliver hits with speed and especially good cadence. The production value of the DVD is not the greatest but the contents are even though some of it is dated.

It came to mind when I got this great article of his today: 8 tips for bringing the gunfight to the range

Old 04-22-2012, 8:50 PM

Excellent thread, Ram!
Old 07-21-2012, 2:26 PM

Another recent article (July 16, 2012) by Ron Avery written for PoliceOne.com:

Will competition get you killed? -- The younger generation of police officers are becoming interested in competition as a way to “put their skills to the test”
Old 07-21-2012, 2:30 PM
Banned

Ron Avery was, and still is, one of the best shooters on the planet, but I curse him for getting me into facebook, I never knew I had so many friends that are shooters.
Old 07-21-2012, 3:14 PM

Good read.
Old 08-27-2012, 5:00 PM

Another good one by Ron:
Intermediate-distance shooting: A cop's tactical advantage? You will have a very real edge if you can hit at the intermediate and extended distances quickly and reliably
Old 08-28-2012, 5:23 AM
Banned

Ben Stoeger is legit.
Old 08-28-2012, 1:44 PM

Next year I'm going to concentrate on more classes with the great competitive shooters who have instructed LE/SF: Rob Leatham, Bob Vogel, Ron Avery and perhaps even Ben Stoeger as well.
Old 08-28-2012, 4:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Next year I'm going to concentrate on more classes with the great competitive shooters who have instructed LE/SF: Rob Leatham, Bob Vogel, Ron Avery and perhaps even Ben Stoeger as well.
NOW you got it! Don't forget Micheal Voigt, Taran Butler, Jojo Vidannes, Barry Dueck, they are all local.

Last edited by HighLander51; 08-28-2012 at 4:05 PM..
Old 08-28-2012, 4:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLander51 View Post
NOW you got it!
Actually, always have since Fall of 2010. I have a balanced approach to training. I started competitive shooting in August 2010 with GSSF indoor and outdoor, IDPA and USPSA. I also incorporate a lot of competition drills and classifiers into my regular training and keep logs. I've had classes with Mike Dalton of ISI (IDPA club# is 7) as well as many tactical instructors with strong background and proponents of competitive shooting. I don't participate in many matches though because they take up so much time for so few rounds and actually shooting. Still, I try. I shoot more IDPA than USPSA due to better use of tactics for the former. USPSA is better for making you shoot faster. What we do is rent ISI during the week about 1-2 times a month (although there are periods of inactivity). This way we get to run the various stages of the previous weekend along with our regular training. We further complicate things by running these stages with dummy rounds interspersed within the magazines. It affords us good practice for malfunctions and seeking cover (if you have it). A good training regimen incorporates the best of all worlds and is catered to the shooter's personal needs.
Old 08-28-2012, 4:38 PM

Quote:
Don't forget Micheal Voigt, Taran Butler, Jojo Vidannes, Barry Dueck, they are all local.
Probably Mike Voigt too. Do you have contact information for him?

I forgot that I have also taken classes with William (Bill) Go who's the 2011 California State IDPA champ in SSP division. Very interesting class of Advanced Skills Handgun (ASH) of his at the Blackwater (Academi now) facility in San Diego that I've taken twice. ASH is a great course giving you the best of all worlds.
Old 08-28-2012, 5:55 PM
Banned

Quote:

I forgot that I have also taken classes with William (Bill) Go who's the 2011 California State IDPA champ in SSP division. Very interesting class of Advanced Skills Handgun (ASH) of his at the Blackwater (Academi now) facility in San Diego that I've taken twice. ASH is a great course giving you the best of all worlds.
yes, http://maggiereeseshooting.com/Mike_Voigt/Training.html

keep in mind that IDPA was invented by Bill Wilson, one of the greatest IPSC shooters ever.

read this

http://www.frontsightmagazine.org/ar...6featuresm.pdf
Old 08-28-2012, 6:04 PM

Quote:
Thanks.

Quote:

keep in mind that IDPA was invented by Bill Wilson, one of the greatest IPSC shooters ever.

read this

http://www.frontsightmagazine.org/ar...6featuresm.pdf
IDPA was the response of founders Ken Hackathorn, Larry Vickers, Bill Wilson and a few others because "IPSC competitions had become too far removed from the reality of defensive shooting situations, using extensively modified guns, handmade ammunition, and speed-draw holsters that were impractical for self-defense".
Old 08-28-2012, 8:30 PM

Quote:
Thanks.

IDPA was the response of founders Ken Hackathorn, Larry Vickers, Bill Wilson and a few others because "IPSC competitions had become too far removed from the reality of defensive shooting situations, using extensively modified guns, handmade ammunition, and speed-draw holsters that were impractical for self-defense".
IDPA taught us that Glocks, Berettas, Sigs, etc could compete with the 1911 platform. Once IDPA got rolling USPSA devised Production Division and then Single Stack Division (1911 Division). A shooter can use the same gear at an IDPA match as he can in a USPSA match and be competitive in those divisions. So the moral is that IDPA is a good shooting game that made USPSA better also, IMHO

Keith
Old 08-28-2012, 8:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midvalleyshooter View Post
IDPA taught us that Glocks, Berettas, Sigs, etc could compete with the 1911 platform. Once IDPA got rolling USPSA devised Production Division and then Single Stack Division (1911 Division). A shooter can use the same gear at an IDPA match as he can in a USPSA match and be competitive in those divisions. So the moral is that IDPA is a good shooting game that made USPSA better also, IMHO
Indeed. In 2000 USPSA created the Production Division in response to IDPA's Stock Service Pistol (SSP) Division. These are the two divisions that I participate in since they're mostly stock pistols (you can change out to different iron sights and overgrips of various types) and only using 10 rounds in each magazine to even the field.
Old 08-28-2012, 10:20 PM

Ron is one of the very few trainers that I would take every word as gospel from. He has the shooting chops to place in the top few percent in any match, anywhere AND actually knows what he is talking about when it comes to teaching proper mind-set and self defense principles along with the shooting stuff. Heck, I would take a knife fighting class or hand to hand class from him without hesitation.

Ron Avery is one of the very few that really, really does walk the talk.

Here are some more examples of him that show just a taste of what he can actually do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbimtpBO2e8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&fe...&v=0w6ieL6GEH8
Old 08-28-2012, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffLinder View Post
Ron is one of the very few trainers that I would take every word as gospel from. He has the shooting chops to place in the top few percent in any match, anywhere AND actually knows what he is talking about when it comes to teaching proper mind-set and self defense principles along with the shooting stuff. Heck, I would take a knife fighting class or hand to hand class from him without hesitation.

Ron Avery is one of the very few that really, really does walk the talk.

Here are some more examples of him that show just a taste of what he can actually do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbimtpBO2e8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&fe...&v=0w6ieL6GEH8
Ron's great. I read his articles and watch his 3-set DVDs (somewhat dated, low on production value, at times too much classroom lecture but ultimately great) that I have. Those clips you included are from those DVDs (see below). I remember trying to go to one of his classes but his schedule was all over the place or non-existent. I will definitely take a class with him within the next six months or so. Putting it off for too long.

Quote:
Another great DVD set is Ron Avery: Secrets of a Professional Shooter. A few dull moments in the combined Parts 1, 2-3 but he covers well how to accurately deliver hits with speed and especially good cadence. The production value of the DVD is not the greatest but the contents are even though some of it is dated.

It came to mind when I got this great article of his today: 8 tips for bringing the gunfight to the range

Old 08-29-2012, 6:44 AM
Banned

Quote:
Thanks.

Don't limit yourself exclusively to IDPA. You can shoot any USPSA division using concealment and cover if you want, running sequential and tactical sequences and doing retained mag changes because there is no rule against it. The only thing you must do is start in the specified position and remain in the shooting area. You can run to cover before your first shot if you want. The thing is about USPSA is that if it doesn't say you can't do it, you can.

For example, this recent USPSA stage could be shot completely as IDPA style, if you wanted to. It turns out it was pretty much that way anyway because it was the fastest way to do it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPPr8...feature=relmfu

Last edited by HighLander51; 08-29-2012 at 8:33 AM..
Old 08-29-2012, 8:35 AM

Quote:
Don't limit yourself exclusively to IDPA. You can shoot any USPSA division using concealment and cover if you want, running sequential and tactical sequences and doing retained mag changes because there is no rule against it. The only thing you must do is start in the specified position and remain in the shooting area. You can run to cover before your first shot if you want. The thing is about USPSA is that if it doesn't say you can't do it, you can.
I understand, agree and actually do that including not dropping magazines unless empty or tactical reload or reload with retention. Almost always someone "helps" me by saying that I could get faster times and I respectfully respond that I'm using USPSA as a self-defense practice session.
Old 08-29-2012, 9:00 AM

Quote:
Bill finished second this year in the 2012 California State IDPA championship in SSP division. His background includes Lt. Colonel in USMC, instructor at Blackwater, Private Military Contractor (PMC) with Blackwater in Iraq and Director of the San Diego facility as well as competitive shooting and LE reserve.

Addendum:

Here's an AAR from the last ASH I attended with Bill Go last August.

Last edited by ramzar; 08-29-2012 at 11:09 AM.. Reason: ASH AAR
Old 08-29-2012, 11:35 AM
Banned

Quote:
Almost always someone "helps" me by saying that I could get faster times and I respectfully respond that I'm using USPSA as a self-defense practice session.
Yea, they don't get that part, but they respect it. Hey, come join us this Saturday at Norco Running Gun.
Old 08-29-2012, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Yea, they don't get that part, but they respect it. Hey, come join us this Saturday at Norco Running Gun.
Thanks but I'm out of town for the holidays. Have not been at NRG in over a year.

By far the quickest day is at ISI IDPA on Compact/Revolver days where you get two full runs in and are out before 11am.

Last edited by ramzar; 08-29-2012 at 11:43 AM..
Old 09-01-2012, 7:22 AM

Quote:
Don't forget Micheal Voigt, Taran Butler, Jojo Vidannes, Barry Dueck, they are all local.
Quote:
Quote:
Here's what Michael Voigt said in an emailed response:

Quote:
I am not currently doing any civilian training.
Between my work, competitions and military training, all my time is accounted for these days.
Old 11-23-2012, 4:35 PM

Another good one by Ron:
Scientific firearms training: The new frontier
Old 02-02-2013, 10:37 AM

Ron's insights:
Newtown shooting: The elephant in the room
Old 02-07-2013, 10:31 PM

WEAVER VS ISOCELES through Haley Strategic Partners

The first in a series of Disruptive Science videos, Ron Avery discusses and demonstrates the Weaver shooting stance vs the Modern Isoceles.

Old 04-15-2013, 9:24 AM

Another balanced article by Ron Avery. Also, check out other articles by others expanding on PoliceOne.com's Police Gun Control Survey.
Police Gun Control Survey: Are legally-armed citizens the best solution to gun violence? -- When it comes to reducing gun violence in America, nobody else in the country has anything close to the experience-based perspective from which cops can speak
Old 04-15-2013, 9:53 AM

Look at "Champion Shooting Vol:2"
There is a point where practice is the only thing that will make you better.
Regurgitating a thousand different takes on marksmanship only serves to confuse.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:47 AM

Great two books by Ben Stoeger with a lot of dry practice drills in the second volume:
  1. Champion Shooting: A Proven Process for Success at Any Level [Kindle Edition] Jay Hirshberg (Author), Ben Stoeger (Author)
  2. Champion Shooting: Guaranteed Results in 15 Minutes A Day [Kindle Edition] Jay Hirshberg (Author), Ben Stoeger (Author)
Old 05-02-2013, 9:30 PM

Another video from Ron Avery:

Old 05-03-2013, 12:03 AM

Nice video, I liked that one.
Old 05-29-2013, 8:57 AM

Another video by Ron Avery - The Need For Speed:

Old 05-31-2013, 3:47 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Thanks OP!