Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 08-11-2017, 9:28 AM

Default NRA Polling in CA - Potential Issues

I got a call as I was serving dinner last night (a survey faux pas) from someone who said they were an NRA-paid polling firm.

Without asking if I would participate or giving me a heads up on how long the survey would take (another 2 faux pas') she launched into her questions.

The first one was "Do you approve of the job Donald Trump is doing as President?" She had already robo-called me once before and after 3 "Hello's??" and no response I had hung up.

For the "smart people". Polling costs $$$. Was this really for the NRA?
Conducting polls that skew the results due to how they are constructed/implemented gives you non-actionable results. Which means wasted $$$.

I understand the dinner hour is when you are most likely to catch people. It's also the most likely time they don't want to talk to you. 7-8 pm works much better.

Starting off with a question about Trump immediately makes one wonder "what's the agenda here?". The question could and should have been inserted later in the survey if you wanted to categorize results. If the effort really is to gauge support for Trump - why??

People will only give you so much of their time. By not gaining opt in, you get hung up on (by people like me) who will only give you so much time. It doesn't help you to have survey results only from the few who will gladly let you take 15-20 minutes of their time (way too long)

Oh and - I was raised from a pup by a pro pollster who used to work at ABC News before he went to the Reagan and Bush 41 WH's. So while these are my personal opinions they are also the informed opinions of someone who has personally worked A LOT with polling in his career.

Did anyone else get a call?
Old 08-11-2017, 11:08 AM

Back in the 1980's I had a woman call from the LA Times doing a gun poll. It was funny because every time I answered another question about guns you could hear her getting ticked off more and more. I was surprised she didn't hang up on me.
Old 08-11-2017, 8:43 PM

I had the NRA interrupt my dinner a few years back as well. The telemarketer asked me what do you think is the biggest threat to your second amendment rights? Are you most concerned about President Obama or are you concerned about Renegade liberal judges or are you concerned about the United Nations. I responded that I thought the biggest threat to the second amendment was gun owners. The telemarketer representing the NRA was puzzled and said what do you mean.? They were surprised that I couldn't choose my biggest threat out of their limited choices. I in turn said that the only threat the second amendment has is for gun owners to hand it over without a fight. At that point the conversation began to break down and the person who had interrupted my dinner said well are you just going to stand on your front porch and fight people who are trying to take away your guns? And I explained that it wasn't something that I wanted or look forward to but if the fight came I would be more than willing to take up that call.
Old 08-11-2017, 8:55 PM

I bet they asked for a donation at the end of the survey.

Every time they call to ask for money it's during dinner.
Old 08-12-2017, 12:18 AM

How do you know that the Caller was really from the NRA?
Old 08-12-2017, 4:06 AM

^^^^ Conspiracy theories right? I guess the NRA would never call you and ask for money.
Old 08-12-2017, 10:29 PM

In 1776 there was an organization that said that they would take care of everything if you just kept paying your contributions. The lovers of freedom kicked those red coats off our land.
Old 08-12-2017, 10:35 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drivedabizness View Post
I got a call as I was serving dinner last night (a survey faux pas) from someone who said they were an NRA-paid polling firm.

Without asking if I would participate or giving me a heads up on how long the survey would take (another 2 faux pas') she launched into her questions.

The first one was "Do you approve of the job Donald Trump is doing as President?" She had already robo-called me once before and after 3 "Hello's??" and no response I had hung up.

For the "smart people". Polling costs $$$. Was this really for the NRA?
Conducting polls that skew the results due to how they are constructed/implemented gives you non-actionable results. Which means wasted $$$.

I understand the dinner hour is when you are most likely to catch people. It's also the most likely time they don't want to talk to you. 7-8 pm works much better.

Starting off with a question about Trump immediately makes one wonder "what's the agenda here?". The question could and should have been inserted later in the survey if you wanted to categorize results. If the effort really is to gauge support for Trump - why??

People will only give you so much of their time. By not gaining opt in, you get hung up on (by people like me) who will only give you so much time. It doesn't help you to have survey results only from the few who will gladly let you take 15-20 minutes of their time (way too long)

Oh and - I was raised from a pup by a pro pollster who used to work at ABC News before he went to the Reagan and Bush 41 WH's. So while these are my personal opinions they are also the informed opinions of someone who has personally worked A LOT with polling in his career.

Did anyone else get a call?
#1 professional pollsters would never tell you who is their client lest it skew the results.

#2 if it was the NRA, just call their 800# and ask to have your name (address and ph #) removed from all their solicitation lists. End of story.

220+ examples of CCWs Saving Lives.

KnifeRights.org/images/KRbanner_468x60-1.gif
Old 08-13-2017, 12:22 AM
Made in the USA
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Location: Free in AZ!!! yes, it's worth the Pain to make it happen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanbo View Post
^^^^ Conspiracy theories right? I guess the NRA would never call you and ask for money.
They never call without asking for money, that's for sure.
Old 08-13-2017, 11:19 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Like the Brits, many of us on this side of the pond have discovered it's far more fun to mess with polling outfits that it is to tell them the truth.

In the UK, false polling responses are a national sport, done in jest just to mess with the media. Our last Presidential election showed this is now a popular sport here and growing.
Old 08-13-2017, 1:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
#1 professional pollsters would never tell you who is their client lest it skew the results.

#2 if it was the NRA, just call their 800# and ask to have your name (address and ph #) removed from all their solicitation lists. End of story.
Thank you - exactly why I started the thread
Old 08-13-2017, 5:24 PM

I got a similiar "NRA poll" call about lunch time yesterday. The caller had a southern accent but I declined to participate. Did get baited into one of those "survey" calls many years ago that was just a scam to ask for a donation. Learned my lesson then.
Old 08-13-2017, 7:04 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDHCA View Post
Back in the 1980's I had a woman call from the LA Times doing a gun poll. It was funny because every time I answered another question about guns you could hear her getting ticked off more and more. I was surprised she didn't hang up on me.
The democrat times of LA called me too and he got exactly the same response !

Side note they (democrat times of LA ) was doing a promotion by randomly putting their paper in front of my buddies door.
Long story short he called local police and reported someone littering his porch.
Finally he contacted the antigun democrat rag and insisted they pick up their garbage as he would not touch it!

Yeah they actually sent someone out to his house to retrieve the unsolicited litter !

Its been decades since I was contacted by the NRA for anything. I did however make 30 + phone calls to NRA members in a battleground state with the request they vote Donald Trump. Yeah he won that state too.

Last edited by ja308; 08-13-2017 at 7:08 PM..
Old 08-14-2017, 10:11 AM

The number they called from had called me 3 or 4 times last week and never left a message. I answered and asked them to add me to their do not call list. That usually works if they are legit. Other option is to block the number. I'm an NRA member and will give when I can.
Old 08-15-2017, 1:55 AM
Calguns Addict

Im thinking it was not an NRA call because when I called I always left a message.
Something like " Im with the NRA and I am sorry to have bothered you.
Just a thank you for being an NRA member and a reminder Donald Trump needs your vote this tues.
Old 08-15-2017, 1:59 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I got the call today. I refused to answer his questions and he was fine with that but tried to sell me a renewal. I told him I was an NRA recruiter and could offer him a better deal than he was offering me so, he tried to sell me a life membership. LOL. I'm not sure if they get paid or just a commision from memberships and renewals.

Offering low cost private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE
Old 08-15-2017, 9:27 AM
Veteran Member

Unfortunately the NRA uses paid organizations for polling and to raise money. You get more bang for your buck if you donate directly to the NRA. Paid fundraisers are a leach on nonprofit organizations, but a necessary evil.
Old 08-15-2017, 9:38 AM
Calguns Addict

I handle all this type of calls the same way.

"WOW. I'm so glad you called, I was just looking for your number. Hang on while I grab my credit card"

Set the phone down on the counter and go back to whatever I was doing. When I hear it beep I know it's time to hang up. Amazing how long some people will wait for you to come back.

We already have the only reasonable Gun Control we need, It's called the Second Amendment and it's the government it controls.
Old 08-15-2017, 7:04 PM

71MUSTY: I listen to the whole song & dance then explain "This is the answering service....can I take a message." I can hear the steam coming out of their ears when they understand it was a waste of their time!

So, my approach is much the same!
Old 08-15-2017, 9:09 PM
Calguns Addict

Regardless of who it is (swamp media excluded ) I always say thank you for taking the time to call me but Im OK with that!
Old 08-16-2017, 8:12 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretodaygonetomorrow View Post
You don't. That's the problem.

Lorcin L380 with bottle opener mag attachment
Old 08-16-2017, 9:37 AM
Made in the USA
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Location: Free in AZ!!! yes, it's worth the Pain to make it happen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretodaygonetomorrow View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AceGirlsHusband View Post
You don't. That's the problem.
When they start their spiel - interrupt and say "I just spoke with your group three minutes ago. You guys should really get your act together" - and hang up.