Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > 2nd Amend. Litigation Updates & Legal Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

2nd Amend. Litigation Updates & Legal Discussion Discuss California 2A related litigation and legal topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 04-29-2015, 9:34 AM

Default Update 6/28/18: NSSF v. State of California (Microstamping): Reversed/Lost 6/28/2018

The trial court denied the State's motion for judgment on the pleadings.

Order available here:

http://michellawyers.com/wp-content/...nying-MJOP.pdf
Old 04-29-2015, 9:49 AM

So is this good or bad for us? Sorry, lawyer speak is confusing.
Old 04-29-2015, 10:05 AM

It's good
"It wasn't a failure of laws," said Amanda Wilcox, who along with her husband, Nick, lobbies for the California chapter of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence. "I just don't see how our gun laws could have stopped something like that."
Old 04-29-2015, 10:25 AM

Not only did they deny the motion, to me, their reasons sounded pretty much like the way they might be ruling.
Old 04-29-2015, 10:27 AM

Would this affect the entire roster, or just the microstamping portion?
Old 04-29-2015, 10:31 AM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soginator View Post
Would this affect the entire roster, or just the microstamping portion?
Just the microstamping, as the suit is now.

Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

- Marcus Aurelius
Ann Althouse: “Begin with the hypothesis that what they did is what they wanted to do. If they postured that they wanted to do something else, regard that as a con. Work from there. The world will make much more sense.”

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 04-29-2015, 11:35 AM

Interesting, the marking requirement states:

31910. (7) (A) Commencing January 1, 2010, for all semiautomatic pistols that are not already listed on the roster pursuant to Section 32015, it is not designed and equipped with a microscopic array of characters that identify the make, model, and serial number of the pistol, etched or otherwise imprinted in two or more places on the interior surface or internal working parts of the pistol, and that are transferred by imprinting on each cartridge case when the firearm is fired, provided that the Department of Justice certifies that the technology used to create the imprint is available to more than one manufacturer unencumbered by any patent restrictions.

The firing pin never touches the case. It strikes the primer, which excludes it from being a part that could imprint a cartridge case.
Old 04-29-2015, 11:43 AM

Even though this doesn't defeat the whole roster of stupidity, am I correct that it would at least enable manufacturers to actually get their firearms on roster if the microstamping requirement is removed?
Old 04-29-2015, 12:19 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELBong View Post

31910. (7) (A) Commencing January 1, 2010, for all semiautomatic pistols that are not already listed on the roster pursuant to Section 32015, it is not designed and equipped with a microscopic array of characters that identify the make, model, and serial number of the pistol, etched or otherwise imprinted in two or more places on the interior surface or internal working parts of the pistol, and that are transferred by imprinting on each cartridge case when the firearm is fired, provided that the Department of Justice certifies that the technology used to create the imprint is available to more than one manufacturer unencumbered by any patent restrictions.

The firing pin never touches the case. It strikes the primer, which excludes it from being a part that could imprint a cartridge case.
Oh, that's fun - good catch!

Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

- Marcus Aurelius
Ann Althouse: “Begin with the hypothesis that what they did is what they wanted to do. If they postured that they wanted to do something else, regard that as a con. Work from there. The world will make much more sense.”

Old 04-29-2015, 12:22 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor

Quote:
Even though this doesn't defeat the whole roster of stupidity, am I correct that it would at least enable manufacturers to actually get their firearms on roster if the microstamping requirement is removed?
Assuming that the firearms also have a compliant loaded chamber indicator (LCI) and a magazine disconnect - which many firearms do not.

NRA/USCCA/DOJ instructor, NRA CRSO, Journalist
Old 04-29-2015, 12:22 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Some.

Wouldn't cover loaded chamber indicator and magazine disconnect, or rulings like Glock/Georgia, USA is different from Glock/Austria.

- Marcus Aurelius

Old 04-29-2015, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian View Post
Not just that too, but requiring the markings being transferred to the case "when the firearm is fired" as opposed to simply being loaded.

The best things in life are beyond money; their price is agony and sweat and devotion . . . and the price demanded for the most precious of all things in life is life itself--ultimate cost for perfect value. -R.A. Heinlein
Old 04-29-2015, 1:03 PM
Banned

Nice!!!!
Old 04-29-2015, 1:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanse Davion View Post
Not just that too, but requiring the markings being transferred to the case "when the firearm is fired" as opposed to simply being loaded.
.... Plus .... there must be Two totally separate "markings" (with all the info - make model serial #) at that !

Put that on a .22 short !
I am humbled at the efforts of so many Patriots on this and other forums, CGN, CGF, SAF, NRA, CRPF, MDS etc. etc. I am lucky to be living in an era of a new awakening of the American Spirit; One that embraces it's Constitutional History, and it's Founding Fathers vision, especially in an age of such uncertainty that we are now in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by toby View Post
Go cheap you will always have cheap and if you sell, it will sell for even cheaper. Buy the best you can every time.
^^^ Wise Man. Take his advice
Old 04-29-2015, 1:42 PM

Quote:

Excellent catch! This was never explored in the pledings as far as I know. A firearm Cartridge is made up of a case, primer, powder and bullet, correct? According to the decision, and the plain language of the Statute, it would seem that the State just lost it's reliance from having two imprints on the head of the firing pin, to having NONE. No?

Having fresh eyes by a new member can be a good thing !
Great job!
I am humbled at the efforts of so many Patriots on this and other forums, CGN, CGF, SAF, NRA, CRPF, MDS etc. etc. I am lucky to be living in an era of a new awakening of the American Spirit; One that embraces it's Constitutional History, and it's Founding Fathers vision, especially in an age of such uncertainty that we are now in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by toby View Post
Go cheap you will always have cheap and if you sell, it will sell for even cheaper. Buy the best you can every time.
^^^ Wise Man. Take his advice

Last edited by Southwest Chuck; 04-29-2015 at 1:44 PM..
Old 04-29-2015, 1:55 PM
Agent 86
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian View Post
I've pointed this out before.

On and on, people write about filing the numbers off the end of the firing pin as a "fix".
The firing pin cannot be used to stamp.

Read the law, read the patent.
You do need to understand how things are made, too.
MS is not possible.
Even the MS inventor says it's not workable as is.

If this truly is a new idea to you guys, I can explain more if needed.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...&postcount=433

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citadelgrad87 View Post
I don't really care, I just like to argue.

Last edited by ojisan; 04-29-2015 at 2:07 PM..
Old 04-29-2015, 2:08 PM

Quote:

So rimfire would work? The arm antics smart gun is rimfire, so they should be required to micro stamp.
Old 04-29-2015, 3:01 PM
Mostly Harmless

Quote:
So the microstamping has to be on the bolt face.

We are talking about hypothetical technologies here, after all.
Getting called a DOJ shill has become a rite of passage around here. I've certainly been called that more than once - I've even seen Kes get called that. I haven't seen Red-O get called that yet, which is very suspicious to me, and means he's probably a DOJ shill.
Old 04-29-2015, 4:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
So the microstamping has to be on the bolt face.
But then you've got the manufacturer's markings on the head of the case that are going to interfere with the readability of any microstamping applied to this region.
Old 04-29-2015, 4:33 PM
Mostly Harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumline View Post
But then you've got the manufacturer's markings on the head of the case that are going to interfere with the readability of any microstamping applied to this region.
Does it saw anywhere in the legislation the microstamping has to be readable?

I think not!
Getting called a DOJ shill has become a rite of passage around here. I've certainly been called that more than once - I've even seen Kes get called that. I haven't seen Red-O get called that yet, which is very suspicious to me, and means he's probably a DOJ shill.
Old 04-29-2015, 6:44 PM

so is the microstamping issue officially gone?
Old 04-29-2015, 7:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stag6.8 View Post
not yet, but based on the opinion (pdf) i read above, it looks like its on the hoizon
Old 04-29-2015, 7:44 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stag6.8 View Post
No.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMonfort View Post
The trial court denied the State's motion for judgment on the pleadings.
That means that the case will go to trial, unless it somehow gets settled another way.

- Marcus Aurelius

Old 04-29-2015, 7:58 PM

Good catch/review on the primer issue.

How does microstamping work with caseless ammunition?
Old 04-29-2015, 9:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojisan View Post
I've pointed this out before.

On and on, people write about filing the numbers off the end of the firing pin as a "fix".
The firing pin cannot be used to stamp.

Read the law, read the patent.
You do need to understand how things are made, too.
MS is not possible.
Even the MS inventor says it's not workable as is.

If this truly is a new idea to you guys, I can explain more if needed.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...&postcount=433
Unfortunately, according to this order, the plaintiffs (NSSF) have already ceded that the firing pin is likely a workable solution, so that argument may already be moot.

However, if you read through the patent that the law was based on, the wording of the law, and the intent of the law as based on the discussion of the law as it went through the legislature, two places ALWAYS meant on the firing pin, and somewhere in a vastly different location from it. The patent drawings show it coming in on the side of a casing. AKA, let's drill a ****ing hole in the side of the chamber, that sounds like a great idea, not even discounting smearing from chamber in and ejecting, erosion, brass hardness, manufacturing ability.

The legislature wrote an inane law that is impossible to comply with.
Old 04-30-2015, 7:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertMW View Post

Welllll....the law is being complied with if such guns without the mandated stamping features are no longer available, which is likely the entire point of the law to begin with. Get as many guns as possible off the shelf.

...rotten bass-turds.
Old 04-30-2015, 9:49 AM

Nice! The ruling seems to address the issues without a lot of hand waving about public safety and such. Hopefully this will be looked at as a technical issue and not a "gun" issue.

I like the reading above re the firing pin marking the primer vs the case. I am not sure, but I don't think that anything in the pleadings up to this point would stop plaintiff from adding that into their complaint. Firing pins, as currently (and for the last hundred years or more) do not strike the "case", which is a different part of the cartridge from the primer. The plain meaning seems to be very clear, although legislative intent seems to have been to include the firing pin as one of the markers.

Go get em!
Old 04-30-2015, 10:06 AM

Seems to happen too often.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertMW View Post

Ammo Bros - San Diego Facebook
Old 04-30-2015, 1:29 PM

Quote:

Since we are dealing with a statute it is important to determine if there is any statutory definition of case. My quick research turned up the following:
Quote:
Pen. Code Sec. 16840.
(a) [snip]
(b) As used in Chapter 2 (commencing with Section 25100) of
Division 4 of Title 4, in subparagraph (A) of paragraph (6) of
subdivision (c) of Section 25400, and in Sections 25850 to 26055,
inclusive,
(1) A firearm shall be deemed to be "loaded" when there is an
unexpended cartridge or shell, consisting of a case that holds a
charge of powder and a bullet or shot
, in, or attached in any manner
to, the firearm, including, but not limited to, in the firing
chamber, magazine, or clip thereof attached to the firearm.
(2) [snip]
I foresee the AG arguing that this definition of case is broad enough to include the primer given that our legislators are unaware of the meaning of accepted gun nomenclature. This argument is weakened by the fact that the definition of case is expressly limited to a specific section of the Penal Code and does not apply to the unsafe handguns laws.
Old 04-30-2015, 1:55 PM
Administrator

Doesn't really help an opposing argument much - the definition is quite clear where it applies:
Quote:
(b) As used in Chapter 2 (commencing with Section 25100) of
Division 4 of Title 4, in subparagraph (A) of paragraph (6) of
subdivision (c) of Section 25400, and in Sections 25850 to 26055,
inclusive,
while the Roster related code is 31910, as you quote.

It is possible to argue that the Legislature was specific about this, and since they did not choose to apply one piece of code (definition) to any other piece of code, that is not what they meant.

- Marcus Aurelius

Old 04-30-2015, 3:50 PM
Veteran Member

Boy, reading that decision, I kept thinking, "How many microstamps CAN you have dancing on the head of a pin?"

Echoes of my Catholic upbringing, I suppose.

Hopefully this idiocy gets tossed into the trash bin, although I don't know what would then stop the legislature from coming back and writing a microstamping law that only requires a microstamp on one location.

Proud to belong to the NRA Members' Council of Santa Clara County

Disclaimer: All opinions are entirely my own.
Old 04-30-2015, 7:50 PM

"...and that can be legibly, reliably, repeatedly, consistently, and effectively transferred..."

Maybe I'm reading too much into that quote, and its string of adjectives hinting at "does this crap even work?", but it seems like the judge is hinting to the state that "science" isn't on their side and they should think of settling.

Even New Jersey's executive branch had the decency to not declare the "smart gun" available yet.

The good news is if our politician's real goal was reducing handgun availability, the gun units sold numbers in recent years blow their thesis right in the face.

Last edited by thorium; 04-30-2015 at 7:59 PM..
Old 04-30-2015, 8:13 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorium View Post
"...and that can be legibly, reliably, repeatedly, consistently, and effectively transferred..."

Maybe I'm reading too much into that quote, and its string of adjectives hinting at "does this crap even work?", but it seems like the judge is hinting to the state that "science" isn't on their side and they should think of settling.

Even New Jersey's executive branch had the decency to not declare the "smart gun" available yet.

The good news is if our politician's real goal was reducing handgun availability, the gun units sold numbers in recent years blow their thesis right in the face.
CA DOJ is smarter than NJ and probably most if not all other opposition groups.

I do not read private messages, and my inbox is usually full. If you need to reach me, please email me instead.

My comments are not the official position or a statement of any organization unless stated otherwise. My comments are not legal advice; if you want or need legal advice, hire a lawyer.
Old 05-01-2015, 9:21 AM

Quote:

Not to quibble, because I think microstamping is dumb and unworkable (or easily subverted if workable), but wouldn't the extractor be able to make a marking on the case? Though it could do this even when the gun isn't fired, just merely ejecting a round (spent or not).
Old 05-01-2015, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdoggeth View Post
Not to quibble, because I think microstamping is dumb and unworkable (or easily subverted if workable), but wouldn't the extractor be able to make a marking on the case? Though it could do this even when the gun isn't fired, just merely ejecting a round (spent or not).

Only if the amount of force to extract the case is more than the amount of force to imprint the information.
Old 05-01-2015, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdoggeth View Post
Really? Now we're trying to help them figure out how to make it work?
Those acting in the public interest assume obligations of accountability and transparency. Retroactively redefining goals while claiming yet refusing to disclose some "master plan" is just the opposite. So is viciously trashing anyone who questions your judgment. -navyinrwanda
Old 05-01-2015, 12:22 PM

Talking two comments...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildhawker View Post
Brandon, if that is snark its too subtle for me..."CA DOJ smarter"...

Thorium, if I recall the backstory on NJ aspect of the CA smart gun by micro-stamping was that the original sponsor of the NJ law was desperate to unwind her own law, because the fact that the Armatix had been retailed in CA, meant that it triggered the clause written in 2002, that said the ONLY guns that could be sold after 3 years in NJ would be smart guns.
Maybe even cops....

At one point NJ Senate leader Loretta Weinberg went on record 'blaming the NRA for not making a deal' to get the State off the hook of her own petard:

http://www.msnbc.com/all/democrat-we...-smart-gun-law

I know, its so crooked and nonsensical its funny, but remember- its Jersey, and never mind, the fix is in:

Here is the State AG riding to the rescue with a "new interpretation".

http://blogs.wsj.com/law/2014/12/02/...-gun-ag-finds/

NRA Lifetime Member, SAF Lifetime Member
Old 05-01-2015, 4:19 PM

What is the required text size and font?
Old 05-08-2015, 6:48 PM

Cool so, Brandon on your assertion that "CA DOJ smarter than..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildhawker View Post
http://pjmedia.com/instapundit/206356/

Still trying to parse your one liner- CA DOJ is smart, or was it snark?

I can see Ms Kamala Harris, the politician, being smart- politically.
But I dont see a lot of smart in CA DOJ, leadership or management wise.

But then I am not so close to it as you. Feel free to PM if you like.

NRA Lifetime Member, SAF Lifetime Member
Old 05-08-2015, 7:05 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlc2 View Post
http://pjmedia.com/instapundit/206356/

Still trying to parse your one liner- CA DOJ is smart, or was it snark?

I can see Ms Kamala Harris, the politician, being smart- politically.
But I dont see a lot of smart in CA DOJ, leadership or management wise.

But then I am not so close to it as you. Feel free to PM if you like.
No snark. When Brown was AG, he cleaned up DOJ and brought in some very competent people. Many of those remain at DOJ under Harris. And Harris is more politically aggressive, especially on our issue.

I do not read private messages, and my inbox is usually full. If you need to reach me, please email me instead.

My comments are not the official position or a statement of any organization unless stated otherwise. My comments are not legal advice; if you want or need legal advice, hire a lawyer.