Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 12-07-2016, 7:54 AM

Default Choosing Appropriate Handguns

Guys, I need some advice about choosing handguns for a security training school.

The school I work for is a private, for-profit, vocational school that is going to add armed security guard training to the program. The school will need to purchase handguns for the students to use during the firearms training portion of the program.

I am thinking of having the school purchase four handguns; one .38/.357 revolver, one 9mm, one .40 cal, and one .45 ACP. I want the handguns to be good, law enforcement, quality guns. For the revolver I was thinking a S&W 686 or a Ruger SP100. For the semi autos I was thinking a Glock 17, Glock 22, and Glock 21.

The reason I am thinking of Glock for the semi autos is because; they are on the roster and can be purchased by security guards, they are simple to use and operate, they are the most popular gun used by law enforcement in the United States, and they are of high quality.

I am wide open to other suggestions. If anyone has better ideas or advice for me I would really appreciate hearing them!
Old 12-07-2016, 8:20 AM
Calguns Addict

Why four calibers? Why not just one? And that being 9mm due to ammo costs? There aren't that many law enforcement agencies using revolvers...or 45acp. Plenty use 9mm. Or is there some requirement that you give students exposure to multiple calibers/platforms of handguns? Because I suspect it's far more expensive to keep ammo and maintain weapons for four calibers vs. one.

Fighter Pilot

Last edited by L84CABO; 12-07-2016 at 8:25 AM..
Old 12-07-2016, 8:22 AM
Calguns Addict

Are you trying to get all 4 calibers because they have to qualify with the caliber they intend to use on the job?
If not, why not just get 4 Glock 17's?
Old 12-07-2016, 8:29 AM

Thanks for the replies, guys. I am thinking of four calibers for a couple of reasons;

First, I want to give our students the most choices possible, and

Second, I know that the Federal government security contracts require the security officers to carry .40 cal and the Los Angeles County security contracts require the security officers carry 9mm

The government security contracts, Federal, LA County, and LA City, pay the highest in Southern California (the fed contract pays $28 per hour) and these are the jobs I want my students to get.
Old 12-07-2016, 9:10 AM
Veteran Member

IMHO you made a good decision on the Glocks.

Glocks because they are relatively inexpensive and widely available. That is a plus because if they are in training, they will go through a lot of use and abuse.

I'm just not so sure about the revolver. Is it that you want them to get exposed to revolvers also? My opinion is, the students should learn revolvers on their own if they have interest. Show them if you want, let them fondle it, but I don't think it should be a core part of instruction.
Old 12-07-2016, 9:22 AM

A few qualifiers:

- I lurve S&W revolvers, and have owned one type or another for pretty much my entire adult life. I think the Model 10 is one of God's greatest inventions.
- I think the Ruger GP-100 is the ultimate .357 Magnum.
- I'm pretty sure Glocks are the physical manifestation of idiocracy and the whole polymer pistol thing is a passing fad.
- See sig.

Having said that, stock up on G17s and don't even think of anything else. You're teaching people how to handle guns and shoot, not issuing them their carry weapon. The Glock is pretty much THE generic sidearm, as the 9mm is the cartridge equivalent, and knowing how to handle/shoot a 9mm handgun will translate to other calibers just fine.

I do believe that where there is a choice only between cowardice and violence
I would advise violence. - M. Gandhi
You're my kind of stupid. - M. Reynolds
Old 12-07-2016, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOrange View Post
A few qualifiers:

Having said that, stock up on G17s and don't even think of anything else. You're teaching people how to handle guns and shoot, not issuing them their carry weapon.
Pretty much this. If they want to use a different firearm/caliber for the reasons you mentioned they can always bring it themselves.
Old 12-07-2016, 12:07 PM

OP, you gave good rationale behind considering 9mm and .40SW. But why the other two? I agree the revolver thing is probably not crucial to core instruction. I love revolvers, but would not carry one as a primary.

Good plan on the Glocks. Cheap to buy, maintain, replace, and as said before - very user friendly.
Old 12-07-2016, 12:13 PM
Agent 86
CGN Contributor

Exposure to a revolver is good as there are millions of them out there and they might find themselves limited to one.

Nothing wrong with a Glock, but exposure to other common autoloader designs would be wise as well.
Think of a CZ75, Beretta 92 or Smith 3rd gen with the decocking safety and DA /SA trigger operation.
Think of a 1911 type design with SA only trigger and frame mounted safety.
A Sig example would also be good given their popularity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citadelgrad87 View Post
I don't really care, I just like to argue.
Old 12-07-2016, 5:38 PM

All good points, guys. Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it. I will think on all of your suggestions and get back to you what I decide.
Old 12-07-2016, 8:21 PM
Calguns Addict

I think having variety is good and helpful. Having one Glock is enough, probably the Glock 22. Then for a 9mm, get a CZ 75 - maybe a P-01 to add a compact option. For a 45, get a 1911. You already got the revolver covered.

Cool class!
Old 12-07-2016, 8:42 PM
Calguns Addict

The first thing I would do is call some of the other BSIS schools that offer firearms training and ask what they are doing. I know a couple of people who have gone through courses and there is no live fire they use a simulator. Probably cheaper and easier than having to maintain different platforms, secure a range facility, purchase ammo, and find a qualified instructor along with the insurance coverage.
Old 12-07-2016, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojisan View Post
Exposure to a revolver is good as there are millions of them out there and they might find themselves limited to one.

Nothing wrong with a Glock, but exposure to other common autoloader designs would be wise as well.
Think of a CZ75, Beretta 92 or Smith 3rd gen with the decocking safety and DA /SA trigger operation.
Think of a 1911 type design with SA only trigger and frame mounted safety.
A Sig example would also be good given their popularity.
That's a good point, there's always the possibility that your students will run into other types of guns in the course of their job, and it would be nice if they knew how to put one on safe, for example. An old-timer cop once wrote that it's not unusual to see a newer officer completely at a loss as to how to unload a revolver!

I read about one informal test conducted by a PD, back when autoloaders were taking over the law enforcement market. They rounded up people who had zero firearms experience and had them try to pick up and fire different types of handguns. The DA revolver was instabang, as you can imagine, and the SA revolver was right behind. It took the test subjects an average of 15 seconds to figure out how to fire a cocked and locked 1911, and the DA/SA auto with a slide-mounted safety took the longest.

So I'd stick with the Glocks for training, but perhaps have a familiarization session to expose them to other types.

I do believe that where there is a choice only between cowardice and violence
I would advise violence. - M. Gandhi
You're my kind of stupid. - M. Reynolds