Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CALIFORNIA SHOOTING CLUBS AND ORGANIZATIONS > California Precision Rifle Club
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California Precision Rifle Club California Precision Rifle Club Forum

Old 10-25-2012, 11:23 AM

Default Looking for long distance shooting range over 1000 yards around Bay Area CA

About 2 hours drive is fine.
Thanks!
Old 10-30-2012, 5:05 PM
Veteran Member

here is the only "legal" shooting place for long distance.

http://www.sacvalley.org/index.html

must join and jump hoops to use the long range.

Old 10-30-2012, 6:03 PM
Veteran Member

read the sticky in the rifles section and stop spreading misinformation
Old 11-02-2012, 7:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by packnrat View Post
here is the only "legal" shooting place for long distance.

http://www.sacvalley.org/index.html

must join and jump hoops to use the long range.

One of the finest ranges in the southwest. Worth the hoops.
Folks from SoCal routinely drive all the way up there to shoot matches. I have. Several times.

Get in contact with NCPPRC. Great guys. They'll get you started.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:19 AM

Not really any hoops, just have to know what days they schedule "practice" days. The main issue is you have to have sufficient people, enough for multiples in the pits and on the line. This is a safety rule.

Sac Valley/Folsom Shooting Club is, without a doubt, the best shooting facility in CA. There are lots of uses on the 1000 yard range, everything from vintage military, F class and space rifles. Plenty of opportunity for you.
Old 11-27-2012, 6:03 PM

We shoot 1000 yards in Panoche and Tummey Hills, all the time.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:27 PM

Cant beat Sac Valley and really no hoops to jump thru.....
Old 12-13-2012, 5:50 PM

2nd for Sac Valley 1000 yard range

Its a range unlike any other in CA, its big, its open. The best you can hope for in the bay area is 100 yards.

Best range in the bay area is the Chabot Gun Club in Castro Valley, pretty forested area, only 100 yards though but I'd check it if I were you.
Old 12-19-2012, 1:19 PM

I would think Sunnyvale Gun club better, closer to me and well run, nice people. I shot at Chabot also, indeed nice place.

San Jose public range has 200 yards, please check the website for the date of open and call in advance also. I've went there expecting to shoot at the 200 yards, but was told it is closed that day (web says it should be open) and I should call in advance.
Old 12-24-2012, 2:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAJOR View Post
About 2 hours drive is fine.
Thanks!
http://ncpprc.com
Old 01-06-2013, 5:49 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealFitness View Post
Best range in the bay area is the Chabot Gun Club in Castro Valley, pretty forested area, only 100 yards though but I'd check it if I were you.
And unsafe, what with the rangemasters ending ceasefires with people still downrange

I vote for panoche also for 1000 yards. I have a 1300 and 1770 yard range out there. Just cruze google earth along the main and side roads, you'll eventually find a good spot to investigate when you drive out there, including GPS coordinates, tracks, street-level views, etc.

Panoche for me is EXACTLY 2 hours by car if we take hwy 5, and if we take little panoche road to Tres Pinos it's 1 hr 50 minutes.
Old 01-09-2013, 8:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiterabbit View Post
And unsafe, what with the rangemasters ending ceasefires with people still downrange

I vote for panoche also for 1000 yards. I have a 1300 and 1770 yard range out there. Just cruze google earth along the main and side roads, you'll eventually find a good spot to investigate when you drive out there, including GPS coordinates, tracks, street-level views, etc.

Panoche for me is EXACTLY 2 hours by car if we take hwy 5, and if we take little panoche road to Tres Pinos it's 1 hr 50 minutes.
When I get my new Savage 110BA .338LM scoped, I'd love to see the 1300 and 1700 range. I'm not ready for sanctioned events yet and need to get several hundred rounds down range first. I drove out there the other day and there were a few people shooting in all directions. They were acting like cowboys and being generally uncool so I was reluctand to drive past them.
Old 01-09-2013, 8:46 PM
Calguns Addict

great rifle. I can actually recover my sight picture fast enough to see hits at 700 yards pretty easily. And I have the much lighter version, just the LRH111.
Old 01-09-2013, 9:06 PM

Thanks! I've heard from others that the 110BA is a dream to shoot. I can't wait until the weather gets a little warmer.
Old 01-09-2013, 9:07 PM

Thanks! I've heard from others that the 110BA is a dream to shoot. I can't wait until the weather gets a little warmer.
Old 01-09-2013, 9:34 PM
Calguns Addict

Too tacticool for me. I don't even like the sunshade on my scope, I leave it off.

But it IS a dream to shoot. The brake is shockingly effective. Shockingly. You want a fun time sometime, nab some crush washers from Brownells and take the brake off. Doesn't recoil too bad at all. Like a 20 ga. But once the brake is back on it's easy to see just how effective that design is.

Last edited by Whiterabbit; 09-27-2013 at 11:25 AM..
Old 01-10-2013, 7:15 AM

I've got dozens of traditional hunting rifles, shotguns and pistols but have resisited the whole tactical thing for decades. Slowly, I am moving that direction for home defense (M&P 45 instead of Colt Python) and now target shooting (100BA, AR10, AR15 instead of various Rem700, Rem40XB, etc.) I'm not abandoning the traditional, just branching out into new territory.

Amazing how small that 111 looks compared to the 110. I know there will be days when I regret buying such a big gun....well, maybe not
Old 01-10-2013, 7:36 AM
Calguns Addict

good luck. I put down a group 1/2" tall and 2 inches wide at 320 yards on a rickety table with that rest up there with handloads the last time I went to Panoche. I'm no long range shooter. The accuracy potential is there.
Old 01-14-2013, 1:37 PM

Quote:
good luck. I put down a group 1/2" tall and 2 inches wide at 320 yards on a rickety table with that rest up there with handloads the last time I went to Panoche. I'm no long range shooter. The accuracy potential is there.
@Whiterabbit

Are you also part of DIYMA or the old elitecaraudio.com forums?
Old 01-14-2013, 1:53 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:

So is it BLM land out there then? I've taken the road from Holister over the hills and into Fresno before and I've never seen anyone out there shooting. Maybe its time to look at it a bit closer.
Old 01-14-2013, 2:09 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilSpecMonkey View Post
@Whiterabbit

Are you also part of DIYMA or the old elitecaraudio.com forums?
ECA. I left DIYMA when npdang did in 2008. There are some great audio messageboards left. DIYMA is not one of them. Sadly, the loss of ECA scattered too many experts who have not been able to join together under a common banner.

There's only one whiterabbit.
Old 01-17-2013, 2:01 PM

Curious on the answer to this also, what's with this Panoche area? Can someone give more details?

-Freq

Old 01-17-2013, 2:08 PM
Calguns Addict

google panoche. Check it out on google maps or google earth. Then hop in your car with a buddy, your guns, and some standing targets and drive out there. You don't have to go far in or get off the main road to find suitable locations to set up shop.
Old 01-17-2013, 2:57 PM

Quote:
google panoche. Check it out on google maps or google earth. Then hop in your car with a buddy, your guns, and some standing targets and drive out there. You don't have to go far in or get off the main road to find suitable locations to set up shop.
And this is BLM land? Any where I can check for info on the legalities of shooting there? Also does CPRC operate at all in NorCal, or is all the action down south? Thanks,

-Freq

Last edited by Freq18Hz; 01-17-2013 at 3:59 PM..
Old 01-17-2013, 5:51 PM
Calguns Addict

Dunno anything about CPRC, but seriously, google panoche. Just type it into google. I'm telling you, a google of panoche is gonna answer everything. Between what you find in google, when you google panoche, by typing panoche into google, after calling the Hollister BLM and saying "hey, I hear I can target shoot on panoche, is that true?", and after reading my recommendation in post 23 on how to accomplish the deed, you'll be totally set.

That, or I completely misunderstood your question.

(try "panoche BLM" as the keywords and hitting "im feeling lucky")

Old 01-17-2013, 5:57 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1-M-42 View Post
Not really any hoops, just have to know what days they schedule "practice" days. The main issue is you have to have sufficient people, enough for multiples in the pits and on the line. This is a safety rule.

Sac Valley/Folsom Shooting Club is, without a doubt, the best shooting facility in CA. There are lots of uses on the 1000 yard range, everything from vintage military, F class and space rifles. Plenty of opportunity for you.
This!^ It's the best place to try out to 1K yards in around the bay.
Old 01-17-2013, 6:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freq18Hz View Post
And this is BLM land? Any where I can check for info on the legalities of shooting there? Also does CPRC operate at all in NorCal, or is all the action down south? Thanks,

-Freq
Quote:
Dunno anything about CPRC, but seriously, google panoche. Just type it into google. I'm telling you, a google of panoche is gonna answer everything. Between what you find in google, when you google panoche, by typing panoche into google, after calling the Hollister BLM and saying "hey, I hear I can target shoot on panoche, is that true?", and after reading my recommendation in post 23 on how to accomplish the deed, you'll be totally set.

That, or I completely misunderstood your question.

(try "panoche BLM" as the keywords and hitting "im feeling lucky")

Hmmmmm, I think he might have a hard time with a google search, using keyword Panoche. Maybe , we are all better off telling everyone that Panoche is closed down, they don't allow shooting, and so on, and we can have the place all to ourselves.
Old 01-18-2013, 1:36 AM

Quote:
ECA. I left DIYMA when npdang did in 2008. There are some great audio messageboards left. DIYMA is not one of them. Sadly, the loss of ECA scattered too many experts who have not been able to join together under a common banner.

There's only one whiterabbit.
I had a feeling it was you. I had a Nissan Altima with a full DLS sound system in my car. It's nice to run into you on this forum here. I guess we have common interests. I'm saving up money right now for a long range build after I finish up a few more AR builds I have in the works.
Old 01-18-2013, 8:04 AM
Calguns Addict

Did you know Bing is still holding shows? Keep coming out. I bring the car to every show I'm made aware of. Shows are in San Jose near the old site for Valkrie Arms. Some indoor sports center.
Old 02-21-2013, 9:23 PM
Calguns Addict

We shoot 50bmg's to 2300 yards at Cow Mountain recreation area two hours north of the golden gate bridge.I would pass on Sacramento.Its a great facility but some there are not as nice as others.
Jim O'connel is the greatest guy there and his morals are beyond reproach but not everyone is Jim O'connel..
Old 03-07-2014, 12:16 PM

So looks like the choices are:

Tumney Hills / Panoche
Cow Mountain

My questions are:
1. What are the exact places to go and directions to them?
2. What precautions to take when planning for shooting out there?
3. Any law enforcement considerations to think about?

Thanks,

all-cal
Old 03-07-2014, 12:25 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by all-cal View Post
So looks like the choices are:

Tumney Hills / Panoche
Cow Mountain

My questions are:
1. What are the exact places to go and directions to them?

2. What precautions to take when planning for shooting out there?

3. Any law enforcement considerations to think about?

Thanks,

all-cal
1. https://maps.google.com/maps?q=panoc...hills&t=m&z=19

Get you to that intersection, then take the access road. Once past the bathroom, pull over anywhere you see 1000 yards plus backstop and enjoy.

2. precautions, there are NO services. Bring your own water, targets, etc.

3. I've never seen LE out there. Occasionally a shooter. Easy to find your own place.

Enjoy!
Old 03-28-2014, 11:00 PM

http://www.coalingarifleclub.org/
Old 05-07-2014, 8:14 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealFitness View Post
Its a range unlike any other in CA, its big, its open. The best you can hope for in the bay area is 100 yards.

A small nit on the "the best you can hope for in the bay area is 100 yards........."

Range 8 at Chabot goes to 200 yards and has pits. It's used for Highpower competition, and as far as I know is open for practice on Thursdays.

Also, USI in Concord has a 200 yard multipurpose range, open to members and guests. Membership is a staggering $25 a year.

"Give a conservative a pile of bricks and you get a beautiful city. Give a leftist a city and you get a pile of bricks."
Old 05-07-2014, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbossman View Post
A small nit on the "the best you can hope for in the bay area is 100 yards........."

Range 8 at Chabot goes to 200 yards and has pits. It's used for Highpower competition, and as far as I know is open for practice on Thursdays.

Also, USI in Concord has a 200 yard multipurpose range, open to members and guests. Membership is a staggering $25 a year.
Cabot 200 yard range is open 10:00 to 12:00 on Fridays only for open shooting. Otherwise, you must be part of a competition or club to use the range.