Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calgunners in Service
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calgunners in Service This forum is a place for our active duty and deployed members to share, request and have a bit of home where ever they are.

Old 10-02-2010, 8:32 AM

Default Startled an Airman

Not trying to jump on the bandwagon... Just a story I had to share...

I was walking thru a parking lot, headed into a department store. Saw a young man, in uniform, walking the opposite way. As we passed, he glanced over at me, briefly. Just the sort of glance to make sure you're not going to bump into someone. I smiled, nodded and said "Thank you". He seemed a little startled and didn't know quite how to respond. He did manage a shy "welcome". Neither of us stopped, it was just that quick and easy to thank a US military serviceman.

So... If the E-4 Senior Airman, that was at the Vacaville Walmart yesterday, around 1600 Hrs, is reading this... sorry if I startled you and thanks again for your service to our country.
Old 10-02-2010, 10:11 PM
Veteran Member

I"ve had people come up to me (when in uniform) and thank me for my service. I actually had one lady approach me who told me she wanted to say "thanks" but she was apprehensive due to all my stripes, hehe. (I retired as an E-8.) I know alot of service members that aren't so much embarrased about somebody saying "thanks" as they are about receiving it. Most just feel they are doing a job they chose, abliet the dangers that go along with it.

Thank you for going out of your way to pay your respects to that service member. If they don't seem exactly like they are sure how to responsd, don't feel slighted. Of all the military peeps I know, from the crusty E-9's down to the lowly E-1's, all of them feel humbled when the public recognizes their duty to this country.
Old 10-03-2010, 7:27 AM

Airmen startle easily...they're best approached silently and from downwind....

Last edited by ChuckBooty; 10-03-2010 at 12:04 PM..
Old 10-03-2010, 5:26 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckBooty View Post
Airmen startle easily...they're best approached silently and from downwind....
You know my son-in-law?
Old 10-03-2010, 6:47 PM
Calguns Addict

When I flew in uniform I received all sorts of compliments at airports. One elderly gentleman who is an Aeronautics Instructor at Purdue told me about the respect he has had for the military since he was a small boy. We got to talking and he showed me his picture from when he was in WWII. Japanese Army.
Old 10-03-2010, 8:26 PM
Veteran Member

Ya I've never felt right when people tell me thank you. I think a real thanks should go to all the people who support us. Like the ammo manufacturers, the body armor makers, FN and Colt to name a few. If it weren't for them we couldn't do our job.

To be American is to disobey.
Old 10-06-2010, 1:09 AM

Weird. When I was in uniform in public, just old timers would come over to talk shop. It wasn't until I came home from Desert Storm did civie strangers say anything. But never had a bible thumper ambush me anywhere. That's pretty weird. ;p

Resident CCW: Enhanced ID
Non Resident CCW: AZ, FL, NV, OR, & UT