Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 05-17-2019, 12:23 PM

Default M2 Carbine

Is there any way to make a Inland M2 carbine legal? Can you convert it to semi auto and sell it it, or does that M2 stamp make it illegal forever?

I heard that back in 1968, they were grandfathered in, but not sure if that is true. From what I heard you had to register them and keep the paperwork

Grandfather of a friend has it in another state thinks he has one, but I have not seen it.
Old 05-17-2019, 12:32 PM

You cant make a machine gun not a machine gun to my knowledge.
Old 05-17-2019, 12:33 PM

Once a MG always a MG, You would have to do what they do with other parts kits, cut the receiver up and use a new receiver to rebuild.
Old 05-17-2019, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shootsocal_dave View Post
You cant make a machine gun not a machine gun to my knowledge.
I know you can convert it with M1 parts....it is supposed to be simple, but you can’t get rid of that M2 stamp....,

I just want to get the old guy some money for it if it’s possible. Otherwise it’s getting destroyed cause it’s to much of a liability for the guy.
Old 05-17-2019, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyro View Post
Once a MG always a MG, You would have to do what they do with other parts kits, cut the receiver up and use a new receiver to rebuild.
That’s what I am suggesting at this point, but I thought I would pass it through you guys.....

Where would you get a new receiver?
Old 05-17-2019, 12:49 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg36f View Post
That’s what I am suggesting at this point, but I thought I would pass it through you guys.....

Maybe James River Armory. They used to refurbish a lot of carbines

NRA Life Member
CRPA Life Member
NRA Rifle Instructor
NRA Shotgun Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
DOJ Certified Instructor
Old 05-17-2019, 12:54 PM

These guys might have some

http://www.riverbankarmory.com/parts1.html
Old 05-17-2019, 1:01 PM
I need a LIFE!!

The ATF is good if someone brought home a trophy with approval

If it is a class 3, strip the gun to the receiver and contact the atf

“Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.”
— Neil deGrasse Tyson
Old 05-17-2019, 1:02 PM
I need a LIFE!!

It is a federal felony and many state crimes. It’s never worth your rights and freedom

Plus if it is legal as a war trophy, it is worth a lot

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=f2fV6M8IAKg

“Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.”
— Neil deGrasse Tyson
Old 05-17-2019, 1:04 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I did not find an M2 for sale

Here is an M16

https://www.machineguncentral.com/Vi...e-05e8ce1d509f

— Neil deGrasse Tyson
Old 05-17-2019, 1:07 PM
I need a LIFE!!

$7,000-11,000

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/803408732

— Neil deGrasse Tyson
Old 05-17-2019, 1:08 PM

Quote:

Fulton armory has nice forged new ones.

CMP forum has 'em selling sometimes

good luck
Unless a law-abiding individual has a firearm for his or her own defense, the police typically arrive after it is too late. With rigor mortis setting in, they mark and bag the evidence, interview bystanders, and draw a chalk outline on the ground. But the victim, nevertheless, is dead, or raped, or robbed, or traumatized.

the Honorable Roger T. Benitez
Old 05-17-2019, 1:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyro View Post
For God's sake noooooooo!
Unless a law-abiding individual has a firearm for his or her own defense, the police typically arrive after it is too late. With rigor mortis setting in, they mark and bag the evidence, interview bystanders, and draw a chalk outline on the ground. But the victim, nevertheless, is dead, or raped, or robbed, or traumatized.

Old 05-17-2019, 1:11 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Is there any way to make a Inland M2 carbine legal? Can you convert it to semi auto and sell it it, or does that M2 stamp make it illegal forever?

I heard that back in 1968, they were grandfathered in, but not sure if that is true. From what I heard you had to register them and keep the paperwork

Grandfather of a friend has it in another state thinks he has one, but I have not seen it.
I would first ensure it really is an M2 Carbine. The last one I was asked about (from a cop friend in LA who supposedly knew something about guns) turned out to be an early 60's made Universal Carbine. Despite all the questions meant to ID it as an M2 being answered "yes, that's what it looks like" when the photos showed up …… plain old Universal.
Old 05-17-2019, 1:15 PM

well, it will be clearly stamped either M1 or M2 on the receiver ring

Old 05-17-2019, 1:22 PM
Calguns Addict

http://www.e-sarcoinc.com/rockola-m1...receivers.aspx new production Rockola $195
Old 05-17-2019, 1:30 PM

Thank you for all the help. There is no paperwork at all with this gun, so I don’t think there are any loopholes to keep it. I am thinking that getting a new receiver for it it’s probably the best thing, Although the receivers are pretty darn expensive. A legit inland receiver at Riverbank is 650. I will check the other places that were mentioned out. I will check the other places that were mentioned out

I will pass on your advice, and let him decide. The penalties for keeping it are just too high to keep it as it is.
Old 05-17-2019, 1:37 PM

Riverbank is a scammer, he sells fake parts all over Ebay under different names. keep an eye on the CMP forum classified ads. lots of true enthusiasts sell there and prices are reasonable if and when one pops up. there's a complete inland rifle for $800 right now.

Old 05-17-2019, 2:08 PM

That guy should consult a lawyer ASAP.
Old 05-17-2019, 2:24 PM

personally, as much as it would hurt my brain to do it, I'd strip the receiver and torch cut it into 3 pieces. I would then clean up and mount the 3 pieces on a plaque and hang it on the wall. Then I'd wait until a deal came along on an M1 receiver and put it all back together minus the select fire components. I believe even some of the select fire components are class 3, I would check that out as well.

Here's the Fulton receiver w/o rear sight

https://www.fulton-armory.com/m1-car...on-armory.aspx

Last edited by seabee1; 05-17-2019 at 2:48 PM..
Old 05-19-2019, 8:23 AM
Veteran Member

Watch that video that hermosabeach posted by Ian of Forgotten Weapons. It is a very good video that addresses your friends friends issue. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-19-2019, 8:30 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I know you can convert it with M1 parts....it is supposed to be simple, but you can’t get rid of that M2 stamp....,

I just want to get the old guy some money for it if it’s possible. Otherwise it’s getting destroyed cause it’s to much of a liability for the guy.
That would be stupid, because if it's a registered MG it's worth thousands of dollars.
Old 05-19-2019, 10:03 AM

Quote:

They had an amnesty for unregistered machine guns back in 1968. You had to fill out a form at that time and send it in to the government to legally keep them. Ian, the guy on the "Forgotten Weapons" YouTube channel discusses it in one of his videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnoSbLw_7hA

If this was not done at that time by the owner of the M2 and it was never NFA registered before that, then the owner missed his chance to make it legal.
Old 05-19-2019, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loademup View Post
They had an amnesty for unregistered machine guns back in 1968. You had to fill out a form at that time and send it in to the government to legally keep them. Ian, the guy on the "Forgotten Weapons" YouTube channel discusses it in one of his videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnoSbLw_7hA

If this was not done at that time by the owner of the M2 and it was never NFA registered before that, then the owner missed his chance to make it legal.
UK had an "amnesty" but theirs required unregistered weapons be turned in. check out the MP40 at :12