Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 10-14-2010, 10:10 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Exclamation Fresno

Fresno County CCW Policy, Guidelines and Forms can be found Here

Sheriff Mims, in this NRA video (she begins at 2 min 14 sec in), says requiring a "Good Cause" is discriminatory and unconstitutional and is a form of gun control.

UPDATE: 2014 Sept 22: the Fresno Police Dept now accepts mere "self-defense" as sufficient Good Cause acc to the info in this post: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...3#post14929693

This from the Fresno PD's website (http://www.fresno.gov/Government/Dep...s/ApplyCCW.htm) (2015 Sept 06):

GOOD CAUSE DETERMINATION
Good Cause is defined as any citizen concerned for the safety of themselves, their family and friends or their employees. An investigation will be conducted into the applicant’s statement of good cause. The determination of good cause should consider the totality of circumstances in each individual case.

Member, CRPA Board of Directors
"No one could make a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little." - Edmund Burke

Search Calguns using Google
CGN Search plugin for Firefox & IE CA Shotgun AW ID Flowchart CA Handgun AW ID Flowchart CA Senate CA Assembly Anti-2A Search Plugin

Last edited by Paladin; 09-06-2015 at 8:58 AM..
Old 10-18-2010, 3:34 PM
Banned

Well, this is gonna be fun!!
Old 10-18-2010, 3:38 PM

Want to carry in the woods? Click here.
Old 10-21-2010, 10:23 AM
Banned

Is it time for people to start applying? Is there a CGF preferred procedure or should we just document how Fresno County wants us to go through it?
Old 10-21-2010, 10:38 AM
I need a LIFE!!

We will be giving specific instructions going forward. If it doesn't come from me, Gene, Brett or Gray, it probably isn't time to move yet.

I do not read private messages, and my inbox is usually full. If you need to reach me, please email me instead.

My comments are not the official position or a statement of any organization unless stated otherwise. My comments are not legal advice; if you want or need legal advice, hire a lawyer.
Old 11-18-2010, 4:54 PM

Is there anything of substance that is proposed to be addressed by this initiative in Fresno county? I'm willing to sponsor but I don't see any way that the scope of this initiative can improve Maggie's process in a donation-effective way. Soliciting input.
Old 11-18-2010, 5:00 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Fresno's policy is illegal in a number of ways. We understand that the Sheriff also has quite a backlog and sets appointments for months out - effectively denying you a right to bear arms for self-defense and your Due Process of Law. More, I do not believe (based on the info I have) that Fresno is "shall issue", just "very liberal issue".

I do not read private messages, and my inbox is usually full. If you need to reach me, please email me instead.

My comments are not the official position or a statement of any organization unless stated otherwise. My comments are not legal advice; if you want or need legal advice, hire a lawyer.
Old 11-18-2010, 6:48 PM

I apologize for being vague. I was actually asking for detailed input as to the specific plan to reform Fresno county's CCW process.

I am already completely aware of the time frame issue, the fee issue, etc, etc.

From what we understand, these are not cost/resource effective violations to correct in the grand scheme of CCW, let alone bearing arms and due process. Hence my question.

Our research indicates that you are correct that Fresno county is not "shall issue" but it is vSI and that self defense = good cause. My query is how our situation can be substantially improved upon within the apparent limited parameters of the initiative.
Old 11-18-2010, 6:58 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Who is "our", and what "limited parameters" are you referring to? Those in our press release, or are you on our conference calls?

I think it's time you speak plainly.

Old 11-18-2010, 7:10 PM

"Our" includes myself and a number of other associates of mine. Sorry, I could have just said "my", didn't know it would come under such scrutiny.

"Limited ..." = not constitutional carry.

I thought my questions re: specific plan(s) was plainly spoken. What specific plans are there for Fresno county CCW reform?
Old 11-18-2010, 7:18 PM

BTW, how does one get on the conference call list?
Old 11-18-2010, 8:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildhawker View Post
Fresno's policy is illegal in a number of ways. We understand that the Sheriff also has quite a backlog and sets appointments for months out - effectively denying you a right to bear arms for self-defense and your Due Process of Law. More, I do not believe (based on the info I have) that Fresno is "shall issue", just "very liberal issue".
Homebrew, I added the bold for emphasis. I'm also not sure what else you're asking for. Brandon pretty clearly laid out that he knows exactly how Mims is not in compliance with State law and is effectively denying (unnecessarily delaying) the right to bear arms; also judging by the 'very liberal issue' comment there seem to be some discrepancies with the GC statement. Their very specific plan is to go through all of the illegal policies, ask them to change them, go to court if they don't.

When will they get to Fresno? As soon as the road map for coordinating the initiative for all 58 counties says it's go time.

All of that to say, yes they have a very specific plan for Fresno(where there's quite a bit of tidying up to do) and it'll happen when they get the desired results from whatever counties/lawsuits are lined up before Fresno. After Fresno, they'll move on to whatever counties remain.

Stay tuned to this thread, when they're ready to move here in Fresno, they'll definitely make some loud announcements.
Old 11-28-2010, 7:36 PM
CGSSA Rimfire Coordinator
CGN Contributor

looking forward to doing whatever i can to help, however little it may be.
Old 11-28-2010, 7:58 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterabbits View Post
looking forward to doing whatever i can to help, however little it may be.
You may have already done so but just in case you haven't, have you registered as a volunteer on the CGF website?

"No one could make a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little." - Edmund Burke

CGN Search plugin for Firefox & IE CA Shotgun AW ID Flowchart CA Handgun AW ID Flowchart CA Senate CA Assembly Anti-2A Search Plugin
Old 11-28-2010, 8:01 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrew2 View Post
BTW, how does one get on the conference call list?
Here is the answer i was given:

Quote:

Stuart Mackenzie:
Well, it's a well known fact, Sonny Jim, that there's a secret society of the five wealthiest people in the world, known as The Pentavirate, who run everything in the world, including the newspapers, and meet tri-annually at a secret country mansion in Colorado, known as The Meadows.

Tony Giardino: So who's in this Pentavirate?

Stuart Mackenzie: The Queen, The Vatican, The Gettys, The Rothschilds, *and* Colonel Sanders before he went tits up. Oh, I hated the Colonel with is wee *beady* eyes, and that smug look on his face. "Oh, you're gonna buy my chicken! Ohhhhh!"

Charlie Mackenzie: Dad, how can you hate "The Colonel"?

Stuart Mackenzie: Because he puts an addictive chemical in his chicken that makes ya crave it fortnightly, smartass!

Last edited by obeygiant; 11-28-2010 at 8:04 PM..
Old 11-28-2010, 8:41 PM
Banned

So what exactly about Sheriff Mims policy is "illegal"? Just curious since Fresno seems to be the envy of most of the rest of the state for CCW issue.
Old 11-29-2010, 8:38 PM
CGSSA Rimfire Coordinator
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by obeygiant View Post
You may have already done so but just in case you haven't, have you registered as a volunteer on the CGF website?
yes, of course.
Old 11-29-2010, 9:01 PM

As we speak i'm told its about a 6 month total time period from start to finish for your ccw.

but know the right people and its 1 month?

big county small group.

If you want to test the time frame i'll start my app. next monday and report on progress.

NRA MEMBER
Old 11-29-2010, 9:02 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.W.M.V. View Post
So what exactly about Sheriff Mims policy is "illegal"? Just curious since Fresno seems to be the envy of most of the rest of the state for CCW issue.
Contrast the information/allowable policy in our carry license flowchart/guide with Fresno's policy.

Old 11-29-2010, 9:03 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brassballs View Post
As we speak i'm told its about a 6 month total time period from start to finish for your ccw.

but know the right people and its 1 month?

big county small group.

If you want to test the time frame i'll start my app. next monday and report on progress.
Not quite yet, but soon... make sure you're signed up at www.calgunsfoundation.org/volunteer (and all your friends and family too!).

Old 01-06-2011, 3:41 PM

Sorry to be coming in a little late to the conversation here, but I'm also ready to apply for my CCW. Better to wait?
Old 01-11-2011, 10:28 AM

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by YtseJam View Post
Sorry to be coming in a little late to the conversation here, but I'm also ready to apply for my CCW. Better to wait?
I'd like to know as well .
Old 01-16-2011, 1:37 PM

I just signed up for this great site today, I'm a member at calccw. I called in for my appointment last month and am waiting till July to get in
Old 01-16-2011, 1:44 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by YtseJam View Post
The answer is - it depends.

If you want a CCW, then get your appointment set ASAP and go apply.

If you want to help reform Fresno's unlawful policy, then standby.

Old 01-16-2011, 1:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwmmatt23 View Post
I just signed up for this great site today, I'm a member at calccw. I called in for my appointment last month and am waiting till July to get in
I guess that's what happens when you have an under-budgeted department overwhelmed by requests for CCW's. Hell I know people who have moved here just to get the CCW.
Old 02-06-2011, 7:49 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

If you live in the fresno city limits you can obtain you ccw through the fresno pd. I had my first appt 2 in days rather than 6 months through the sherrifs dept. Call Ed Torres in the fresno pd ccw dept @ 559-276-6056.
Old 02-06-2011, 2:29 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn1972 View Post
If you live in the fresno city limits you can obtain you ccw through the fresno pd. I had my first appt 2 in days rather than 6 months through the sherrifs dept. Call Ed Torres in the fresno pd ccw dept @ 559-276-6056.
I'm not aware that FPD is issuing for self-defense. If they are, then it's a viable alternative. However, we strongly urge people to avoid PD's that do not issue for self-defense and apply directly to their sheriff.

Old 02-08-2011, 7:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildhawker View Post
The answer is - it depends.

If you want a CCW, then get your appointment set ASAP and go apply.

If you want to help reform Fresno's unlawful policy, then standby.
Either way will be a wait....
Old 03-08-2011, 2:57 AM

Hey everyone! Im new as you can tell and I am currently overseas and on the way back from deployment. I intend on purchasesing a hand gun and would like to get a ccw. So any help with any of my process would be much appreciated. Even direction to the correct thread in the forum is welcome. Thanks.
Old 03-08-2011, 7:36 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokee99 View Post
Hey everyone! Im new as you can tell and I am currently overseas and on the way back from deployment. I intend on purchasesing a hand gun and would like to get a ccw. So any help with any of my process would be much appreciated. Even direction to the correct thread in the forum is welcome. Thanks.
Where will you be living? We can give you more specific information if we know what county you'll be in.

Last edited by Kid Stanislaus; 03-08-2011 at 10:44 PM.. Reason: Elucidation
Old 03-09-2011, 10:08 AM

Going to pick up my handgun in 10 days! After that I'll be waiting for the green light!

Thanks again Calguns!

Want to carry in the woods? Click here.
Old 03-09-2011, 10:50 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokee99 View Post
Make sure you check the parent sub-forum of this thread, Calguns CCW Information and read through the 'Sticky' threads at the top, especially make sure you see the (CGF Request - Volunteer...) thread and sign up on www.calgunsfoundation.org/volunteer so they can contact all the volunteers in your county when they're ready to move.
Old 05-14-2011, 7:33 PM

Default Are there any fresno county CCW holders that will critique my good cause?

It is just a rough draft, but I need input on if it will be enough.
Old 05-14-2011, 9:31 PM
Banned

You don't need to write a groveling story, especially not for mims. Apply for lawfully concealing a firearm for defense of yourself and your family...and have fun with the LOOONG wait to get an interview, I'm getting reports of peoples' interviews in November/December that have applied recently. City PD has a substantially shorter time-frame if you're in the City Limits.
Old 05-14-2011, 9:43 PM

yeah thats what ive heard about mims. I think ill be ok. The wait is gonna suck soo bad
Old 05-29-2011, 3:57 PM
Calguns Addict

Default Concerns

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwmmatt23 View Post
Gee. That sounds more like 3 months than six. You must be one of those who know somebody.

It sounds to me like we may be in danger of destroying the good in pursuit of the perfect here. We work to elect a pro-gun sherif, we win, she starts issuing permits to ordinary folks with self defense as good cause, word gets around, the department is covered up with apps, and now we complain about processing time? Fresno as all Ca counties has a huge budget problem. As I write someone is deciding where to put FCSD resources. We are turning non-violent felons lose because the department does not have the money to provide space or supervision. So, do you take staff from the jail to process CCWs, do they pull detectives off murder cases to do background checks and interviews? I'll bet SF and LA counties have no backlog. We get one or two sheriffs that are trying to do the right thing and we attack them?

In the best of possible worlds no CCW would be needed. Open or concealed carry would be unrestricted. Maybe some day CalGuns will be able to bring that world into existence. I doubt it will be in my lifetime. In the mean time we need to understand who our friends are and if we can't pat them on the back, at least leave them the hell alone.

No Ca county is "shall issue" and they can't be under present law. But our sherif is doing the best she can to make Fresno as close as possible to that ideal.

That said; I have volunteered to do what I can to help, in the hope that CGF is way ahead of me and knows what it is doing. But I am going to need good reason to keep my heart in it.
To keep it you must give it

"I will talk with you no more.
I will go now, and fight you."
(Red Cloud)
Old 05-29-2011, 4:05 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by greasemonkey View Post
You don't need to write a groveling story, especially not for mims. Apply for lawfully concealing a firearm for defense of yourself and your family...and have fun with the LOOONG wait to get an interview, I'm getting reports of peoples' interviews in November/December that have applied recently. City PD has a substantially shorter time-frame if you're in the City Limits.
Last I knew the PD was "the unconnected need not apply". I live in the city but was never able to even get them to take my app. I got it through Mims in less than two months. But that was early on, before the flood gates opened.
To keep it you must give it

"I will talk with you no more.
I will go now, and fight you."
(Red Cloud)
Old 05-30-2011, 12:27 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meplat View Post
Last I knew the PD was "the unconnected need not apply". I live in the city but was never able to even get them to take my app. I got it through Mims in less than two months. But that was early on, before the flood gates opened.
This *may* just be speculation but I think City PD has realized the income potential of processing applications that they know Mims will approve anyway. They're far friendlier with issuing than they have been in the past, City PD's policy could use some work, too; but we may have an opportunity to "come alongside them" instead of let the dogs loose, so to speak.

Mims is great on her GC for issuance, it's the rest of the process in place that has some cleaning up, I'll just say they're adding extra steps for themselves that do nothing but needlessly slow the process down, which draws more resources. One thing that is disconcerting about SO is that appointments have been all over the board, people are getting wait times of 10 months, some 2 months, some of the late appointments are calling in and getting sooner appointments.

The District process you volunteered for is specifically set up to assist in a proactive, friendly approach instead of taking adverse action, because they have proven to be friendly.
Old 05-30-2011, 1:28 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Gee. That sounds more like 3 months than six. You must be one of those who know somebody.

It sounds to me like we may be in danger of destroying the good in pursuit of the perfect here. We work to elect a pro-gun sherif, we win, she starts issuing permits to ordinary folks with self defense as good cause, word gets around, the department is covered up with apps, and now we complain about processing time? Fresno as all Ca counties has a huge budget problem. As I write someone is deciding where to put FCSD resources. We are turning non-violent felons lose because the department does not have the money to provide space or supervision. So, do you take staff from the jail to process CCWs, do they pull detectives off murder cases to do background checks and interviews? I'll bet SF and LA counties have no backlog. We get one or two sheriffs that are trying to do the right thing and we attack them?

In the best of possible worlds no CCW would be needed. Open or concealed carry would be unrestricted. Maybe some day CalGuns will be able to bring that world into existence. I doubt it will be in my lifetime. In the mean time we need to understand who our friends are and if we can't pat them on the back, at least leave them the hell alone.

No Ca county is "shall issue" and they can't be under present law. But our sherif is doing the best she can to make Fresno as close as possible to that ideal.

That said; I have volunteered to do what I can to help, in the hope that CGF is way ahead of me and knows what it is doing. But I am going to need good reason to keep my heart in it.
1. I don't think you understand what Due Process means, especially in connection with enumerated fundamental rights.

2. Fresno's budget problems are not my problem. Their summary denial of rights to people waiting to [lawfully] exercise the right of self-defense [in the only manner available] is.

3. You don't understand mandates and the duties of the office of the Sheriff.

4. I'm not attacking friends. I'm attacking policies. It's unfortunate if they decide to stand with their [unconstitutional and unlawful] policies over the interests and rights of their residents.

5. I read your post as "please don't rock the boat, some of us like our positioning!"

Quote:
1. Fresno PD is actually accepting and processing fairly quickly.

2. Looks like you didn't have to endure the delays that current applicants are. Have you considered what your opinion would be if you had no permit and were staring down a ~year wait to even apply?

-Brandon

Old 05-30-2011, 12:15 PM
Veteran Member

I'm wondering, would it be lawful for the sheriff to declare "constitutional carry" in the county was allowed until they can catch up with their backlog? He'd/she'd have to get the cooperation of the city chiefs of police I'm sure.