Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Competition, Action Shooting And Training.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Competition, Action Shooting And Training. Competition, Three gun, IPSC, IDPA , and Training discussion here.

Old 04-17-2013, 7:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sargenv View Post
I guess I could make the stages require certain ammo and if match day comes and not everyone has what they need, I could take a poll the day of the match and build in options.. (say slug/buck on certain paper targets). I may build in the door again but you'd breach it with your own scattergun this time.. The Serbu was fun, but concern for stage fluidity and set up time is being taken into acct. It might come back though, we'll have to work with it.. Was having it off the clock something liked/disliked?
Having options is a good idea. Perhaps an 8.5"x11" paper target which must be hit by either a slug or two 00 buckshot pellets. Like last year's buckshot targets. Place a few at 25 yards or so (where the spread of most buckshot loads starts to get real iffy) to encourage slug shooting.

Stage guns off-the-clock is the way to go. The Serbu didn't impact fluidity that much, that I recall. Having two stages on one bay was more problematic in that regard.
Old 04-17-2013, 9:32 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wombat25 View Post
Having options is a good idea. Perhaps an 8.5"x11" paper target which must be hit by either a slug or two 00 buckshot pellets. Like last year's buckshot targets. Place a few at 25 yards or so (where the spread of most buckshot loads starts to get real iffy) to encourage slug shooting.

Stage guns off-the-clock is the way to go. The Serbu didn't impact fluidity that much, that I recall. Having two stages on one bay was more problematic in that regard.
The two stages in one bay didn't flow smoothly. Maybe combine them into one stage. Shoot slugs/buckshot first then finish up with shot.
Old 04-18-2013, 6:35 AM
Veteran Member

Yeah, that (2 stages in a bay) was a real issue.. I think with a dedicated RO, that might help things move along. The RO will be assigned to the Bay in question, so they will know all the ins/outs and how to move things along.. Lots was learned in the first iteration.. so hopefully we'll have fewer issues.

I like the idea of slug/buck targets.. Also trying to figure out some different clays presentations where choice of ammo is not so limited (in case someone forgets a slug is in the gun, that it doesn't penalize/DQ the shooter if they shoot a slug on a clay). Some sort of hanger would be useful for that.

Last edited by sargenv; 04-18-2013 at 6:39 AM..
Old 04-18-2013, 8:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesY View Post
It sucked last year that I couldn't shoot a stage or two. Maybe make sure the instructions are very clear. Other than that, I'd like to see more steel and one BIG stage.
We had an unlimited round count stage...at the practice/thrower testing session. I think all the steel from the store house were set up. 30+ or maybe 40+ steels plus flying rabbits and pigeons.
Old 04-18-2013, 8:34 AM
Veteran Member

With as much steel and stands for clay targets as we have, I think that would pretty much use up about a 1/2 case of shotshells.. add in three automatic clay throwers and we could easily shoot a case of shells all in one go.. I just picked up 45 clay target holders.. 15 each for standard, midi and mini clays.. a complete set of sillouette targets (20) and all the poppers, plates, animal targets, and of course the "egg" steel.. well, that's a whole lot of setup.. It would take a crew to knock it all down and the same crew to set it all back up..

Hmm.. could do it so that you need to shoot 1 of each type of target and then reload and shoot one more of each type of target.. three strings..

I think we easily have 10 different shapes.. probably more..
Old 04-18-2013, 1:50 PM

I've been seeing Remington and Fiocchi slugs and buckshot regularly at Big5 and other stores.

I'm new to this kind of competition, but it occurs to me that it would be nice if one stage favored the use of a tighter choke. Shooting birdshot at a small stationary target (e.g., small clay) at some distance would be one way to do that.

Another possibility would be to have a no-shoot target partially covering a birdshot target.
Old 04-18-2013, 7:59 PM
Veteran Member

Larrymod.. I have 60 mm mini clays.. I have steel targets shaped like a hen's egg.. and um, some little chickens.. Don't worry, I have lots of evil ideas..

I had a stage one time where I had "steel cowboys in a row" that you had to shoot through a 4" hole in a steel hard cover.. if you didn't stoop down just a bit, you were hitting lower and lower on the steel and you would eventually hit the "feet" of those cowboys and would not have enough punch to knock them over.. I might do something like that again..

Last edited by sargenv; 04-18-2013 at 8:02 PM..
Old 04-19-2013, 10:51 AM

Sounds fun, looking forward to it.

(Shooting at the feet of the steel cowboys would be called the "Dance, varmint!" stage...)
Old 04-19-2013, 11:19 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesY View Post
The two stages in one bay didn't flow smoothly. Maybe combine them into one stage. Shoot slugs/buckshot first then finish up with shot.
I think that if you want to combine stages in a bay, both should use the same type of shells or its going to take a while for shooters to reload their guns and reshuffle stuff on their belts.

I'm somewhat skeptical about the idea of combining stages though. Its hard enough to get a two stage bay flow even with handgun and the prep time between the stages is much faster for handguns.

If it can be done, Vince is the man to do it though
Old 04-22-2013, 9:12 PM
Veteran Member

Thank you for the vote of confidence..
Old 04-30-2013, 8:01 PM
Veteran Member

Lets get those apps in. No better way to spend the day. Prize table is shaping up too

USPSA CRO
MEMBER: USPSA, GSSF, Richmond Rod & Gun, Sunnyvale Rod & Gun

Old 05-17-2013, 5:55 PM
Veteran Member

sound off if your shooting this match

USPSA CRO

Old 05-17-2013, 9:28 PM

The bottleneck last year was terrible.
Old 05-25-2013, 4:15 PM
Veteran Member

There will not be a bottleneck like last year.. We'll have our own new bottleneck (Just kidding, trying to be funny here).

For one thing, I was trying to do too much at once..

I figure stage RO's who have already proofed the match on the 28th will find all the bugs that might cause issues on the main match day the 29th. With stage RO's there will be no question about rules, what is legal, etc..

I learned quite a bit and am in the process of making up challenging stages that do not have the issues like we had last year on our first major match.

I'm also going to allow on one stage an either/or option for slugs/buck since those items are apparently hard to come by.. I've picked up other types of targets and we'll be using the clay tossers that were seen at this year's Mystery Mountain match since they were so consistent.

It's a learning curve.. I wasn't happy with it either and I'm the MD.. so change is coming and I am planning to keep things from getting too crazy.
Old 05-28-2013, 11:55 AM

Subscribed.

Jessetischauser@gmail.com

Jesse Tischauser Facebook
Old 05-28-2013, 12:11 PM

Are there still slots open..????

Last edited by D.carden; 05-28-2013 at 2:16 PM..
Old 05-28-2013, 6:51 PM
Veteran Member

[QUOTE=D.carden;11450367]Are there still slots open..????[/QUOTE

Sure is Dan, love to see you at this one

USPSA CRO

Old 05-28-2013, 8:17 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.carden View Post
Are there still slots open..????
I'll make sure you get squadded with the German!
Old 05-29-2013, 6:45 PM

Vince
Thanks for taking this on again. I enjoyed last years match and would like to post my 2 cents.

Please 1 stage per bay - enough said
Since stage 2 is small - maybe each person could do multiple runs ( 3-5 slug on paper, stop/reload - 4-5 steel with barricade preventing slugs to hit steel.
Moving (flying, rabbits, etc) clays should be at start of stage in case of malfunction
Slugs at stage start
Lots of steel
It would be nice to mix up the distances of steel so cylinder chokes would require #4 or 5 to knock down (combine with close in flyers/runners so guys with adjustable chokes would think twice about using a tight chock)
I'd bet by Sept slugs & buck are available so might want to wait and see
Old 06-11-2013, 9:52 AM

Default Support

Hi, we met some of you at the MGM Ironman match, you were squadded with us.

Let me know if you're short of steel targets, we have plate racks, a spinner and a texas star, as well as several barricades that could be employed in your stages.

I'll see how many of us are trying to register. Is the match director open to receiving more stuff at the prize table? I can contact our friends at a well known firearms manufacturer to see if we can get a couple of shotguns to give out for prizes, t-shirts, hats, etc.
Old 06-11-2013, 1:27 PM
Calguns Addict

Is the prize table open to more prizes? Heck, yea, of course.

I will shoot you a pm.
Old 06-12-2013, 8:21 AM
Veteran Member

More prizes? Of course! There are sponsorship levels for stages and depending on how much is donated, there are slots available for sponsors..

I'm sort of taking this one by the horns and keeping stage design sort of close to the vest this year to try and make things less bottle-necky... if that were actually a word.. no stage designs yet, but there will be more thought into what we are doing this year.. at least that's my intent.. As always, the more bodies we have when building said stages, the happier the MD (me) will be
Old 06-12-2013, 4:14 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG_G View Post
Hi, we met some of you at the MGM Ironman match, you were squadded with us.

Let me know if you're short of steel targets, we have plate racks, a spinner and a texas star, as well as several barricades that could be employed in your stages.

I'll see how many of us are trying to register. Is the match director open to receiving more stuff at the prize table? I can contact our friends at a well known firearms manufacturer to see if we can get a couple of shotguns to give out for prizes, t-shirts, hats, etc.
It was nice meeting and shooting with you and the other CNGs. Hope to see you guys at this match.
Old 06-28-2013, 5:12 AM
Veteran Member

City Arms East will be a returning Sponsor for the 2013 Calif. Action Shotgun Challenge

USPSA CRO

Old 07-15-2013, 8:22 PM
Veteran Member

2 months out

USPSA CRO

Old 07-16-2013, 5:32 AM

How many stages and what's the approximate round count?

Anybody have any video from last year?

Jessetischauser@gmail.com

Jesse Tischauser Facebook
Old 07-16-2013, 6:49 AM
Veteran Member

It will be either 5 or 6 stages... Limited mostly due to having 5 bays.. since the stages are in my head presently.. I will put the round count at no more than 150 bird shot, no more than 20 slugs, and 10 buck. Last year's match came down to about 100 bird shot, 4 slugs, 7 buck.

Match video from Last year via Greg Fiddes

http://youtu.be/pkNoPuQJBBY
Old 07-23-2013, 6:56 PM

I have a few questions. Is 52 yo considered "senior?"
I am thinking of shooting in "Field" division, what was the break down last year? Does constantly reloading get "old" quick?
Old 07-23-2013, 7:18 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4E Phantom View Post
I have a few questions. Is 52 yo considered "senior?"
I am thinking of shooting in "Field" division, what was the break down last year? Does constantly reloading get "old" quick?
Sorry 52 does not get you the senior discount/

field 4
limited 48
open 9
manual 7

USPSA CRO

Old 07-23-2013, 9:10 PM
Veteran Member

Constantly reloading makes you a better reloader if you are a hunter.. where you are limited to 3 rounds when chasing game..

If you are able to go 5+1 I would in field.. Otherwise the Limited field is very deep.. Manual division is like Limited but pump only.. No one ever seems to go the painful route of Cowboy..
Old 07-24-2013, 12:41 PM

I shot Manual last year, will be shooting Field this year. More competitors in these 'handicapped' divisions would be welcome - it's like shooting revolvers or single-stack in USPSA. Just a little more challenge.

Of course, the challenge in Field is not just the 5+1 capacity limit, it's also the limitations (Section 6.3.3 of the rules) on how ammunition may be carried. I'm still thinking about how exactly I'm going to tackle this.
Old 07-25-2013, 5:02 PM

My 870 w/ no extension is okay for "field". But if I choose to use w/ 3 shot extension or Mossy 590A1 I can compete in "Manual" ?
Old 07-25-2013, 5:54 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4E Phantom View Post
My 870 w/ no extension is okay for "field". But if I choose to use w/ 3 shot extension or Mossy 590A1 I can compete in "Manual" ?
You sure can,, what load system do you plan to use?

USPSA CRO

Old 07-25-2013, 7:57 PM

I have 4 shot side saddle on 870, nothing on the Mossy. On my person, either nylon belt loops which I do not like too slow, or Tactical Tailor 6 rd molle loops, or get a few Safariland 2 shot belt loops.
Old 07-31-2013, 8:35 AM
Veteran Member

Finally found time to update the match DB.. I have 31 shooters registered.. if you want in, send in those apps.. We'll get stages posted hopefully in the next month..
Old 08-03-2013, 7:02 PM

App sent today >= 32 shooters

Last edited by LMT4ME; 08-03-2013 at 7:05 PM..
Old 08-23-2013, 11:30 AM
Veteran Member

We have about 40 shooters.. I seem to get an app every few days.. a bit more than 5 weeks out, I hope to have stages published soon. We will have aerial clays of various flavors, lots of differently shaped steel, and some interesting and possible off setting, off putting positions.. which probably won't be evident until match day.. it's hard to show strange positions when designing the stages on paper.
Old 08-28-2013, 6:26 PM

Vince
Are you acknowledging apps via email?
Old 08-28-2013, 7:19 PM
Veteran Member

I just sent details to all who are registered.. I had three bounce due to bad emails.. If you are registered and did not get an email, pm me..

Also make sure to check your spam folder.. out of 45 competitors, 42 were sent and three bounced.
Old 09-03-2013, 3:17 PM

Default Still taking App?

Vince,

I am submitting my application today. Are you still taking them?

Claudio
949-2337562