Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Competition, Action Shooting And Training.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Competition, Action Shooting And Training. Competition, Three gun, IPSC, IDPA , and Training discussion here.

Old 10-20-2009, 7:30 AM

Lawaia, SuperSet -- great AAR and pics, guys. Love that shot of Bill's muzzle flash!
Old 10-20-2009, 12:34 PM

The only video I took:

Last edited by lawaia; 10-20-2009 at 12:37 PM..
Old 10-20-2009, 4:39 PM

Very cool! Hope to get into one of the upcoming Carbine courses.
Old 10-21-2009, 8:16 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Some video from the class -

Compendium:

Barricade Course 1:
Old 10-22-2009, 9:37 AM

Great AARs & great class, wish I could have made it.

Superset, great edits as always! I'm still looking forward to taking a class with you to get the great videos afterwards! LOL

I really like taking video of matches/etc because you can go back and self-critique. Especially when you've got the pressure of being on the clock, it's often hard to discern whether you're doing things the way you intended or were taught to do.

FWIW, one observation from the Barricade video on the use of "reverse kneel" position when attaching to the barricade (i.e. when you place your inside knee on the deck and raise up the outside knee). A couple guys used this technique. Contrast it with the technique used by the last shooter who had the outside knee on the deck and the inside knee raised up.

To me, this is a "trade off" type of technique -- with the reverse kneel you are trading off a more exposed position (i.e. exposing your outside leg and maybe even the femoral artery!, and flagging your barrel/foreend) for a better shooting platform (i.e. foreend supported against the barricade and firing elbow on your outside knee). Contrast with a regular kneel where you are less exposed because you have the outside knee down, but then you don't have a place to support your firing elbow. And the last variant on the technique that some will teach is NOT to attach to the barricade -- i.e. stand off/back from the barricade/cover so you don't flag your barrel/etc. That would be the opposite trade off where you are minimizing your exposure & visibility to the enemy but you have the least supported shooting platform since you're basically shooting off-hand. So my view is that there is no single answer, you need to make a conscious decision about which is the most appropriate type of shooting position to take for the task at hand -- it might not always be the same choice depending on the situation/distance to threat/etc.

Anyway, sorry about the tangent. My observation is just that if you guys watch your video, some chose to use the reverse kneel position -- but you might not have realized that sometimes you didn't actually support your elbow on your outside knee, which you can see in the video. So in that case you've put yourself in a more exposed position but then didn't avail yourself of the advantage of the position by supporting your elbow.

I've noticed the exact same thing myself reviewing my own video. This is why I love watching video afterwards, you can pick up things like this!
Old 10-22-2009, 4:57 PM
Vendor/Retailer

So, you're saying that there's more than one way to skin a cat? Most definitely. One of the reasons for going to class is to learn different techniques so you can test them yourself, in different situations.
BTW, I just realized another advantage of using barricade support instead of just shooting completely offhand. You will always know when your muzzle is clear of the barricade, otherwise you'll get some unintended, instant 'feedback' that you're not clear of the barricade. And besides, who wants to look like a retard after shooting a barricade? Oh wait..
Old 10-22-2009, 6:13 PM

Stay away from my cat!

It might be possible that in another class there may have been a certain barricade that had more holes in it after I was introduced to it than beforehand... Not sure how that could have possibly happened...

I solve the problem by looking like a retard all the time, so no one can tell when I make mistakes.
Old 10-22-2009, 6:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSet View Post
And besides, who wants to look like a retard after shooting a barricade? Oh wait..
Come on! Who would be retarded enough to actually shoot a barricade?
Old 10-23-2009, 7:30 AM

If I recall correctly, those were brand-new, virgin barricades before we got there.
Old 10-23-2009, 7:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowprofile View Post
If I recall correctly, those were brand-new, virgin barricades before we got there.
I refuse to believe that!
Old 10-23-2009, 7:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowprofile View Post

"Unlimited power is apt to corrupt the minds of those who possess it; and this I know, my lords, that where laws end, tyranny begins."

“Anyone who trades liberty for security deserves neither liberty nor security”

“Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms (of government) those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny”
Old 12-08-2009, 8:09 PM

Badicedog,
Are you organizing the training course with Black water ? I want more info .
THX !
Old 12-08-2009, 11:33 PM
Veteran Member

I helped coordinate the course with Calguns. Col. Bill Go deserves all the credit. You can contact him directly. I will be attending another course early next year.
Old 12-09-2009, 9:32 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

That looked incredible, will definitely look out for the next!