Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 05-08-2012, 12:21 PM

Mark in Spring Valley here...Hornady LnL progressive and RCBS RC single stage presses to load .45, .38/.357, .44spl/.44 mag, 5.56 and 7.62. Additionally I have most of the neat gadgets that go with and several load manuals to look through. I placed my reloading equipment order the day the Governator signed AB 962...which I must thank him for as I really enjoy reloading.
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Earl Jones
The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose.
Old 05-08-2012, 1:27 PM

Chad in Carlsbad here. I reload on a LNL progressive for .45, 5.56, 7.62 and 30-30. I have a few years on the Hornady and have a bunch of little parts and pieces if it ever would help anyone out.
Old 05-08-2012, 1:52 PM

Default brass?

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamatrnr View Post
Which of you Ramona guys could use some once-fired .45 acp brass? Got a few hundred and don't reload...
I'm not in Ramona, but I could use the 45acp brass!!

Let me know if you still have it/want it gone....

Thanks....Steve
Old 05-08-2012, 1:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDRoX View Post
For powder, I agree, you don't want to buy a lot until you know what you'll like.
La Mesa Collectibles, El Cajon Gun Exchange, Discount Gun mart, Project 2K, and Turner's all sell powder by the pound.

For 9mm W231, WST, WSF, and Unique are great powders.
My favorite for 223 is TAC.
Which Discount sells powder/primers etc?

Steve
Old 05-08-2012, 2:55 PM
Veteran Member

Xd I'm game...

Ken from Chula Vista. 9mm, 38spl, 357mag, 40s&w, 45acp, .223rem, 7.62x39mm, and 12 gauge. Basic calibers. Don't have 40s&w and 45acp pistols but do reload for a relative and a friend for those caliber. Single stage press and simple equipment. KISS and low volume reloader here.
Old 05-08-2012, 3:35 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjg1966 View Post
Which Discount sells powder/primers etc?

Steve
The one on Marina.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanbob View Post
Get a DILLON...
Old 05-08-2012, 8:16 PM

Justin, La Mesa. What I load is in my sig. A met up would be cool, maybe a range trip?
Old 05-08-2012, 8:20 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL_NinO619 View Post
Justin, La Mesa. What I load is in my sig. A met up would be cool, maybe a range trip?
Where is this sig you speak of?

It's ok if I fuc with el niƱo, he's my neighbor

Quote:
Get a DILLON...
Old 05-08-2012, 9:44 PM

Is my sig no longer there. I'm on the iPad. I load on 2 LnL's with bullet and case feeder. LnL SS & Lee SS trim with a Dillion power trimmer and two older brothers that do my prep work, na na na xdrox ( it's okay I can rub it in,he's my neighbor) .9mm .45acp. .223, .308, 7.62x54, 30-06, .475 Wildey Magnum. 12g.
Old 05-08-2012, 9:54 PM
Veteran Member

Peter, I'm in downtown/little Italy. I reload .223, 9mm, .44mag/special, .45acp, .357/.38, on a Lee press. I would be in for a meet/shoot.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luchador768 View Post
Peter, I'm in downtown/little Italy. I reload .223, 9mm, .44mag/special, .45acp, .357/.38, on a Lee press. I would be in for a meet/shoot.
Sweet! Now I got a neighbor! You're probably not far from me, I'm just on Banker's Hill.
Old 05-09-2012, 4:31 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by morrow View Post
Sweet! Now I got a neighbor! You're probably not far from me, I'm just on Banker's Hill.
Nice! I'm on Union St and Redwood.
Old 05-10-2012, 3:10 PM
Veteran Member

Default BTT for a pending proposal

Have a bulk-buy idea for the SD reloaders here-more tonight when I have a little more time.
Old 05-10-2012, 4:18 PM
Calguns Addict

Randy in La Jolla. I have been reloading since the mid 70's. I use a Dillon 650 progressive for 38 Special, 9 mm, .45 ACP, .223, 30-30, .308, 30-06. I use a Redding Ultramag for precision loads in 6mmBR and .300 Win Mag. I use a Hornady 366 progressive press for 12 guage. I like the idea of group buys on powder, primers and bullets.
Old 05-10-2012, 9:29 PM
Veteran Member

I got caught up in some family activities tonight, so I didn't have the time to hash this out very well, but here is what I was thinking.

The Del Mar gun show is coming up in a week, and from what I read, it's a good opportunity to stock up on loading supplies. The usual complaint is the added cost of admission and parking.

What if we organized a group excursion/group buy? If we could get a group going in one vehicle for a bulk buy, we could cut the cost. I have the vehicle-a one ton crew cab truck that can haul 6 adults and up to a ton of materials. We could identify a meeting place to group up and go in one vehicle to shave the parking costs, and "platoon" the purchases among the group. Once loaded up, we can move off site to divvy up the buy and settle up the bill.

I'm just getting started in the reloading endeavor, and here is my shopping list:
small pistol primers
large pistol primers
powder
bullets: .45 acp/long colt, 40 s&w,
cleaning media/polish
Anybody else interested in joining up? If so, list your preferred day to go, and your shopping list.
Old 05-10-2012, 9:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofbak View Post
I got caught up in some family activities tonight, so I didn't have the time to hash this out very well, but here is what I was thinking.

The Del Mar gun show is coming up in a week, and from what I read, it's a good opportunity to stock up on loading supplies. The usual complaint is the added cost of admission and parking.

What if we organized a group excursion/group buy? If we could get a group going in one vehicle for a bulk buy, we could cut the cost. I have the vehicle-a one ton crew cab truck that can haul 6 adults and up to a ton of materials. We could identify a meeting place to group up and go in one vehicle to shave the parking costs, and "platoon" the purchases among the group. Once loaded up, we can move off site to divvy up the buy and settle up the bill.

I'm just getting started in the reloading endeavor, and here is my shopping list:
small pistol primers
large pistol primers
powder
cleaning media/polish
Anybody else interested in joining up? If so, list your preferred day to go, and your shopping list.
Hi Jerry. I also live in 4S ranch. I have 550B dillon and Lee single stage.
I'm reloading 45acp, 7mm mag, 30-60, 223, 30-30. It would be nice to join to go to Delmar.
Old 05-10-2012, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofbak View Post

small pistol primers
large pistol primers
powder
cleaning media/polish
This sounds good to me. The only day I can go is Sunday though.

I'm looking for .380, .40 & .308 bullets, powder, large rifle & small pistol primers.

Are there any vendors that discount if you buy in bulk?
Old 05-11-2012, 5:00 AM

Been watching this thread and I guess I'll jump in. Valley Center and I have a cave with a Rock Chucker (vintage), Lee Cast Turret, 9mm, 38/357, 41mag, 45acp, 44spl/44mag, 500S&W, 223, 50Beowulf and a bunch of Mec stuff for 20ga, 12ga, enough cals for now...

Last edited by Cheep; 05-13-2012 at 6:21 AM..
Old 05-11-2012, 6:51 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I'll chime in here. I'm in the Clairemont/Linda Vista area of SD and I load 9, 40, 45acp, 357sig, 10mm, 223 and 308 as of this moment.

I have a dillon 650 and Super 1050 to load from. Once I iron out the details, I'll be providing 223 and 308 brass processing for those of you who would rather not spend the time cleaning, trimming and resizing your brass.

I do NOT offer any loading services.
Old 05-11-2012, 10:28 AM

im in chula vista load 45acp on my brothers lee classic turret, just orderd a loadmaster today for 9mm and orderd 45acp dies and everything else i need for it.....where is a good place to get bullets, primers, and powder that isnt too expensive in the sd area?
Old 05-11-2012, 10:50 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd_fox_racer View Post
im in chula vista load 45acp on my brothers lee classic turret, just orderd a loadmaster today for 9mm and orderd 45acp dies and everything else i need for it.....where is a good place to get bullets, primers, and powder that isnt too expensive in the sd area?
There's no such place. Powder Valley, Wideners, and Graf's are my 3 favorite places to order from.

Quote:
Get a DILLON...
Old 05-11-2012, 11:26 AM

Quote:
About the best place for all that is La Mesa Collectibles in El Cajon...almost Santee off the 67. Kinda pricey, but best bet for small quantities of powder or primers as you won't have to pay the Haz shipping fee. Good, helpful folks willing to take the time and chat, decent assortment of dies and presses. They may not have every item you want, but will likely have a suitable substitute. El Cajon Gun Exchange is expensive and I've run into attitude in the past...stopped going there about two years ago. P2K range will occasionally have various stuff, but they've usually been out of what I've needed. I've not been in since they upgraded the storefront, so there may be more choices now. Turner's will have some stuff, but they aren't as complete as LMC IMHO.
Quote:
The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose.
Old 05-11-2012, 9:50 PM

Hi, I'm in Spring Valley/Rancho San Diego. I've been loading for just about a year. I'm currently loading .40 and 45 ACP. I'm using a Dillon XL650. I will soon be reloading 223 as soon as my order comes in from Dillon.
Old 05-12-2012, 2:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyathyrio View Post
About the best place for all that is La Mesa Collectibles in El Cajon
went there today and thanks.....that place had everything i wanted and more.....a little more pricey but not by much, good people there too. going to be my go to store for reloading for sure. and they have a 10% off all ammo in stock sale right now too
Old 05-12-2012, 4:17 PM

Any of the Ramona reloaded willing to help a newbie out a bit? I already have my setup, just want some guidance from a more seasoned reloader. There's a six pack in it for you. PM me.
Old 05-12-2012, 9:03 PM

Glad to help, Fox.
Quote:
Old 05-13-2012, 6:55 AM
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laser Sailor View Post
Any of the Ramona reloaded willing to help a newbie out a bit? I already have my setup, just want some guidance from a more seasoned reloader. There's a six pack in it for you. PM me.
What setup? I have the Lee Classic Turret & I'm really only familiar with pistol ammo. Loading rifle ammo is a whole 'nother kettle o' fish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackRydden224
I hope Ruger pays the extortion fees for the SR1911. I mean the gun is just as good if not better than a Les Baer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliff View Post
A Colt collector shooting Rugers is like Hugh Grant cheating on Elizabeth Hurley with a hooker.
Old 05-13-2012, 7:52 AM

Im new to this too. Was thinking about having a get together at my work on a Saturday (after hours) and have someone show me/us how to do it properly.
Old 05-13-2012, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishslayer View Post
What setup? I have the Lee Classic Turret & I'm really only familiar with pistol ammo. Loading rifle ammo is a whole 'nother kettle o' fish.
I'm using a lee classic turret, but I've pulled the indexing rod for now so it's a single stage.

I'd like to look into getting the perfect powder measure and use the turret press as intended.
Old 05-13-2012, 1:43 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laser Sailor View Post
I'd be happy to drive up and show you whatever you need to know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikertrash View Post
Im new to this too. Was thinking about having a get together at my work on a Saturday (after hours) and have someone show me/us how to do it properly.
I'd be happy to hold a lesson at your work. Is there a place to set up a couple presses? I have at least one single stage and a turret that I could bring.

As long as its around 5 guys they could all get hands on experience. I'll even drag El_Nino619 with me.

Quote:
Get a DILLON...
Old 05-13-2012, 5:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikertrash View Post
id be intrested in this im getting my loadmaster in on thursday going to need some help setting it up.
Old 05-14-2012, 12:29 AM

Default +1

Quote:
id be intrested in this im getting my loadmaster in on thursday going to need some help setting it up.
Me too.....

Steve
Old 05-14-2012, 7:03 AM

I'm sure we can find a couple options to mount presses. I'll run it past the boss and make sure he's cool with it. Shouldnt have a problem. Next weekend is the Del Mar gun show. Will that cause a problem?
Old 05-14-2012, 9:09 AM

forgot about the the gun show im out also forgot the inlaws are having a bbq this weekend x2
Old 05-14-2012, 8:43 PM

chula vista resident, using a lee classic turret in .45acp and will be getting a .22-250 setup soon.
Old 05-19-2012, 8:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyathyrio View Post
About the best place for all that is La Mesa Collectibles in El Cajon...almost Santee off the 67.
I will second this, Im a noob to loading and just started picking up my gear.. Stopped in to check these guys out last year and they are more then cool..

nice guys, helpful and more then happy to shoot the breeze with you whether your a noob or a vet..

They also had the kind of obscure stuff (bullets) you'd come across at a gunshow or what not..

Sure some of the equipment might be pricey but I believe there a business worth dropping in and picking something up from time to time if price is a deal killer..

To me its important to support shops like these because you miss places like it when they're gone and there's nothing worse then the shops with a pi$$ poor attitude..

Last edited by shooter5; 05-19-2012 at 8:44 PM..
Old 05-20-2012, 1:58 PM

Chris from Mira Mesa. I just completed the reloading class at La Mesa Collectibles yesterday. I don't have equipment yet but looking at buying everything soon. I'd like to start reloading for 7.62x39, 7.62x51 and possibly 9mm.

I've been looking around and seems 7.62x39 brass is hard to find. Everything I have currently is steel cased berdan
Old 05-21-2012, 7:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabitz View Post
Chris from Mira Mesa. I just completed the reloading class at La Mesa Collectibles yesterday. I don't have equipment yet but looking at buying everything soon. I'd like to start reloading for 7.62x39, 7.62x51 and possibly 9mm.

I've been looking around and seems 7.62x39 brass is hard to find. Everything I have currently is steel cased berdan
My buddy and I were wondering if anyone else in Saturday's class was a calgunner. I think I learned more about buffalo in that class than about reloading.
Old 05-21-2012, 9:41 PM
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabitz View Post
I gave some thought to reloading x39. While boxer primed brass isn't impossible to find it is pricey. My guns that shoot x39 toss the brass so far forward of the line I would only get about 30% of it back unless I was shooting someplace I could police in front of the line.

CZ makes a bolt gun in x39...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackRydden224
I hope Ruger pays the extortion fees for the SR1911. I mean the gun is just as good if not better than a Les Baer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliff View Post
A Colt collector shooting Rugers is like Hugh Grant cheating on Elizabeth Hurley with a hooker.
Old 07-31-2012, 4:42 PM
Veteran Member

Any SD reloaders planning a powder/primer purchase in the near future. I'm running low on primers and looking to tack onto another order to save some on hazmat fees.

Why didn't any of you experienced guys tell me that 1000 primers wouldn't be enough?