Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Northern California Chapters > San Jose Chapter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2015, 2:10 PM

Default Newbie Metcalf Trip Report

Hi Everyone, just thought I type up my first experience to share.

I am a newbie to AR 15 and have never been to an outdoor range prior to this trip. I've done a little bit of research on Metcalf Field Sports so I knew a couple things; range price ($15), bring your own ammo, no ATMs on site (cash only), bring your own eye/ear protection. Decided to try this out on a Saturday afternoon at 2pm and here is my experience. I've never shot an AR15 before, but have done a decent amount of research on it, building my own lower, choosing my own parts. Purchased a complete upper (Daniel Defense DDM4V7)

Easy to find using Google maps. They have 2 range areas (one for shotgun/clay shooting and one for pistol/rifle). Signs were clearly marked and I was guided to the pistol/rifle lot. Parking lot was full, but managed to find a spot on the road next to the parking lot (next to picnic tables). Since this is an outdoor range, you can hear the shots within the parking lot. I pulled out my ear protection and had it around my head as I walked into the office. There were about 5 individuals working at the time (2 on the range, 2 at desk, and 1 standing in front of the desk giving instructions as far as I can tell. Walked up and told the them this is my first time and asked for a run down. Person I spoke to gave me a quick run down (here is the 50 yard range, here is the 100 yard range, $15 per lane). He asked what if I wanted the 5 or 100 yard. Being the newbie that I am, I said 100 yards (because I read that is the typical distance on sighting). I paid and was directed to the range master standing in front of the desk, who proceeded to give me a brief but clear run down of how the range works:

- 15 min intervals (shoot for 15 mins, then cease fire for targets)
- stand behind a red line during cease fire and do not approach the bench for any reason
- communal stables on either side of the range, used to put up your targets
- communal spotting scopes (about 4 or 5 that I counted) to check your shots
- rules on pointing down range, leaving firearms at the bench during cease fire and how to transport firearms to and from the shooting bench.

He led me to my lane and that's where I felt I made my first mistakes and here's why.

-I had NOT IDEA how far 100 yard really is! I couldn't go back for a 50 yarder because when I originally said 100 yard at the desk, the response was "good because that's the only lane I have open"
-Everyone in the 100 yard lane seem to have a magnified scope. (my assumption because of the length of scopes I saw). I'm using Magpul MBUS backup sights. I definitely felt like I was out of place.

Range master told me my lane number (21). I got there during cease fire, so he pointed to the staplers hanging on the post for me to use for putting up targets. Also told me where the sand bags were if I wanted to use them when shooting. Very helpful!

I put up my target and when cease fire was called off, I sat at the bench and began loading the one magazine I have. This is the first time I'm loading it and the only reason how I knew how to load it was from the reading and youtube vids I watched. Inserted the magazine firmly, brought the rifle up and....the magazine fell out =) I've read that you're suppose to give it a firm slap, but I really didn't know how firm. It's gotta happen at least once right? Anyway, SLAPPED the magazine in, pulled the charging handle, did my best to line up my sights, pulled trigger....click! No shot. Up this point I was feeling pretty embarrassed, what with the mag falling out and now my rifle won't shoot. I don't know if anyone was watching, but I REALLY hoped no one noticed. Hit the bullet button, pulled and set the BCG (Bolt Carrier Group) in the "back" position. Saw a found in the chamber and tilted the AR back so the round would fall out. Visually checked to the chamber and didn't see anything wrong (I'm not expert). SLAPPED the mag back in and hit the bolt catch. I hear and feel the audible CHUNK sound as the BCG falls into place (I love that sound). Lined up and pulled the trigger....Pop! My first shot! I was surprised at how light the recoil is on an AR. I shot a few more times before I cleaned out the bore. I continue to do this (shoot, clean, shoot, clean) for about 100 rounds, while checking my shots and attempting to adjust my sites. Gentlemen on my right even gave me a pointer on where my shots are landing. I shot for about an hour before packing up.

Overall, I had a great time. My first experience was pretty fantastic. I had a slow start, but took my time to figure things out. The Range Masters at Metcalf was professional, communicated clearly on range rules and professional. I look forward to going back in the next couple weeks! The only thing I would've done differently was to go there earlier, maybe right when they opened.

Hope this was helpful to some of the other newbies out there and maybe even gave some vets a chuckle on my mistakes.

-WW
Old 01-10-2015, 2:39 PM

Glad you had a good time!
Now go buy more ammo and repeat.
Old 01-10-2015, 3:50 PM

Hey man, we were all newbs at one time. Metcalf is a great place. Gets pretty hot in the summer! Welcome to the world of AR's. Keep on practicing!
Old 01-10-2015, 5:21 PM

Sweet. I will have to check that place out.
Old 01-10-2015, 5:41 PM
Veteran Member

Glad you had a good day! The Metcalf guys will occasionally catch some flack on these forums, but IMHO for completely unjustified reasons. They're all there to keep you safe, and to make darn sure go home with as many holes as you came. I haven't run into a nicer more professional set of range officers anywhere.

Ok if I pass on a couple pointers?
-next time you pull the trigger and it just goes 'click' with no boom, don't move. Keep the gun pointed down range and on target, and keep it firmly shouldered, expecting it to go boom any second... count to 30, and only then carefully clear it like you did. "Hang fires" don't happen often, but they DO happen. A hang fire is when the powder is burning, but it doesn't burn as fast or when you expect it to. Waiting 30 seconds is the safest way to ensure the thing doesn't go off when you're not pointing at your target, or in your face as you're clearing it from the gun.

-"squibs" also happen. This is different from a hang fire in that you'll hear and feel a 'pop' instead of a 'boom' or 'click'. If it goes pop, or if it feels weird at all, its possible the primer went off but the powder didnt and therefore the bullet didn't have enough oomph to push all the way out the barrel. If you were to fire the next round without clearing the bullet from the barrel... well you'll get way more than a 'boom' and you can get really badly hurt. Stop what you're doing and inspect and if you're unsure even a little bit, ask one of those friendly Metcalf range officers for help. Remember their goal... they'll bend over backwards to help you, especially in situations like this.

-Metcalf gets slammed on the weekends, but mornings are generally better. If you get there when they open, you'll see a line waiting. Those guys are usually with a group or club and are there to make sure they take the far left 100yrd benches together. No problem for you since you want a 50yrd.

-When you get comfortable, head to the far far left and shoot some steel! You probably didn't notice it but there's an area down there for standing/kneeling/laying down (prone) and a steel stand 100yrds down range to shoot at. There are range supplied plates, but often they get shot down and stay down until someone (like you) rehangs them. Ask the range officers for wire; they'll gladly hand you some. If you do this, bring and WEAR GLOVES! Those plates will slice your hands to shreds, so be careful. Or, bring your own steel! That's perfectly ok to, just keep in mind the unwritten rule is that if you put it up, anyone can shoot at it. So if you don't want that, leave your targets at home. But either way, hearing that steel thump and watching it swing is a whole 'nuther level of fun!

-when you get really REALLY comfortable and start looking for new challenges, stop by the 200yrd range (as you're driving in its on top of the little hill and on the left just before heading down to the main range, right between the shotgun and main rifle/pistol range) one first-Saturday-of-any-month, and join the Zouaves High Power shooting club (http://www.zouaves.org/). The 1st Saturday is when all newbies are welcome, and when their beginner clinics are run. You'll be welcome with open arms and be 'on the line' shooting at 200 yard, 300 and 600 yard simulated distance targets in no time.

Hope all that helps! And welcome to the addiction

Last edited by BigJ; 01-10-2015 at 6:04 PM..
Old 01-10-2015, 5:48 PM

My first time shooting was at Metcalf as well.

Why are you cleaning it so often? I mean if it's personal preference then that's you but man I usually don't clean it until after around 1500-2000 rounds. It should be fine lol.
Old 01-10-2015, 7:45 PM

Shot there three times. Only things that I can complain about is that they definitely are strict on slow fire, and that (although I understand why) it annoys me that you can't use silhouette targets. Well, that and the staplers seem to be more failure-prone than the average rental handgun.

On the rifle side, is there room to shoot standing? Seems to me like the bench design (as eyeballed from the handgun side) would make it very uncomfortable.
Old 01-10-2015, 7:51 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by essjay View Post
Shot there three times. Only things that I can complain about is that they definitely are strict on slow fire, and that (although I understand why) it annoys me that you can't use silhouette targets.
Both are rules enforced on them by the county council. We all know how pencil pushers can be, especially in this neck of the woods...
Quote:
On the rifle side, is there room to shoot standing? Seems to me like the bench design (as eyeballed from the handgun side) would make it very uncomfortable.
Most (not all) of the benches have height adjustable, and removable seats. If you wanted to stand while shooting at your bench, pull the seat up out and set it aside and straddle the remaining square bar of the bench frame (maybe 2" wide?). Very comfortable to shoot standing at the bench that way.

And if you don't want to mess with the bench, head down to the far left and shoot at the steel standing with nothing between your legs. Just keep your muzzle forward of the plastic chain / safety line that they've got out there.
Old 01-10-2015, 8:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJ View Post
Glad you had a good day! The Metcalf guys will occasionally catch some flack on these forums, but IMHO for completely unjustified reasons. They're all there to keep you safe, and to make darn sure go home with as many holes as you came. I haven't run into a nicer more professional set of range officers anywhere.

Ok if I pass on a couple pointers?
-next time you pull the trigger and it just goes 'click' with no boom, don't move. Keep the gun pointed down range and on target, and keep it firmly shouldered, expecting it to go boom any second... count to 30, and only then carefully clear it like you did. "Hang fires" don't happen often, but they DO happen. A hang fire is when the powder is burning, but it doesn't burn as fast or when you expect it to. Waiting 30 seconds is the safest way to ensure the thing doesn't go off when you're not pointing at your target, or in your face as you're clearing it from the gun.

-"squibs" also happen. This is different from a hang fire in that you'll hear and feel a 'pop' instead of a 'boom' or 'click'. If it goes pop, or if it feels weird at all, its possible the primer went off but the powder didnt and therefore the bullet didn't have enough oomph to push all the way out the barrel. If you were to fire the next round without clearing the bullet from the barrel... well you'll get way more than a 'boom' and you can get really badly hurt. Stop what you're doing and inspect and if you're unsure even a little bit, ask one of those friendly Metcalf range officers for help. Remember their goal... they'll bend over backwards to help you, especially in situations like this.

-Metcalf gets slammed on the weekends, but mornings are generally better. If you get there when they open, you'll see a line waiting. Those guys are usually with a group or club and are there to make sure they take the far left 100yrd benches together. No problem for you since you want a 50yrd.

-When you get comfortable, head to the far far left and shoot some steel! You probably didn't notice it but there's an area down there for standing/kneeling/laying down (prone) and a steel stand 100yrds down range to shoot at. There are range supplied plates, but often they get shot down and stay down until someone (like you) rehangs them. Ask the range officers for wire; they'll gladly hand you some. If you do this, bring and WEAR GLOVES! Those plates will slice your hands to shreds, so be careful. Or, bring your own steel! That's perfectly ok to, just keep in mind the unwritten rule is that if you put it up, anyone can shoot at it. So if you don't want that, leave your targets at home. But either way, hearing that steel thump and watching it swing is a whole 'nuther level of fun!

-when you get really REALLY comfortable and start looking for new challenges, stop by the 200yrd range (as you're driving in its on top of the little hill and on the left just before heading down to the main range, right between the shotgun and main rifle/pistol range) one first-Saturday-of-any-month, and join the Zouaves High Power shooting club (http://www.zouaves.org/). The 1st Saturday is when all newbies are welcome, and when their beginner clinics are run. You'll be welcome with open arms and be 'on the line' shooting at 200 yard, 300 and 600 yard simulated distance targets in no time.

Hope all that helps! And welcome to the addiction
"Hang fires", thanks for the pointer. I didn't know that can happen. I have allot to learn. Good suggestions, Thank you!
Old 01-10-2015, 8:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPun762 View Post
My first time shooting was at Metcalf as well.

Why are you cleaning it so often? I mean if it's personal preference then that's you but man I usually don't clean it until after around 1500-2000 rounds. It should be fine lol.
I shot and cleaned often on this first trip because it's was a brand new rifle. I didn't research this fully, but there is a process of breaking in new rifles. Something about lubing and clearing out fibers for the first 100 or so rounds, which is suppose to give the barrel a longer life with consistent accuracy. I don't know that I believe this, but I felt it couldn't hurt it....or could it?
Old 01-10-2015, 8:41 PM
Calguns Addict

I shoot standing all the time there. The steels are of course a no brainer, and you can bring your neighbors OBAMA yard sign as a target backer there if you can't get a lane (of course you have to put a std target on it).

For 50 yards standing or 100 yards under the eaves, no issue either. Though for 50 yard standing, I TRY to get lane 5 or 10 so I can stand forward of the bench rather than behind it.

But its not really needed.

Metcalf is the best public range in the bay area.

edit: IF you ever see me there shooting AR-15 stuff, it will be an M16A1 lookalike, complete with irons only. At 100 yards. Don't feel out of place with irons at 100. use 'em while your eyes are still good.

Last edited by Whiterabbit; 01-10-2015 at 8:43 PM..
Old 01-10-2015, 8:44 PM
Calguns Addict

oh, and 3 posts, I see. Welcome to Calguns.
Old 01-10-2015, 9:03 PM

Quote:
We all know how pencil pushers can be, especially in this neck of the woods...
Oh, rest assured, I know.

Quote:
Most (not all) of the benches have height adjustable, and removable seats. If you wanted to stand while shooting at your bench, pull the seat up out and set it aside and straddle the remaining square bar of the bench frame (maybe 2" wide?). Very comfortable to shoot standing at the bench that way.

And if you don't want to mess with the bench, head down to the far left and shoot at the steel standing with nothing between your legs. Just keep your muzzle forward of the plastic chain / safety line that they've got out there.
Thanks for the info. I'd seen the ones way down at the end that were open, but didn't realize that those were for steel targets. The only rifle range I've been to recently (Manteca Sportsmen) had a totally different style bench rest, with room on the sides for standing. Since everyone at Metcalf (with the exception of the people down at the end was shooting down at the end) was shooting benched when I was there, I had no idea that they were removable. Definitely will be taking my tax refund-funded AR out there soon enough.
Old 01-10-2015, 9:26 PM

Metcalf is a great safe range. Enjoy it during winter because summer is hot there, Never had any problems at Metcalf, Targetmasters can be scary with first time shooters with rental guns and no supervision... Your cleaning your gun way to much!!! I used to clean my guns after every range trip but lately I've been cleaning 1/4 trips and my guns are 100% reliable.
Clean your gun less!! Order ammo online from sgammo.com or freedommunnitions.com Next time try shooting at the steel off a sandbag from lanes 24 overto the end So much fun getting 10 for 10 shots ringing the steel.
Old 01-10-2015, 9:29 PM
Calguns Addict

Sounds like playing duck hunt 3 feet from the TV to me.

at least sit on the ground and put your elbows on your knees! Doesn't need the coveted lane 24 position either
Old 01-10-2015, 10:19 PM

It's a very good place to shoot! Staff is great! Not to mention that there's a hot brunette that works there now. went there last Saturday and I couldn't stop staring at her. Oh yea the range is also nice.
Old 01-11-2015, 7:13 PM

I shot there this morning for the first time. Well ran and great atmosphere, everyone from staff to shooters were all friendly. Definitely going to try the steel targets next.

Welcome to Calguns and to AR15!

And yes, the brunette is easy on the eyes. Her edc knife was bigger than mine, which made her even hotter!
Old 01-22-2015, 4:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishywashy View Post
Hi Everyone, just thought I type up my first experience to share.

I am a newbie to AR 15 and have never been to an outdoor range prior to this trip. I've done a little bit of research on Metcalf Field Sports so I knew a couple things; range price ($15), bring your own ammo, no ATMs on site (cash only), bring your own eye/ear protection. Decided to try this out on a Saturday afternoon at 2pm and here is my experience. I've never shot an AR15 before, but have done a decent amount of research on it, building my own lower, choosing my own parts. Purchased a complete upper (Daniel Defense DDM4V7)

Easy to find using Google maps. They have 2 range areas (one for shotgun/clay shooting and one for pistol/rifle). Signs were clearly marked and I was guided to the pistol/rifle lot. Parking lot was full, but managed to find a spot on the road next to the parking lot (next to picnic tables). Since this is an outdoor range, you can hear the shots within the parking lot. I pulled out my ear protection and had it around my head as I walked into the office. There were about 5 individuals working at the time (2 on the range, 2 at desk, and 1 standing in front of the desk giving instructions as far as I can tell. Walked up and told the them this is my first time and asked for a run down. Person I spoke to gave me a quick run down (here is the 50 yard range, here is the 100 yard range, $15 per lane). He asked what if I wanted the 5 or 100 yard. Being the newbie that I am, I said 100 yards (because I read that is the typical distance on sighting). I paid and was directed to the range master standing in front of the desk, who proceeded to give me a brief but clear run down of how the range works:

- 15 min intervals (shoot for 15 mins, then cease fire for targets)
- stand behind a red line during cease fire and do not approach the bench for any reason
- communal stables on either side of the range, used to put up your targets
- communal spotting scopes (about 4 or 5 that I counted) to check your shots
- rules on pointing down range, leaving firearms at the bench during cease fire and how to transport firearms to and from the shooting bench.

He led me to my lane and that's where I felt I made my first mistakes and here's why.

-I had NOT IDEA how far 100 yard really is! I couldn't go back for a 50 yarder because when I originally said 100 yard at the desk, the response was "good because that's the only lane I have open"
-Everyone in the 100 yard lane seem to have a magnified scope. (my assumption because of the length of scopes I saw). I'm using Magpul MBUS backup sights. I definitely felt like I was out of place.

Range master told me my lane number (21). I got there during cease fire, so he pointed to the staplers hanging on the post for me to use for putting up targets. Also told me where the sand bags were if I wanted to use them when shooting. Very helpful!

I put up my target and when cease fire was called off, I sat at the bench and began loading the one magazine I have. This is the first time I'm loading it and the only reason how I knew how to load it was from the reading and youtube vids I watched. Inserted the magazine firmly, brought the rifle up and....the magazine fell out =) I've read that you're suppose to give it a firm slap, but I really didn't know how firm. It's gotta happen at least once right? Anyway, SLAPPED the magazine in, pulled the charging handle, did my best to line up my sights, pulled trigger....click! No shot. Up this point I was feeling pretty embarrassed, what with the mag falling out and now my rifle won't shoot. I don't know if anyone was watching, but I REALLY hoped no one noticed. Hit the bullet button, pulled and set the BCG (Bolt Carrier Group) in the "back" position. Saw a found in the chamber and tilted the AR back so the round would fall out. Visually checked to the chamber and didn't see anything wrong (I'm not expert). SLAPPED the mag back in and hit the bolt catch. I hear and feel the audible CHUNK sound as the BCG falls into place (I love that sound). Lined up and pulled the trigger....Pop! My first shot! I was surprised at how light the recoil is on an AR. I shot a few more times before I cleaned out the bore. I continue to do this (shoot, clean, shoot, clean) for about 100 rounds, while checking my shots and attempting to adjust my sites. Gentlemen on my right even gave me a pointer on where my shots are landing. I shot for about an hour before packing up.

Overall, I had a great time. My first experience was pretty fantastic. I had a slow start, but took my time to figure things out. The Range Masters at Metcalf was professional, communicated clearly on range rules and professional. I look forward to going back in the next couple weeks! The only thing I would've done differently was to go there earlier, maybe right when they opened.

Hope this was helpful to some of the other newbies out there and maybe even gave some vets a chuckle on my mistakes.

-WW
Sounds like a blast! I'm also a noob and love meeting up for shoots and learning. If you plan on going again soon please let me know! I currently have an optic on the way and if it can get here by Saturday I'll be going to Metcalf Sunday for sure.