Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calgunners in Service
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calgunners in Service This forum is a place for our active duty and deployed members to share, request and have a bit of home where ever they are.

Old 04-10-2013, 9:54 PM

Default Anybody here currently a Navy recruiter? Or know of one?

Is anybody here a Navy recruiter? I went to talk to one in Westminster today but he didn't seem too excited or enthusiastic as the other branches I have talked to.

I want to talk to a real navy recruiter that actually wants to help possible recruits. If anybody here is a navy recruiter or knows a good recruiter in the Westminster Santa Ana area, please shoot me a pm.
Old 04-10-2013, 11:39 PM

most likely he has fulfilled his quota for his month. when i was a recruiter the navy guys had their recruits lined up and waited several months to a year out before they can get their schooling for their specific job specialty. as you probably dont know the navy and airforce are full of prospective candidates that want to join and just are awaiting to leave for training. it also helps if you score high on the asvab too. if you score below a 50 or something your not an ideal candidate. your navy recruiter probably saw your score and thought he tested a moron. if you tested at meps your stuck with that score for awhile, you might as well join the army or marines. and btw if you have any law violations the navy and airforce wont even talk to you theyll send you to army and marine recruiters. join the army or marines the other branches are full of p*****s anyway.
Old 04-10-2013, 11:57 PM

I'm maintaining a 3.7 gpa as a Biochemistry major, although I haven't taken the ASVAB test in itself, I scored a 95 on the practice test with the Marines. The only reason why I'd want to get into the Navy is for FMF Corpsman. I have no health issues and no law violations.
Old 04-11-2013, 4:50 AM

Go to the lead recruiter or try another office and see what you get.

Remember you will be going in as a Corpsman and hoping to qualify for FMF in Baby Steps from the minute you depart for MEPS to about the 2nd week before "A" school is done. Then you need to deploy for up to 18 month's, go back for FMF training and then you may make it.

Wish you luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by whyhatchu View Post
I'm maintaining a 3.7 gpa as a Biochemistry major, although I haven't taken the ASVAB test in itself, I scored a 95 on the practice test with the Marines. The only reason why I'd want to get into the Navy is for FMF Corpsman. I have no health issues and no law violations.
Old 04-28-2013, 5:42 PM

So here's the deal. If you walk in with a specific job in mind, you may get the cold shoulder. A recruiters job is to sell you on their branch of service. Everything else depends on your ASVAB scores and the needs of the service at that time. You can score high on the ASVAB but be weak in the skills needed for Corpsman. You cannot enlist with a guarantee to go FMF or SEALS for that matter. You have to qualify for those once in service. It's been a long time since I did my tour in recruiting hell but will answer anything I can.
Old 05-24-2013, 8:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whyhatchu View Post
Why are you in college but want to enlist as an HM? why not go officer in the medical corps?
Old 05-24-2013, 9:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonademaker View Post
Why are you in college but want to enlist as an HM? why not go officer in the medical corps?
As an enlisted sailor, I recommend this if possible as well. If you want to go solely FMF you'll probably despise sea duty as a corpsman.
Old 05-24-2013, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMod View Post
As an enlisted sailor, I recommend this if possible as well. If you want to go solely FMF you'll probably despise sea duty as a corpsman.
I second this statement.
and the preliminary requirements to go from enlisted to officer just get harder and harder for those programs. especially when the economy is bad and people arent taking their Navy sponsored degrees outside to the civilian sector. I got out a little over a year ago because my the officer program I wanted upped requirements from bachelors to masters in order to apply when the economy tanked. Then they said if/when i get a masters , then they might consider me. I aint waiting around playing the college in between deployments game any longer (FMF corpsman get pulled off shore duty way more often then non-FMF qualified corpsman even if you do manage to get into a skate shore billet). I ended up going to the VA as a government employee and carried my degree and experience over.
With a degree, I wasnt going to wait around for anther 11+ years to get the 20 year retirement when Iraq/Afghanistan vets typically get higher disability payments than what the retirement would be (unless you count the badass tricare health insurance that comes with retirement, but my physical health is pretty good.)
However, if I had the same bachelors degree I have right now, as someone recruited new off the street by an officer recruiter, I would be able to get into the navy as an officer in the field I wanted without having to have the masters degree. Prior enlisted though... not as easy actually. They want them fresh new young guys, as with all the branches.
Now I'm taking the VA disability payments, using the active duty TA funded bachelors for my federal job, Navy years carried over to my gov job and using my post 9/11 GI bill I never touched to fund my masters degree and collect BAH.
If you really look at all the benefits out there, you will find that doing the typical 20 years enlisted (ESPECIALLY IF YOU HAVE A DEGREE) is not necessarily the most profitable path to go down. I went in right from high school but if I had a degree, there is NO WAY I would consider going enlisted first. Navy physicians work right beside FMF corpsman many times and there are most certainly opportunities in the nurse corps and medical corps for officers to deploy on FMF (green side) if thats what you want.