Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Southern California Chapters > San Diego Chapter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2019, 8:26 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarhead714 View Post
Bill Gore the hero. Some Calgunners would sell their very souls to the Devil for the ability to legally carry a pistol.
How, precisely, is anyone "selling their souls"? What alternative do you offer?

They're jumping through hoops to get a piece of paper to avoid going to jail for exercising a right. Please describe what, exactly, they're doing wrong and what they should be doing instead.

Go.

San Diego FFLs | San Diego ranges
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it. --Thomas Jefferson
** I have my San Diego County CCW... you can, too!
Old 06-02-2019, 8:27 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabefree View Post
Last I checked San Diego county had a population of over 3 million and they now have about 2570 total Permit holders. Ya we are winning !
What's your point?

What difference does it make how many people there are and how many permits are being issued if those who want permits are able to get them?

Other than the ludicrous waits, exactly what problem do you see?

San Diego FFLs | San Diego ranges
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it. --Thomas Jefferson
** I have my San Diego County CCW... you can, too!
Old 06-03-2019, 12:03 PM

I am not going to comment on this anymore after this because it just ruffles too many feathers here. My only pint was that in other pars of the State the percentage of the population who actually get a permit are much better. Not everywhere but to me its sad that so few based on the percentage of population so far have been able to exercise there constitutional right to bear arms.
I am not saying that the progress so far is not welcome just that its taken a long time and there is a lot of room for improvement. If more people see that its now possible then maybe overtime the numbers will improve. so I encourage all who can and want too to go out and apply.
Old 06-03-2019, 12:37 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

You start somewhere
Old 06-03-2019, 4:29 PM

It appears that some people rather spend more time talking about the policy Sherrif Gore had 3 years ago rather than what his policy is today . Of course it’s not perfect but it’s close now to a complete turn around issuance wise. Most anyone without a criminal record and has a decent good cause statement who has applied is now carrying or on their way to being issued. I commend the Sherrif for changing his policy and doing the right thing!
Old 06-03-2019, 8:35 PM

I called in November 2018 and had an initial date for June!

10 March I was called to ask if I could meet in April

29 March I did my initial interview over the phone.

3 April I went in for my second interview and needed to revise some stuff on my GC and bring a qualifying document, so I had to reschedule for late April.

29 April I had my "2nd" interview, submitted prints and photos. Paid initial fees.

3 June I received a call from the sheriff to verbally verify some information. (I'm a DOJ instructor, and they are saying that my FSC instructor license limits me to only teaching stuff related to the FSC exam)...anyway, in addition I moved and have to resubmit my residnecy information.

...if not for my own mistake and the change in living space I might already have received my approval letter.

I'm back in the queue and optimistic that I'm going to be approved. Just need to finish jumping the hurdles.
Old 06-04-2019, 12:03 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Gore was on channel 5 talking about the CCW's this morning. Apparently their staff is overwhelmed by applicants and there are now long delays for processing. Gore said he 'aims' to fix that, when, good guess. He has issued around 1000 so far, there are about 2500 total for a county with 3 million people.

He spoke about the "good cause" requirements. Those have not changed. He said if you are a businessman or jewelry seller with cash or valuables you may qualify. He said a regular person will not unless they can prove a "good cause" reason for obtaining one. What that is he did not specify.
Old 06-04-2019, 12:33 PM
Calguns Addict

Well he could have expanded more on good causes, he is not exactly encouraging people. But I guess I expect that. He’s not going to tell people to go to one of the seminars afterall.

"Yeah, like... well, I just want to slap a hippie or two. Maybe even make them get jobs."

Old 06-04-2019, 4:55 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CessnaDriver View Post
Well he could have expanded more on good causes, he is not exactly encouraging people. But I guess I expect that. He’s not going to tell people to go to one of the seminars afterall.

Factly, no need in alarming the sheep.
Old 06-04-2019, 10:10 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

What documents do you use to prove current employment? Check stubs, but what else? They said to bring more.
Old 06-05-2019, 6:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDCarpenter View Post
What documents do you use to prove current employment? Check stubs, but what else? They said to bring more.
Signed letter of verification of employment in company letterhead.
Old 06-05-2019, 6:43 AM
Calguns Addict

I was able to use my company badge/photo ID. I would think they call and check too.

"Yeah, like... well, I just want to slap a hippie or two. Maybe even make them get jobs."

Old 06-06-2019, 8:13 AM

Guess I shouldn't have waited. Just made my initial appointment, it's for May 15th of 2020. She said that I should receive a call in a few months to move the appintment closer.
Old 06-06-2019, 8:35 AM
I need a LIFE!!

A one year delay is another reason to discourage applicants here.
Old 06-06-2019, 2:20 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi Jah View Post
A one year delay is another reason to discourage applicants here.
It shouldn't be. Time flies and we've already seen that the sheriff is actively trying to improve things.

Fighter Pilot
Old 06-06-2019, 2:23 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

i called in january, they said october. they called me in april to move it to july. Then they called me this week to tell me my appointment is now this saturday.... It will move along quite well.
Old 06-06-2019, 6:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffSD View Post
What do you do if you don't work? It seems like all of these good cause statements are based on work. Is a person who doesnt work, like a retiree, out of luck?
I went to the CCW application process info session at the Glock Store late last year and they gave some ideas on how to turn your work/hobbies into just cause. To me, it seems like you just need to brainstorm and think of a "spin" on how to justify yourself. Some examples were along the lines:

I work, travel, frequent, areas where there are quite a few homeless people. As we all have seen in the news and/or in person that homeless people can be aggressive and violent.

I play poker and tend to carry cash a lot.

There were a couple of school bus drivers there and I forget exactly what spin the speaker put on it, but he found a way even though no firearms allowed on schools.

So, think of all your hobbies and places you travel to and find a spin on it.
Old 06-06-2019, 6:25 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
i called in january, they said october. they called me in april to move it to july. Then they called me this week to tell me my appointment is now this saturday.... It will move along quite well.
Saturday, wow, please make sure to thank them for the Saturday shift.
Old 06-06-2019, 6:26 PM

Quote:
If mine moves that fast I'll be happy. Good luck to you.
Old 06-07-2019, 8:06 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
How and why does having current employment have anything whatsoever to do with CCW?

If I could live my life all over,
It wouldn't matter anyway,
'Cause I never could stay sober
On the Corpus Christi Bay. Robert Earl Keene

Heaven goes by favor.
If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in. Mark Twain
Old 06-07-2019, 10:10 AM
I need a LIFE!!

It's a 'good cause' they recognize due to the risk of traveling with cash or valuables. That is exactly what Gore said that is a qualifier. An average dolt commuting to a salary job is not a qualifier unless you travel with valuables.

You may need to be more creative. One guy got one due to his back country traveling/hiking/off roading. He claimed the tweakers were a big risk to him alone out there.
Old 06-07-2019, 4:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi Jah View Post
It's a 'good cause' they recognize due to the risk of traveling with cash or valuables. That is exactly what Gore said that is a qualifier. An average dolt commuting to a salary job is not a qualifier unless you travel with valuables.

Agree.

My GC was I am a field service engineer that travel to remote places with equipment and tools during odd hours. They use my company badge and I also have company letter head stating the equipment I bring during my assignment.
On my permit it states occupation as field service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-09-2019, 9:57 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by riflehunter View Post
It appears that some people rather spend more time talking about the policy Sherrif Gore had 3 years ago rather than what his policy is today . Of course it’s not perfect but it’s close now to a complete turn around issuance wise. Most anyone without a criminal record and has a decent good cause statement who has applied is now carrying or on their way to being issued. I commend the Sherrif for changing his policy and doing the right thing!
Quoted for the truth!

Gore's GC policy is no longer the limiting factor in SD Co. Right now, the main limitation is logistical and he's been working on improving that, even having his CCW Unit consult with OC's CCW Unit re. how to improve workflow and streamline the process.

Gore/SD Co has become a Rorschach Test: people who complain about Gore or SD Co are saying more about themselves than about either of the former.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rorschach_test

Quote:
Originally Posted by baranski View Post
Factly, no need in alarming the sheep.
Exactly. Gore will say he's more restrictive on TV than his actual practice. He knows the people who are serious will still look into it. The liberal, anti "soccer moms" will be placated and won't look into it. Politics, folks, politics....

If you look at the GC policy Gore has on his website and compare it to what SDCoGO says passes, you'll see he's issuing more liberally than his policy suggest.

https://www.sdsheriff.net/licensing/ccw.html

https://sandiegocountygunowners.com/ccw/

That is another reason we say the CA CCW GC map may be off by 1 color: to not discourage applicant who don't have as strong a GC as the SO on their website says is needed. Even they may get issued.

For example, I'd guess any law-abiding CGNer could pass the GC standard if they get cash out of ATMs and fill up your tank in bad parts of town after dark (easier done with short days in winter). Just keep the receipts, showing the location & time to make copies of to include with your app. Include a print out of a Crime Spotting map showing it is in fact a bad part of town. Do that off and on over 3 months, then apply. Figure out a good reason for doing such to justify doing such. After you get issued/denied, stop going to bad parts of town at night! (Stupid places at Stupid times) If you get issued, great, it was worth it. You can now defend yourself with a gun in public. If you don't, well, it was only a minimal exposure (~15 min for both ATM & gas each time), for a possible CCW. Just be alert, carry OC and you'll survive....

230+ examples of CCWs Saving Lives.

KnifeRights.org/images/KRbanner_468x60-1.gif

Last edited by Paladin; 06-09-2019 at 10:54 AM..
Old 06-09-2019, 10:05 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Saturday appointments for CCWs: inconceivable!

Old 06-09-2019, 10:18 AM
Ban Hammer Avoidance Team
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Location: Did you notice how far over I've moved this part of my info? You should try it, it's fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
If you look at the GC policy he has on his website and compare it to what SDCoGO says passes, you'll see he's issuing more liberally than his policy suggest.
Are the good cause examples on SDCGO's site from approved applications or just examples?

"Those who cannot remember the posts are condemned to repeat them"

I wish I had a dollar for every time someone used a cliché

Why is it all the funny stuff happens to comedians?
Old 06-09-2019, 10:51 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casual_Shooter View Post
Are the good cause examples on SDCGO's site from approved applications or just examples?
While it only describes them on that webpage as "EXAMPLES OF GOOD CAUSE STATEMENTS", IMO, it makes no sense, in context, for them to be anything other than successful GC statements. (1) If they were denied GC statements, they would include examples such as "self defense" and similar. They don't. (2) If they didn't know whether they'd pass or not, why even post them?

You may want to find out and help others in SD Co by contacting SDCGO and suggest their webmaster edit it to read: "EXAMPLES OF ACCEPTED GOOD CAUSE STATEMENTS", if that is in fact what they are. (No, I won't do that for you guys since I don't live in SD Co....)

Last edited by Paladin; 06-12-2019 at 11:44 PM..
Old 06-09-2019, 10:53 AM
Ban Hammer Avoidance Team
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Location: Did you notice how far over I've moved this part of my info? You should try it, it's fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
While it only describes them on that webpage as "EXAMPLES OF GOOD CAUSE STATEMENTS", IMO, it makes no sense, in context, for them to be anything other than successful GC statements. (1) If they were denied GC statements, they would include examples such as "self defense." (2) If they didn't know whether they'd pass or not, why even post them?

You may want to find out and help others in SD Co by contacting SDCGO and suggest their webmaster edit it to read: "EXAMPLES OF ACCEPTED GOOD CAUSE STATEMENTS", if that is in fact what they are. (No, I won't do that for you guys since I don't live in SD Co....)
That's what I was thinking also.

"Those who cannot remember the posts are condemned to repeat them"

I wish I had a dollar for every time someone used a cliché

Why is it all the funny stuff happens to comedians?