Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Shotgun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shotgun discussions Trap, Hunting, Defense and more. A place for enthusiasts to discuss the shotgun.

Old 05-26-2019, 9:12 PM

Balance is a personal feeling thing, what feels good to me may feel bad to you. It takes time to figure out what is best for you.
Gun weight has little to do with balance, but everything to do with felt recoil.
My two guns weight the same, felt recoil is the same, however, the balance is very different. One is between the hands, the other is barrel heavy. The gun with the balance between the hands feels lighter while shouldered and swings to the target much easier, a much better feel for me. If you add weight, try to keep the balance point between the hands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
Keep in mind, lugging a shotgun around a skeet field isn't bad.

Try shelping a Kreighoff (or a railroad tie, they're about the same) around a 14 station sporting clays course
Brad, that's why we have carts, so we don't have to lug railroad ties around. Sorry you bought a railroad tie, you should have bought the Zoli you wanted

My page...Give me some feedback.
Old 05-26-2019, 10:04 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

OP. One little quick trick you can do is throw in two or three rolls of dimes just to see how the gun feels. A real outstanding sporting clays shooter Tom John has done this many times over the years. Quick and convenient way to find out.
Old 05-27-2019, 6:58 AM
Calguns Addict

Funny story about Smiling Tom.

When I first started shooting I met this cranky old curmudgeonly bastard named Tom. I was horrified to find out we're the same age

He's been the Zone 7 and State Sporting Clays Champion more times then I can remember.
Old 05-27-2019, 7:06 AM

Quote:
Funny story about Smiling Tom.

When I first started shooting I met this cranky old curmudgeonly bastard named Tom. I was horrified to find out we're the same age

He's been the Zone 7 and State Sporting Clays Champion more times then I can remember.

MidLife - "Just look at the bird. And swing smoothly to the shot. "

CaptainDick - " Faster! Faster! Faster! Don't think!
Old 05-27-2019, 6:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamajun View Post
You can try my V3 with these mercury weights at Moore N Moore on Monday.

I didn't buy them to reduce the recoil as V3 is a soft shooter, probably softer than A300. I just wanted to make the gun heavier. Well, I can return them to Brownells for free if I don't like them. I'll see.
I tested the V3 with the mercury weights today at Moore N Moore. Remington V3 Field Sport weighs 7.25 lbs. With the magazine tube weight +11 oz and the stock weight +16 oz, the gun has become Remington V3 Macho Sport...
Old 05-28-2019, 4:12 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fecalguns View Post
OP. One little quick trick you can do is throw in two or three rolls of dimes just to see how the gun feels. A real outstanding sporting clays shooter Tom John has done this many times over the years. Quick and convenient way to find out.
That was kind of my initial plan: zip ties and some kind of lead sinker/bar/tube/etc just to tweak things up a bit at first.
Old 05-31-2019, 5:22 PM
C3 Contributor
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Talking

Quote:
I only raced motorcycles for 15 years, and we always tried to lighten them, not make them heavier. What kind of bikes vibrate so badly?

I see you haven't lost your sense of humor. .. always try to be funny!!!
Old 05-31-2019, 9:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fecalguns View Post
The Mercury Stock Recoil Suppressor 5" 16oz costs $54.99. A dime weighs 0.080 oz, and it only costs $20 for 16 oz. I may return them to Brownnells and use the rolls of dimes instead. Thanks for good info!