Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calgunners in Service
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calgunners in Service This forum is a place for our active duty and deployed members to share, request and have a bit of home where ever they are.

Old 04-23-2013, 3:37 PM
Veteran Member

Default Memorial to some good men who died 6 years ago today

This a dupe from OT, but not everyone reads OT so figured I'd post it here as well.

All were in 5-73 Cav, 3rd Brigade Combat Team, 82nd Airborne.
A tribute to the 9 soldiers killed on April 23, 2007 in Iraq:

Lt. Gaspers, SSgt. Moore, SSgt. Locker, Sgt. Pearson, Sgt. Marshall, Sgt. Vaughan, Spc. Rodriguez, Spc. King, and PFC. Knoll.

I knew almost all of these guys from when 3-505 transitioned into 5-73. All were good men. RIP brothers.
Old 04-23-2013, 3:59 PM

R.I.P.
Old 04-23-2013, 4:26 PM

curious as to where you guys were in Iraq, I cant be sure but I think your unit was just to the north of mine during this time frame. I'm a Marine but I'm pretty sure our northern AO border was your AO. Semper Fi to your fallen brothers, we chewed our share of sand our there too.
Old 04-23-2013, 4:31 PM
Veteran Member

I was attached to 1-319 AFAR in Tikrit, Iraq. Up to our no notice deployment I transitioned from 3-505 to 5-73 as part of Rumsfield changes in Brigade Combat Teams. 5-73 was in Diyala Province and had an extremely rough deployment.
My medic from 3-505 ended up getting a silver star while in 5-73.
Old 04-23-2013, 4:32 PM

Eternal gratitude for their sacrifice ~ a debt that can never be repaid.
Old 04-23-2013, 4:37 PM
Veteran Member

I had just returned from a mission, and was going to the MWR to call my parents when I got a call on the ICOM to come to the CP. In it was my 1sgt, CSM and the Chaplain who were waiting with the 4 other men who had been transferred from 5-73 with me.

They then told us the MWR blackout was because 5-73 had just been hit by two VBIEDS, the first one blew and the second one was able to get within 30 meters of the building and detonated. No one knew at the time how bad it was.

Less then a month later I'd get another call and the same men would be there, and my 1sgt would be telling me a red cross message had come in that my father had a fatal heart attack and died.
Old 04-23-2013, 9:02 PM
WooHoo! Free at Last!
CGN Contributor

Wow! I was in the 3/73rd Airborne, 82nd ABN Div from 86-90. B co. We had Sheridans(M551A1) back then. I think they re-classified as the 5th when they got rid of the Sheridans.

I am heartbroken and feel the deepest sympathy for their families and loved ones, especially since I hadn't heard of this before. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

I have to say, though that the time I spent with the 73rd(four years) I will never forget. I know those dudes, as 19Ds(Cavalry Scouts) they were the hardest chargen' M'Fers on the battlefield. That was what they lived for(at least I did, and I know they did too).

Let us not mourn their loss, but celebrate their gain as they sit in Fiddler's Green and enjoy a pint and share their exploits with Cav Troopers from the Civil War, through the Indian Wars, WW1, WW2, Korea, Vietnam, panama, Somalia, Iraq, Afghanistan, and now Africa and Sudan.

They lived and died as American Heroes and that is how we should remember them.

A Toast! To the Cavalry! And to those who have fallen in battle!
Hear!Hear! To the Grog!
[IMG][/IMG]

I will pour a beer for each of them tonight, as well as drink double and mourn their loss.

dammit, now my keyboards all wet and I can't see the screen. Damn allergies.

SCOUT'S OUT!

John Wheeler
1ST Sergeant, Retired
And in all fairness, just because JMB did it doesn't mean anything. He'd have won WWII with a soup can, a fork, and a couple rocks. Seriously, even McGuyver and Steven Hawking get together every now and then and are like "How the **** did he do that?..."
Old 04-25-2013, 8:08 PM

RIP. We lost a lot of good men. Post 9/11 years have been especially difficult for our Special Operations forces. A big THANK-YOU to all who have come before and those we've lost. We will reunite again. For now, they guard the gates of heaven for the rest of us.