Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > MARKETPLACE > Deals, Sales and Coupons
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Deals, Sales and Coupons Found a good deal or sale? Got a coupon or code? Share them here!

Old 03-18-2018, 1:44 PM

Default Car Code Reader » only $10.90

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075MZP1FV...&creative=9325
And if He doesn't turn their hearts,
May He turn their ankles
So we will know them by their limping.
~Irish Blessing

Calguns, take me away...
Old 03-18-2018, 2:15 PM

There are $3 ones on eBay
Old 03-18-2018, 2:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21guns View Post
There are $3 ones on eBay

Sounds like a great deal. Couldn't find it on Ebay. Can you please post a link?

Here's what I found- https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...+OBD2&_sacat=0
And if He doesn't turn their hearts,
May He turn their ankles
So we will know them by their limping.
~Irish Blessing

Calguns, take me away...

Last edited by sean michael; 03-18-2018 at 2:26 PM..
Old 03-18-2018, 2:26 PM
Rattlesnake Hunter
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Good job - I'll take it - and I don't buy from eBay
......GO HERE FOR--► My YouTube Channel
Old 03-18-2018, 2:28 PM

Now up to ~$20. Not that it's a bad deal, but this appears to be just an interface, and software is needed to receive and interpret data.

Also, the seller posted the following in regard to acquiring software...

Quote:
Those fee applied have more cool user interface and stronger function than free.
So, I think that it may be worth your while to pay those fee, so you can get stronger function than free.
Old 03-18-2018, 2:41 PM

Just go to O'Reilly or AutoZone auto parts and have it checked for free.
Old 03-18-2018, 2:50 PM

The cheapo versions often don't work. Buy a decent one. It will more than pay for itself down the road. I have two. One is a vehicle specific one made by Foxwell for Schwaben. 200 dollars but more than paid for itself not long after buying it. And it'll do many, many things that the simple readers won't do.

Foxwell also makes less expensive scanners:

http://www.foxwelltool.com

If you're looking for a decent reader, buy one by these guys. Pay attention to the type you need, WiFi or Bluetooth.

http://www.obdlink.com

A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it. - Rabindranath Tagore
Old 03-18-2018, 3:21 PM
Just me, baby. Just me.
CGN Contributor

I've got this one, and have been using it for a year. With the free version of Torque that you put on your phone, it's very functional and has saved me a whole lot of headaches. Worth every penny, even if it's just so you can reset and erase codes instead of having to drive for 20 minutes.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005NLQAHS..._t1_B075MZP1FV
Old 03-18-2018, 3:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean michael View Post
Sounds like a great deal. Couldn't find it on Ebay. Can you please post a link?

Here's what I found- https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...+OBD2&_sacat=0
https://m.ebay.com/itm/Pro-ELM327-V2...C7OES2TeqTT6yQ
I have this one and it works great.
Old 03-18-2018, 4:23 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by surge123 View Post
Just go to O'Reilly or AutoZone auto parts and have it checked for free.
They can't do that anymore (in California).

They can let you borrow the tools, but the ASE managed to lobby Sacramento and get a law passed that prohibits auto parts store employees from performing actual troubleshooting or even touching a customer's car unless the shop has a service bay.

There's a reason mechanics make more than minimum wage and actually pay to go to school. The code might say that there is an O2 sensor code... the parts store people would always sell you a new O2 sensor. Maybe the O2 sensor was working properly and simply reporting something caused by the injectors or maybe an exhaust leak?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd View Post
A just government will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just government. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.
Old 03-18-2018, 4:50 PM
Calguns Addict

Thanks. In for one. You have to click the redeem offer button to get 48% off. $10 for a iPhone compatible version is a great deal.
Old 03-18-2018, 5:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21guns View Post
https://m.ebay.com/itm/Pro-ELM327-V2...C7OES2TeqTT6yQ
I have this one and it works great.
Got the same one !
Old 03-19-2018, 2:01 PM
Calguns Addict

I got mine today and tried it out on my car and work truck. Works perfectly! I’m using an iPhone and the app you need is called DashCommand. I had purchased that app years ago when it was on sale for $2.99. Normal price is
Much higher. When the app launches, you’ll need to choose ELM compatible.

On your iPhone you go to the WiFi settings, connect to the device, type in 12345678 as the password and launch dash command. App connects automatically. Again you want to choose ELM compatible reader and you’re in business. This might be the best $10 I ever spent.

Dash command allows you to leave the reader plugged in and get real time data on your phone while driving. Everything from performance to fuel consumption. Thanks again OP!
Old 03-19-2018, 3:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cokebottle View Post

They can let you borrow the tools, but the ASE managed to lobby Sacramento and get a law passed that prohibits auto parts store employees from performing actual troubleshooting or even touching a customer's car unless the shop has a service bay.

There's a reason mechanics make more than minimum wage and actually pay to go to school. The code might say that there is an O2 sensor code... the parts store people would always sell you a new O2 sensor. Maybe the O2 sensor was working properly and simply reporting something caused by the injectors or maybe an exhaust leak?
I remember when autozone denied me a read. I went across the street to jiffy lube and they were happy to read it for free
Old 03-19-2018, 4:13 PM

As mentioned above, use the output to steer you generally towards the issue, not to make a definitive conclusion. Well, unless you enjoy replacing working parts.
Old 03-20-2018, 10:24 AM

More money but my friend says the blue tooth driver offers web links to help fix the code issue. Anyway, good deal on the OP and ebay reference..

https://www.amazon.com/BlueDriver-Bl.../dp/B00652G4TS
Old 10-30-2018, 9:14 AM

Quote:
More money but my friend says the blue tooth driver offers web links to help fix the code issue. Anyway, good deal on the OP and ebay reference..

https://www.amazon.com/BlueDriver-Bl.../dp/B00652G4TS
Thinking to buy this Bluetooth Professional OBDII Scan Tool. But, what is the difference between a physical scanner and a Bluetooth scanner?
Today, I was reading this BlueDriver Bluetooth professional scan tool reviews https://obd2scanners.org/bluedriver-...-tool-reviews/. It has lots of features and can help to detect the car problems!

Last edited by roseawebs; 11-03-2018 at 7:04 AM..
Old 10-30-2018, 6:59 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipeline1 View Post
I remember when autozone denied me a read. I went across the street to jiffy lube and they were happy to read it for free
They have service bays.
They aren't any more qualified than the Autozone employees, but since they have service bays, they are in compliance with the law.
ASE lobbied for the law.

Just like AMR is pushing Prop-11.

Quote:
A just government will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just government. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.
Old 10-31-2018, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cokebottle View Post

I feel so much better as a consumer that I have mechanics looking out for me.

Bastiat warned of trade guilds using the coercion of government to screw the consumer in the 1840's, when he satired the candlemakers' guild petitioning government to block out the sun. As bad or worse than unions.
Old 10-31-2018, 8:12 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guninator View Post
I feel so much better as a consumer that I have mechanics looking out for me.

Bastiat warned of trade guilds using the coercion of government to screw the consumer in the 1840's, when he satired the candlemakers' guild petitioning government to block out the sun. As bad or worse than unions.
In some cases I agree with you. Personally, as soon as someone throws out "I'm ASE Certified" as support why I should trust them, that's when my BS detector starts moving toward the peg.

The reason this was pushed, and I can't completely disagree with it, is because people who had no business getting their codes read were being taken advantage of by minimum wage store employees who would read codes and then sell parts claiming it would fix it.
I've seen this happen.
I've seen employees damage wiper arms and damage paint and glass.
Some people should not be working on cars... and many of these people work for auto parts stores.

If car repair were as simple as reading a code and buying a part, repair shops would be out of business... but more often than not, the repair shops are making more money because of "shotgun" repairs that did more harm than good.

Sometimes that O2 code means the O2 sensor is bad. Usually is on a car with less than 100k.
Sometimes that O2 code means the O2 sensor is doing its job and informing you that there is a problem in the system. Usually is on a car with over 200k.

Quote: