Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Young Calgunners
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Young Calgunners This forum is for our younger members, the sons and daughters of Calgunners, younger guests and their parents.

Old 01-05-2009, 1:27 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seesm View Post
That kid was for sure too young to shoot that M1 Carbine by himself.
Making that kid shoot that Garand after the first shot was child abuse...

Old 01-05-2009, 6:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyW View Post
Making that kid shoot that Garand after the first shot was child abuse...

Is it really child abuse when the kid is laughing? I'm not saying it was the smartest thing in the world but he didn't act like he wanted to stop.

http://www.campaignforliberty.com/
http://www.rlcca.org/
Old 01-05-2009, 6:57 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
That kid was for sure too young to shoot that M1 Carbine by himself.

The way he would drop it and pop it up in the air could have been a wild for someone if he slipped on the trigger I think.

Mom videoing and Dad helping him would have been better for 1-2 shots... 8 shots is too much for a kid that size.

But it's Texas... If I lived there I may have my kids running full autos... JK
If he was shooting a M1 Carbine, he would have been fine. Even if he had the stock shortened to fit him and was shown a proper shooting stanze, he would have done OK with the M1 Garand. but the parents were complete IDIOTS for letting him shoot a gun that didn't fit him right and one which he was unable to maintain proper muzzle control.

I spent last saturday at Angeles with my cousins. It was there first time firing firearms. I wish I had a Cricket or Henry's to teach them with. It's hard to teach proper shouldering of a long gun when the stock is too long for them.

Old 01-05-2009, 7:02 PM
Calguns Addict

as soon as they can understand what your telling them as long as you are right there with them 100% of the time
Old 01-05-2009, 8:02 PM
Calguns Addict

Csa cannoneer what is that tripod gun... The one with the folder is a gsg right? Very cool... They look pumped!!
Old 01-05-2009, 8:45 PM

I don't believe there is an age limit to start shooting, maybe a sense of maturity and interest is something to look for. My dad started me on a .22 rifle when I was three, but he also taught me how to handle firearms later on in grade school, he taught me what the consequences can be if misused, and to know that a firearms is not a toy.
Old 01-05-2009, 9:12 PM

In my opinion, it is too young for get to learn how to use weapon before 18 years of age.
Old 01-05-2009, 9:24 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsusd View Post
In my opinion, it is too young for get to learn how to use weapon before 18 years of age.
seriously ??
that's why we have so many 18yos who don't have a clue at the range
Old 01-06-2009, 1:02 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Come on now... You must be kidding...

Maybe for you 17 was too young and at 18 it was all good for you BUT, if you can drive a car here at 16...

I might think you saying 16 is a good opinion (FOR YOU), but seriously.

If the kid is with a adult and that person is a decent shooter they can do it pretty young, anything in life is best learned when young.

Last edited by Seesm; 01-06-2009 at 1:07 AM..
Old 01-06-2009, 5:03 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

My 1919 was on the tripod.

As far as 18 years old to learn to shoot? Give me a break. I think that firearms safety should be a mandatory subject in our public schools by the age of 8! Instead of the "don't touch, go tell an adult" BS that they teach, proper firearms safety and handling would keep the curiousity levels down and would save lives.
Old 01-06-2009, 10:34 AM

nothing wrong with starting kids at an earlier age learning proper safety and handeling. my dad took me out around 8 or 9 and i had a lever action single shot .22, i had a blast with that thing. he tought me everything i needed to know so that when i hit 16 and took my hunter safety course, i aced it, did the best out of anyone else there, including the 30 year old dudes.

like alot of people here were saying, it all depends on the kids, as the parent you just gotta recognize when you think they're ready.
Old 01-07-2009, 12:06 AM

When I was 5, I shot my dads 32 revolver, of course he was right there holding the gun with me, and I remember being scared. Then when I was 7 he gave me a BB gun which I didn't use until age 10 because I didn't care about guns at the time, but getting involved with boy scouts and those single shot 22's was awesome at age 10. After that its been downhill ever sense My old man gave me a 10/22 when I was 14 and had a blast with it. When I turned 16 my mom and uncle bought me a bushmaster ar15, (mom grew up in the country). I think its awesome to see parents supervising there kids at the range teaching them on 22's learning the basics. Sounds like your doing a good job.
Old 01-10-2009, 11:34 AM
Calguns Addict
CGN Contributor

Quote:
If you believe that, then Sarah Brady's work is already half-done. The "kids and guns don't mix" line is designed, I imagine intentionally, to break the gun culture. It's also reckless endangerment, IMO, because that's how you *really* cause accidents.

How did they do it when guns were normal? Kids got a .22 for their sixth birthday and went bunny hunting (there's a nice picture at corneredcat.com or something like that). Future president John Quincy Adams was doing the manual of arms with a musket that was taller than he was....

My brother pointed out to me that we used to live in a small Montana town where every street had an unlocked parked pickup with a loaded rifle in plain view of children playing. Nobody *ever* messed with them.

Your choice on who knew more about raising kids to be safe with guns: umpteen generations of people who raised ten-child families with guns, or Sarah Brady.

The gun culture--pass it on. "It's for the children." :-)

7x57

What do you need guns for if you are going to send your children, seven hours a day, 180 days a year to government schools? What do you need the guns for at that point?-- R. C. Sproul, Jr. (unconfirmed)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulgron View Post
I know every chance I get I'm going to accuse 7x57 of being a shill for LCAV. Because I can.
Old 01-10-2009, 4:04 PM

no age is too young if they're with an adult...I would set them free at age 10 with a bb gun....what's the worst that can happen, broken window, dead bird, eh...just instill the importance of not shooting others and wearing safety glasses.

When i was little my grandpa threw sand in my face once or twice to show the importance of safety glasses. I will never forget that, and I will never forget to wear them.
Old 01-10-2009, 9:27 PM
Calguns Addict
CGN Contributor

Came across these photos on the web pages of a custom bullet caster in Alaska. How young is too young? From the picture, it looks like somewhere less than two. :-)

The only thing I like more than those pictures of the kids with daddy are the possibility of anti-hunters hyperventilating over his pictures of dead critters. It's the good life up there in Alaska, though if it's seven miles to the mailbox I'm pretty sure net access is not so hot. :-)

7x57

What do you need guns for if you are going to send your children, seven hours a day, 180 days a year to government schools? What do you need the guns for at that point?-- R. C. Sproul, Jr. (unconfirmed)

Quote:
I know every chance I get I'm going to accuse 7x57 of being a shill for LCAV. Because I can.
Old 01-12-2009, 5:17 PM
I need a LIFE!!

nothing wrong with teaching them at a young age. just my personal opinion, i wouldnt teach my kids how to shoot til maybe 12-14 yrs old
Old 01-12-2009, 5:57 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7x57 View Post
If you believe that, then Sarah Brady's work is already half-done. The "kids and guns don't mix" line is designed, I imagine intentionally, to break the gun culture. It's also reckless endangerment, IMO, because that's how you *really* cause accidents.

How did they do it when guns were normal? Kids got a .22 for their sixth birthday and went bunny hunting (there's a nice picture at corneredcat.com or something like that). Future president John Quincy Adams was doing the manual of arms with a musket that was taller than he was....

My brother pointed out to me that we used to live in a small Montana town where every street had an unlocked parked pickup with a loaded rifle in plain view of children playing. Nobody *ever* messed with them.

Your choice on who knew more about raising kids to be safe with guns: umpteen generations of people who raised ten-child families with guns, or Sarah Brady.

The gun culture--pass it on. "It's for the children." :-)

7x57
I would re-write that line as "Untrained kids and guns do not mix."

When she's ready, I'll pass on the gun culture to my daughter... she'll be six soon and not quite ready right now.
Old 01-12-2009, 9:11 PM
Calguns Addict
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSDGuy View Post
I would re-write that line as "Untrained kids and guns do not mix."
True--though taken strictly, you can't train them, as that would involve mixing untrained kids and guns. :-)

What bothers me is actually untrained *parents*. It's quite easy to screw up, if *you're* a screw up. :-) Really young, you have to assume they will do anything and everything and be ready to ensure safety regardless of what they do, otherwise you couldn't start the training. That means whoever is teaching them needs to be ensuring the safety of two people while demonstrating the right way at all times. If they are not well enough trained, then it's a disaster waiting to happen.

I can recall parents I *really* don't ever want to see teaching safety.

Quote:
When she's ready, I'll pass on the gun culture to my daughter... she'll be six soon and not quite ready right now.
That's the way. Part of the original process was that daddy's word was law. Shooting was a privilege you earned at his sole discretion and judgment. All fun comes from following the rules and satisfying the teacher.

7x57

Quote:
Old 01-12-2009, 9:40 PM

In my opinion again, 18 years of age is about right time to get to know weapons (guns).

There are things that kids can learn quickly; there are other things that requires very long time to learn. It is up to parents to set the priorities for their children. At the age of 18, they can pretty much decide what are the priorities in their lives and on their own. Let them take over from there.

By exposing the kids to weapons and Lead at early age is no good for their health either.

Fullfiling life itself is like filling a cup full of rocks, stones and sand. Let's fill it up with big rocks first, then comes smaller stones, and finally grains of sand.
Old 01-15-2009, 12:36 AM
Calguns Addict

PpphuudddddD
Old 01-15-2009, 5:08 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
In my opinion again, 18 years of age is about right time to get to know weapons (guns).

There are things that kids can learn quickly; there are other things that requires very long time to learn. It is up to parents to set the priorities for their children. At the age of 18, they can pretty much decide what are the priorities in their lives and on their own. Let them take over from there.

By exposing the kids to weapons and Lead at early age is no good for their health either.

Fullfiling life itself is like filling a cup full of rocks, stones and sand. Let's fill it up with big rocks first, then comes smaller stones, and finally grains of sand.
WOW!! Are you kidding? How long have you known Sarah Brady? I think you have it totally backwards. Why would you want to keep firearms a mystery to kids? If they get to know how to properly handle and respect firearms at a young age, they will be a lot less likely to be invovled in a firearm related mishap.
Old 01-15-2009, 11:39 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSACANNONEER View Post
WOW!! Are you kidding? How long have you known Sarah Brady? I think you have it totally backwards. Why would you want to keep firearms a mystery to kids? If they get to know how to properly handle and respect firearms at a young age, they will be a lot less likely to be invovled in a firearm related mishap.
Here here +1000
Old 01-15-2009, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Are you serious? I'm 17 (got my first gun when i was 16) and I'm 100% positive that I know how to use all 7 of the guns that my family has. If you know anyone above the age of 15 who can't learn how to shoot/be familiar with any gun within 15 minutes, than that kid is just an idiot. btw, a knife is a weapon, so if you don't think that you should be allowed to use a knife until you're 18, you're just being ridiculous.
Old 01-15-2009, 12:41 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBreya View Post
Are you serious? .............If you know anyone above the age of 15 who can't learn how to shoot/be familiar with any gun within 15 minutes, than that kid is just an idiot.
If anyone thinks that 15 minutes is all it takes to properly and safely learn to handle/shoot a firearm then, they are an idiot! Maybe, after proper instuctions on the basics of firearms handling, 15 minutes per weapon could be concievable. But, if you (a 17 year old) think that 15 minutes of training is all someone needs to be safe and proficent with firearms, I'd have to side with gsusd and go further by saying that even 18 is too young. I really hope you just didn't comunicate your thoughts well.
Old 01-16-2009, 11:14 AM

A single shot or a lever action repeater 22 lr would suit you children better than the battle guns they desire... Baby steps man!
I forget who makes it; I think savage made a survival o/u type .22lr over a 20 gauge. I "played" with one when I was 10 years old, I liked it alot.
I also had a single shot bolt action 22 lr. which I feel made me into a decent target shooter today. You tend to focus more on hitting the target knowing you only have one shot. On the plus side you'll save money on ammo
I wish my pops impared shooting with me at a younger age...instead my friends dad taught me. My Mother made my Father sell all his guns once My Sister and I was born It kinda bums me out knowing that
Old 01-17-2009, 11:36 AM

my grandson
Attached Images
File Type: jpg baby d w ar.jpg (8.6 KB, 40 views)
Old 01-17-2009, 11:38 AM
Calguns Addict

I think someone is just jealous at the 15 yo's outshooting them
Old 01-22-2009, 1:18 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorensen440 View Post
I think someone is just jealous at the 15 yo's outshooting them
Yup
Old 01-22-2009, 5:20 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I love it when new young shooters outshoot me. It's specially nice when I've been the one training them from the start.
Old 01-24-2009, 12:45 AM
Calguns Addict

My 5 yr old is deadly with his "Red Rider"... He plink cans like a mad man and just giggles when he hits stuff he hits more than his 8 yr old brother...
Old 01-24-2009, 9:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSACANNONEER View Post
If anyone thinks that 15 minutes is all it takes to properly and safely learn to handle/shoot a firearm then, they are an idiot! Maybe, after proper instuctions on the basics of firearms handling, 15 minutes per weapon could be concievable. But, if you (a 17 year old) think that 15 minutes of training is all someone needs to be safe and proficent with firearms, I'd have to side with gsusd and go further by saying that even 18 is too young. I really hope you just didn't comunicate your thoughts well.
I disagree. I think teaching your children about guns at an early age is good. It is up to the parent. I would not let my 11 year old go shooting without me, but he has learned to respect and handle guns and that I think will help prevent any gun related mishaps that might come up without me being there. IE; a friends house or other situation. I think waiting until 18 is odd to me, what is magical about the age of 18? I think back to my youth, and I was more mature at 16 than my older brother was at 19. And to this day he still lacks certain traits that I can attribute to my father taking me shooting at an early age. My older brother went too, but he never got from it what I did. Anyhow it is really up to the parent to make that call, and I think it is never too early to teach them safety and responsibility, if you wait they may never really learn it.
Old 01-24-2009, 1:03 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMP2010 View Post
I disagree. I think teaching your children about guns at an early age is good. It is up to the parent. I would not let my 11 year old go shooting without me, but he has learned to respect and handle guns and that I think will help prevent any gun related mishaps that might come up without me being there. IE; a friends house or other situation. I think waiting until 18 is odd to me, what is magical about the age of 18? I think back to my youth, and I was more mature at 16 than my older brother was at 19. And to this day he still lacks certain traits that I can attribute to my father taking me shooting at an early age. My older brother went too, but he never got from it what I did. Anyhow it is really up to the parent to make that call, and I think it is never too early to teach them safety and responsibility, if you wait they may never really learn it.
Reread the thread. I agree with you. The post you qouted was my responce to a 17 year old stating that almost any 15 year old can learn how to properly and safely handle a firearm in 15 minutes. I was calling BS since, I don't believe 15 minutes is long enough to train anyone, of any age, properly. Also, go back and look at some of the pictures I've posted in this thread and others. I have introduced many minors to all kinds of firearms including, muzzleloaders, beltfed guns, 50BMG rifles, as well as the standard long guns and handguns in a multitude of calibers. But, I would never feel comfortable teaching any new shooter for 15 minutes and then thinking that they "could shoot" as the young new shooter had implied.
Old 02-08-2009, 11:35 PM

i started shootin guns as soon as i was strong enough to hold the gun up and fire it at the same time and i think im ok lol but id tell your kids that if you shoot someone its not like the movies and they wont come back alive
Old 02-16-2009, 8:09 PM
Garanditis Sufferer
CGN Contributor

Here's my 8 year old at the Sacramento Valley Shooting Center the other day. I started her out when she was 7 on bolt action .22s and just recently got her the pink 10/22.

Old 02-17-2009, 12:21 PM
I need a LIFE!!

my 2 1/2 year old says to me this weekend... "what's this poppa?" i say thats a bullet (.22 sub) so then i realize, lets have her pull the trigger once, aimed @ a hillside 25' in front of us, so i put her finger on the trigger ( i was holding the pistol) and pulled it back , "pop" and she got the biggest smile on her face i;ve ever seen
Old 02-18-2009, 12:08 AM
DDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1mean76 View Post
but id tell your kids that if you shoot someone its not like the movies and they wont come back alive
One Word: Hunting.
Old 02-18-2009, 11:30 PM

Talking

Yeah my dad started my brother and I at 7 and 8 shooting his J.C Higginssingle shot that he got when he was 10. I think that if you are taught correctly, you can shoot a guns at a fairly young age. He was always very strict with us about obviously "never pointing it at anyone" and the "never to cross the firing line" rules and we always had lots of fun. I remember even throwing clay pigeons for my dad and his friends around that age too, they loved it since they didn't have to do it lol. I hope to have that experience with my kids one day too.
Old 03-06-2009, 5:12 PM

Every case is different, but my 5 year old is definately not ready.
Old 03-10-2009, 6:18 PM
Calguns Addict

My 5 yr old is ready with me helping him and working with him... Neither 5 or 8 yr old are ok alone yet....
Old 03-10-2009, 9:31 PM

Default totally normal...

Quote:
I ask what is too young to have your kids shooting? I know I know it depends on the kids but just your opinion.

Grandpa teaches the safety and I back it up daily basis. My kids are 5 and 7 and shoot there "red riders" at targets in the back yard every few days with a adult ONLY....

Is this too young? I ask because our 7 year old is asking for a AR15, AK 47, Mini 14, M1 Carbine and Garand for Christmas so I am just asking... Because a parent does not want to let him down!!

Jk on letting him down but he loves shooting, is this normal... I only shoot like 5 times a years so I am not fanatic but I do love this site. Talk to me.
Totally normal... get a bunch of 5 year olds together and invariably the boys will get in to gun related play before too long.... ACTUAL shooting w/ Dad or Grandpa?? ALL OVER IT.

Here's a related thread I started on the subject awhile back... some useful perspectives:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=122103

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimoBBZ View Post
Sooo... How old were YOU when you 1st lit off a live round? Was it a memorable event (positive or other-wise), please share?

Daughter is turning 4 in November, and while I'm anxious to get her to the range for some prone .22LR sessions, I realize she's not there maturity-wise. Maybe @ 5 or 6.

She's great so far with understanding boundries concerning the big & small safes around the house and safety issues. But not quite there yet on patience and attention span.

She's quite comfortable with my airsoft and cardboard targets out back, but is only attentive for about 10 shots... when a butterfly or birdie distracts her.