Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 07-15-2013, 2:14 PM
Veteran Member

Default What CB?

I'm looking for a CB to put in my 4runner. I don't know a damn thing about these radios. I eventually plan on looking into HAM as well, but for now I want a CB so I can communicate with other rigs on trails and in case of an emergency. I would prefer to not break the bank big time but want something capable. Thanks fellas!!!
Old 07-15-2013, 2:17 PM

Besides the CB and antenna, you will also needs tuning. Search for a local CB store and they can do all for you. I have one in my rig and almost never turn it on. Too many low life on CB channels. If I am you I would go direct with basic 2 meter ham radio like the Yaesu 1900R that is about $135 after rebate.
Old 07-15-2013, 2:20 PM
Veteran Member

For CB, most of my friends have Rangers. Don't know which model. I plan on getting a Cobra 29.
Old 07-15-2013, 2:26 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lex View Post
Besides the CB and antenna, you will also needs tuning. Search for a local CB store and they can do all for you. I have one in my rig and almost never turn it on. Too many low life on CB channels. If I am you I would go direct with basic 2 meter ham radio like the Yaesu 1900R that is about $135 after rebate.
The issue here is most of my buddies have CB and not HAM. Like I said I eventually plan on getting both but for now the CB comes first.
Old 07-15-2013, 3:21 PM

regardless of the brand name, look for SSB and get yourself an amp.
Old 07-15-2013, 4:15 PM
Veteran Member

The Cobra 29 is a classic and rides in many American trucker's rigs. There are plenty out there but like Lex said they should be tuned and peaked for best performance.
Old 07-15-2013, 6:30 PM

I have a galaxy in my rig. A good tuned antenna is more important than radio in my opinion.
Old 07-15-2013, 6:35 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Cobra 29 Night Watch Blue Tooth & a pair of Wilson Powered Antennas
Old 07-15-2013, 6:48 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvenSoul View Post
Cobra 29 Night Watch Blue Tooth & a pair of Wilson Powered Antennas
Why would he want a pair of antennas on a 4runner?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I collect Military Arms and enjoy shooting in local matches. I also collect older Lever Actions, especially those chambered in odd/old cartridges. If you have a nice old Winchester or Marlin in 25-20, 32-40, 38-55, 40-60, 45-70, etc etc, please PM me and we can work out a deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheExpertdouche
I wasn't kidding when I said this would all be over by Xmas... Stay tuned for good news next week.
Old 07-15-2013, 6:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyin Brian View Post
Why would he want a pair of antennas on a 4runner?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
CB has 40 channels. Thats too broad for 1 antenna to be tuned to. So 1 antenna is tuned for channels 1-20 the other for 21-40. Pretty common to setup this way.
As mentioned, SSB worth the extra $$. You can have a more "private" signal to another radio with SSB in addition to the 40 standard channels.
Old 07-15-2013, 7:00 PM

get a little wil magnet based antanae
easy to mount and route the cable. still needs to be tuned for SWR.

I went with the Midland 75-822 40 which has weather and portabilty . It also comes with the car kit to plug into car lighter socket for power and a screw socket for the antanae.
Old 07-15-2013, 7:23 PM
Veteran Member

Excuse my ignorance, what exactly is SSB? I'm considering a cobra model 18. Where could one go to get a CB tuned? Any suggestions for antennas?
Old 07-15-2013, 7:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisO View Post
Excuse my ignorance, what exactly is SSB? I'm considering a cobra model 18. Where could one go to get a CB tuned? Any suggestions for antennas?
Ssb (single side band) is like extra set of channel frequencies. It's only good if people in your group have that type of radio. You will know someone using it because it will sound like Donald duck from a regular radio. If you buy online dealers usually have a "peak and tune" basically turning up the pots inside the radio for max output, however you still have to adjust the antenna. Local cb shop can do all this if you already have a radio. They are usually located near truck stops.
Old 07-15-2013, 7:50 PM

Iirc ssb is sideband which makes a new frequency by combining a high and a low channel. It allows you to communicate with someone else who must also have ssb on sort of a private channel. Sorry I'm no radio expert.
CB shops are usually near truck stops. Fontana, Ca has plenty of them around. Amazon sells pretty much any accessory and if you can solder, youtube is a good source for tuning your system.
Firestick antennas and wilson antennas work well and are common, either must be tuned to your specific radio and installation
Old 07-15-2013, 7:58 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi5 View Post
CB has 40 channels. Thats too broad for 1 antenna to be tuned to. So 1 antenna is tuned for channels 1-20 the other for 21-40. Pretty common to setup this way.
As mentioned, SSB worth the extra $$. You can have a more "private" signal to another radio with SSB in addition to the 40 standard channels.
Seriously? CB is only .5 MHz wide. Set your antenna for the middle of the band and you probably have a hard time to even measure any antenna mismatch. I have Mobile HF antennas that will easily work over 100 Kh with no tuner.
Old 07-15-2013, 8:09 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi5 View Post
Quote:
A regular CB transmits an AM signal. That signal has 3 parts; an upper sideband, a lower sideband and a carrier signal. All I can say about the carrier signal is that it makes your signal have a quiet background, and also blanks out all other radios in the local area while you are talking.

SSB is just transmitting on either the upper or lower side band without a carrier. What this does is give you a way bigger signal because you don't have to use up power creating a carrier. The drawback is that you sacrifice the self-tuning aspect of the AM signal. So instead of having 40 channels, you have 120 channels... channel 1 AM, channel 1 LSB and channel 1 USB. You also have to fine tune the signal, and it can make funny sounding voices, like the donald duck reference above.

I would recommend this antenna from Wilson, the 500 is fine for what you need:
http://www.wilsonantenna.com/base_load.php
Old 07-15-2013, 10:36 PM
Veteran Member

I don't think a roof mount would be a very good idea where I usually end up wheeling. I was considering mounting it to my front or rear bumper.
Old 07-16-2013, 9:46 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I don't think a roof mount would be a very good idea where I usually end up wheeling. I was considering mounting it to my front or rear bumper.
If you're just looking to talk to your buddies within a few miles, you can pretty much mount it anywhere and it will work ok. The drawback to mounting to a bumper is that the radiating part of the antenna is going to be near the body of the vehicle, which will affect the radiation pattern of the antenna and also make it difficult to tune.
Old 07-17-2013, 1:04 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I forget the shop name, but there use to be a CB shop behind Jimco at Jack Tone, Chris.

They sold and tuned as well.