Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Long Distance Shooting
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Long Distance Shooting Discuss tools, techniques, tips and theories of long distance shooting

Old 01-10-2018, 3:59 PM

Default RX17 with Rex Reviews

Hey guys, I don’t know if you heard. Rex of Rex Reviews (youtube channels with hundreds of videos on long range shooting) started offering training with an in room class and live fire training classes last year. I went to both and I tell you I was making that steel plate ring at 1,100 yards. We learned about cartridge and equipment selection saving me lots of money on mistake buys. By the time I was done with the live fire class, I took home a dope chart customized to my rifle and cartridge.

Rex just started offering a DMR class and ELR class. I just wanted to share!
Old 01-10-2018, 4:02 PM
Banned

Interesting, and where are the classes being held?
Old 01-10-2018, 5:04 PM

I have attended the classroom portion of the RX series which is a prerequisite for the live Fire event that will be held in California on St. Patrick's Day weekend. Some really good information was learned and some techniques were shown that has already made me a better shooter. Plus there were some different higher end optics to look through at my class. Highly recommended from myself as well! For more information go to https://www.rexdefense.com/book-online
Check out his YouTube Sniper 101 series to get a feel of his massive amount of knowledge!
Old 01-10-2018, 6:53 PM

I took the first in class course in Dallas. Look on his website https://www.rexreviews.org/

He had some in California too.
Old 01-11-2018, 3:55 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubtak View Post
Hey guys, I don’t know if you heard. Rex of Rex Reviews (youtube channels with hundreds of videos on long range shooting) started offering training with an in room class and live fire training classes last year. I went to both and I tell you I was making that steel plate ring at 1,100 yards. We learned about cartridge and equipment selection saving me lots of money on mistake buys. By the time I was done with the live fire class, I took home a dope chart customized to my rifle and cartridge.

Rex just started offering a DMR class and ELR class. I just wanted to share!
I have respect for rex but when he endorses a guy like James Yager and has him as a paid speaker at his event, No thanks. it's all about money then ain't it??
Old 01-13-2018, 2:40 PM
Veteran Member

I have a lot of respect for Rex and his shooting knowledge. When the classes were offered in California I was interested. But the class description was not clear on if there was actually shooting involved, since it was located in a classroom not a range, and the price was kinda spendy.

Maybe its my fault for not understanding the advertisement better.
Old 01-14-2018, 4:38 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Scott View Post
I have a lot of respect for Rex and his shooting knowledge. When the classes were offered in California I was interested. But the class description was not clear on if there was actually shooting involved, since it was located in a classroom not a range, and the price was kinda spendy.

Maybe its my fault for not understanding the advertisement better.
He was setting up a two part class, you had to attend one of is classroom lectures first, then you could fly out to Texas for the shooting portion but thats also an additional fee. the reason be hind this was to have everyone at the same pace and no one person having issues understanding how to use their equipment or how to apply a ballistic solution to the scope would hold up the class.

Classes were very spendy $600 for a two day zero time on the rifle course.

I just got back from a two course helping a guy and all he did was feed me carna asada and beer. once i trued up his ballistics app to real world data i had him making hits on a 6" plate at 800 meters and I mean hit(s) plural as in three consecutive before he started to get excited and flub shots. then he got back in the groove and knocked the plate off the stand.
Old 01-14-2018, 1:11 PM
Veteran Member

Thank you for clarifying that. Yes, $600.00 for no shooting was just a bit too much for me. Then going to Texas to shoot was a deal breaker.
Too bad, I might have paid the $600.00 if the two day seminal included shooting.
Its still a lot of money, and it depends on how much time you spend with Rex, but I would give it a try.
Old 01-15-2018, 8:29 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Scott View Post
Thank you for clarifying that. Yes, $600.00 for no shooting was just a bit too much for me. Then going to Texas to shoot was a deal breaker.
Too bad, I might have paid the $600.00 if the two day seminal included shooting.
Its still a lot of money, and it depends on how much time you spend with Rex, but I would give it a try.
One day I'm going to offer a two day class for long range. Problem is it's going to be in the desert, some 150 from San Diego, I need permits from the BLM and insurance and a EMT/PM on staff to pull it off. so down the road a ways for sure.

Here's what I've put together so far.
Long range precision rifle class
2 day class
Scores based on .308 rifle.
Higher ballistic capability rifles must score at least 10% higher than scores listed below

Day one

1. Equipment list.
2. Zero rifles, build proper positions, monitor recoil control, review student accuracy. Score must be better than 70% hits on 1 moa dot @ 100 y/m. If students pass 100 yard qual, move to 300 meters
3. Ballistic computer/app review. Data collection and correction. Chrono every load, every rifle.
4. Ballistic app truing, only using Applied Ballistics app.Velocity correction via apps truing feature will not be used. We will use drops, velocity, and altitude density to correct BC to produce correct BC number to get drops to +/- 1/10 mil, 1/4 MOA click of true impact
This is the app I know and use, other apps work but this is the one i can navigate in.
5. Wind reading overview. What the flags represent, how that correlates to the flight path and what that looks like with no flags to reference i.e. natural vegetation, natural sign and mirage reading. Flags are used to produce a consistent reference to wind speed.

Day two. Score listed are goals for seasoned shooters not requirements for class, Ring Diameters are NRA F class targets of 1 MOA ring size steps.

1. 300 meter target 19.7” (1/2 meter) plate with 6” flipper, equal to a 9 ring shot. Should score 80% hits on 6” flipper
2. 600 meter. Target same as above. Equal to 10 ring, should score 70% hits on 6” flipper.
3. 1000 meter 40” target. 10” and 5” flippers. Equal to 10 and X ring. Should score 50% or better on 10” flipper
4. 1250 meters. Full size silhouette. 308 ballistic limit. Should score 50% hits or better
5. 1500 meter. Full size silhouette. 6.5 CM ballistic limit. Should score 50% hits or better

It's a work in progress.
Old 02-21-2018, 10:33 AM

Default RX17 with Rex Reviews

Something

Last edited by Arcaporale; 06-29-2018 at 5:31 AM..
Old 02-21-2018, 3:21 PM
Veteran Member

Whatever became of the Cal PRC long-range precision rifle classes?
Old 02-21-2018, 4:26 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcaporale View Post
I had the opportunity to attend the RX18 Seminar last weekend in Rancho Cucamonga, and man was it awesome!!!

No matter what skill level you are at, there is something for everyone at these seminars. Rex and crew put on a insightful, rewarding, and fun seminar that really will solidify your long range game. The discussion ranged from the very basics, to very high level topics you will not find anywhere else, and Rex's knowledge and experience knows no bounds.

Along with Rex, the room was filled with some well known guests in the industry, and competitive circles, they all were all very willing to answer questions and share their experiences with the attendees.

Rex and crew are true professionals and take their work very seriously without taking themselves too seriously, which makes the learning not just easy but fun. Rex is a very talented instructor, and super intelligent guy who has a passion not just for shooting, but for sharing his knowledge as well. And his knowledge is not just limited to shooting.

He is a true renaissance man who can speak on a wide variety of topics including natural sciences, theology, music, and physics just to name a few. And with this knowledge comes very little ego, Rex is one of the nicest, most approachable guys I've had the pleasure of meeting. But above all, Rex is a hardcore patriot, and his patriotism is the main driving force behind these seminars.

Aside from the coursework, I had the opportunity to network with some really awesome like minded guys who attended the class. It was so rewarding to see so many other people who had been following Rex over the years, all on the same wavelength, all with a passion for shooting and learning. Additionally Rex loves to just hang out and "visit" with people. After the class, the attendees and crew continued the conversation over beer and supper.

Whether you're a novice shooter, or highly experienced, you will walk away from this seminar a more knowledgeable, and more viable shooter. Additionally, the seminars are a "master key" as Rex describes which allows you to take the live fire course, or one of the other upcoming classes. Unfortunately it looks as if Rex will not be doing anymore seminars in CA, but this would be something definitely worth traveling for if you have the chance to attend a future one elsewhere.

Check out the website https://www.rexdefense.com/ for schedule of upcoming seminars and classes. Also checkout his podcast too at https://www.rexreviews.org/

Looking forward to seeing Rex, the crew, and the attendees again at the live fire class next month!

Also big thanks to Rex, Mrs. Rex, Lew, and the guests who made this seminar possible including: Phillip Naman, Kelly McMillan, Seth Capps, Daniel Gyurec, and Nico Detour.
Spoken like a true Teenage Fanboy
Old 02-21-2018, 5:04 PM

Definitely a fan of Rex. No shame in that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-22-2018, 12:19 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothy8500 View Post
Whatever became of the Cal PRC long-range precision rifle classes?
Lack of volunteers to continue putting them on.
Old 02-22-2018, 5:01 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Definitely a fan of Rex. No shame in that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
When you sound like a paid shill yeah there’s shame in it.
Old 02-22-2018, 8:47 AM

Stay positive Kerry! We're all on the same team here!
Old 02-22-2018, 11:27 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Stay positive Kerry! We're all on the same team here!
No Sir we are not. I don’t know you, I don’t know your team. And when you sound like Rex is paying you to post, low post count and near zero other posts in the long range section?? Yeah you still sound like a shill
Old 02-26-2018, 6:16 AM

I’m no paid shill. I paid for both classes. On the first class, the indoor training class; you learned the theory and what to worry about first. Somethings you don’t need to worry about until you reach that range. There was a PRS champion there to share his tactics to deal with the wind. Then a long section to help save everyone money on equipment selection. I would say, this discussion alone paid for the $600 class.

If you already have all the equipment and know how to use it; then the theory indoor class may not be for you.

The outdoor class is held in many locations and difficult to schedule because you need st least 1000 yards.

I took this class in Texas. I met up with the good folks I met in the first class. Three days of intense live fire and hands on. The first half the day was to get your equipment squared away. It was amazing how many scopes failed and equipment was not setup properly.

I hit 1,100 yard target and learned better marksmenship that I can carry to other types of shooting.
Old 02-26-2018, 6:56 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubtak View Post
I’m no paid shill. I paid for both classes. On the first class, the indoor training class; you learned the theory and what to worry about first. Somethings you don’t need to worry about until you reach that range. There was a PRS champion there to share his tactics to deal with the wind. Then a long section to help save everyone money on equipment selection. I would say, this discussion alone paid for the $600 class.

If you already have all the equipment and know how to use it; then the theory indoor class may not be for you.

The outdoor class is held in many locations and difficult to schedule because you need st least 1000 yards.

I took this class in Texas. I met up with the good folks I met in the first class. Three days of intense live fire and hands on. The first half the day was to get your equipment squared away. It was amazing how many scopes failed and equipment was not setup properly.

I hit 1,100 yard target and learned better marksmenship that I can carry to other types of shooting.

From what I understand you can’t take the classes independently. You need to take the lecture first then you can take the live fire portion
Old 02-26-2018, 8:17 AM
Veteran Member

I can see the value of a class, vs just going out and "banging steel" on your own. There is also value in attending rifle match clinics( like the upcoming wind-reading at Coalinga), whether it's mid-range or long-range. Unfortunately, I think people are intimidated by the "match" aspect, or perhaps don't think there's a correlation. I dunno, $600 would get you lots of match entry fees or carne asada n' beer for kcstott.

Last edited by smoothy8500; 02-26-2018 at 8:21 AM..
Old 02-26-2018, 10:43 AM

Quote:

Whether you're a novice shooter, or highly experienced, you will walk away from this seminar a more knowledgeable, and more viable shooter. Additionally, the seminars are a "master key" as Rex describes which allows you to take the live fire course, or one of the other upcoming classes. Unfortunately it looks as if Rex will not be doing anymore seminars in CA, but this would be something definitely worth traveling for if you have the chance to attend a future one elsewhere.
Well I wouldn't say you're a shill, but you definitely come off as being very giddy about your experience. I know I've written more than one review that was basically free advertising because I enjoyed some product so much, so I guess I'm guilty of being a fanboy for some stuff too.

If it's true it'll be out of state from now on, my interest in spending the money to get there for the course is dwindled quite a bit. Bummer. I almost went to this year's course, but since I'm brand new to long range, I figured the course and money would be wasted on me attending, since I haven't finished his video series or even started reloading yet.
Old 02-26-2018, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcstott View Post
I have respect for rex but when he endorses a guy like James Yager and has him as a paid speaker at his event, No thanks. it's all about money then ain't it??
Admittedly, that kinda put me off a bit too when I saw that. I would still consider going to his courses because I really appreciate what he's doing for guys like me that want to get into long range, and just don't have a lot of funds to get started. But if it's out of state for even the classroom course, I'm likely going to be looking elsewhere for hands-on training.
Old 02-26-2018, 12:41 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothy8500 View Post
I can see the value of a class, vs just going out and "banging steel" on your own. There is also value in attending rifle match clinics( like the upcoming wind-reading at Coalinga), whether it's mid-range or long-range. Unfortunately, I think people are intimidated by the "match" aspect, or perhaps don't think there's a correlation. I dunno, $600 would get you lots of match entry fees or carne asada n' beer for kcstott.
Oh I hear ya, I had no intention on attending anything Rex puts on in that price range, I respect the guy, I just don’t like the company he keeps.

Beer and carne asada are always budgeted for, although $600 would put more powder primers and bullets on the bench.