Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 10-19-2015, 6:05 PM

Default Oehler 35 vs Magnetospeed V-3 ? which one

Hey guys ,need help picking another chrony kind of tossed up between these two but haven't used either one of them,or should i just stick with another caldwell.
Lent it to a friend and it didn't come home in good shape she's got a big hole in her.
Magnetospeed looks cool and i like the idea of not having to line it up 15 feet in front of me,but how does it work with 338 LM
Thanks in advance
Old 10-19-2015, 6:34 PM
Veteran Member

i used my magneto with a 338 edge...no problems. i like the fact that i can put it on the barrel and not have to set it up downrange.

only drawback is if you like to load develop over a chrono because the V3 will change your barrel harmonics.

me, i load develop the most accurate load for the gun, then chrono it. the speed is what it is.
Old 10-19-2015, 6:45 PM

Lab radar
Old 10-19-2015, 6:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADAM View Post
Lab radar

Except it's always "Coming Soon", vaporware
Old 10-20-2015, 3:32 PM
I need a LIFE!!

LoL. Yeah, Labradar is tops in my book, but magneto speed it excellent for not having to deal with the various lighting conditions, plus it can be ran at an indoor range with no issues. Well, as long as you can attach it to your gun anyways...

Need GOOD SS pins to clean your brass? Try the new and improved model...

And remember- 99.9% of the lawyers ruin it for the other .1%...
Old 10-20-2015, 6:48 PM
Veteran Member

lab radar from the reviews has a hard time with certain calibers. just be sure to look at the reviews. not sure if they fixed it or not. the concept is great, but I'm done with being the gineau pig for new products like this.
Old 10-21-2015, 7:02 AM
Veteran Member

I have a 35P. The only thing I don't like is the printer always jams. I always have to adjust the paper tape after every shot. It does work otherwise. I bought mine in the late 1980's. Certain things set it off without a bullet flying past the sensors. Fluorescent lights and automotive key fobs will cause the unit to cycle. When it happens it usually shows 0000 fps. I wish they would make a unit that attaches to a laptop or tablet instead of the printer.

I just read a review on the lab radar. It appears you have to input the bullet weight or something like that. Seems like too much of a hassle. My 35P can read anything including plastic airsoft pellets.

In the United States a person's expertise on a subject is inversely proportional to their knowledge of the subject: The less they know about something, the more they become an expert on it.

I am being held hostage in a giant insane asylum called Earth.

Last edited by Carcassonne; 10-21-2015 at 7:13 AM..
Old 10-21-2015, 9:48 AM
Internet Warrior
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Is this thread some kind of joke?

The Oehler is in a different league from the magneto
Old 10-21-2015, 4:23 PM

I used the Ohler 35P. It is the best unit in my opinion.
Old 10-21-2015, 9:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMP View Post
Is this thread some kind of joke?

The Oehler is in a different league from the magneto
is there a reason why, i read a lot of the bullet and ammo manufacturers use the Oehler, i like the printer but also like the ease of the magnetospeed .
great reviews on both units if you know something about the Oehler please elaborate
thanks for the replies guys
Old 10-21-2015, 9:23 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zo6junki View Post
is there a reason why, i read a lot of the bullet and ammo manufacturers use the Oehler, i like the printer but also like the ease of the magnetospeed .
great reviews on both units if you know something about the Oehler please elaborate
Ok a little bit of accuracy VS precision lesson.

Most all Chronos claim a 5% error rating or accuracy rating and even Oehler claims the same number

But in terms of sensitivity, stability, and lack or erroneous reading the Oehler is tops. in the world of Chronos Oehler is the best hands down. everything else is a novelty

Now that said all you Chrono users out there can just slap a piece of tape over the last two digits, your velocity should read like this 27XX fps 29XX fps
because 5% of 3000 fps is 150 fps so recording the tens FPS is a waste of energy

Last edited by kcstott; 10-21-2015 at 9:26 PM..
Old 10-21-2015, 10:47 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcstott View Post
Ok a little bit of accuracy VS precision lesson.

Most all Chronos claim a 5% error rating or accuracy rating and even Oehler claims the same number

But in terms of sensitivity, stability, and lack or erroneous reading the Oehler is tops. in the world of Chronos Oehler is the best hands down. everything else is a novelty

Now that said all you Chrono users out there can just slap a piece of tape over the last two digits, your velocity should read like this 27XX fps 29XX fps
because 5% of 3000 fps is 150 fps so recording the tens FPS is a waste of energy
YEah, that is prolly as precise as you can get for telling the TRUTH and yeah, OEHLER is certainly a very good scientific chrono.

Too accurate for reloading I dare say...

I know that as a reloader, I wanted consistency and having a chrono that used sunlight only gave me issues being consistent. SO I decided that my next would be a labradar... Oehler? Please do not make me laugh. I will take a miligram measuring digital scale, but just give me something that shows me in the ballparka nd is fairly accurate, but at least WORKS and if I can get it to work inside with no issues, EVEN BETTER.

But yeah, Oehler is tops, I figured that was a given, so I decided to not answer that way. It means more to me to be able to test my rounds at the range indoors since I can not always go to stealea peakachu.

Need GOOD SS pins to clean your brass? Try the new and improved model...

And remember- 99.9% of the lawyers ruin it for the other .1%...
Old 10-22-2015, 4:56 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I'm sorry but you shouldn't be working up nor testing loads at a public range.

And they make inferred screens for a reason.

Your scale idea well, yeah since everything is measured volumetricly anyway what's the difference.

I do hand weigh my match grade rifle ammo though.
Old 10-22-2015, 6:37 PM
Calguns Addict

The Oehler chronographs are the gold standard because of there proof channel.
They take 2 velocity readings not just one and if both readings are not similar it doesn't record it.
The accuracy is not 5% as was posted earlier.
1 FT 2 FT 4 FT 8 FT
1000 FPS 5 fps 3 fps 1 fps 1 fps
2000 FPS 10 fps 5 fps 3 fps 2 fps
3000 FPS 16 fps 8 fps 4 fps 2 fps
4000 FPS 21 fps 10 fps 5 fps 3 fps
This is the accuracy at the various screen spacings
www.unlimitedrange.org
Not a commercial business.
URSA - Competition starts at 2000 yards!
Old 10-23-2015, 6:21 AM

I used an Oehler 33 for more than 25 years. Great machine usually but can be influenced by muzzle blast and lighting conditions. The real problem was setting the screens at a public ranges. I got tired of that and bought a Magnetospeed Sportster. Haven't missed a shot since. I really like the ability to e-mail the results home from the range. But, you can't shoot groups with it. Tks, Bill
Old 10-31-2015, 6:57 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by zo6junki View Post
If you go to the magnetospeed website they don't list any error numbers.
They tell you about another source who used a Oehler and the magnetospeed was 99.6% as good.
There technical info page has nothing of any value to it.
www.unlimitedrange.org
Old 11-01-2015, 1:14 AM

I have both a Oehler 33 and 35P chronographs, and a MagnetoSpeed V-1. I find the Magnetospeed is more useful for its quick setup and ease of use in developing rifle loads. Because all my rifles use heavy varmint contour barrels there is little or no effect of the barrel mounted bayo. The accuracy between the Magnetospeed and 35P is within a few fps, not enough to be concerned with. Also the Magnetospeed can be adjusted for sensitivity when firing .17 or .20 caliber bullets that may give optical sensors a fit. Another annoyance is when testing in close proximity to other shooters at a public range their muzzle blast may cause an errant reading that must be deleted from the string, something the Magnetospeed is immune from. The most significant difference is when one or more Oehler skyscreens become shaded in the afternoon, they quit working, and the chronographing session is over. The magnetospeed unit carries on under all conditions. In addition, I can transfer the Magnetospeed data from the SD card to a Excel format I made for easy archiving. See below:

The other consideration is that the Magnetospeed is so easy to set up, it can be used anywhere, even while hunting varmints if some strange mood overwhelms one's sensibilities. It's just easier to do if using a range where chronographs are a PITA.

There are advantages and disadvantages to everything, in this case use your judgement.
Old 11-01-2015, 8:48 AM

Thank you Wrangler John ,you convinced me into the magnetospeed
Old 11-01-2015, 8:50 AM
Calguns Addict

WranglerJohn
I shoot over a 35p in a cave in almost complete darkness and have never experienced any of the issues I have seen posted here except it does take longer to set up.
The MagnetoSpeed cost about $100 less than the Oehler so if it's ease of set up and velocity doesn't matter you can get chronographs for $80 that work just as well.
Not trying to slam a product but it is not even remotely close to an Oehler it is just very easy for the average Shooter to use.
www.unlimitedrange.org
Old 11-01-2015, 12:39 PM

Nice to see you back Lynn, I thought you picked up your toys and went pouting home...

From my cold dead end mill...
Old 11-01-2015, 12:53 PM
Whatever
CGN Contributor

Magnetospeed was at 99.9% accuracy when compared to photographic measurements. Surprising that they compared their accuracy to another product instead of pointing that out.

Old 11-01-2015, 5:28 PM
Calguns Addict

Liber
The ignorance in this thread is making me want to pack up again. No pouting however you can't heard cats.
www.unlimitedrange.org
Old 11-01-2015, 8:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnJr View Post
Liber
The ignorance in this thread is making me want to pack up again. No pouting however you can't heard cats.
Lynn,

Don't be so upset with others, some are trying to learn...but I do know how you feel. Sometimes people don't mean to but spread bad information. I get that type of manure spreading bothers you...

Yes, the internet is kinda like trying to heard cats, heh?

That said, I would like to have a chrono but it seems like most other stuff...the guys who own a specific model/brand are always more than willing to recommend the one they own.

It is almost identical to asking about a reloading press... *gd&r*

From my cold dead end mill...
Old 11-01-2015, 9:28 PM
Whatever
CGN Contributor

Thumbs up

Quote:
Liber
You heard cats or trying to herd cats? Either way, you have a "holier than thou" attitude. Good luck with that on CALGUNS.

Give info or clarification on FUD in this thread, otherwise, keep your generalizations to your self. We may be ignorant ( in your eyes, hot shot), but we aren't stupid.
Old 11-02-2015, 12:28 AM

Quote:
WranglerJohn
I shoot over a 35p in a cave in almost complete darkness and have never experienced any of the issues I have seen posted here except it does take longer to set up.
The MagnetoSpeed cost about $100 less than the Oehler so if it's ease of set up and velocity doesn't matter you can get chronographs for $80 that work just as well.
Not trying to slam a product but it is not even remotely close to an Oehler it is just very easy for the average Shooter to use.
Interesting.

Problem with the Oehler 33 or 35P (the old 33 uses the same skyscreens) is that when one or more skyscreens falls in shade, the imbalance in signal output causes errors. Sometimes the light diffusers can be removed to increase the sensitivity of the photo sensors but this is only a temporary solution and one that still results in errors. This is why I arrive at the range early before shadow from the firing line overhead creeps over the screens. Also, I have to use a firing position where trees will not shade the sensors as the day progresses. This is just the nature of a photodetector chronograph based on visible light without an illumination source. This happens every time, invariably, and can be frustrating. With the screens tethered to a cable there is little latitude in extending them past the shade line. It would really be great for somebody to come up with WiFi or Bluetooth connected screens, and a LED illumination source, better still, ones that automatically turn on when the light level drops or is inconsistent. Until then overcast days are my friend.

The Oehler chronographs are therefore reliable only where they function, and completely useless where the signal drops out. Part of life using public ranges. When I shoot rifles with muzzle brakes, I bring the Oehler, rather than sandblast the Magnetospeed Bayo, although Magnetospeed has designed the newer V-3 to be more blast resistant. Amazing how much stuff comes out of my newest varmint rifle's 6mm BR muzzle brake.

In fact the Magnetospeed product is very rapidly evolving. Now they have a Large Brake Adapter designed especially for the .338 Lapua Magnum and larger, that clamps on to a large diameter barrel via an aluminum fixture. Then there is the XFR adapter that allows data to be downloaded directly to Apple and Android devices. Even better, they have a rail adapter that allows the bayo to be attached to rifles and handguns with a bottom rail. I may be an old guy that can still harness a carriage horse, and as a kid lived in a house that had gaslights and an icebox, and still uses a dumb flip-phone, but I really see the old skyscreen chronograph's going the way of obsolescence. Looks like I'll be spending some money for updated Magnetospeed stuff.
Old 11-02-2015, 9:36 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I have a Magneto Speed ... still haven't taken it out of the box! But the selling point for me was ... strap it onto a pistol (well a railed pistol anyway) at the indoor range and chrono away! Versus getting permission to put the chrono out in the bay.

However, I'm not sure how it can work on a semi-auto without a rail. Maybe they'll make an adapter that clamps onto the trigger gaurd?

Remember to dial 1 before 911.

Forget about stopping power. If you can't hit it, you can't stop it.

There. Are. Four. Lights!
Old 11-02-2015, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Liber
Well, I can't argue that there isn't any ignorance here, but I also think your complete dismissal of the Magnetospeed, that it only performs as well as an $80 Chrony, is a bit of an extreme statement. There is no doubt in my mind that the 35P is still the best chronograph out there, and that the proof channel is necessary to have assurance of an extremely accurate reading from an optical chronograph, but I think the magnetospeed is capable of besting it with the right changes. If you add a parallel channel to the design, pretty cheap really considering the parts necessary, and run the signal processing at a little faster rate, you have the potential for a better system than the 35P. The last concern would be that the magnetospeed changes your barrel harmonics, that's not too hard to get around for everyone except the most accurate of shooters, it's not a difficult thing to change the mounting location of the sensors.

I honestly think it is silly that no company has created a better chronograph than the 35P yet, maybe it just hasn't been necessary since the 35P is accurate enough for even the most disciplined shooters, but I think that there is room for improvement.

I've got a magnetospeed coming soon, I'm going to start experimenting with it. I have the feeling that there are improvements all around on it that could be made.
Old 11-02-2015, 4:48 PM
Calguns Addict

Robert
There are better chronographs than the 35P. Oehler used to make a model 42 with acoustic targets and it will teach you more in one year than a decades worth of shooting. You can find them used for around $2000.

Orange
I already answered why the Oehler is superior but in case you missed it its called the proof channel.
The magnetospeed will give you a larger error but if that isn't important to you it will save you $100.
As Robert has posted you can't shoot groups with the magnetospeed because any time you add weight to the barrels muzzle you change its harmonics. That is how tuners work. I will post some pictures of your typical target rifles. One is a typical 22 a typical 600 yard gun and a typical 50 BMG and the magnetospeed doesn't work on any of them. Four typical target rifles.
www.unlimitedrange.org

Last edited by LynnJr; 12-12-2015 at 5:52 PM..
Old 11-02-2015, 8:49 PM
Whatever
CGN Contributor

I do apologize. I get wound up and it gets personal, when it should not.

Old 11-03-2015, 6:11 AM
Calguns Addict

Orange no worries here just trying to keep people shooting without letting them pay for stuff they don't need.

If this was a what to do thread I would tell them to put there cheap $80 chronographs on a 2x4 mounted inside of 2 buckets bolted together.
By doing that the set up time is seconds and you don't use the shades at all.
I am looking for a stick with all my pictures on it that shows the cave. We need 110 volts for our lights and most ranges won't let you plug in. This range is private.
www.unlimitedrange.org