Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 03-22-2013, 10:31 PM

Default is it possible to do a interstate ppt in california?

I want a mac-10 and a tec-9 I see them for sale here but not very often . How can I go about not just gettin those,but any firearm from a out of state party and is it even possible to do that in ca?
Old 03-22-2013, 11:41 PM
Calguns Addict

Since those are both listed assault weapons, I'd say no.

Also, a "PPT" is a face to face transfer between two individuals.

NRA Life Member
CRPA Life Member
NRA Rifle Instructor
NRA Shotgun Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
DOJ Certified Instructor
Old 03-23-2013, 12:50 AM

I know the tec and mac are off reg. but that's just what made me wonder if you can get firearms shipped had a guy wanting to trade out of state on glock forum can you do this thru ffl for ca approved firearms ?

Last edited by glock_monster; 03-23-2013 at 8:46 AM..
Old 03-23-2013, 9:05 AM

Quote:
I want a mac-10 and a tec-9 I see them for sale here but not very often . How can I go about not just gettin those,
If they're assault weapons by name (Check the Handgun AW chart... they are), what you are seeing are similar to a mac-10 or tec-9 without actually being one (i.e. Off List).

Now, if you've found an off-list pistol, it needs to be either on the roster, or exempt from the roster (or acquired in an exempt fastion).

On Roster: Go to any gun store, order one, or have one shipped and transferred, no problem.

Off roster: You'll need to have the gun put into a single-shot exempt configuration, then you can transfer through any FFL who knows the SSE well enough to not fear it.

- Roster-Exempt transactions (what you're likely seeing offered): A PPT (Face to face private party transfer by CA residents performed at an FFL) doesn't give a crap about the roster.

Quote:
but any firearm from a out of state party and is it even possible to do that in ca?
The gun in question has to be legal in CA first of all, so no Assault weapons. Then the gun, if a handgun, has to be rostered or roster-exempt (covered earlier). If it passes these, you just arrange to have the transfer performed through your local FFL. Don't surprise them with a delivery, or notice that a delivery is en-route; normal transfers have no state mandate, so they can be denied, or rates can be excessive.

There is no "PPT" between CA residents and out of state residents as far as CA cares. It's just a transfer (whether between a private party or a business) and FFLs can charge whatever they like for the cost of doing it.
Old 03-23-2013, 9:21 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munk View Post
If they're assault weapons by name (Check the Handgun AW chart... they are), what you are seeing are similar to a mac-10 or tec-9 without actually being one (i.e. Off List).

Now, if you've found an off-list pistol, it needs to be either on the roster, or exempt from the roster (or acquired in an exempt fastion).

On Roster: Go to any gun store, order one, or have one shipped and transferred, no problem.

Off roster: You'll need to have the gun put into a single-shot exempt configuration, then you can transfer through any FFL who knows the SSE well enough to not fear it.

- Roster-Exempt transactions (what you're likely seeing offered): A PPT (Face to face private party transfer by CA residents performed at an FFL) doesn't give a crap about the roster.

The gun in question has to be legal in CA first of all, so no Assault weapons. Then the gun, if a handgun, has to be rostered or roster-exempt (covered earlier). If it passes these, you just arrange to have the transfer performed through your local FFL. Don't surprise them with a delivery, or notice that a delivery is en-route; normal transfers have no state mandate, so they can be denied, or rates can be excessive.

There is no "PPT" between CA residents and out of state residents as far as CA cares. It's just a transfer (whether between a private party or a business) and FFLs can charge whatever they like for the cost of doing it.
Thanks! That's the exact info I was looking for!
Old 03-23-2013, 9:40 AM
Calguns Addict

What do you do with a semi-auto Mac 10 except stare at it?
Old 03-23-2013, 9:45 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by missiontrails View Post
you make it go bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang reload and repeat
Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man. Jefferson's "Commonplace Book," 1774_1776, quoting from On Crimes and Punishment, by criminologist Cesare Beccaria, 1764
Old 03-23-2013, 2:11 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillincody View Post
you make it go bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang reload and repeat
Lol! That's pretty much what I had in mind lol
Old 03-24-2013, 8:19 AM
Banned

Location: Sage (eastern edge of Temecula Wine Country), Southwest Riverside County

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillincody View Post

I have 2 .45 MAC 10's - an old original Texas Military Armaments Corp model that I've had, and a new MPA top-cocker I just scored at Faith Armory in Temecula.
The MPA was brought into the People's Republic as a single shot and is still in the "Anti-gun politicians and their Bolshevik regime take your money and sit around and jack each other off for 10 days" period, so I have not yet been able to ditch the black plastic single-round magazine well butt-plug and the little piece of crap that sits where the mag release should be.

Neither are on the list of evil, child and puppy killing, banned assault weapons drawn up by Marxist morons who should stick to gay bar glory holes and leave honest law-abiding firearms owners exercising their Constitutional Civil Human Rights along. There are a couple MAC models named on the As-s(holes wrote it)ault gun list, but not mine.

Agree with, but least in my case, ChillinCody needs to add another 20 "bangs" to that statement. Yeah, I have a big box of original WW2 grease gun magazines and as long as the dreaded, mass-murdering threaded barrel feature has been neutered for your and my sefety, it's 30 rounds of pure "stick it up your a.s.s., Mr. and Mrs. Democrat" fun.

Last edited by Marcus von W.; 03-24-2013 at 8:22 AM..
Old 03-24-2013, 10:15 AM

If PPTs are roster-exempt, does that mean my grandfather currently living in Utah could buy something off-roster, send it to my FFL and allow me to pick it up, no questions asked (obviously going through DROS and whatever else is normally involved)?
Old 03-24-2013, 10:22 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by missiontrails View Post
I bought my MAC clone just to slap CA's AWB in the face and to have a gun to use all my $2 32 round sten mags in. It's a POS just like all MACs are. I only use it to show new shooters how stupid our laws are. They end up realizing that they are better off facing a criminal with a MAC while they use a 5 shot revolver than the other way around.
Utah CCW Instructor

Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE

KM6WLV
Old 03-24-2013, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bslaney View Post
If PPTs are roster-exempt, does that mean my grandfather currently living in Utah could buy something off-roster, send it to my FFL and allow me to pick it up, no questions asked (obviously going through DROS and whatever else is normally involved)?
PPT is a face-to-face transfer between two CA residents so "no".

However, since this is between a grandchild/grandparent, the intrafamilial transfer is roster-exempt but will still need to go through an FFL.
Glock 33 357SIG - Sig Sauer P250SC .40/357SIG
Glock 23 - Glock 27 .40
Glock 20 - Glock 29SF 10mm
Desert Eagle MkVII .44
Sig Sauer P220 - Sig Sauer P227R - Sig Sauer 1911R - Glock 30SF - S.A. 1911 Mil Spec .45
Old 03-24-2013, 12:26 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikePenguin View Post
PPT is a face-to-face transfer between two CA residents so "no".
While this is not legally true. In reality, the DOJ has made it so. There is nothing in written law that says a seller in a PPT has to be a CA resident. However, the DOJ has not allowed for such on the PPT forms.
Utah CCW Instructor

Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE

KM6WLV
Old 03-24-2013, 6:03 PM

So then he could send an off-roster handgun to an FFL and everything is kosher?
Old 03-24-2013, 6:29 PM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
So then he could send an off-roster handgun to an FFL and everything is kosher?
He (your grandfather in UT) may indeed give you a gift of a handgun not on the Roster. The FFL needs a statement that the transfer IS a GIFT.

Check with your local FFL to be sure they understand intrafamilial interstate transfers of gifts are exempt from the Roster, and that Federal law requires using the FFL for interstate transfer.

See also the Calguns Foundation Wiki articles on

Intrafamilial transfer - http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/Tr...Family_Members

Interstate transfer - http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/Tr...rms_Interstate

Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

- Marcus Aurelius
Ann Althouse: “Begin with the hypothesis that what they did is what they wanted to do. If they postured that they wanted to do something else, regard that as a con. Work from there. The world will make much more sense.”

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 03-24-2013, 6:33 PM

Alright, thanks for the information.
Old 03-24-2013, 7:50 PM

Good info fellas. I want a mac and a tec9 just cause there evil ! Lol

Last edited by glock_monster; 03-24-2013 at 7:52 PM..
Old 03-25-2013, 9:38 AM

Keep in mind, both of those are banned by name by the AW laws; the tec-9 it's also banned because it has a detachable magazine outside of the grip.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2
Old 03-25-2013, 9:51 AM

Quote:
Keep in mind, both of those are banned by name by the AW laws; the tec-9 it's also banned because it has a detachable magazine outside of the grip.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2
That's what mag-locks/bulletbuttons are for. The hard part is finding someone to make one for a less common gun.
Old 03-25-2013, 6:29 PM

Talking

Quote:
NO CAN NOT DO THAT
Old 03-25-2013, 6:42 PM
Veteran Member

Banned by name = cannot be made compliant. Re-read the stickies and flow-chart people...
Old 03-25-2013, 6:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyc Wid It View Post
Banned by name = cannot be made compliant. Re-read the stickies and flow-chart people...
Im happy with a mac named a m10a1 instead lol