Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 07-20-2013, 8:11 AM
Just Me
CGN Contributor

Default My first LEO interaction while carrying

I've had my LTC for about 18 months now. I have played the situation over and over in my head. I've read forums and asked questions and spoke with LEOS. I wanted to be sure that any interaction with law enforcement while I am carrying goes smoothly and safely.

Last night I rolled up to a DUI checkpoint and began to feel a bit nervous. They were checking every car so I knew I would be talking to someone. The lady deputy put out her hand and I stopped. She informed me that this was a DUI check point and asked for my driver's license.

Now, some people have told me that there would be no reason, at this point, to declare that I am carrying - that it would be unnecessary volunteering of information. But most police officers I have spoken with have told me that the time I am asked for a form of ID is the perfect time to present my LTC.

So I was praying she wouldn't freak out that I had a loaded firearm on my person, and I was therefore visibly nervous. As I am getting my DL out of my wallet, I say, "I have two IDs to show you." and hand her both my DL and LTC. At first she asked if I was LEO, to which I explained, no, that's a conceal carry license.

She said, "Cool! I've never seen one. Most people around here don't have 'em. Good job." Then she hands my IDs back to me and I was on my merry way.

I hope any future interactions go so well.
Mark 16:16
Old 07-20-2013, 8:32 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Why would you even show or tell LEO?

“Silence makes cowards out of the best of men” –Abraham Lincoln

🇺🇸 ⚔️ 🦅

Wounded Knee is the prime example of why the Second Amendment exists, and why we shouldn’t be in such a hurry to surrender our Right to Bear Arms.
Without the Second Amendment we have no way to defend ourselves and our families.
Old 07-20-2013, 8:35 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Where was this? Was she hot?
Utah CCW Instructor

Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE

KM6WLV
Old 07-20-2013, 8:35 AM
Calguns Addict

OP, was the DUI checkpoint in the same county where you reside and were issued the LTC? I'm guessing not if the cop said she had never seen an LTC before. Sounds like something we would hear in Los Angeles.

ETA:

And yeah, what Cannoneer said, hottie cop?

Last edited by bodger; 07-20-2013 at 8:37 AM..
Old 07-20-2013, 8:50 AM
Rattlesnake Hunter
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

WASR10... nice job.

I have been stopped 3 times in the last 10 years I've had a LTC...

First time I did not say anything, showed my ID like he asked, he gave me traffic instructions etc and came to the part "do you have any guns, gernades, rocket launchers in the vehicle...?"

Well... I indicated yes, showed my LTC etc - and I was READ THE RIOT ACT... OMG... Cop YELLED at me...!

The other two times... my LTC with my CDL and... nothing. Both times the Officer was amazingly nice, friendly... laugh etc. Forget that tough-guy 'I don't HAVE to show my LTC... WHY...!?!' - That doesn't work in my world, I can't speak for anyone else.

Best part, not a one of them wrote me a ticket. Not saying LTC is a get outta jail free card NO! Just no tickee

Take care... zj
......GO HERE FOR--► My YouTube Channel
Old 07-20-2013, 9:22 AM

You are legal and police kinda like to know when they are talking to you that you are armed, they aren't much for surprises. Considering what they do, makes sense to me. Good job WASR10

Quote:
An armed society is a polite society. Robert A. Heinlein
Quote:
The right to buy weapons is the right to be free. A. E. van Vogt. (The Weapon Shops of Isher)
Quote:
...all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by... John Masefield
Know our enemy - Leftist Progressives are fascists and traitors to America and deserve lifetime exile at the least.
Old 07-20-2013, 9:28 AM

Glad things went smooth. If I had a LTC, I would prolly do the same.
Just wondering what county issued the LTC and what city the check point was
Old 07-20-2013, 9:35 AM
In Memoriam

Awesome

WTS: 870 Barrel Clamp/Railed Mount

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/...af415fafe8.jpg
Old 07-20-2013, 9:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickrock1 View Post
Why would you even show or tell LEO?
Some counties require it.

My Car Projects

Lateral-G.Net

Last edited by camcojb; 08-15-2021 at 7:22 PM..
Old 07-20-2013, 9:53 AM

Sacramento County requires you to do this.
Old 07-20-2013, 10:06 AM
Just Me
CGN Contributor

Thanks for support, guys! This was in San Bernardino County, city of Yucaipa.
Old 07-20-2013, 1:07 PM

Glad to hear that it went good for you Wasr10. I think I know the Skirt you ran into. I have yet to have a run in with LEO while carrying. knock on wood...
Old 07-20-2013, 1:39 PM

I have been pulled over twice and both times did not inform them that I was carrying. my LTC does not require me to.
Old 07-20-2013, 1:42 PM

I turn around and avoid DUI checkpoints. Barely constitutional except that you can opt out.

You generally run out of time before you run out of ammo.

NRA Member [/FONT***] 
[

Former NRA Member
CGF Member
Old 07-20-2013, 7:23 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by artoaster View Post
I turn around and avoid DUI checkpoints. Barely constitutional except that you can opt out.
I always thought they would pull you over anyway.
Old 07-20-2013, 8:29 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Scot View Post
I have been pulled over twice and both times did not inform them that I was carrying. my LTC does not require me to.
I don't live in California , but ive been stopped several times while carrying. Each time it was a "case by case" determination to reveal my armed status.

For example: cop pulls over my girlfriend. I'm armed, shes not, but she's the driver. Since the citation concerns HER driving and not me, I shut up and just handed over my ID. No problem, no muss.

Next case: I get stopped at an isolated rural highway. The cop's by himself in a state where his nearest backup is maybe 30 minutes away. Best not to give him any reason to be surprised, so despite no legal mandate to do so I inform him of my armed status. At no time was it a problem, and in fact handing over my ID triggered a roadside convo about whether I liked my carry pistol enough to recommend it for his wife.

The 1911 may have been in wars for 100 years, but Masetro Bartolomeo Beretta was arming the world 400 years before John Browning was ever a wet dream.
Old 07-20-2013, 8:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Scot View Post
Its not required but its still not a bad idea to let them know. You never know when it'll get you out of a ticket.

I know a few LEO's & after hearing about what they deal with every day, its the least I can do .

Lee
Old 07-20-2013, 10:51 PM

Its more of a respect thing. Cops would prefer that you tell them that u are carrying. It makes them feel safer and builds a good rapport. If its all legal, you dont have anything to worry about. If a cop pulls an attitude, than thats probably a personal problem.
Old 07-21-2013, 10:46 AM
I need a LIFE!!

It may or may not be required, but it's the smart, courteous, and safest for all involved way to go.

Like the Sergeant who did my final CCW interview stated. " It's not required, but we really appreciate the heads up. If you reach for your wallet and I see a gun, the ball is in my court".

He wasn't threatening, it's just how they saw it.

Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.
Old 07-21-2013, 11:56 AM

I was recently pulled over by a C.H.P officer. I turned of the motor, rolled down the windows, and put my hands on the wheel

"Officer XXXXXX My IA requires me to inform you that I have a CCW and I am currently in possession of a firearm"
Officer asks "where is it?"
"On my right hip ....I'll be happy to hand you my license and permit but it's in my wallet in my back pocket. How would you like me to proceed?"
Officer responds "Thank you for letting me know....go ahead"

5 min later ...no fuss ...no muss.... No ticket!
Old 07-26-2013, 3:47 PM

I just recently got my CCW. I to will do as you 9deuce. a bunch of my buddies are shreiff and CHP and they all say to anouce it right away. they can't see your halo above your head. if I get stopped I will do just what you did...
Old 07-27-2013, 9:16 AM

At the CCW class I took, the instructor said to show both the Driver's License and CCW permit at the same time whenever you get pulled over.
Old 07-27-2013, 9:37 AM
Calguns Addict

Good end result. No need to be nervous but completely understand.
2. PW 800B converted to 800C (12 gauge) with lots of accessories and upgrades
3. Hornady 366 (12 gauge)
Old 07-27-2013, 10:07 AM
Veteran Member

Don't have a ccw myself- unfortunately I live in L.A.- but know some people who do and their stories about interaction with L.E. sound similar.
When an officer stops somebody, they don't know what the situation may be, who they're dealing with, and one of the biggest fears is getting shot.
I would think being respectful and handing over your carry permit would put the officer at ease. At least they would know a gun is present, but also that they are dealing with a person who has jumped through some hoops to prove they are an upstanding, law abiding citizen.
Old 07-27-2013, 10:30 AM
I need a LIFE!!

In Florida the CHL is a state wide issued licensed so it is extreemly easy to validate the license is valid and authentic.

Some departments in so cal- I have been told by officers- will detain someone until they can verify the CHL.

At 11 pm on Friday, they might not be able to call the issuing agency to verify.

You might end up being detained and then issued a receipt for your property.

Once cleared you can claim your property. That is if you were released before they could make the verification Monday at 9 am.

Unless required to disclose the CHL, consider the outcome..

Rule 2 -NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT PREPARED TO DESTROY (including your hands and legs)

Rule 3 -KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET

Rule 4 -BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET AND WHAT IS BEYOND IT
(thanks to Jeff Cooper)
Old 07-27-2013, 11:45 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermosabeach View Post
Some departments in so cal- I have been told by officers- will detain someone until they can verify the CHL.
It would be useful to see if there's anything to corroborate that besides various anecdotes. There've been a lot of stories posted on CalGuns and even stated as supposed fact by LTC instructors regarding this kind of thing (and worse) in San Francisco, yet none of it was ever supported by any information that could be traced to a primary source and verified. These stories get passed around until, after they've been heard enough times, they become accepted as fact even though they're probably not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
Old 07-27-2013, 1:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Bald_Guy View Post
It would be useful to see if there's anything to corroborate that besides various anecdotes. There've been a lot of stories posted on CalGuns and even stated as supposed fact by LTC instructors regarding this kind of thing (and worse) in San Francisco, yet none of it was ever supported by any information that could be traced to a primary source and verified. These stories get passed around until, after they've been heard enough times, they become accepted as fact even though they're probably not.

X2.....i totally agree if you dont know for a fact and not an expert its best not to spread the FUD
Most of the further discussion beyond the clear concise answer is usually people just trying to convince others that the Penal Code/Case Law doesn't really apply because their uncle's friend's cousin's son-in-law works as a gardener for a retired judge from another state who might or might not have said he doesn't think it applies to a certain case that has absolutely nothing to do with the question the OP asked.
Old 08-02-2013, 4:54 PM

CCW issue Kern County does require the holder to inform peace officer of their CCW status whenever coming in contact with LEO.

Old 08-03-2013, 3:26 AM

According to my local SO, CA permits go into AFS once info is sent to CADOJ. That confirms the information in this post (which precedes the information from my SO). Assuming accuracy of the known parties involved (my Sheriff, Gene), verification requires only access to AFS.

The post: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/a.../t-367016.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermosabeach View Post
In Florida the CHL is a state wide issued licensed so it is extreemly easy to validate the license is valid and authentic.

At 11 pm on Friday, they might not be able to call the issuing agency to verify.

You might end up being detained and then issued a receipt for your property.

Once cleared you can claim your property. That is if you were released before they could make the verification Monday at 9 am.

Unless required to disclose the CHL, consider the outcome..
More regimes have been brought, piecemeal, to their knees by what was once called “Irish Democracy”—the silent, dogged resistance, withdrawal, and truculence of millions of ordinary people—than by revolutionary vanguards or rioting mobs.
Old 08-03-2013, 3:47 AM

Here is the real question how and where are you getting CCW permits in Los Angeles, California?!?! I have always been told unless you're a LEO don't even bother applying. What's your reason that you put on your application? I am guessing these are in different counties outside of the LA/SGV/IE areas.
Old 08-03-2013, 6:04 AM
Veteran Member

Default My first LEO interaction while carrying

I'm not seeing where anyone said they had an LTC issued by LA County. San Bernardino and Riverside both issue.

Last edited by Old_Bald_Guy; 08-03-2013 at 6:08 AM..
Old 08-03-2013, 6:16 AM

I was stopped for a headlight out. The wife and I both have permits. When the Deputy came to the window I informed him that both of us had a permit. he thanked me and had his fto come up. This was an obvious training of a new Deputy. All went well and FTO thanked me for advising I had a permit. Then we discussed Sigs what I was carrying and what they are issued.

All in all it was a very positive police encounter. I am sure there will come a time it will turn out different. We live out in the sticks 20 minutes from a town. In a big city it may not be common up here many have permits and all that want them are issued one unless they can not posess.
Old 08-03-2013, 6:19 AM

I think tekrus05 was just ranting.

Personally, I wouldn't live in SGV/LA area even they hand out CCW for free. Too many people and too much traffic. I need space to spread out.

In any case, it's 7AM. I'm off to 5 Dogs to do some shooting!!
Old 08-14-2013, 6:48 PM
Calguns Addict

In some counties it's optional to disclose? I always thought CCW would come up when your name was pulled up on their computer screen, therefore you must always disclose because they would know anyway.......
Old 08-14-2013, 8:26 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekrus05 View Post
Here is the real question how and where are you getting CCW permits in Los Angeles, California?!?! I have always been told unless you're a LEO don't even bother applying. What's your reason that you put on your application? I am guessing these are in different counties outside of the LA/SGV/IE areas.
Some people live in LTC friendly counties and work or visit unfriendly counties. The license is good statewide.
Old 08-14-2013, 8:31 PM

The way it was handled in the OP is how I,would personally do it. I understand both sides of the debate. I don't mind if others prefer to do it the other way.

I find that 90% of the questions asked here have been answered 20 or more years ago by Jeff in hid Gargantuan Gunsite Gossip books.

"Taking a rifle to a gunfight is the equivalent of taking a chainsaw to a knife fight." Lt. Col. Grossman in On Combat (Sec 2, Ch 1)
Old 08-14-2013, 11:37 PM
Just Me
CGN Contributor

OP here, had my SECOND interaction today. CHP pulled me over on the 15 because he thought he saw me texting on my cell phone. Again, when he asked for my driver's license, I said I had two id's to show him and gave him my DL and LTC. He asked if I had my gun on me, I said YES. He asked where it was, I said 8:30, left hip. He asked why I had a ccw, I said, Personal Protection. He then said he pulled me over because he saw me on my cell phone, texting or calling. I said I was checking the time. He stared at my licenses for a minute, then said, "Drive safe, sir. Have a nice day." To which I said, "Thank you" and was on my way. Another positive experience!
Old 08-14-2013, 11:54 PM
Banned

OP- Was she hot?

A few years back I went out with friends and one of them was a female SBCo Deputy and she was pretty cute.
Old 08-18-2013, 2:00 AM

Funny tonight I had to call out the deputies and when I ID'd myself she laughed and thanked me, stating us CCWers were not the people with guns she was worried about. Not to mention, she was HOT! Had a good dealing with her and her partner!
Old 08-18-2013, 2:02 AM

Funny ALL of the interactions I have with LEO's, I have NEVER been checked to verify what weapon I was actually carrying!