Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated Lever action, bolt action or other non gas operated centerfire rifles.

Old 07-17-2015, 5:04 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeX View Post
I find it funny the OP started this thread in the semi auto section… Ruger marketing to the AR crowd is working.

I would have preferred if they went with a traditional rifle stock with a DBM... I really don't like pistols grips for bench or prone work... that said, I have a feeling this is going to be a hot seller. Its hard not to like it, especially at that price.
Honest mistake. And no im not that guy sitting in marketing dept. cubicle at Ruger

Mod, please merge thread if you see fit. Sorry guys
Old 07-17-2015, 5:06 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHawk View Post
I'd go for the 6.5
That's what I'd wait for.
Old 07-17-2015, 5:07 PM
Calguns Addict

I was just making a joke for those who don’t get out of the semi forum much…
Old 07-17-2015, 5:09 PM
Veteran Member

So, at first I saw this and thought "Meh, that thing is ugly, ridiculous and useless for anything I do".

Then I saw they chambered it in a 26 inch .243 and started thinking "Self, that could be kind of fun, you've been kicking around the idea of making or buying a rifle that would let you play super sniper, something like this could be fun instead of picking up a good peep sighted .22".

Then I saw the folding stock and thought "Self, that's pretty neato, I don't know why it's neato, but I think that's pretty neato".

But then I started thinking "Self, that thing is pretty ugly, and really you're not a 'chassis' kind of person".

I also started thinking "Self, you don't shoot much past 500 yards anyway, and you've been hitting your 8 inch plate at 500 yards with pretty boring regularity with your .223. Maybe you should buy a 4 inch plate instead of a new rifle".

But then I started thinking "Self, instead of buying a smaller steel plate, why not just walk the 8 inch one further back? You know you can probably walk it out to at least 600 if not 700 yards at the place you shoot".

Damnit, talked myself out of yet another gun, eschewing the expenditure of money only to gain more practice and exercise.

Last edited by NapalmCheese; 07-17-2015 at 5:12 PM..
Old 07-17-2015, 5:24 PM
Veteran Member

Price tag?
Old 07-17-2015, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munny$hot View Post
That's what I'd wait for.
Yeah, I'd wait for the 6.5 also.
Old 07-17-2015, 5:36 PM

I'd be more interested if it was available in 308 with a 24" heavy threaded barrel.
Old 07-17-2015, 5:39 PM

Wow. Ruger went with something that people would want at a price one could love. Im impressed.
Old 07-17-2015, 5:42 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scobun View Post
Dang, at that price can't really pass up a 6.5.

Does this thing take AR barrels? I'm confused about the whole being able to take any AR handguard. That would imply taking a barrel nut for an AR...which means the barrel too? If it is that modular, hell yes.
According to the review, it does use an AR type barrel nut, but the barrel it's self would not be. Says it can be barrel changed with AR tools. So still quite modular, but it would likely require a Ruger barrel or a custom barrel.
Old 07-17-2015, 6:10 PM
@ the Dark End of the Bar
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadre View Post
Price tag?

$999 at Turners
Old 07-17-2015, 6:20 PM
Made in the USA

Location: Free in AZ!!! yes, it's worth the Pain to make it happen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpravada View Post
I'm going to get one if it checks out better than the mossy mvp
I believe its build on Ruger American action which is much smoother and seems much better quality (to my non-expert handling) - although Im comparing it to the 5.56 MVP, I hear the 308 MVP action is better than the sloppy 5.56

At twice the price they (Ruger Precision and MVP) really aren't comparable anyway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBDamned
I know something about a lot of things and a lot about some things, but I don't know everything about anything.
-----------------------------
"RIGHT POWER!"
http://i1329.photobucket.com/albums/w558/LBDamneds/Misc/III_zpsofbisb36.jpg
-----------------------------
Dignity, Respect, Purpose - Live It!
Old 07-17-2015, 6:35 PM

For better or worse, pistol grips are in. Look at how AI has transitioned to an all pistol grip line for example.
Old 07-17-2015, 6:38 PM

Deleted dupe

Last edited by jtake; 07-17-2015 at 6:38 PM.. Reason: Dupe
Old 07-17-2015, 6:58 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Am I the only one who would prefer a tube hand guard and save $100?
Old 07-17-2015, 7:25 PM

Looks very interesting. I'll wait until the smoke settles and more real world reviews start rolling in. At $1k it will probably sell like hot cakes.
Old 07-17-2015, 7:36 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vliberatore View Post
Am I the only one who would prefer a tube hand guard and save $100?
nope. Same here.
Old 07-17-2015, 7:43 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Toast View Post
Not sure whether "Ruger" and "Precision" should be in the same sentence let alone the same title though.
Ruger quality is in the toilet. They have had layoffs and stopped their retirement plan. Unhappy workers do not care what they shove out the door and all the beancounters care about is the bottom line not customer satisfaction. I wouldn't buy any Ruger built in the last 5 years let alone a new product. Their last big fail was the redesigned (to make the parts cheaper and easier to mfg) Red Label shotgun. Lasted about six months before they pulled it from the catalog.
Old 07-17-2015, 8:51 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I doubt it’s a standard AR barrel… The action and bolt seems to be based off the Ruger American which would mean a different style “barrel extension”

I’d like to see someone like Randall tear one apart and critique it…
Bring one over.
I'll tear it apart.

I have a standard ruger american, a Rem 783, a Weatherby Vanguard (Howa 1500) and soon a Tikka T3 here for comparisons.

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Glock, XD and M&P pistols, Benelli and Remington shotguns: barrel, sight, trigger and receiver work.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and weekend appointments available.
Founding member of the CAPRC
Old 07-17-2015, 8:57 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
Bring one over.
I'll tear it apart.

I have a standard ruger american, a Rem 783, a Weatherby Vanguard (Howa 1500) and soon a Tikka T3 here for comparisons.
Maybe I will... one of my vendors cut me a pretty good deal on one... im considering getting the 6.5 Creedmoor purely out of curiosity now.

Might be a good time for you to barrel up that 6x45 for my R700 while ur at it...
Old 07-17-2015, 9:13 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Maybe I will... one of my vendors cut me a pretty good deal on one... im considering getting the 6.5 Creedmoor purely out of curiosity now.

Might be a good time for you to barrel up that 6x45 for my R700 while ur at it...
Old 07-17-2015, 9:29 PM
CGSSA Leader

Quote:
Bring one over.
I'll tear it apart.

Looking forward to your comments.

Personally I'd lean towards a T3 Sporter, but I give Ruger credit -- that looks like a pretty useful stick out of the box.

Ask me about Appleseed! Send a PM or see me in the Appleseed subforum.
Old 07-17-2015, 9:40 PM

My predator 6.5 had .009 too much head space, had to make a barrel wrench to loosen the barrel nut, buy the headspace gages. I finally got it fixed, I hope the LRP feeds better the crappy rotary mag

Last edited by CptDan; 07-17-2015 at 9:46 PM..
Old 07-17-2015, 9:57 PM
Internet Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtake View Post
For better or worse, pistol grips are in. Look at how AI has transitioned to an all pistol grip line for example.
That is false, AI does not have any grip as part of its stock. The pistol grip add-on is no part of the structure. It still looks like this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMP View Post
AI went with all engineering, no frills on their stock. Their engineers did not need to work around today's required appearance of an AR-15.

Quote:
I doubt it’s a standard AR barrel… The action and bolt seems to be based off the Ruger American which would mean a different style “barrel extension”
I do not understand the rage of these barrel nut guns, and the AR one, no way, I like my gun screwed in, not pop in. It's gotta be stronger with a better hold if it is screwed in over the right surface area, I would imagine.
Quote:

Why don't you just get a 6.5CD on one of your R700s; I am confident that you'll be more pleased about the result. Personally, instead of 6.5CD, I'd go 260 Remington Ackley Improved. I am thinking about that chambering for my next 6.5, which will probably be in several years at the rate I use my 6.5mm barrel. Ironically, it's the most accurate rifle in my quiver.

If you are getting an R700 6x45, I am assuming you are building off of a .223. If you are going to do that, I'd say it is time to get yourself a new standard bolt and have it trued and have a stainless recoil lug pinned to the receiver, then you can switch barrels, and your old .223 bolt will still work for 6x45. But, you need your bolt, Recoil lug, and receiver at once to get it done. That's what I'd do as it seems like it would save you money and be worth it in the long run, unless you want to accumulate too many guns you don't shoot.
Old 07-17-2015, 10:24 PM

Bought one :-) we'll see how she does
Old 07-17-2015, 10:26 PM

Found exploded parts view on SH for anyone interested.

Old 07-17-2015, 10:33 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephewc View Post
Found exploded parts view on SH for anyone interested.

So it's a barrel nut action like a Savage, just with a special barrel nut that happens to take an AR barrel nut wrench.

Glock, XD and M&P pistols, Benelli and Remington shotguns: barrel, sight, trigger and receiver work.
Old 07-17-2015, 10:34 PM

I played with one at turners today. Ergonomically it's an AR15. Quality looks good, but it's heavy, it's a bench gun for sure.

Now I need to sell something.
Old 07-17-2015, 10:41 PM

Quote:
So it's a barrel nut action like a Savage, just with a special barrel nut that happens to take an AR barrel nut wrench.
It's actually a dual nut design; one nut acts as a jam nut to secure the properly headspaced barrel to the action, and another serves as the mounting surface for AR15-compatible handguards.

The real trick would be if that second nut is swappable with dedicated barrel nuts for handguards like the BCM KMR, Geissele Mk series, Centurion CMR, etc. I'm guessing handguards like the Daniel Defense SLIM rail will not work as they require part of the handguard mounting system to overlap the AR upper receiver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chairmnofthboard View Post
I played with one at turners today. Ergonomically it's an AR15. Quality looks good, but it's heavy, it's a bench gun for sure.
Shooters compete in PRS-type tactical matches all the time with rifles that weigh more than this one. Some of the positional shooting they do is pretty intense and they are often running from station to station against the clock. This rifle is probably too heavy to hunt with, but it is definitely capable of more than just shooting off the bench.

Last edited by caponord; 07-17-2015 at 10:45 PM..
Old 07-17-2015, 11:13 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:

Here's an AR-15 service rifle, like many others it likely gets shot from positions that don't involve a bench.

They can weigh anywhere from 10-15 pounds or more. The ruger precision rifles are listed at 9.7, 10.6, and 11 pounds(presumably without a mag or optic). I don't see how being heavier than a hunting rifle means the ruger precision rifle owners are going to be glued to a bench.
Old 07-17-2015, 11:15 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by caponord View Post
It's actually a dual nut design; one nut acts as a jam nut to secure the properly headspaced barrel to the action, and another serves as the mounting surface for AR15-compatible handguards.

The real trick would be if that second nut is swappable with dedicated barrel nuts for handguards like the BCM KMR, Geissele Mk series, Centurion CMR, etc. I'm guessing handguards like the Daniel Defense SLIM rail will not work as they require part of the handguard mounting system to overlap the AR upper receiver..

The jam nut looks to have AR receiver threads on the outside of it.
It would be no problem to remove any of the indexing tabs that normally overlap an AR receiver by simply milling them off the habdguard.

Old 07-17-2015, 11:47 PM

concept looks good... now we'll have to see if execution was good. sadly my hopes aren't super high in that dept. this despite my observations that no matter how rough it may be around the edges or how much it may feel like materials, production, manufacturing, and finishing was penny pinched, ruger somehow almost always puts out reliable and functional guns.
Old 07-18-2015, 3:44 AM

One can only wonder if a pistol version will become available in the future.
Old 07-18-2015, 4:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calshipbuilder View Post
Bought one :-) we'll see how she does
Range report soon please
Old 07-18-2015, 8:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caponord View Post

The real trick would be if that second nut is swappable with dedicated barrel nuts for handguards like the BCM KMR, Geissele Mk series, Centurion CMR, etc. I'm guessing handguards like the Daniel Defense SLIM rail will not work as they require part of the handguard mounting system to overlap the AR upper receiver.

Shooters compete in PRS-type tactical matches all the time with rifles that weigh more than this one. Some of the positional shooting they do is pretty intense and they are often running from station to station against the clock. This rifle is probably too heavy to hunt with, but it is definitely capable of more than just shooting off the bench.
My R700 is heavier and I hump it around just fine. I'm just saying, you can hump it all you want, but it is heavy.

For the money, . It seems like a great rifle. I'll probably get one to try it out......as soon as I sell something...hmmm.
Old 07-18-2015, 8:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc1138 View Post
Here's an AR-15 service rifle, like many others it likely gets shot from positions that don't involve a bench.

They can weigh anywhere from 10-15 pounds or more. The ruger precision rifles are listed at 9.7, 10.6, and 11 pounds(presumably without a mag or optic). I don't see how being heavier than a hunting rifle means the ruger precision rifle owners are going to be glued to a bench.
I never said glued to a bench. Now did I?
Old 07-18-2015, 8:15 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I never said glued to a bench. Now did I?
You're right, you didn't state anything about actually using glue

Quote:

Except as I pointed out, the weight does not necessarily make it a "bench gun for sure" and even used an AR-15 as an example of something that can weigh more than the ruger rifle without being a "bench gun for sure".
Old 07-18-2015, 9:14 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:

Old 07-18-2015, 9:55 AM
Internet Warrior

So, there's a Remage, now we have an ARage too. The barrel nut always sells.
Old 07-18-2015, 9:56 AM

Quote:

Except as I pointed out, the weight does not necessarily make it a "bench gun for sure" and even used an AR-15 as an example of something that can weigh more than the ruger rifle without being a "bench gun for sure".
By that logic you can use a Porsche 998 as a school bus, But there's probably better yellow vehicles that you can use for that.

Old 07-18-2015, 10:08 AM

Quote:

An M24 weights 11 pounds with no scope unloaded.
I think I am going to pick up the .308 at 9.7 pounds. I'll probably do a lot of bench shooting but think humping it won't be a problem.

Bodyguard .380 FS/T