Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 09-18-2009, 11:23 PM
Banned

Default Does size really matter?

No...this is not a dirty question!! I'm in the market for a 1911 and I really like the full size frame with the 5 in. barrel. I'm also tossing around the idea of a 1911 with a 4 in. barrel. If I'm going to get my CCW, how much more difficult is it to conceal a 1911 with a 5 in. barrel compared to a 4 in. barrel? Does that 1 in. make a big difference? Should I go with the full size frame? I have never carry a concealed weapon and would love to get some advice from the experts.

Thanks,

Knappy
Old 09-19-2009, 12:37 AM

Alright, I'll bite. Been a long time since I posted, so take my opinion for what it's worth, only an opinion.

I have a full-size 1911 that does me just fine, but for CCW, it wouldn't be my first choice, unless you don't mind it sometimes printing. If and only if, CCW and having it be a 1911 are your deciding factors, my suggestion is a "reliable" 4 or 4.25 inch barreled 1911. If you want it to be easier on your range of motion without printing, and you don't mind perhaps giving up a round in terms of mag capacity, then that's the way to go.

Although a full-sized can give you better long range accuracy (depending on your skill), for CCW purposes, long range accuracy is not usually a factor. You can argue that if you would ever need it to protect your person or your family on the streets, it will likely happen in close quarters.

There you have it. Only one guy's opinion. Stay Safe.

Last edited by the_donald_; 09-19-2009 at 12:48 AM..
Old 09-19-2009, 8:13 AM

Here is my opinion. The 5" has a longer sight radius. That helps in getting a better sight picture. The 4" of course is 1" shorter but is MUCH easier to conceal. I carried a full size 1911 for years. It was heavy and hard to conceal well. Went to a 4" Commander and I carried it all the time because it was lighter and easier to conceal. Then the Glocks came out,the rest is history. There are lots of good 1911's that are not full size. My opinion.
Old 09-19-2009, 8:21 AM

The cartridge was designed with the 5 in barrel in mind... it works well for the most part... the commander also works well but IMHO a little more persnickity (sp?)... the shorty guns have most of the bugs worked out and while much more picky seem to work well... so it boils down to the 5 in barrel milks the most velocity outa the round.. the 3 in guns less so... the 5 in seems most reliable.. with a good holster a 5 in gun is not hard to conceal on a 6 ft frame of reasonable size... caveat being a good holster... I, after 30 years of carryin' various 1911's, have come to prefer the TTGunleather IWB and carry a steel frame 5 in gun most of the time off duty.. on duty is tupperware...off duty a Volkmann custom 5 in gun....

I also use the 5 in gun to teach with... in our school we see about a 1,000 (avg. varies year to year) different guns a year and included in that is alot of 1911's... the 5 in guns are less trouble on the range... of the 3 in guns we see mostly kimbers (I have one and it is a safe queen for the most part... has a 1,000 rounds or so through and it runs ok) with a smattering of Springers and others like Llama's, Para's etc... again...the 5 in guns seem to be generally trouble free if they are taken care of and are in generally stock condition or at least not worked on by a "gunsmith" of questionable skills...

remember the gun is supposed to be comforting not comfortable... but the more comfortable it is, the more likely you are to carry it...
YMMV... buy quality whatever you buy
Greebo, as a matter of feline pride, would attempt to fight or rape absolutely anything, up to and including a four-horse logging wagon. Ferocious dogs would whine and hide under the stairs when Greebo sauntered down the street. Foxes Kept away from the village. Wolves made a detour. Terry Pratchett

Last edited by El Gato; 09-19-2009 at 8:26 AM..
Old 09-19-2009, 8:44 AM

I like my USP .40 Compact and as far as aiming, I don't think you will have time to aim, point-in and shoot. Practicing the point-in and shoot accuracy with your gun is critical and should be practiced often. You should check the natural aim of a handgun before you buy it, a handgun should become an extension of your forearm. The HK USP was a match made in heaven for me, I tried Glocks, Smiths, XDs, 1911s, and none fit me better than the HK USP. Wife wasn’t too happy about the price tag.
Orange CA 92869
714-532-4867
T - F (11 - 7pm) Sat (10 - 5pm) - closed Sun & Mon
Old 09-19-2009, 9:22 AM
I need a LIFE!!

If you use an IWB holster a 4" or 5" barrel doesn't make a difference with concealment.

I carried a 5" 1911 concealed for years (issued weapon) and my biggest complaint was the weight. A steel framed 1911 with 9 rounds is around 4 Lbs and after 10-12 hours that thing got heavy, even with a 1.5" wide belt it pulls on you. My S&W M&P Compact is less than half that weight and it makes a big difference at the end of the day. The 1911 was designed with the 5" barrel for maximum effectiveness with the 230 grain 850 fps load of the times but with the newer high velocity 180-200 grain loads the 4" barrel works great.

One rifle, one planet, Holland's 375

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/Fjold/member8325.png

Life Member NRA, CRPA and SAF

Last edited by Fjold; 09-19-2009 at 9:25 AM..
Old 09-19-2009, 9:24 AM
Banned

I really appreciate the advice and opinions from you all. I have a 5 in. 1911 right now but it's a cheap, low end one. I was debating about replacing the 5 in. or buying another one in 4 in. I'll have to look at holster selection and just make a decision and stick with it. Thank you so much for the help everyone!!

Knappy
Old 09-19-2009, 9:30 AM
Veteran Member

Have carried a Government model. Currently carry a Commander 10mm. The grip is the difficult part to conceal on certain body types. I'm skinny so I bobtailed my 1911 to aide in concealment.

A GM doesn't conceal any better or worse than a commander, especially for IWB.

I wear this OWB in Aker Flatsider. Aluminum frame 10mm bobtailed. 35.1oz loaded.

Last edited by freakshow10mm; 09-19-2009 at 9:33 AM..
Old 09-19-2009, 9:33 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I have a few full sized 1911s, including a Kimber Classic II. I don't shoot them much because my go to 1911 is a 4" Kimber Custom CDP II. I am far more comfortable with the alloy frame, 4" barrel and full sized grip of this gun than my other Kimber or any of my other 1911s. This is probably because I've shot the hell out of it! I figured that if I was going to use it as a carry gun, shooting it should come second nature. So, I've put +30,000 rounds through it as opposed to just a few thousand through my other ones. I think the familiarity I have with the gun more than compensates for the loss of 1" of site radius.
Old 09-19-2009, 9:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSACANNONEER View Post
I think the familiarity I have with the gun more than compensates for the loss of 1" of site radius.
You can say that again....

Quote:
I think the familiarity I have with the gun more than compensates for the loss of 1" of site radius.

and again....anyone listening out there...get a pen and paper and write this down ... this is the most important point of all...

Quote:
and
Clint Smith's advice to me: "get a really good 1911 and shoot the crap out of it"
Greebo, as a matter of feline pride, would attempt to fight or rape absolutely anything, up to and including a four-horse logging wagon. Ferocious dogs would whine and hide under the stairs when Greebo sauntered down the street. Foxes Kept away from the village. Wolves made a detour. Terry Pratchett
Old 09-19-2009, 3:11 PM
Veteran Member

Now, admittedly I am not an expert on CC. However from my limited experience.....
Length of the barrel almost doesn't matter. 4", 5", 3" - good holster will take care of it.
What matters is size of grip and weight. But weight can be mitigated with really good holster and really good belt. Size of the grip - can't. Size of the grip is the same in this particular case, difference in weight is probably negligible.

So, IMHO - 4" 1911 5" 1911 - all the same when it comes to CC.

EDIT 2020: To be fair that seems to apply to many Westerners also.
Old 09-19-2009, 11:57 PM
Banned

Once again, thanks everyone.
Old 09-20-2009, 4:15 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I think the familiarity I have with the .....more than compensates for the loss of 1" ........
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Gato View Post
You can say that again....

and again....
Every time I tell my wife this, she doesn't believe me. Can you please call her up and tell her that I'm correct.
Old 09-20-2009, 5:53 PM

Quote:
I don't shoot them much because my go to 1911 is a 4" Kimber Custom CDP II. I am far more comfortable with the alloy frame, 4" barrel and full sized grip of this gun than my other Kimber or any of my other 1911s.
This is what I carry also. The alloy frame makes it light enough and the 4" barrel makes it very easy to conceal.
Regarding the loss of 1" for sighting, I don't really have to line up the sights anymore. With enough practice, they just line up automatically as I extend. Now when I shoot my wifes XD, I have to slow down and line them up.
You have to practice shooting what you will carry (alot).
BTW, I usually carry in a Crossbreed IWB.

NRA Certified Instructor
NRA Law Enforcement Instructor
http://www.murrietatactical.com

Last edited by SDI; 09-20-2009 at 8:54 PM..