Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Southern California Chapters > L.A. Chapter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2014, 1:41 PM

Yeah it's pretty annoying. Whenever I'm picking up my brass I always feel like they're watching me like a hawk to make sure I don't pick up other people's brass. I have to constantly watch my back, and if I see them coming my way I will quickly pick up my brass with my brass wizard. This thing is awesome: http://www.brownells.com/shooting-ac...prod45264.aspx
Old 02-09-2014, 10:49 PM
CGSSA Director
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Damn, sorry to hear about your poor experience. I've shot at Angeles several times, and I have never had any issues. I do have to say that I typically go during the week, or early in the morning on a weekend as some of the walkons are crazy, and I don't want to be near any of that madness.
Old 02-11-2014, 1:50 AM
Veteran Member

I've had brass problems at Angeles. I rarely bring my semi's now. Even with my bolts I load one round at a time which sucks because then I'm changing my position each shot.

Most of the RO's there are really cool but, the brass vultures takes some of the fun out it since you have to be distracted by grabbing your brass every few shots instead of concentrating on just throwing rounds down range.

Btw, heard about that grandpa fiasco at the 300 yard line from someone who was there. That's just not how to treat people period let alone elderly customers.
“Deadly assault weapons have no place in Massachusetts. These guns are not made for recreation or self-defense. They are instruments of destruction with the sole purpose of hunting down and killing people.” Mitt Romney 2012 Republican Presidential Candidate
Old 02-11-2014, 7:10 PM

I shoot at Angeles about 4 to five times a month and I have never had any problems! I have heard the R.Os. ask people to pick up their brass and are usually ignored and then the R.O. usually ends up sweeping it up and tossing it
in the bucket. if your leaving 100 to 200 cases on the ground before you pick them up, your the problem!!
Old 02-11-2014, 7:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingChiron View Post
lol, I think I know who you're talking about. He's in his early 20's, shaved head, always wears those Oakley M frame shades with Fire Iridium lenses? ya, he has an attitude sometimes. but generally speaking, as long as you keep your area and bench clean and clear, the RO's don't bother you. remember, it's safety too. just like in the construction site, keep a clean work area to avoid accidents
Ah yes...Mr. Frame. Many a Calgunner has had a run-in with him for one stupid reason or another.

And here's the thread about him - http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=859472

Last edited by cwilliams; 02-11-2014 at 7:21 PM..
Old 02-11-2014, 9:20 PM
CGSSA Associate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalGunny View Post
Between brass nazis at Angeles and the super tiny and crowded oar tree rifle range (along with their customer service sucking since I worked there in 01') I don't shoot much anymore.

Then ammo availability and price is still ridiculous and if it's steel cased or magnetic you can't use it which kills those of us on a very tight fixed income. I'm just done with it.

You know for all of us SUPPOSEDLY being on the same side in the fight to retain the ability to shoot in this awful state you would think they would be more flexible and welcoming. Screw both ranges, I just about give up
The customer service at Oak Tree is exceptional and they've worked with me quite a few times on special orders that some stores would have ignored me. The two ex-turners employees are learning how customer service works (I hope).

A problem with the steel core is that it destroys the targets at Oak Tree or starts fires at Angeles, and yes, I've been there when a fire was started.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nose Nuggets View Post
5 guys, hot damn thats some good eat'n.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyromensch View Post
damn, i duped my own thread...first time i did a poll
Old 02-12-2014, 3:33 AM
Captain of the Gun Boat
CGN Contributor

Last year, November 28 was the last fire I heard about at Angeles

Sent from my cell phone, because I'm a Calguns addict
-Ronald Reagan

*Disclaimer: I'm no lawyer. So don't take my advice as counsel.
Old 02-12-2014, 4:01 AM
Calguns Addict

If you don't like ASR policies,don't go,very simple solution. Pete
NRA LIFE (1974) Psalm 46:10
I had a commission/USNR from 71-77 but never consider myself a Vet MyDad+4uncles/USMC/WW2/Korea/Vietnam. My Grandfather US Army WW1. No heroes,just regular folks--they were Veterans.

“Do not be deceived.God is not mocked. You will reap what you sow.”
Old 02-12-2014, 6:35 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by heidad01 View Post
Went to the angeles range today with a group of calgunners and had a great time except for dealing with some kid who was the RO . We were shooting steels, I had a pile of brass (next to me) that i swept up and made ready for me to pick up. I had also mentioned it to 3 different ROs that they do not need to sweep my area, I am keeping the brass. I turn around and see the RO scooped up my pile of brass (about 200 to 250). I tell him again that I am keeping the brass. He dumps about 50 cases out of his scooper and tells me ( with a nasty tone and attitude) that if you are keeping the brass you are supposed to pick it up!!!! Well I was trying to do that genious, I did not say that but sure felt like saying it.
Second time this happend to me at Angeles Range. Also, a couple of others mentioned that they remember several times having problems with the same RO or others. Later I found out that the ROs hustle the brass hard as they can because it is part of their pay/compensation plan!! this was when one of us aske the RO if he makes money off the brass and the guy got really nast then and mumbled "yes"
The whole pile of brass is hardly worth anything but getting ripped off and told that it was my fault ruined the afternoon for me. The others in the group were certaily not happy either.
Have you had your nice range experience ruined by one of the ROs at Angeles shooting range or does this only happen to me and my friends??
Shouldn't happen and I'm not blaming you; but I try to pick it up often so if they sweep behind my back while I'm shooting, there will not be much for them to get.

But I adopted doing it in response to their behaviors. But it never got to a ruining my day thing.

Collecting it a lot probably also sends off that your obsessive and nutty about your brass... ergo not worth messing with.

Last edited by sl0re10; 02-12-2014 at 6:39 AM..
Old 02-12-2014, 8:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntoForever View Post
The customer service at Oak Tree is exceptional

A problem with the steel core is that it destroys the targets at Oak Tree or starts fires at Angeles, and yes, I've been there when a fire was started.
Yes it is!

The steel core does, and when you get some idiot who buys a round or 2 of 50 BMG and are told only shoot at paper at the 100 line and they go and shoot the steel at 50 with it.
Old 02-13-2014, 7:08 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM4spd View Post
If you don't like ASR policies,don't go,very simple solution. Pete
The problem isn't necessarily their policy it's the reports of some ROs standing behind people and snagging their brass as they shoot one mag as has been reported in this thread. It's also a problem that an RO threw a customers target around the range while demeaning elderly man as has been reported in numerous threads. And everyone knows it's not as simple as don't go. It's not McDonalds with a long distance range on every corner.

Last edited by 2nd Mass; 02-13-2014 at 7:12 PM..
Old 02-13-2014, 8:08 PM

Maybe the RO believes in eye protection and only carries one pair of glasses.
Old 02-13-2014, 10:23 PM

If they grab your brass why not just take it out of the bucket? What are theygoing to do fight you? Call the police? Ban you? Unlikely on all counts. I've pulled my brass out of the bucket before.
Old 02-13-2014, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrayoneone View Post
If they grab your brass why not just take it out of the bucket? What are theygoing to do fight you? Call the police? Ban you? Unlikely on all counts. I've pulled my brass out of the bucket before.
how do you tell which brass is yours?
Old 02-14-2014, 12:22 AM

Quote:
I've seen a few RO's have mild aneurysms when that happens

The materials and information contained above in this post are for informational purposes only and not for the purpose of providing legal advice. No attorney-client relationship is created by any interaction with the author of such materials and information.
Old 02-14-2014, 1:44 AM

Well with the new MICROSTAMPING we can tell who's Brass is who's at the range now...

Old 02-14-2014, 6:48 AM
Veteran Member

I suppose this is why I go to Wes Thompson's range in Piru. No problem or hassle there. Mike runs a real casual but safe operation. Great place to shoot.
Old 02-14-2014, 8:47 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I went to Angeles back in the 1990's. The RSO's were major league aholes back then.

I've found friendlier venues here in San Diego.
Old 02-14-2014, 10:18 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
The problem is that the ROs also take the buckets out of the line pretty quickly, so they can retain control of the brass. And yes, I have seen ROs yell at people for grabbing their own brass from the buckets too.

I would rather shoot and not worry about picking up my brass constantly, and look over my shoulder for the ROs who feel that they're entitled to our personal property, so I would rather choose to shoot elsewhere than at Angeles if I can help it.

Why bother with the environment when there are alternative places to shoot? We have to show their management that because of the behavior of certain ROs that they are losing business as a result. This shouldn't be accepted or tolerated, honestly.
Old 02-14-2014, 11:25 AM

Just gotta file a few reports to get him reprimanded.
1-2 bad ROs (out of dozens) is giving a nice place to shoot a bad name.
Old 02-17-2014, 1:30 AM
Internet Warrior
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I have never once had a problem.

If you do have an issue, mark your brass with a sharpie, problem solved. Or, just don't go.
Old 02-18-2014, 4:57 PM
Veteran Member

Not to mention that their ammo prices are absolutely ridiculous! I was there over the weekend and wanted to buy a box of .308 175gr FGMM and it was $52! $52!!!! Needless to say, I didn't buy the ammo and I promised myself that I'd never buy ammo from there again.
Old 02-18-2014, 10:41 PM
Captain of the Gun Boat
CGN Contributor

I'd say the ammo prices are a sign of the times. I still like the range though
-Ronald Reagan

Old 03-04-2014, 1:56 PM

i was just there on thursday last week 1/27 and saw the tall guy with glasses. he was walking around not wanting to be there. after 2 hours another ro walked up to him and said so n so is here and the glasses guy says finnally i can leave. At noon? he looks like a douche. the other ro's never looked at my brass,well since we were shooting bolts but there ignored us and were looking at some guys gf all day lol
Old 03-06-2014, 12:31 AM
Captain of the Gun Boat
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by socal_gunner View Post
i was just there on thursday last week 1/27 and saw the tall guy with glasses. he was walking around not wanting to be there. after 2 hours another ro walked up to him and said so n so is here and the glasses guy says finnally i can leave. At noon? he looks like a douche. the other ro's never looked at my brass,well since we were shooting bolts but there ignored us and were looking at some guys gf all day lol
lol, some of those guys are still teenagers. Honestly, I'd be looking at a hot girl too
-Ronald Reagan

Old 03-16-2014, 9:01 PM

I don't reload so I havent had that type of problem

..but yea in general the guys are pricks... I can understand why, their demise is always looming over them... all it takes is one noob to screw up and they could be the victim of the screw up..

The last time I went the old man RO thats on the pistol range hastled me about keeping the action open WHEN I JUST PULLED IT OUT OF MY RANGE BAG (I was at the firing bench and pulled it out pointing downrange and just had set it down pointing down range)... at that point I was pissed and he could tell... I called him out on his BS and he said "I'm sorry I'm sorry I realize you just pulled it out of your bag" ... I understand his concern but damn.
Old 03-16-2014, 9:14 PM

Compared to other places like burro canyon they do lack a bit in their manners but small price to pay since I live close to the range Angeles range.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 03-18-2014, 11:05 PM

I went there Monday with a buddy to break in my new AR and got whined at for picking up my own brass while the range was hot and during cease fire (how am I supposed to grab any of it?) and for grabbing another guy's brass who had left even though he took some of mine. They seem to be brass hungry there, but my only other option is to go to Oak Tree and pay a $20 rifle range fee for a tiny rifle range. A Place To Shoot is a nice range but too far for me to justify going there on a regular basis.
Ruger 10/22 Takedown NRA Edition

More to come...
Old 03-24-2014, 11:49 PM
Vendor/Retailer

I've actually never had that problem at Angeles, even the one guy everyone seems to have beef with is nice to me.

I mostly shoot bolt action though and I'm pretty sure they've watched me slowly open the bolt on my rifles so I don't have my brass go to far - I think that gave them the message that I'm serious about my brass lol.

Sucks that the price has gone up. I haven't been shooting in months, but my next trip out will be with a friend who has access to their private ranges where we can do basically anything we want
Old 03-25-2014, 8:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNoMag View Post

The last time I went the old man RO thats on the pistol range hastled me about keeping the action open WHEN I JUST PULLED IT OUT OF MY RANGE BAG (I was at the firing bench and pulled it out pointing downrange and just had set it down pointing down range)... at that point I was pissed and he could tell... I called him out on his BS and he said "I'm sorry I'm sorry I realize you just pulled it out of your bag" ... I understand his concern but damn.

My uncle had one of them try and ask him to open the action on his lever action Winchester as he was putting it back in the case. Once the RO realized what he was doing, he embarrassingly apologized and never bothered us the rest of our time there. Nice guy though, just a little over eager.
Old 04-07-2014, 6:36 PM
Veteran Member

The ROd are kind of sick people. They are just looking for any chance to harras people.
Old 04-08-2014, 3:19 PM

Gun owners DESERVE respect. Wtf! POS Punk employees should be told F.Off on video & a copy of this chat should be sent to the landlord!

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH Fierce using Tapatalk
Old 04-08-2014, 3:33 PM

Funny... Sounds like IRS, USAG Holder, NSA, ATF, LaDa, LaSD, Hellary Clinton & Hitler Obama!

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH Fierce using Tapatalk
Old 04-08-2014, 9:43 PM
Veteran Member

^^^^ what repo suggested.
It will do all calgunners alot of good if every one who was harassed there print a copy of this thread and mail it to their address. Every time I asked to talk to a manager, the young lady at the office claims to be the manager, listens but nothing changes. I'm sure she is not relaying the message to the real owner or manager.
Old 04-18-2014, 7:36 PM

Sounds like a pretty lame place. The local indoor shooting range in my town doesn't even have Range masters. It's like five or six lanes in a basement, and you can pick up all the brass you want because hardly anybody bothers to pick any of it up. The reason for this is probably because I live in the middle of the desert, you can drive for twenty minutes in pretty much any direction and be out side of city limits. Just go blasting in the desert. The closest real range Near me is A place to shoot, has pistol, rifle and shotgun ranges. Plus private areas to rent out, but I much prefer to just go blasting in the desert. Shooting in a controlled environment is boring to me. Plus you have to listen to the other twenty guys rifles going off constantly, BOOM BANG PEEW BANG BOOM AAAHH. Annoying. Plus, all their targets past 100 yards are uphill, and kind of crummy.

Last edited by Germ1; 04-18-2014 at 7:42 PM..
Old 04-19-2014, 7:57 AM

Whenever a RO at Angeles has given me grief about about picking up my brass I simply grab the broom along with those dust pans they have, sweep up the whole area around me and then dump all of the brass directly into my range box. That's is a VERy rare occurrence though and I will say that most times I just let the RO know that I am picking up my brass and ask that they don't sweep it. I've never had anyone dispute me on it and I try to pick up the brass around the shooting lane every box and will clean up the area in front of me in the dirt during each cease fire.

What I DO NOT like about Angeles is that on weekends you tend to get more yahoos out there that know little if anything about gun safety. Many first timers doing some scary stuff, especially on the pistol side (tends to be more by the shooting gallery).
Old 04-21-2014, 6:57 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

MY Company has more than one dipsh*t working at it, so I don't know why peopel expect every employee to be perfect. How do people get through the day if little stuff like that can ruin it for them?

Prices went up? Sounds like a business. On Sundays there is NO room anywhere and people waiting for spots. I'd raise prices too.

Brass? I try to clean up after 20-30 rounds at most. Waiting to collect 200 rounds of brass is inconsiderate and I'd sweep it if I was an RSO too. Can they be dicks sometimes? yes. Know your **** and don't take their ****. They usually move on to the next newbie who doesn't know better. I take my AOWs and the SAME RSO comes over everytime telling me to go put that "evil gun" away so I dont get into trouble. I kindly explain its an AOW and offer to show him the paperwork and all is well. I'd kick people out much faster than they tend to for as often as I get swept with loaded guns there.

I go a few times a month, and it is what it is. Vote with your money and time. More room for me, I just dont let it get to me
Old 04-21-2014, 8:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBkickinit View Post
Waiting to collect 200 rounds of brass is inconsiderate and I'd sweep it if I was an RSO too.
So if I swept a pile of 200 rounds of brass in a neat pile next to a pillar where I was standing and shooting, and I were the only person on the range, you would find that inconsiderate and come sweep it right from besides my feet?

Just wanna make sure we are in the right context here.

The materials and information contained above in this post are for informational purposes only and not for the purpose of providing legal advice. No attorney-client relationship is created by any interaction with the author of such materials and information.
Old 04-21-2014, 8:33 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatwhy View Post
So if I swept a pile of 200 rounds of brass in a neat pile next to a pillar where I was standing and shooting, and I were the only person on the range, you would find that inconsiderate and come sweep it right from besides my feet?

Just wanna make sure we are in the right context here.

Sweeping it into a pile isn't exactly waiting to collect it. I'm talking about the people with an ejected brass pattern that spans 2-3 benches. If i am tripping over your pile of brass as I go between forward and back benches, thats a problem.

If you swept it into a pile out of the way, thats what I call policing your brass.
Old 04-21-2014, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBkickinit View Post
Sweeping it into a pile isn't exactly waiting to collect it. I'm talking about the people with an ejected brass pattern that spans 2-3 benches. If i am tripping over your pile of brass as I go between forward and back benches, thats a problem.

If you swept it into a pile out of the way, thats what I call policing your brass.
Okay cool, we are on the same page. I was there when the exact scenario I described happened to heidad. No one else on the range, neat little pile at his feet and the RO just walked over and swept it all up.