Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > FFL's Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

FFL's Forum For open discussion between FFLs and polite questions for FFLs.

Old 07-18-2023, 5:47 PM

Default May have made a mistake with DROS form

Hey Calgunners, I'm new here but I have a question regarding a transfer that was initiated today for a ppt. For the address on the DROS form I put down the apartment I'm renting. My driver's license, however, show's my dad's address in a different part of CA. I brought in a utility bill and my lease agreement as proof of residency but I'm worried it may get rejected because the address on the DROS form could conflict with the DMV records because I haven't changed my address to my apartment (stupid I know). Is it worth it trying to change my address? Would appreciate anyone's experience/advice. Thanks
Old 07-18-2023, 5:49 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Won't matter, you are good

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk

We have Atlas gun works single shot 2011 available! If it is on their website we can get it for you.

We have single shot AR pistols in stock!

website
Old 07-18-2023, 6:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waygeekierthanu View Post
Won't matter, you are good

Thanks, the FAQs on the DOJ website had me worried. They seem to say outright that if the address the buyer gives doesn?t match DMV records they?ll reject it. Is that negated by the other proof of residence docs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-18-2023, 6:41 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyguns View Post
Thanks, the FAQs on the DOJ website had me worried. They seem to say outright that if the address the buyer gives doesn?t match DMV records they?ll reject it. Is that negated by the other proof of residence docs?

The funny thing is now but I've never had one fail because of what you're explaining and what you're explaining has happened a lot

We have Atlas gun works single shot 2011 available! If it is on their website we can get it for you.

We have single shot AR pistols in stock!

website
Old 07-18-2023, 7:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waygeekierthanu View Post
The funny thing is now but I've never had one fail because of what you're explaining and what you're explaining has happened a lot

Huh, fingers crossed it works out.

Old 07-18-2023, 8:21 PM
Calguns Addict

The address that counts is what the dealer put on the DROS when it was entered into the computer. Since you stated you brought documentation for that address you should be fine.
Old 07-18-2023, 8:34 PM
I need a LIFE!!

If your utility bill was government issued, the dealer could have an issue down the road on 4473 as required by ATF but it won’t affect your background check.
Old 07-18-2023, 8:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taperxz View Post
If your utility bill was government issued, the dealer could have an issue down the road on 4473 as required by ATF but it won?t affect your background check.

Utility was issued by Cox. Other document was a lease. Both stating the name and address used on the DROS form.

Old 07-19-2023, 12:41 AM

Not sure about this, but I set up my CFARS account when I got home from the FFL with my current address. Would that help or hurt at all?

Old 07-19-2023, 5:55 AM
Calguns Addict

What you need to find out is what address the dealer put into the computer on the form you signed and put a thumb print on. While both forms are called Deal Record of Sale (DROS) the one the dealer enters into the state system is sent to the state. That information is what the background check based on.

The dealer should have checked to make sure the address on the 4473 that you filled out, and the DROS that was entered into the states system matched. If they don't there is nothing you can do now that will correct it.
Old 07-19-2023, 6:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P5Ret View Post
What you need to find out is what address the dealer put into the computer on the form you signed and put a thumb print on. While both forms are called Deal Record of Sale (DROS) the one the dealer enters into the state system is sent to the state. That information is what the background check based on.

The dealer should have checked to make sure the address on the 4473 that you filled out, and the DROS that was entered into the states system matched. If they don't there is nothing you can do that will correct it.

I really appreciate the insight. Unfortunately the FFL used is closing for a week for a personal matter so I can?t contact them. I?m about 90% sure the same address was used for the whole process. The only thing that would have a different one is my DL. My concern is getting delayed/rejected because the address on those two forms wouldn?t match DMV records.

Old 07-19-2023, 6:26 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Utility was issued by Cox. Other document was a lease. Both stating the name and address used on the DROS form.

Then the dealer hasn?t done it right. It?s on them though
Old 07-19-2023, 6:28 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I really appreciate the insight. Unfortunately the FFL used is closing for a week for a personal matter so I can?t contact them. I?m about 90% sure the same address was used for the whole process. The only thing that would have a different one is my DL. My concern is getting delayed/rejected because the address on those two forms wouldn?t match DMV records.

None of that triggers anything. It?s all the dealers problem.
Old 07-19-2023, 6:58 AM

Just to clarify something on the utility bill.

If your current address does not match your DL address you need a government issued document to prove your current address. This is an AFT requirement. A government issued utility bill will work for this, as will a fishing licenses DMV registration, etc.

For a handgun purchase, the State requires a second proof of residency. The State dose not require that it be government issued so a private utility bill will work to meet the State requirement.

I agree this is on the FFL, but if you have a government issued proof of residence you'd be doing him a favor if you gave him a copy.

I also agree it should not affect your DROS.

Last point; in my opinion, a valid USFS/CalFire campfire permit meets both State and Federal criteria and is free to obtain. Not every FFL may agree with this.
Old 07-19-2023, 7:07 AM

Default May have made a mistake with DROS form

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nardo1895 View Post
Just to clarify something on the utility bill.

If your current address does not match your DL address you need a government issued document to prove your current address. This is an AFT requirement. A government issued utility bill will work for this, as will a fishing licenses DMV registration, etc.

I have a fishing license with my current address on it. The Cox bill I have is the only utility I pay for unfortunately, all the others are covered in my rent. If all else fails I could change my address through the DMV after taking delivery of the handgun.

Another question for anyone in the thread: is any if this a reason to prompt a letter from the DOJ? I know I?m not a restricted person.

Last edited by smittyguns; 07-19-2023 at 9:14 AM.. Reason: Added a question
Old 07-20-2023, 6:30 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

Another question for anyone in the thread: is any if this a reason to prompt a letter from the DOJ? I know I?m not a restricted person.

A letter for what? Because you didn't change your address when you moved?

Seriously relax, nothing is going to come from you not changing your address. Yeah the law says you're supposed to change it when you move, but it's not a big deal if you don't.

Wait it out pick up the gun get a copy of the DROS when you pick it up, if the address is wrong, update it in CFARS, no big deal. You're going to give yourself an ulcer or high blood pressure worrying about a big nothing burger.
Old 07-20-2023, 7:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P5Ret View Post

Seriously relax, nothing is going to come from you not changing your address. Yeah the law says you're supposed to change it when you move, but it's not a big deal if you don't.
Yea you?re right, I was just worried about them sending a letter to my dad?s place. I?ll just wait out the 10 days and change the address if I have to. Thanks for the input, much appreciated.