Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 05-18-2013, 8:42 AM

Default Scepter Cans Carry

Thanks for the pic. Now I know a good way to store in the truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJ View Post
Watch forums like Pirate4x4 or Expedition Portal. The military versions often come up for sale, at pretty reasonable prices.

Keep in mind too the difference between the diesel (same color strap or yellow strap) and gas (red strap) versions are really only in the viton gasket. If you're buying milsurp you're definitely going to want to clean them out thoroughly, and you're probably going to want to replace the gasket anyway, so don't worry if you find diesel cans; buy em up right along side the gas ones (if a seller even bothers to list them separately).

eBay's usually a good source for replacement viton gaskets. For example: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Scepter-MFC-...item20c7022eea

And if you're concerned about safety, mark the cans correctly (I am; don't want a mismarked/unmarked can killing someone on my conscious) get the correct color strap. Again red for gas/E85, yellow for dielel or other. eBay to the resue again: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Scepter-MFC-...item1e664fc387 and http://www.ebay.com/itm/Scepter-MFC-...item20bdfd4ee2

PS: Handy tip on them straps... using them with the cap tethered via the strap sucks. The cap keeps getting in the way when pouring into the funnel. So rather than rip them off, just cut them so the red collar is still on the can and the strap part is still on the cap. Keeps the color very visible but doesn't create a headache when trying to actually use the thing.

Like this:
Old 05-24-2013, 7:02 PM

Hey dirtbikindad

Do you still Scepter fuellmcansl for sale? I'm in NorCal and interested. What's the price and do you have any idea on shipping?

Thanks
Old 05-24-2013, 8:55 PM

How many you looking for?

I don't regret burning some bridges. I regret that some people weren't on those bridges when I burnt them!
Old 06-05-2015, 9:57 PM
Calguns Addict

Using Scepter MFC/Military Fuel Can, there is no need for adding addictive to the fuel even for long term storage, since these cans DO NOT vent or leak, they are sealed.

Without venting, the gas will not become gummy (what the addictive are intended to prevent)!

The trouble is, it is VERY difficult to find where to buy real Scepter MFCs.

New to Calguns, check here first:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...ad.php?t=56818
Old 06-07-2015, 6:35 PM

Yes I still have 6 cans to sell. I may just take 2 more and put into my stores for gas. So even if I do that I have 4 for sale they are all tan. They were used on 1 deployment for diesel then I cleaned them out. They all have the Viton gasket so no worries about using gas.

I don't regret burning some bridges. I regret that some people weren't on those bridges when I burnt them!
Old 06-08-2015, 4:30 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jicko View Post
Using Scepter MFC/Military Fuel Can, there is no need for adding addictive to the fuel even for long term storage, since these cans DO NOT vent or leak, they are sealed.

Without venting, the gas will not become gummy (what the addictive are intended to prevent)!

The trouble is, it is VERY difficult to find where to buy real Scepter MFCs.
With today's low quality fuels, i wouldn't recommend storage without treatment. Much better to be safe then to find out fuel is crap when the time comes that you REALLY need it.

As to finding "real" Scepters, a check of Google, e-bay, etc will provide multiple sources.
Old 06-08-2015, 10:09 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_In_29 View Post
As to finding "real" Scepters, a check of Google, e-bay, etc will provide multiple sources.
Couldn't find any LOW COST ones....

Old 06-08-2015, 10:10 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbikindad393 View Post
Yes I still have 6 cans to sell. I may just take 2 more and put into my stores for gas. So even if I do that I have 4 for sale they are all tan. They were used on 1 deployment for diesel then I cleaned them out. They all have the Viton gasket so no worries about using gas.
I thought Diesel destroy Viton..... no?

Old 06-09-2015, 7:32 AM
Banned

Quote:
Couldn't find any LOW COST ones....
You did not give that as a parameter in your post that I replied to.

Search through the forum and there is thread with a post about getting two for a good price.
Never mind I just realized it was concerning their water containers and not fuel cans.

Last edited by Steve_In_29; 06-09-2015 at 7:59 AM..
Old 06-09-2015, 1:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnynrat View Post
I have a bunch of the Scepter cans that I use to carry gas when I'm out with my 4x4. IMO, they are the best for that application, but I'm not sure about long term storage.

They are also not CARB approved, so you aren't supposed to be able to buy them for use in CA anymore. If you are clever you may find some sources on line.
Apparently they now have a CARB version.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...FQKTfgodMokAtg
Old 06-09-2015, 7:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorn5150 View Post
Apparently they now have a CARB version.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...FQKTfgodMokAtg
Looks like they took a GREAT fuel can and turned it into a junkie one. The basis seems to be their water container that they redesigned the cap/spout on. I doubt the plastic is of the same quality/thickness and that the cap seals no where as good.

I would say pass on these and go for the metal NATO (Jerry) cans instead.
Old 06-10-2015, 5:02 AM

Quote:
Looks like they took a GREAT fuel can and turned it into a junkie one. The basis seems to be their water container that they redesigned the cap/spout on. I doubt the plastic is of the same quality/thickness and that the cap seals no where as good.

I would say pass on these and go for the metal NATO (Jerry) cans instead.
I have four of these that I use for storage. No additives, I just rotate them regularly. I got rid of the crappy spout and just use a siphon. I know some people like to stack 'em which obviously isn't possible with this design, but they work for me.
Old 06-10-2015, 7:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtyner View Post
I have four of these that I use for storage. No additives, I just rotate them regularly. I got rid of the crappy spout and just use a siphon. I know some people like to stack 'em which obviously isn't possible with this design, but they work for me.
If you want to verify those cans are the same quality as their military versions try this, fill a can with water and then throw it off your roof onto your driveway. Then drive your truck over it.

I would bet that civilianized can won't survive, while a military grade Scepter wouldn't loose a drop.

As for the no-additives/rotate-regularly comment, absent a timeline that doesn't really provide any useful info. What's "regularly"? Every month, two, three, six, a year?

Personally unless you are rotating monthly (though how much could you really store with that schedule) I think it's penny-wise/pound-foolish to store fuel for an emergency without taking the relatively cheap extra step to make sure it's still good when needed the most and lives might be counting on it. It's commonly acknowledged among most automotive sources that modern gasoline starts to go bad in as little as 30 days.
Old 06-11-2015, 8:40 PM

Quote:
I thought Diesel destroy Viton..... no?
No Viton is good for gas, diesel all of it.

Old 06-12-2015, 12:42 AM

This place sells high quality metal cans.

http://www.roverparts.com/nxt/?keywords=jerry%20can
Old 06-12-2015, 6:19 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaligaran View Post
They make 5g plastic jerry cans for military use:
http://www.sceptermilitary.com/

Here's what they say:

I'm looking into getting having some extra fuel storage for my truck and generator that I can rotate. I like the jerry can style better than the big red standard 'civilian' containers.

Has anyone used/use these plastic jerry cans? Thoughts?
I have two of the older high quality WEDCO metal cans and two Scepter cans. The Scepter cans are awesome! I much prefer them over the metal cans which are prone to rusting, denting and rattling. If you can get the Scepters...as I don't believe that Scepter is shipping into California due to CARB nonsense...I would get them. Great cans!
Old 06-12-2015, 7:34 PM
Banned

These are very good cans but you need to have them shipped to an out-of-state friend.

http://www.majorsurplus.com/Euro-Mil...1--P14398.aspx
Old 06-13-2015, 6:58 PM
Veteran Member

I'm actually glad this thread was brought back up. I never did pick them up and my original thread was well over a year ago.

One of you mentioned filling it with water then throwing it off a roof and driving over it. Surely you're referring to the old metal Scepter cans and not the plastic ones, right? If not, WOW they are much more durable than I expected from any fuel can.

I'll pick some up this weekend. I was planning on getting plastic ones anyway for the weight savings. Onto ebay for me!
WTB: multiautomatic ghost gun with a .30-caliber clip to disperse with 30 bullets within half a second. Must include shoulder thing that goes up. Memberships/Affiliations: CERT, ARRL ARES, NRA Patron Member, HRC, CGN/CGSSA, Cal-FFL
Old 06-13-2015, 7:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
I'm actually glad this thread was brought back up. I never did pick them up and my original thread was well over a year ago.

One of you mentioned filling it with water then throwing it off a roof and driving over it. Surely you're referring to the old metal Scepter cans and not the plastic ones, right? If not, WOW they are much more durable than I expected from any fuel can.

I'll pick some up this weekend. I was planning on getting plastic ones anyway for the weight savings. Onto ebay for me!
That was me and yes I was talking about the mil-spec plastic Scepter cans (NOT the civilianized version). They are actually more resilient then the mil-spec metal NATO cans since the metal cans will dent.
Old 06-13-2015, 8:38 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
That was me and yes I was talking about the mil-spec plastic Scepter cans (NOT the civilianized version). They are actually more resilient then the mil-spec metal NATO cans since the metal cans will dent.
Wow ok.

The mil ones actually say gov property on them I believe. Which I don't want to have in my possession, especially in this state. Unless the gov ever sells the old ones... do they?
WTB: multiautomatic ghost gun with a .30-caliber clip to disperse with 30 bullets within half a second. Must include shoulder thing that goes up. Memberships/Affiliations: CERT, ARRL ARES, NRA Patron Member, HRC, CGN/CGSSA, Cal-FFL
Old 06-13-2015, 11:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Wow ok.

The mil ones actually say gov property on them I believe. Which I don't want to have in my possession, especially in this state. Unless the gov ever sells the old ones... do they?
They surplus them out from time to time. Personally I think they are the ONLY plastic fuel cans worth owning.
Old 06-13-2015, 11:25 PM

How do you vent these things when pouring? Waiting forever for a jerry can to empty in pathetic little glug-glugs is mighty annoying.
Old 06-13-2015, 11:50 PM
Calguns Addict

Tagged
Old 06-14-2015, 2:06 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Surely you're referring to the old metal Scepter cans and not the plastic ones, right?
Just to clarify Scepter it's a brand name, not a style or design. AFAIK, Scepter has never made a metal fuel container. You're probably thinking to the metal NATO fuel jugs.
"The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision, one designed for those exceptionally rare circumstances where all other rights have failed—where the government refuses to stand for re-election and silences those who protest; where courts have lost the courage to oppose, or can find no one to enforce their decrees. However improbable these contingencies may seem today, facing them unprepared is a mistake free people get to make only once." - Justice Alex Kozinski, 9th US Circuit Crt of Appeals
Old 06-14-2015, 8:10 PM

Scepter cans are incredibly tough and work great. Anyone who questions the fact they are made of plastic (THICK HDPE) has definitely never handled one.

I've used 6 fuel (2 diesel, 4 gas) and 8 water cans for maybe 6 years now. The H2O cans were purchased new but all 6 fuel cans were milsurp and look absolutely THRASHED. They function and feel just like the brand new water cans.

If you need a fuel or water can and want it to be very durable (albeit heavier and more expensive than cheap cans), then stop your research here. Just get a couple and move on with life. You won't regret it.
Old 06-14-2015, 8:15 PM

Quote:
Wow ok.

They were pretty common in the mid 2000s. Got them from sportsmans guide, had the yellow diesel caps. Paid something like $10 or $15 each. This was well before carb closed the door, then things prices became stupid.
Old 06-15-2015, 9:16 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyguy View Post
Just to clarify Scepter it's a brand name, not a style or design. AFAIK, Scepter has never made a metal fuel container. You're probably thinking to the metal NATO fuel jugs.
Ah I thought Scepter made those too. Ok thanks for the info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibbet View Post
They were pretty common in the mid 2000s. Got them from sportsmans guide, had the yellow diesel caps. Paid something like $10 or $15 each. This was well before carb closed the door, then things prices became stupid.
Ok so it's safe to own the ones that say Gov Property without fear of getting hooked for stolen property. That's good to know.
Old 06-24-2015, 10:36 AM
Veteran Member

So my friend in California found a couple of old military Scepter cans that were in the wreckage from a tragic boating accident...

In looking through the CA Air Resource Board's site, all he could find is that it is illegal to "offer to sell, sell, blah blah" non compliant cans. So it sounds like possession is not problematic.

Are there any crazy regulations or laws that would prevent my friend from using one of these 'unapproved' fuel containers? In addition, are there any other laws (federal or state) that require any distinctive markings for containers (such as red straps for gas/yellow for diesel) or anything else that one would need to know about.

If possession and use is not against any CA or federal regulations or laws, are there any recommendations for spouts that I can give to my friend?

Thanks for any advice, he doesn't have an account on here so I'm asking for him.
Old 06-24-2015, 12:18 PM

I'm not aware of any laws that address strap color, but red is typically used for gas, and yellow for diesel. But you probably already knew that.

There is a spout sold that has about an 18" long flexible tube attached to a cap that screws on the Scepter cans. I'll bet you can find one for sale on eBay.

Lifetime Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Old 06-24-2015, 12:30 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnynrat View Post
There is a spout sold that has about an 18" long flexible tube attached to a cap that screws on the Scepter cans. I'll bet you can find one for sale on eBay.
Yeah there's a few of them, didn't know if there were any to avoid or any to preference. Thanks!
Old 06-24-2015, 12:37 PM

I have one that looks like this:

It works well for me. Mine came with a bag so you can store it away without any drips getting all over. I like it, but haven't tried any others.

Old 06-24-2015, 5:54 PM
Banned

Even the old style clamp-on spouts from the previous generation of metal military fuel cans will work, as they intentionally made the Scepter opening the same size. These are usually cheaper to buy then the actual Scepter spouts.
Old 06-24-2015, 11:36 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Even the old style clamp-on spouts from the previous generation of metal military fuel cans will work, as they intentionally made the Scepter opening the same size. These are usually cheaper to buy then the actual Scepter spouts.
Good to know, thanks!
Old 06-25-2015, 2:28 PM
Banned

Yet another option is the screw-in nozzles for the old style metal military cans. These can be found with either the original large diameter tube or the later model small diameter tube that fits through the flap in the filler neck on modern cars.
Old 06-25-2015, 3:01 PM
I need a LIFE!!

the Scepter is extremely rugged and it's tolerance for abuse is more than impressive.
Old 07-10-2015, 3:38 AM

Quote:
So my friend in California found a couple of old military Scepter cans that were in the wreckage from a tragic boating accident...

In looking through the CA Air Resource Board's site, all he could find is that it is illegal to "offer to sell, sell, blah blah" non compliant cans. So it sounds like possession is not problematic.

Are there any crazy regulations or laws that would prevent my friend from using one of these 'unapproved' fuel containers? In addition, are there any other laws (federal or state) that require any distinctive markings for containers (such as red straps for gas/yellow for diesel) or anything else that one would need to know about.

If possession and use is not against any CA or federal regulations or laws, are there any recommendations for spouts that I can give to my friend?

Thanks for any advice, he doesn't have an account on here so I'm asking for him.
I have heard from multiple sources that the CHP and rangers are issuing citations for non compliant cans and it is an expensive ticket. I heard this from people that have dirt bikes and quads and a few different shops that sell cans. Many shops still sell the "utility jugs" side by side with the CA legal cans. They cost the same so I see no reason why the shops would lie, and I've heard it from several people that I know as well.

It is generally easy to visually verify a can is CA legal so if you use them or transport them keep them out of sight. To be legal they need to be the color red among a few other rules. These Scepter cans are made in red so maybe get those and from a distance they would look legal. They also need to say "gasoline" and have a "no spill" nozzle. The Scepter cans say "fuel"

When we go ride in the desert I tell my friends to keep their non-compliant stuff in the truck/trailer out of sight.

I have also heard a few times that CHP will pull you over if they see a non-compliant can in the bed of a truck.

I know this is crap and I plan to buy some of these MIL Scepter cans anyway for home storage. Just be smart about transporting and we should be ok.

NRA Benefactor
CRPA Life Member
GOA Member
Old 07-10-2015, 6:39 AM

Rumors abound, but please cite the law that makes it illegal to possess Scepter cans. I don't believe there is such a law. Like other things we are familiar with, the sale of Scepter cans was made illegal in about 2001. I think possession of pre-ban cans is legal.

Old 07-10-2015, 9:20 AM
Veteran Member

I don't doubt what you are saying Tiger, but to be cited there must be some law or regulation in place.

I haven't been able to find anything on the books and if you are can find some links it would be greatly appreciated!
Old 07-10-2015, 11:50 AM
Banned

I believe the "law" pertains only to retailers as far as selling the cans and not to the consumer using them.
Old 07-10-2015, 12:22 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I believe the "law" pertains only to retailers as far as selling the cans and not to the consumer using them.
That's all I have been able to find as well.

California Code of Regulations , Title 13, Division 3, Chapter 9, Article 6, Section 2467 et. seq is what covers sales of these 'unapproved' containers.

Posting the link again since it may have gotten lost in my previous post:
http://www.arb.ca.gov/enf/advs/advs342.pdf
http://www.arb.ca.gov/consprod/fuel-...rs/pfc/pfc.htm

If anyone can find anything additional I'd love to know about it.