Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 09-07-2015, 5:39 AM

Quote:
LynnJr ask: Couldn't the pressure spike be caused by a detonation from a light charge?
Pre-ignition, detonation and compression, a group of foreigners said yes but they could not repeat the failure every time, only occasionally. They blamed the failure on bad habits and moved on, we are smarter than the foreigners and we moved on, we described the failures as though there were tiny spark plugs, wires and distributors complete with pistons, rods and cranks. Then there were the ones without spark plugs and distributors, those were the ones that were more like a diesel engine, heat by compression.

Then there was the reloader with the Weatherby 257 mag. He rendered the rifle scrap and thought "Must have been a double charge of pistol powder", after all, he only feed the Weatherby a steady diet of reduced loads.

F. Guffey
Old 09-07-2015, 6:04 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fguffey View Post
Pre-ignition, detonation and compression, a group of foreigners said yes but they could not repeat the failure every time, only occasionally. They blamed the failure on bad habits and moved on, we are smarter than the foreigners and we moved on, we described the failures as though there were tiny spark plugs, wires and distributors complete with pistons, rods and cranks. Then there were the ones without spark plugs and distributors, those were the ones that were more like a diesel engine, heat by compression.

Then there was the reloader with the Weatherby 257 mag. He rendered the rifle scrap and thought "Must have been a double charge of pistol powder", after all, he only feed the Weatherby a steady diet of reduced loads.

F. Guffey
Translation:

Can a pressure spike be caused by detonation resulting from a light charge?

Yes it can. I know of a person who KB'd a .257 Weatherby using reduced loads.
Old 09-07-2015, 6:30 AM
Calguns Addict

Yet another thread that dissuades me from reloading.
Old 09-07-2015, 8:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-cat View Post
Translation:

Can a pressure spike be caused by detonation resulting from a light charge?

Yes it can. I know of a person who KB'd a .257 Weatherby using reduced loads.
Reduced loads? Double charge? Bad habits?

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=341348

Then there are those little spark plugs, and bad timing etc.

I will go with the foreigners/

F. Guffey
Old 09-07-2015, 11:52 AM
Calguns Addict

[QUOTE=fguffey

I will go with the foreigners

F. Guffey[/QUOTE]

Frank
You will be missed here.
www.unlimitedrange.org
Not a commercial business.
URSA - Competition starts at 2000 yards!

Last edited by LynnJr; 09-07-2015 at 1:31 PM..
Old 09-07-2015, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarhead714 View Post

^^^^ This!! Very well stated!
Old 09-07-2015, 11:57 AM
Calguns Addict

J-Cat
It is common to get extremely high pressure from loading down the 300 Weatherby with RE25.
You see guys suggesting a 10% reduction when changing powder and when primers are changed. I had a friend reduce his load by 20% and it stretched his action enough to need replacement.
I am not saying it occurred here but a new Shooter on a progressive could let the powder run low and think all is well only to get a big surprise.
www.unlimitedrange.org
Old 09-07-2015, 12:29 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarhead714 View Post
more powder and reloading components for us.

Old 09-07-2015, 12:33 PM
Veteran Member

I don't believe a light smokeless powder charge can detonate in a cartridge. I know black powder can if there is an air pocket - especially the 4F (FFFF).

In the United States a person's expertise on a subject is inversely proportional to their knowledge of the subject: The less they know about something, the more they become an expert on it.

I am being held hostage in a giant insane asylum called Earth.
Old 09-07-2015, 1:27 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carcassonne View Post
I don't believe a light smokeless powder charge can detonate in a cartridge. I know black powder can if there is an air pocket - especially the 4F (FFFF).
You believe wrong.
Old 09-07-2015, 1:35 PM
Calguns Addict

You can put 50 grains of RE25 under a 210 grain bullet in a 300 Weatherby and tap the tip of the bullet on the bench so all the powder moves forward in the case and chronograph the bullet to find out.
www.unlimitedrange.org
Old 09-07-2015, 1:36 PM
Internet Warrior
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
a group of foreigners said yes but they could not repeat the failure every time, only occasionally. They blamed the failure on bad habits and moved on, we are smarter than the foreigners and we moved on, we described the failures as though there were tiny spark plugs, wires and distributors complete with pistons, rods and cranks.
Guffey, can you elaborate on who the foreigners are? It sounds like you are talking in the context of automobiles or other gasoline machines. How is this relevant to the post. I am interested in knowing. Excuse my ignorance as I am not sure what this reference means. I am always intrigued by your posts.

Thanks.
Old 09-08-2015, 1:00 PM

Quote:
Guffey, can you elaborate on who the foreigners are? It sounds like you are talking in the context of automobiles or other gasoline machines. How is this relevant to the post. I am interested in knowing. Excuse my ignorance as I am not sure what this reference means. I am always intrigued by your posts.
No, I am quoting reloaders that try to correlate automotive technology to everything that happens after the firing pin crushes the primer, as in detonation etc..

Foreigners said the problem was caused by bad habits, the Automotive Technology group could not blow their pistols up every time so they rejected the information. I believe reduces loads are cute, and a bad habit.

F. Guffey
Old 09-08-2015, 2:09 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShotgunPreacher View Post
i would not reload .223/5.56... ever nor would i buy reloads, less surplus. the few people i know who are heavily into it have told me that for years. Im not expert, but the few times ive been at a range when there has been a catastrophic failure with an AR and I was close enough to hear or engage the victim, I've heard them say they were shooting reloads! Without going into the other things I've see including 5.56/.223 projectiles being stuck in the end of the chamber or nearby in the bore has (by my witness) ALWAYS involved reloads! Im sure there are several counter arguments, but Im offering mine only. Skirting along the lines of reason in all things can sometimes be fatal.

To be sure, ive stayed away from the 5.56/.223 reloads and only use quality domestic ammo or nato surplus ammo ONLY in all my systems, especially in those I care about. Peace of mind.... this would be my advice.
A lot of Glocks exploded while shooting factory ammo, therefore I do not recommend shooting factory ammo period.
Old 09-08-2015, 2:27 PM
Calguns Addict

I once tried to see how low I could go with 148gr HBWC in a .357 case. I read that 2.7grs of Bullseye was a good load so I loaded 2.7 and 3 and 1.7 and 1.5 and 1 and shot them out of my Python.

The 2.7 and 3 grain loads shot ok. They were really dirty and sorta accurate. The rest were a bit of a surprise. Every load under 2 grains pierced primers, made a different noise, and shot especially clean, like no carbon made it around the case walls to soot the case. And all the cases were real sticky. Had to Lund them out of the chamber.

Detonation? Yup. But 2grs of Bullseye doesn't have enough energy to explode a .357 Magnum.
Old 09-10-2015, 6:21 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
No, I am quoting reloaders that try to correlate automotive technology to everything that happens after the firing pin crushes the primer, as in detonation etc..

Foreigners said the problem was caused by bad habits, the Automotive Technology group could not blow their pistols up every time so they rejected the information. I believe reduces loads are cute, and a bad habit.

F. Guffey
Frank
You haven't loaded enough yet to understand what a detonation is but the powder companies do..
www.unlimitedrange.org
Old 09-10-2015, 7:14 PM

HP White Laboratory has never been able to reproduce a low charge detonation, also known as (S.E.E.) secondary explosion effect. Hodgon Powder doesn't believe in S.E.E.. As for their no less than 3% reduction for H110/296, that is because of possible squib loads, not detonation.

If you are able to reproduce detonation with extremely small charges of Bullseye on a regular basis, the powder companies and HP White Laboratory will definitely need to learn your technique so they can examine the phenomenon, since they have been unable to reproduce a detonation in their research.
Old 09-10-2015, 7:28 PM
Calguns Addict

Did they try 1-2grs of Bullseye in a 357? We're u there? Do you have access to their research?