Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 10-16-2019, 5:38 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bv141 View Post
Not trying to be argumentative, but where else in the USA do they shutdown power to 800,000 for 45 mile per hour winds?

We have hurricane force winds for decades and never ran into this problem. If you take the money designated for maintenance and spend it on expensive executives, then you will have maintenance problems in the future.

These aren't 'Act of God', this is classic failure to plan (and pocketing the maintenance funds.)
No, reread the the original question, the title of this thread.... I simply answered the question at its face value.

Again, It’s taught me that people are sue happy. $h!+ happens including disasters. Wind brought down some power lines, fires started, lives were destroyed and people sued. I don’t blame PG&E for shutting off the power.

They’re damned if they do and damned if they don’t. If they kept the power on during the next wind storm, if a fire started again, they’d get some of the blame and sued again.,.,, for millions of dollars. How does any company stay in business that way????? They shut the power off during times of potential disaster. And that’s what I learned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Featureless View Post
You must be a city dweller.
You must live in a tinder box.

It`s funny to me to see how angry an atheist is over a God they don`t believe in.` -Jack Hibbs

-ΙΧΘΥΣ <><
Old 10-16-2019, 7:24 PM

Location: Up in the hills, above the beach in the foggy redwoods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch3 View Post
I'm in good shape for food water and light. I have a generator and multiple methods to cook food. We didn't lose power in this event, but most of the nearby areas are still out.

My sister up in Eureka was completely unprepared. No stored water, very little food. Electric range, no BBQ or camp stove. She and her husband spent hours trying to get a new Coleman electric lantern to work. They bought it in 2011 at Costco, but had never taken it out of the box.

She claims she had new batteries for it, but they couldn't figure it out.

No light, no heat, eating chips and cookies. It sounds like they were pretty miserable.
I am glad that I live way up in the hills behind a locked gate! I can not see Eureka from here due to hills between us, but I can see Humboldt Bay and the far spit across the Bay from Eureka. So I would not be a shining beacon at the top of the hill during the night, to those flat lander city folks living in darkness along the Bay. Heck even the folks that I invite over, have a tough time finding my place the first time...

I learned by monitoring multiple radios hearing that a lot of folks were that way down in Eureka plus no fuel available, and especially in Arcata also. Those Humboldt State Students had the no electricity withdraws! I was listening to all of these battery powered - am/ fm radio, 2 scanners, a couple of amateur radio HTs handi-talkies along with my HF bands radio(s). I fired up my 1500 watts generator after 8 hours to run the fridge.

I have a couple of batteries for my HP elitebook computer and a car charger, and accessed the internet using my Verizon Hot Spot which does use the same 12VDC car charger as my old school flip style cell phone. I did have to go into the laptop controls, and adjust the settings for minimum power usage to get the longest battery life of over 5 hours each.

Up here on the hilltop the power lines don't go up the County road much more than a mile past my place, and I live the last place on a short side distribution line. So in the past I have lost power for up to a week, when the snow laden tree limbs would pull the lines down. For that longest outage PG&E gave me a $25.00 dollar credit on my bill. That sort of paid for the fuel used to run the generator for the fridge, but it is considered part of the life of living in the boonies.

I have oodles of camping gear from my working out in the boonies fisheries career, 3 generators, 5 deep cycle lead acid batteries for my ham radio room, and a woodstove. It is a hour drive round trip just to get to a store, so I am ready for just a 28 hour power outage.

All of my immediate neighbors had no issues, and we made jokes about the outage being like an earthquake without the shaking, or a snow storm with no storm. During the outage we had sun/ no fog, and no high winds here at my location. A couple of neighbors fired up their Webber grills, and I was invited to dinner before it got dark out.

I was near Harbor Freight the day before the outage, and must have seen at least 8 generators with extension cords/ gas cans coming out of the store in about an hour. Then local gas stations ran out of fuel that evening before the outage. Those folks who were out spending money at least acted upon the prior notice of the outage.

Then what will happen to those folks after an major earthquake? Something like the series of three with the largest one being a 7.2 then a 6.6 and 6.5 aftershocks that we had here on the north coast in April 1992? They don't tell you around 48 hours beforehand that an earthquake will happen, and things will go dark in the near future.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1992_C...no_earthquakes

So the PG&E outage was a minor inconvenience for having to burn some fuel to keep the fridge cold. I have many flashlights and headlamps with Costco sized packs of batteries, I make my own candles, and have oil lamps and Coleman Lanterns. So I was not sitting here in the dark, shivering, while gnawing on junk food.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDJYo View Post
I *thought* I was prepared. A few things I figured would work, didn't.

Gas stovetop. It uses electricity for the spark. DUH. I know, use a match to get it started. No problems.

Landline Telephone. Any of the modern handset phones won't work if they use a base unit. Another DUH. If you have the old-school rotary type of phone (I'm assuming), you'll be fine since it doesn't need any electrical outlet power. Fortunately, cellular worked.

My house wasn't affected, but my mom's was. She's 85 and was in denial that it would happen. We got her prepped as best as possible and I'm glad I live close by. I did NOT want to try to teach her to use a match to turn on the stove. She's getting to the age where her faculties are diminishing. I wouldn't want her to try and keep the stove on even when she's not using it.

Mom' house got COLD too. So, I brought hot water, soup and some spam and rice to warm her up. Also, brought an old sleeping bag, beanie and gloves.
I have an old school wall mounted corded handset rotary dial phone and a princess style touch tone phone on a landline and they both went dead. Just like when we loose our power and landline phone in the winter when snow laden tree branches take down the lines here in the boonies.

My cell and internet access via a Verizon Hot Spot kept working during the 28 hour outage that I had here.

My water supply is on a well, but there is a 2500 gallon holding tank with gravity feed to the house. So no loss of water either, even if I keep several cases of bottled water on hand for just-in-case.
Old 10-17-2019, 9:49 AM
Calguns Addict

Eh, just remember to keep the gas tank full, some cash, blocks of ice in the freezer. Then maybe I’ll rough it for a weekend getaway in Carmel if they kill the power in my neighborhood. Not really a big deal.

I’ll have to do the math if it really makes sense to get a nice propane or natural gas generator plus the electrical work done for maybe a few days a year of no power.
Old 10-17-2019, 3:13 PM

It was a good "dry run" I think I ended up being on the only street in Cameron Park that didn't lose power for 39 hours.

Only semi-Smart thing I thought of was to empty two ice makers into coolers while they kept making ice, to use on fridge side food if we did end up going off line. (assuming frozen food would be GTG.)

Gas and batteries were out locally in CP.

Wife wants me to look at generator if this looks to happen regularly. Did give me motivation to organize and finds gaps in supplies.
Old 10-17-2019, 3:25 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailerparkTrash View Post
No, reread the the original question, the title of this thread.... I simply answered the question at its face value.

Again, It’s taught me that people are sue happy. $h!+ happens including disasters. Wind brought down some power lines, fires started, lives were destroyed and people sued. I don’t blame PG&E for shutting off the power.

They’re damned if they do and damned if they don’t. If they kept the power on during the next wind storm, if a fire started again, they’d get some of the blame and sued again.,.,, for millions of dollars. How does any company stay in business that way????? They shut the power off during times of potential disaster. And that’s what I learned.

Don't look now, but the entire State of California is a tinderbox. Block after block of your entire surburban neighborhoods have been utterly destroyed.
CRPA Member

....."He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harrass our people, and eat out their substance."

Declaration of Independence, 1776
Old 10-18-2019, 6:04 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldt Leatherneck View Post
I have an old school wall mounted corded handset rotary dial phone and a princess style touch tone phone on a landline and they both went dead. Just like when we loose our power and landline phone in the winter when snow laden tree branches take down the lines here in the boonies.
We have some old school landline phones as well. From past experience, the batteries in the AT&T RT 'hut' last about 24 hours.

It used to have a backup generator out front, but they removed it about 20 years ago for 'refurbishing'. It never came back.
Old 10-18-2019, 9:28 PM

Thumbs up

PG&E Says It Could Impose Blackouts in California for a Decade
https://www.wsj.com/articles/pg-e-ceo-says-it-could-impose-blackouts-in-california-for-a-decade-11571438206

Quote:
PG&E Corp. ’s chief executive said Friday that it could take as long as 10 years for the company to improve its electric system enough to significantly diminish the need to pull the plug on customers to reduce the risk of sparking fires.
The decades of deferred maintenance to be done within ten years?
Old 10-18-2019, 9:41 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by riprap View Post
What has PG&E Outage Taught You?
That city folks are indeed selfish *****s.
Old 10-18-2019, 11:45 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:

it wasnt an act of god which caused pge to get sued, it was gross negligence which is why they are now felons in the eyes of the law.

pge can shut off power this is true but the people can and are suing pge for these shutoffs whether planned or not.

the kicker to this shutoff was there was no wind in most of the affected areas. in placer county we got just over 5 mph winds. i live on the top of the canyon overlooking desolation wilderness. almost zero wind, my hummingbird feeders werent even swaying and i didnt have to pull down my umbrellas. the week before we saw 10 mph winds so this shutoff was even moreso a joke.
Old 10-18-2019, 11:47 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bool1tholz View Post
https://www.wsj.com/articles/pg-e-ceo-says-it-could-impose-blackouts-in-california-for-a-decade-11571438206

this is after pge is broken into multiple pieces and sold off to local utilities. smud and roseville are drooling right now watching pge's leadership make idiotic decision after idiotic decision.
Old 10-19-2019, 8:28 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Don't look now, but the entire State of California is a tinderbox. Block after block of your entire surburban neighborhoods have been utterly destroyed.
“Entire state????” False. You’ve made a gross false assumption.

I work the large fires every single year. The overwhelming majority of the large encompassing fires in this state are hillside, wildlife (forest) and mountain brush fires. Down in the flat-lands of suburbia, 99.9% of the time there’s never a “mass wave” of fire affecting dozens upon dozens of houses. In fact, I can’t recall any massive sweeping fire that took place in the track homes of an urban neighborhood.

The tinderbox is where YOU most likely live. Hillsides, Forest, mountainous terrain.

I suggest you move. Immediately.

It`s funny to me to see how angry an atheist is over a God they don`t believe in.` -Jack Hibbs

-ΙΧΘΥΣ <><
Old 10-19-2019, 9:32 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Lesson - Never depend on Government for anything, if its functioning enjoy it, if not carry-on without it.
"The California matrix of gun control laws is among the harshest in the nation and are filled with criminal law traps for people of common intelligence who desire to obey the law." - U.S. District Judge Roger T. Benitez
Old 10-19-2019, 10:02 AM
Calguns Addict

Here's a little time travel to last year discussing the circumstances under which the power would be cut off.

https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/...php?p=22235211

Quote:
The criteria for implementing the plug pull is what to watch for.
Who will decide and under what general or specific conditions have to be met?
My guess is that CalFire will make the actual decision and utility will make it happen. They do that now.
Fires all take on a life of their own and can change direction/intensity. The "proactive" shut off could quite easily affect the wrong customers due to a wind shift. So they'll be left with a too much vs too little of a shut down decision. That could do as much damage as the fire or at least exacerbate the emergency.
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

“I didn’t know I was a slave until I found out I couldn’t do the things I wanted.”
– Frederick Douglass --
Old 10-19-2019, 3:01 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime

I learned how many snowflakes we have on Calguns.

Of the problems I encountered at my homestead though; I was out of town so instructions over the phone to my wife are obviously not as ideal as being walked through the whole process of getting the generator online.

1. I had not drilled with my wife on how to set up the generator

Turn the main off, all panel breakers off, and use the transfer switch to control power to the house and well. Other than that its simply plug the cord in and press the ON button on the generator.

2. The Transfer switch labels were dusty and the wife was unfamiliar with the set up.

I've now PTouched new labels on the transfer switch and put a Generator Operation manual with pictures hanging by it.

3. The generators fuel petcock grommet had deteriorated from time and vibrations and was leaking.

The extras are now in a bag strapped to the generator so we don't need to hunt for them.

The Pros: She was awesome and didn't complain at all! We are preppers, so tons of canned foods, filled chest freezer, multi fuel cooking apparatus, and flashlights lamps galore. Plus our 5000 gallon water tank is on a hill behind the house so the head pressure charges the entire house - the boiler and water heater keep it nice and warm!

Honestly, asides from the aforementioned which was easily rectified; we really had no change in our comfort or lifestyle. The most annoying thing was listening to all the wretched snowflakes complain about such a minuscule event.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20191019_152903.jpg (87.8 KB, 359 views)
File Type: jpg 20191019_152845.jpg (88.3 KB, 361 views)
File Type: jpg 20191019_153036.jpg (101.6 KB, 363 views)
Old 10-19-2019, 10:45 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milsurp1 View Post
Don’t buy an electric car which requires a hard wired power source.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesla_Powerwall
https://www.tesla.com/energy

Don’t buy a gasoline car unless you plan on storing (and rotating) gasoline at home. Gas stations were closed because they don't have backup generators to power their pumps.

Last edited by Paladin; 10-24-2019 at 9:11 PM..
Old 10-20-2019, 8:21 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYT View Post
it wasnt an act of god which caused pge to get sued, it was gross negligence which is why they are now felons in the eyes of the law.
,,,”in the eyes of the law.” Ha, don’t make me laugh. Under democrat party control, California laws have become the norm exclusively for kangaroo courts. I reject your “eyes of the law” in California.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYT
pge can shut off power this is true but the people can and are suing pge for these shutoffs whether planned or not.
Thank you for validating my original point. For the third time, the PG&E power shut off has taught me that people WILL sue because “it’s someone else’s fault.“

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYT
i live on the top of the canyon overlooking desolation wilderness. almost zero wind, my hummingbird feeders werent even swaying and i didnt have to pull down my umbrellas. the week before we saw 10 mph winds so this shutoff was even moreso a joke.
There, I fixed the one and only relevant point you made. You live at the top of a “canyon” (think: “fire travels faster uphill”) adjacent to a “wilderness” area. Aka: “Tinderbox.”

An ounce of prevention is worth $600,000 of home destruction cure.

I suggest you sell and move. Immediately.

-ΙΧΘΥΣ <><
Old 10-20-2019, 9:15 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
,,,”in the eyes of the law.” Ha, don’t make me laugh. Under democrat party control, California laws have become the norm exclusively for kangaroo courts. I reject your “eyes of the law” in California.

Thank you for validating my original point. For the third time, the PG&E power shut off has taught me that people WILL sue because “it’s someone else’s fault.“

There, I fixed the one and only relevant point you made. You live at the top of a “canyon” (think: “fire travels faster uphill”) adjacent to a “wilderness” area. Aka: “Tinderbox.”

An ounce of prevention is worth $600,000 of home destruction cure.

I suggest you sell and move. Immediately.
We can't all live in trailerparks. Luckily my ounce of prevention is brush management and fire stand offs. The only way AAA was able to insure me.

It's not "someone else's fault", it's 100% on pge for not performing vegetation management in their easements.

What CA can and will most likely do to the felon pge is break them up which is already being discussed.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Old 10-20-2019, 10:34 AM
Veteran Member

The only thing I’ve learned is that my plans to flee this state in a few years will have to be expedited.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

They're not liberals, they're leftists. Please don't use the former for the latter. Liberals are Locke, Jefferson, Burke, Hayek. Leftists are progressives, Prussian state-socialists, fascists. Liberals stand against the state and unequivocally support liberty. Leftists support state tyranny.

Old 10-20-2019, 7:48 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
We can't all live in trailerparks. Luckily my ounce of prevention is brush management and fire stand offs. The only way AAA was able to insure me.

It's not "someone else's fault", it's 100% on pge for not performing vegetation management in their easements.

What CA can and will most likely do to the felon pge is break them up which is already being discussed.

Break them up. Break up a viable company because people like you blame them for a fire when you shoulda kept your crap clear and free from the beginning? You chose to live in a dead forest? Pine needles, tree sap, kindling???? And it someone else’s fault for you making that decision?

Newsom says Trump is a criminal. He also says PG&E is criminal as well.

Again, it’s “not my fault,” right???

You’re probably voting for Bernie or Pocahontas, aren’t you?

‘Nuff said.

-ΙΧΘΥΣ <><
Old 10-20-2019, 8:05 PM

It only validated what I knew:
renters are takers and under repaired
lots of wimps and whiners in California if not the greater usa
my wife is hard core pioneer stock and I love that more than beer
that We love a good long outage because it is quiet enough to hear the birds and dark enough to see the milky way.
bring more of them and maybe the city rats will vacate the country

- Aut Pax Aut Bellum - Volunteer LDW
Old 10-20-2019, 8:32 PM

In my opinion PGE got too big like an obese human to take proper care of itself or it's equipment. Does that relieve it of it's responsibilities for the damage including fires it's equipment causes? Of course not and they should pay for the damages of their actions of any kind including power shutdowns. should it be broken up? Probably just like Bell telephone was many decades ago but then we will have all sorts of ripoffs and price increases? unions will object and PGE officials should end up in jail but it beats third world status for the next few generations. For those who like living in caves and roughing no one is stopping you but pitting yourselves against the rest is not going to do anything but alienate you. Thank the PUC and the governor for what you have and work against them not each other.
Old 10-20-2019, 8:42 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Break them up. Break up a viable company because people like you blame them for a fire when you shoulda kept your crap clear and free from the beginning? You chose to live in a dead forest? Pine needles, tree sap, kindling???? And it someone else’s fault for you making that decision?

Newsom says Trump is a criminal. He also says PG&E is criminal as well.

Again, it’s “not my fault,” right???

You’re probably voting for Bernie or Pocahontas, aren’t you?

‘Nuff said.
lol, bothering to educate yourself on the topic isn't important to you is it?

here you go:

1) "pge a viable company - pge hasnt been a viable company for decades. you probably need to look up the definition of viable.

2) "kept your crap clear and free" - pge is responsible for the utility tunnel/corridor/easement 100%. no one is allowed to perform tree work in this easement if not strictly permitted by pge or the local reponsible utility. if these corridors were actually kept clear, fires caused by pge would cease to exist.

3) "you chose to live in a dead forest" - pretty sure no one here lives in a dead forest. again, we all cannot live in trailer parks. part of owning land is maintenence, kinda like how you need to empty your holding tank and rotate your tires on a regular basis.

4) "its someone else's fault for you making that decision" - critical thinking is important here so i understand why youre missing out. just as i would hold an arsonist responsible for setting a fire due to malice, i hold pge responsible for setting a fire due to negligence.

5) "youre probably voting for bernie or pocahontas" - i understand trailer trash are typically poorly educated but damn, you definitely make the stereotype.

pge admitted recently in federal court that their equipment caused at least 10 fires in CA this year. strange that other drought-impacted areas like southern oregon served by pacific power havent had these utility set fires.
Old 10-21-2019, 7:04 PM

Round 2 will start mid week. Neighbors are trying to wise up, asking lots of questions.
Old 10-21-2019, 7:16 PM
Git-R-Done
CGN Contributor

wear sweaters indoors in winter, walk around in boxers indoors in summer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrassCase View Post
I only buy fireworks from Three Finger Willie over at One Eyed Jack's Fireworks.
iTrader

https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1884858
Old 10-21-2019, 7:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by big red View Post
In my opinion PGE got too big like an obese human to take proper care of itself or it's equipment. Does that relieve it of it's responsibilities for the damage including fires it's equipment causes? Of course not and they should pay for the damages of their actions of any kind including power shutdowns. should it be broken up? Probably just like Bell telephone was many decades ago but then we will have all sorts of ripoffs and price increases? unions will object and PGE officials should end up in jail but it beats third world status for the next few generations. For those who like living in caves and roughing no one is stopping you but pitting yourselves against the rest is not going to do anything but alienate you. Thank the PUC and the governor for what you have and work against them not each other.
Because Bell was broken up prices have gone down and new products/services provided. Sparked a Telecom boom and less dependence on government monopolies. Unions in the new tech boom never materialized. it would be a great idea if we can deregulate the Local and State Electric and Gas companies.
Old 10-21-2019, 8:15 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
“Entire state????” False. You’ve made a gross false assumption.

I work the large fires every single year. The overwhelming majority of the large encompassing fires in this state are hillside, wildlife (forest) and mountain brush fires. Down in the flat-lands of suburbia, 99.9% of the time there’s never a “mass wave” of fire affecting dozens upon dozens of houses. In fact, I can’t recall any massive sweeping fire that took place in the track homes of an urban neighborhood.

The tinderbox is where YOU most likely live. Hillsides, Forest, mountainous terrain.

I suggest you move. Immediately.
First, I'm not going anywhere.

Next, there are thousands of photos of destroyed neighborhoods available to you.

Show me the math for "99.9% of the time"

Next, what percentage of Californians live in "hillsides, forest, mountaninous terrain"?

Or, you can just continue with your know-nothing idiocy. Your choice.
CRPA Member

....."He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harrass our people, and eat out their substance."

Old 10-21-2019, 8:22 PM

I was thinking of something else my family and I have learned. We have learned we need tech / phone free days in the future. It's nice to listen to the radio and play games together. Im glad for the opportunity for us all to sample and share survival food. This way we know what to buy and what to pass on in the future. It has also encouraged us to rotate our stock. We defenetly did not need to dip into our supply but it was good time to teach the kids and we all laughed and had fun doing so. Today all the kids were excited about the power being out. We picked out our favorite games and put them on top of the player pianno to enjoy. Life is truly what you make of it and we are loving theese simple times. I hope everyone who will he effected will thrive and get some enjoyment.
Old 10-21-2019, 8:39 PM

It taught me that we moved out of CA just in time.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 10-22-2019, 6:02 AM

Overall we were prepared and comfortable. EU2000i ran great for well over 12 hours on a tank on ECO. I keep 10 gallons of treated non-ethanol fuel for the gen at all times. I get it at the station in Gardnerville in front of the Wal Mart there (blue-pumps). Bought an additional 300w portable electric power supply and 4 new lanterns since the outage. Never lost water so we didn't have to touch our fresh stash. 30K gallon pool out back in case things need to get creative.
Thankfully my building in Berkeley never lost power so the business could operate normally. If the Caldecott tunnel had been shut down as proposed that would have been a major inconvenience so I'm thankful that did not happen.
I'm considering buying another computer backup battery to keep the modem/router going; the one I have now in place kept the water hot on our tankless. My wife likes to surf on her IPAD and contribute on Instagram for business so I think I'll do it today.

"Leave the gun, take the cannoli"
Old 10-22-2019, 8:05 AM
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by bool1tholz View Post

I work with a lot of PGE contractors. It’s more like 20-30 years worth of work to fix the entire system.

http://media.liveauctiongroup.net/i/...CCAB7CE8D70F60
Old 10-22-2019, 8:11 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUTCH 7.62 View Post
I work with a lot of PGE contractors. It’s more like 20-30 years worth of work to fix the entire system.
Apparently PG&E has deferred routine maintenance, instead pocketed those $$million$, then declared bankruptcy.

What great country!
CRPA Member

Old 10-22-2019, 6:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUTCH 7.62 View Post
Accomplishing the task within 20 years seems too quick without massive rate increases.
The average age of transmission towers in the pg&e system is 68 years.
Useful life expectancy of those towers is only 65 years.
Old 10-22-2019, 6:29 PM

and we listened to all that crap about PG&E and how they were our neighbors and lived among us. All the BS commercials should have told us something was not right with this rotten company but not one executive either in management, the PUC, or the unions is going to spend a day in jail. The pelosi, Newsom, getty families will continue to collect their millions a day and we will suck out. When are people in california going to get mad enough to put these politicians in jail along with the rest? They set it up.
Old 10-23-2019, 7:43 AM

I was at a Kawasaki dealership in Medford, Oregon the other day looking at the Kawasaki Mule and saw five brand new Honda EU 2200 generators sitting on the shelf. This lead to a discussion between me and the salesman about the recent PG&E blackouts in Cali.

He said that during California's blackouts, a guy from Cali came in and bought 5 of the 6 EU 2200 generators they had in stock which is the only model they sell. While the five generators where headed out the door, the last one was snatched up by another dude from California. The guy who bought the first five was going to re-sell them back in California. Ah, free markets!

He also told me there are two other shops nearby that sell all manor of generators and other power equipment which is why they don't carry much in the way of generators since they don't want to try to compete with these other nearby sellers. Those other two shops completely sold out of everything they had in the way of generators in a single day; All of it headed to California.

So, the thing I learned or at least had reinforced is that the time to prepare is before the need is apparent. Hey, no sales tax in Oregon by the way and as of yesterday, there are plenty of generators to be had in Medford if you find yourself in the area.
Old 10-23-2019, 8:13 AM

Outages have taught me that Californians should not be too quick to mock North Korea.
Old 10-24-2019, 2:28 PM

Quote:
Apparently PG&E has deferred routine maintenance, instead pocketed those $$million$, then declared bankruptcy
Exactly.
The same thing happened to Oroville dam.
Old 10-24-2019, 7:18 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DolphinFan View Post
From the outside looking in it has taught me to get a Natural gas/Propane dual fuel 22kw generator and solar panels with battery storage.
and
You can NOT rely upon Government.
For ANYTHING.
Done, Done, and DONE!!

Thordo
Old 10-24-2019, 7:46 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thordo View Post
Done, Done, and DONE!!

Thordo
Why did you get batteries? How did the investment make sense financially?

Old 10-25-2019, 9:15 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Why did you get batteries? How did the investment make sense financially?

No batteries for the solar. They are VERY expensive and don't have a very good service life compared to a good generator. We had both systems put in before all this PG&E BS. When it snows we lose power and after being down for four days with no water a couple of years ago it was easy to justify the expense. The 23kw. The generator kicks on automatically and bypasses solar when PG&E goes out. Our 500 gallon propane tank can keep it running for 4 weeks straight, 6-8 weeks if we use gas conservatively.

Earlier this year when we had that huge snow storm, power was out for 10 days. Our neighbors and employees were coming over to do laundry, take showers, and drink hot toddies!!

IF there ever was a fire we can set out our fire suppression sprayers on the roof and bug out. The generator will keep the well running.

I do still want a 5K gallon storage tank though.

It's all a capitol improvement and is a nice tax write off.

Thordo
Old 10-25-2019, 10:25 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thordo View Post
No batteries for the solar. They are VERY expensive and don't have a very good service life compared to a good generator. We had both systems put in before all this PG&E BS. When it snows we lose power and after being down for four days with no water a couple of years ago it was easy to justify the expense. The 23kw. The generator kicks on automatically and bypasses solar when PG&E goes out. Our 500 gallon propane tank can keep it running for 4 weeks straight, 6-8 weeks if we use gas conservatively.

Earlier this year when we had that huge snow storm, power was out for 10 days. Our neighbors and employees were coming over to do laundry, take showers, and drink hot toddies!!

IF there ever was a fire we can set out our fire suppression sprayers on the roof and bug out. The generator will keep the well running.

I do still want a 5K gallon storage tank though.

It's all a capitol improvement and is a nice tax write off.

Thordo
Ok yeah I was wondering. No one I know has bought batteries because they're not really useful vs a generator.

When we bought our solar we also bought a generac 22kw unit so we could get the 30% rebate.

We have a 15k gallon water storage tank luckily that was over built by the previous owner. Owner stated that it would have been almost $50k for the tank but he got it from a vendor for $13k because it needed repair. Only issue we've had was with the generator battery dying. I need to get it on a trickle charger.

Last edited by NYT; 10-25-2019 at 10:28 AM..