Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Camping, Hiking and Outdoor Activities
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Camping, Hiking and Outdoor Activities Camping, hiking, and other outdoor activities within.

Old 10-15-2019, 10:11 PM
Calguns Addict

Default Recommend a Small, Lightweight, Rechargeable headlamp?

I apologize in advance for the long thread but Amazon's loaded with many great options (now including ones that turn on modes by just moving your hand closely in front of it). So these are the features I'm looking for, if someone has a good small version that's been 100% durable and reliable for them.

1.) This one should be small and lightweight.
(I have quite a few others but they are all on the larger style, loaded with lots of options , like red LEDs that don't steal your regular night vision or different types of LEDs for color and brightness).

2.) It has to be rechargeable with the regular micro USB plug because all the others I own are battery-operated so it's time for a backup to using batteries.

3.) It should have some type of an adjustment for pointing the angle of the light beam. (I've learned if you get sick of wearing them around your head, the elastic becomes too loose or gives you a headache you can turn them upside down and wear them around your neck but Only If they have that angle adjustment that's so many of the traditional ones have with a clicking base type feature.) That's almost a must have feature in my opinion.

4.) Different light modes.
I would settle for just super bright and a lower brightness but preferably I would like light modes similar to this and my preference is it in the order of...
a strong white,
a low power white,
a week or strong red LED.
( a convenient way to cycle through the modes would be nice, like that new hand waving in front of the unit but that's not an absolute necessary option.)

5.) And IF at all possible a strong Very Fast flashing white strobe light.
( I know most headlamps won't have that but I want to to see if it will scare the sheeet of the skunks I often run into at night. See how they like Me going on the offense, instead of me running away )

It's funny I'm the one asking about this because I'm one of the few members here that's always mentioning headlamps (on any type of lamp / flashlight thread) are so much better then traditional handheld flashlights... because if you're out at night or in the dark you're probably going to need one or both of your hands.
(I learned this from many nights of actual night time use in an area where there are no lights at all, yet our work still had to be done.)

Thank you in advance!

Last edited by sealocan; 10-15-2019 at 11:33 PM..
Old 10-15-2019, 10:26 PM

I have been using a Light & Motion Solite 250ex nearly daily for a few years now. No red light, pricey, but dang if I don’t pretty much love it.
Old 10-15-2019, 11:02 PM

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

end of story. Not even a close fight, really.
Old 10-16-2019, 8:47 AM

I have this and would buy another one in a heartbeat if I needed a second headlamp. I bought it to use when putting out decoy spreads when duck hunting. I use it for a lot more than that now.

https://www.amazon.com/Nitecore-HC60...2C215&sr=8-174
Old 10-16-2019, 9:34 AM
Calguns Addict

Thanks very much guys!

But to anyone else I'm still looking for something smaller and lighter than the great suggestions so far.
(and preferably in the around $50 or under range because I do lose these things occasionally.)

ponderosa , the one you showed is pricey but it does look like the ultimate bug out flashlight because it can be used as a handheld flashlight as well as a headlamp but it almost seems like it's meant to go on a mountain bike helmet because it's got the two separate parts.
( and what are you mountain bikers doing out at night? Don't you know me and the skunks are at War. [mentally insert footage from Knob Creek fun gun shootout.]

peekay331 , at 1600 lumens that is got to be the brightest headlamp I've ever heard about. Stunning and then hugging skunks I run into with a strobe light is one thing, blinding them completely in battle is probably going to get me banned from the UN.

but it does look like a real contender for me so far.

I would just like smaller and lighter, it doesn't have to be made of metal like some heavy duty units are.

estrom , I really like how your choice has a super low 1 Lumen setting (and five total light output settings) if you desired a night light in your tent or walking on a path you know that would make your battery last a very long time indeed.
Old 10-16-2019, 3:55 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by peekay331 View Post
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

end of story. Not even a close fight, really.
Nice one. I'd probably opt for a Samsung or Panasonic 18650. That is a bad place to suffer LION combustion.
Old 10-17-2019, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sealocan View Post
Thanks very much guys!

But to anyone else I'm still looking for something smaller and lighter than the great suggestions so far.
(and preferably in the around $50 or under range because I do lose these things occasionally.)

ponderosa , the one you showed is pricey but it does look like the ultimate bug out flashlight because it can be used as a handheld flashlight as well as a headlamp but it almost seems like it's meant to go on a mountain bike helmet because it's got the two separate parts.
( and what are you mountain bikers doing out at night? Don't you know me and the skunks are at War. [mentally insert footage from Knob Creek fun gun shootout.]

peekay331 , at 1600 lumens that is got to be the brightest headlamp I've ever heard about. Stunning and then hugging skunks I run into with a strobe light is one thing, blinding them completely in battle is probably going to get me banned from the UN.

but it does look like a real contender for me so far.

I would just like smaller and lighter, it doesn't have to be made of metal like some heavy duty units are.

estrom , I really like how your choice has a super low 1 Lumen setting (and five total light output settings) if you desired a night light in your tent or walking on a path you know that would make your battery last a very long time indeed.
I don't think it's really 1600 lumens. Probably more like 500-600lumens. I used to be really, really into flashlights and dollar for dollar, this is the best deal I have ever seen. I have several more expensive lights, including a Fenix headlamp that is similar in quality to the Nitecore that estrom linked, and this is the one that I grab when I need a light. The Fenix is nice, but it's about 2.5 times the cost of this light and candidly, while it might be a little brighter (maybe 15-20%) than this light, it's not really any better otherwise.

Also, it's really not that big. The pics on the ad are somewhat deceivingly large. It's about the size of one and a half 12 gauge shell. If that is still too big, I believe some brands may produce a AA version, or maybe even a RC123 version. The latter is about half the size of mine.

Last edited by peekay331; 10-17-2019 at 12:32 AM..
Old 10-17-2019, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crufflers View Post
Nice one. I'd probably opt for a Samsung or Panasonic 18650. That is a bad place to suffer LION combustion.
I think while that is true in theory, I haven't heard of any issues. These cells are supposedly protected and in my experience, the protection does work -- the light instantly turns off once it reaches a certain low voltage and doesn't allow the light to overdischarge. That being said, I have a bunch of 18650 cells so I don't necessarily have the supplied ones on my head.
Old 10-17-2019, 8:22 AM
Veteran Member

Skunks are basically blind and won't care about your light. If anything they will try to get closer or just spray as a matter or principle.
Old 10-17-2019, 8:49 AM
Calguns Addict

^ Thank you Epaphroditus , I did not know that.
And it goes to show you could learn something new everyday on calguns.

But as you probably could tell I was only joking about stunning skunks with "strobe headlights so that I could sneak up and hug them".

Although I have heard at a poker game that they are just like German tanks, in that they're most vulnerable if you sneak up real close behind them, right before you hug them.

In reality my plan is as it always has been when I see any skunks...

I do an about-face and leave their area.
Old 10-17-2019, 8:55 AM

I use a Black Diamond "Storm" headlamp.
Old 10-17-2019, 8:08 PM

You may find something from Fenix.

https://www.fenixlighting.com/produc...ory/headlamps/