Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Competition, Action Shooting And Training.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Competition, Action Shooting And Training. Competition, Three gun, IPSC, IDPA , and Training discussion here.

Old 11-09-2012, 9:42 AM

Skill builder next Saturday.. Hell yeah!!

http://falconops.net/schedule/
Old 11-15-2012, 10:08 AM

Whoohoo! Signed up. See you guys on Saturday.
Old 11-24-2012, 8:16 PM

http://www.costaludus.com/index.php?...ining/schedule

Just sign up fellas!!!
Old 11-24-2012, 8:28 PM

How does one get the discount code for this class?
Old 11-25-2012, 9:52 AM

I shoot with FOG all the time, not aware of any discount codes for the Costa class and doubt they exist.

I doubt there are any codes for skill builders either.

For regular courses, I believe there's a 25% off offer for those who repeat the course (alumni discount), you would need to call them to find out if you qualify and to get the code.

Last edited by lewisracing; 11-25-2012 at 9:55 AM..
Old 11-30-2012, 12:33 PM

2013 schedule up!!

http://falconops.net/schedule/2013-schedule/
Old 11-30-2012, 12:34 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambino83 View Post
Just a note that it's just a schedule and the links for registration will be set next week.

Old 11-30-2012, 12:39 PM

noted

DarkSkySolutions.com
Old 11-30-2012, 2:55 PM

UTM sounds interesting!
Old 11-30-2012, 3:16 PM

Damn, that sold out quick.
Old 11-30-2012, 3:42 PM

Quote:
The April section lists dates in march. Probably a typo.
Looking forward to taking some classes with them.
Old 12-01-2012, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewisracing View Post
I shoot with FOG all the time, not aware of any discount codes for the Costa class and doubt they exist.

I doubt there are any codes for skill builders either.

For regular courses, I believe there's a 25% off offer for those who repeat the course (alumni discount), you would need to call them to find out if you qualify and to get the code.
Thanks.
Old 12-02-2012, 8:03 AM
Vendor/Retailer

OMG! I just read this and spit my drink out on the woman in from of me on the plane. Well, guess thats a first at 37,000 feet. Wait, does that mean I made the mile high club? Guess not... Ram, awesome comment and so true! I will let Hollywood know.

Stay safe brother and hope to see you at another course real soon.

V.

Old 12-02-2012, 8:05 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzar View Post
Hollywood has a wife?! How does she get a word in?!
OMG! I just read this and spit my drink out on the woman in from of me on the plane. Well, guess thats a first at 37,000 feet. Wait, does that mean I made the mile high club? Guess not... Ram, awesome comment and so true! I will let Hollywood know.

V.

Old 12-02-2012, 8:09 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOW2000 View Post
No sweat, saw you guys have been running all over impressing people with the Ferfrans and knew you'd be short on time.

All signed up for some classes now that the links are all fixed.

For the guys that have shot at Prado, are they restricting steel core? Does FOG have a line on ammo on the cheap for us to pick up the day of the class?
As I write this I am sitting on a plane traveling for the week. Range yesterday for a Private course and left poor Hollywood by him self to teach today.

Links I think are all fixed. I am doing it myself and to be honest I am not a web guy. But, I will double check the links.

We do have a line on ammo, however, ammo right now is outrageous! I have to double check the numbers but let me know what you are looking for and/or I will post the numbers for the major calibers on Monday when I get the ammo price updates from our distributor. Yes, if you get ammo we have a special front door service in which you just show up and the ammo fairy brings it to you.

Let us know what you need. Send an email to us at:
info@falconops.net

V.

Old 12-02-2012, 8:12 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeknow View Post
Actually, I should amend my earlier post....we were on the range one day, and Voodoo had his truck on the range for some "from the front seat" drills. Somewhere along the way, he put his shot timer on his tire, rather than hoof it back to the benches. We started doing "other stuff", and forgot about it. Once the day was done, everybody pitched in to clean up the range. Just as he started to move his truck back to the benches prior to the AAR portion of the day, he ran it over. You could hear the "crunch" all over the canyon. Lol! I know he was bummed, but he laughed along with us.

Not a "safety issue", but certainly a casualty. Lol!
Since 2006 I have destroyed 5 shot timers. Hollywood said that I either have to have a custom kydex holster made with a level 3 retention or I am not allowed to hold one anymore.... wait, kydex shot timer holster....? Have to make a phone call.

Old 12-02-2012, 8:38 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Just a few words from 37,000 feet!

First off, we just wanted to thank all of you alumni for your support over the past years. 2012 was a great year for FOG and its students. As a testament to that, the last skill builder we held had 26 pistol shooters and 26 rifle shooters. Some pistol shooters left after the pistol portion and some rifle shooters showed up after that. So we thank you for all your support.

For those who are considering attending a 2013 FOG course we welcome you and invite you to join the family/team. Once you attend a FOG course we strive to maintain a "TEAM" mentality with everyone. For Hollywood and I you are not just a number or a student and its our mission objective to assist you in your personal goals of improving your skill sets. Thus, we look forward to meeting new team members come 2013! See you on the range.

Alumni, FOG has developed new courses and added additional equipment to increase your training experiences with us. We are adding a portable shoot house that is modular which, to my knowledge, no one else in the SoCal area has. The cool thing is this, we can pack it up and bring it anywhere. To that end, for additional SAFETY precautions, as you are well aware of, safety for us is paramount. I don't have a desire to plug holes, clamp arteries, decompress a check or any other medical aid skills that may need apply. To that end, the new home defense course will consist of UTM rounds and the proper safety gear will be provided and worn while training occurs. Stay tunned for more information on this.

Urban Defense. What does this mean? It means, think of the area around you and all the what if's... The goal is to prepare your body and mind while adding additional skills necessary to find solutions to problems that may be presented to you or your families. We will give you the fundamental skills required to deal with multiple situations. However, nothing in life is absolute so understand these are fundamentals. More to follow on this as well.

In May of 2013, FOG will have an alumni appreciation day and for new students or potential students you will have the opportunity to come and meet the instructors/alumni to see how we run our courses. This day will consist of several different stages of shooting and problem solving, shoot house fun drills for FOT (force on target/UTM's), steel challenge shoots and 1 other cool goodie that is not listed. But, during this particular day FOG will have a food service provided. YES, FOG is paying for all of this and all you have to do is show up! More to follow....

In closing. Again, thank you all for the continued support and we are looking forward to a great 2013, provided we make it pass December 21, 2012 that is...

Stay safe and stay classy San Diego....

Falcon
www.falconops.net
info@falconops.net
O) 714.248.6509 (assistant will answer Ram)

Old 12-02-2012, 3:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FALCONOPS View Post
Since 2006 I have destroyed 5 shot timers. Hollywood said that I either have to have a custom kydex holster made with a level 3 retention or I am not allowed to hold one anymore.... wait, kydex shot timer holster....? Have to make a phone call.
I will testify to Charles destroying 3 shot timers. He does not have the hands of a diamond cutter. The only time he was extra careful with a shot timer was the periods he was borrowing mine.
Old 12-02-2012, 3:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FALCONOPS View Post

V.
Indeed. I'm in on the UTM course in March.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:24 AM

Saturday folks.. Costa Prep course.

Only $100... See you there!

http://falconops.net/products-page/c...ion-duplicate/

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355772274.247782.jpg
Old 12-23-2012, 9:29 AM

I got the opportunity to attend the "Pre Costa" class yesterday. A little tired this morning, those guys worked us good. Ran the first half of the day with pistols and finished out the rest of the day with the carbine. If you havent attended a Falcon class do your self a favor and sign up. You will get some good training, you will learn what works with your gear and set up, you will also learn what doesnt work and you will do plenty of shooting. The instructors will always take the time to answer your questions and always willing to help you with some personal attention. Thanks guys and I look forward to the next one !

Old 12-23-2012, 5:55 PM

I just took the Costa Prep class at Prado...good instruction...I was bummed 'cause it was my first time shooting my Glock 21 (I had planned on going several times to the range a half mile from me but...). I got it based on my last Close Combat handgun course instructor's recommendation (and the census of other class members) even though I generally don't like Glock's and I was fumbling around 'cause I wasn't used to manipulating double stacked magazines and the Glock grip. I think I will stipple the frame for my off-hand thumb, and not install my extended slide release.

I felt like I was back to square one in the morning pistol portion, but I felt good about the class 'cause I got great instruction on what I was doing wrong, and corrections.

My friends didn't understand why I didn't talk much on the first magazine filling session...Charlie runs a tight ship.

I didn't ask, but the way they run their blocks of instruction reminds me of the Gunnery Sergeants at NETC, Newport, RI

I think I need to bring more magazines next time

Oh, and for the afternoon session I was trying out a cheap red dot (instead of borrowing a friend's Aimpoint) to see if I liked it vs. my 2x8 scope...the red dot died when shooting. Luckily, I use a QD and my iron sights were sighted in. What's that phrase? Buy cheap, buy twice? Glad I learned now instead of the hard way later.

Looking forward to the next class.
= = =

Oh and for the Costa Carbine Class, the minimum round recommendation is 1800 and 300 for handgun and five rifle magazines...I'm guessing you'll probably want to bring more.

If you're planning on ordering ammo from Falcon, make sure you call in on availability before you order for a class. Charlie told me that low cost 5.56 ammo supply is tight right now and that I'd have had to go to LA to pick up my order for the Prep class. I live at least an hour away so I respectfully declined and just used what I had...I'll be picking up ammo from "a friend of a friend" before the Costa class so I don't dig into my stores, but I'd recommend that everyone make sure of their supply line now. All the online sources I checked this past week was out of the decent cheap stuff and one of the guys at the range kept cursing their department issued ammunition. Thank you Obama.

Last edited by NulodPBall; 12-26-2012 at 4:20 AM..
Old 01-01-2013, 5:44 PM

Costa! Tick tock tick tock
Old 01-01-2013, 9:33 PM

This year just the Chris Costa HE02 for me. I'm sure it'll be even better than last year's since it'll now be at Prado Olympic Shooting Park in Chino vs. Raahauge's Shooting Enterprises in Corona which affords us a lot more flexibility, space and comfort, better paper targets, steel targets which were not there last year and most importantly a tougher class per the Costa man himself:

Quote:

Hi Chris,

I may be interested in taking HE02 again on January 4-6, 2013 but wanted to know if it's pretty much the same class or that you've enhanced it in some ways this year.

Appreciate it,
iRam
Chris's response (and my impetus to reup):

Quote:

It's a no **** hard class, most dangerous class I teach, you love it brother I promise. Way changed....
Additionally, I read a very nice review from a VERY recent HE02 class:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzar View Post
For those of you also attending the sold-out 3-day Costa Ludus Handgun Employment 02 class at Prado Olympic Shooting Park in Chino on January 4-6, 2013 here's a nice review of that same class recently held at Rocky Creek Ranch, Myakka, Florida on November 9-11, 2012:
Op-Ed and Review: The Armed Citizen and Costa’s HE02 (Part 1 of 2)

Op-Ed and Review: The Armed Citizen and Costa’s HE02 (Part 2 of 2)
The only presumptive downside is the 22 students for the class. However, that's tempered somewhat with 2 assistant instructors at all times. We'll see...

High round count course with many repetitions to hone in the drills just like my recent Jeff Gonzales and Dave Harrington classes. Not easy on the ammo budget but well worth it in my opinion since while you're already there with the material fresh on your mind you get to practice it to the point of it almost registering...
Old 01-07-2013, 1:49 PM

@ramzar

How was it?
Old 01-07-2013, 2:48 PM

Quote:
@ramzar

How was it?
Great class and a lot different than last year. Lots of drills for strong and reaction hand only including malfunction clearance from standing, kneeling, prone and supine positions. Like Chris says you have to learn and practice for all eventualities. Chris would clearly explain the reasons for everything, demo it and build upon it once the students ran each drill while getting proper diagnostics. Most drills encompassed alternate methods and students could opt out of any. No doubt that some drills were dangerous but not unsafe if done slowly with great awareness for muzzle discipline. All the extra eyes helped a lot.

We had 24-25 shooters and 2-4 assistant instructors depending on the day. First and most important day 1 had 4 assistant instructors. I went through 2,025 rounds over the 3 days. Shooters had a big variety of pistols including 1911s and various pistols with decockers.
Old 04-14-2013, 1:29 PM

FOG CQD Training 4/13/2013

CQD 1.0 was a great class. 10 students and instructors Voodoo and Hollywood!

I've taken all of their courses before (Pistol 1.0-2.0 & Carbine 1.0-2.0) but this CQD was my very first. The day began with life safety rules and medical brief. This is consistent with every FOG course as they are heavy on the safety on and off the "Range". We spent the first couple hours warming up with live fire drills. The class was a mixer of new students and Alumni. After warm up, it was time to go to the shoot house.

Before we began the CQD training we had to convert our weapon systems to accept the UTM rounds FOG provided. UTM or Ultimate Training Munitions are the coolest things I have ever seen. Besides being non-lethal, we were still able to use or own complete weapons systems with it. The instructors provided the conversion kits and training rounds. The only thing we changed was our bolt carrier group and magazines. FOG, by the way, are the only training outfit I know of using UTMs.

I'm not an expert on the UTMs but I can say they are more accurate than air rifles and paint ball guns. They also recoil the exact same way compared to live rounds. Hearing protection is not required too. The sound of a UTM going off is softer than a 22lr.

The CQD portion was great. There was a shoot house FOG built and multiple scenarios were created throughout the day. The training was very detailed and explained/reasoned very well. I had a great time working with the other students on team drills and the solo portion of the shoot house. A lot fun and learned a lot. This was a great change from the typical "Square" range days and a great opportunity to use what I've already learned in the past. I'm taking two friends with me to their next CQD class in June.

See you on the range!

http://falconops.net/

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365974972.066874.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1365974990.342350.jpg
Old 04-14-2013, 7:33 PM

Awesome report! Completely bummed that I couldn't attend this weekend. Need to get the June class on my calendar ASAP.
Old 04-14-2013, 8:48 PM

I missed it too, busy weekend... hope to make the June class as well!
Old 04-28-2013, 12:50 AM

Hmmm I just noticed that the Alumni Skill Builders day is June 8th.

I missed the one in March, for some reason I couldn't sign up for it online so I figured it was cancelled.

The CQ Home Defense is the next day.

I think I'm taking another course the weekend before...darn this ammo situation.

From The Codex Kalachnikova: "He who would have you surrender your arms does so because he wishes to do something you could prevent by their usage."

Why is the idea of an unarmed elementary school principal lunging at an armed shooter and dying in the process heroic... but the idea of that same principal armed and stopping the armed shooter with her own gun... crazy? –from screen name “Voiceofreason”
Old 04-29-2013, 10:27 PM

Falcon sells ammo. Its cheaper than most places right now, and available at class.
Old 05-06-2013, 12:26 PM

I took Pistol 1.0 with Falcon this past weekend and came away impressed with the instructors and curriculum. The ammo provided below the current market price is excellent to boot.

I plan on taking Carbine 1.0 on May 18th.
Old 05-10-2013, 4:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by advan031 View Post
I took Pistol 1.0 with Falcon this past weekend and came away impressed with the instructors and curriculum. The ammo provided below the current market price is excellent to boot.

I plan on taking Carbine 1.0 on May 18th.
See you the 18th and the 19th if you signed up for both.
Old 05-27-2013, 3:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewisracing View Post
Falcon sells ammo. Its cheaper than most places right now, and available at class.
No fault of Charlie's but I got caught short at the December class when I ordered ammo. The ammo prices aren't down to what I'm used to paying but at least it's available.

As a result, I won't sign up for a class unless I already have ammo to cover it, then if I get the ammo at class, I just shoot it instead and keep the good stuff for later.

Thanks for the reminder.

From The Codex Kalachnikova: "He who would have you surrender your arms does so because he wishes to do something you could prevent by their usage."

Why is the idea of an unarmed elementary school principal lunging at an armed shooter and dying in the process heroic... but the idea of that same principal armed and stopping the armed shooter with her own gun... crazy? –from screen name “Voiceofreason”
Old 06-07-2013, 6:57 PM

Skill builder tomorrow. Hell yeah!!
Old 06-07-2013, 8:16 PM

Right on... See you guys in the morning.
Old 06-09-2013, 7:15 PM

HANDGUN SKILL BUILDER: We came, we saw, we shot some guns. Excellent opportunity to work the fundamentals (and mine need work).

I had a great time. Good to see familiar faces and also meet some new people.

The modified el Pres at the end was a highlight. I got a kick out of that.

If you didn't shoot Dan's (pretty sure it was Dan's) Salient Arms Glock then you missed out. That thing is the ****.

See you next time.
-case-

Last edited by Case; 06-09-2013 at 7:20 PM.. Reason: add info
Old 06-11-2013, 8:21 AM

Location: I did notice how far over I've moved this part of my info. I tried it, and it was fun.

Hey guys
Been watching some videos and reading the website and Im pretty interested. I am a front sight member but I am open to other training. So far I have taken the 4 day practical rifle, 2 day defensive handgun and 2 day tactical shotgun. I have some questions and Im hoping that someone who has been to both places can help me out.

1. How does FS compare?
2. Do I need to start at the bottom of FOG or will my FS experience help me take a higher level course?
3. Since we are in CA how does the carbine course work? Assuming we have to have 10 rounds and cant drop mag.

Thanks
Old 06-11-2013, 9:19 PM

I can't answer your first two questions because I'm not a Front Sight member. But I can give you some feedback.

Best way is to call or email and ask directly. They will probably have some specific questions about your previous training and might insist on you taking the 1.0 courses to get a feel for how they run their curriculum.

A lot of times it's more a safety issue than a skill issue. If you demonstrate safety and competence then you should be good to go.

For example, we had guys in the class last weekend that had taken some 'training' and they were a mess. I'm not saying that's you, I'm saying until they see you handle a gun then they probably won't green light you past the 1.0. And as a fellow student I prefer it that way.

That said, there is plenty to practice in 1.0 if you have only taken a 2 day defensive handgun course. A 2 day class isn't much but that's all you listed so maybe you've got more training.

Same with carbine: unless you have a lot of good practice then one class isn't much. Worst case is you take carbine 1.0, show everyone how it's done, win the shoot-offs, say 'I told you so'.

I've taken seven handgun classes in the past year (mix of beginner and advanced) and I still get good value practice on the fundamentals in a 1.0 class.

So call them, explain your situation and see what they say.

Also: Falcon has a 100% money back guarantee on their classes. If you don't feel like you got your money's worth you tell them at the end of the day, tell them why, and they will refund your money. I don't think anyone has ever done it, but it's an option.
Hope that helps.
-case-

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallfornoone View Post
Hey guys
Been watching some videos and reading the website and Im pretty interested. I am a front sight member but I am open to other training. So far I have taken the 4 day practical rifle, 2 day defensive handgun and 2 day tactical shotgun. I have some questions and Im hoping that someone who has been to both places can help me out.

1. How does FS compare?
2. Do I need to start at the bottom of FOG or will my FS experience help me take a higher level course?
3. Since we are in CA how does the carbine course work? Assuming we have to have 10 rounds and cant drop mag.

Thanks

Last edited by Case; 06-11-2013 at 9:23 PM..
Old 06-12-2013, 1:49 PM

Yup.. I agree with Case.