Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calgunners in Service
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calgunners in Service This forum is a place for our active duty and deployed members to share, request and have a bit of home where ever they are.

Old 03-29-2013, 1:42 PM

Default Thinking of visiting a recruiter

Hey everybody I am thinking of joining a branch of the armed forces. My family has history serving in the Navy and Army. I was planning on taking some time this month to go visit a recruitment office and see what kind of possibilities are open to me. If anybody has any info they could give me to help me figure things out before I go I would appreciate it.
I am thinking the Marines. I am turning 19 soon and feel like I am just wasting my life and not doing anything "productive". I have had it in my mind that I have wanted to enlist ever since I was around 15. I don't want to wait too long and miss out on my chance do to this because I know I will regret it for the rest of my life if I do. How would you guys recommend I prepare myself (physically) and what documentation I will need to have with me when I go in, what MOS should I look into, basically what should I expect?

Thank you for taking the time to help me out
Ryan

Thank you all for your service.

Last edited by Written; 03-29-2013 at 2:26 PM..
Old 03-29-2013, 2:00 PM

Ok so waiting and wastime time not always a bad idea.
My son joined the Navy last year at the ripe old age of 29
Try to find a service where you can learn something that will give you a leg up in finding a civilian job after yout military career ends.
Get your self in top physical condition before you go in so that you will be able to with stand the rigors of military boot camp and training.
Get yourself mentally prepared for the challenge, long hours, low pay and the possibility of a crappy duty station.
Figure out what branch you most want to join and spend some time with the recruiting personnel.
Check out the various web sites for familys, wives etc of different services to see what they have to say about the choices you are about to take.
Remember once you are accepted and join the government basically owns you for about 8 years including active duty and reserve commitments.
Old 03-29-2013, 2:07 PM
Calguns Addict

Something I did not know when I joined:

You may take the ASVAB with one service but with the results you can join ANY service. Take the test with the Marines, if they do not have a job you like ask the other recruiters.
Old 03-29-2013, 2:14 PM

I have worked crap jobs before and I can't find one at all now - I feel like I am wasting my life in that sense. I have gone almost 6 months with no work and have been looking every day. I have always lived in military households(retired) and my family has had one member from every generation in different branches/countries for as far back as I could find. When I first got with my SO she told me we were through if I enlisted - she has now changed her mind because a lot of her friends(going through medical school) are enlisting as nurses, I feel I have my chance and I need to prepare and take it ASAP...
Nastyhabts26 - Please tell your son that I thank him for his service.

My great grandfather was in the navy in WW2 - I have his tour books somewhere.
Old 03-29-2013, 2:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnre View Post
Something I did not know when I joined:

You may take the ASVAB with one service but with the results you can join ANY service. Take the test with the Marines, if they do not have a job you like ask the other recruiters.
Thank you for this - I will definately keep that in mind.
Old 03-29-2013, 3:50 PM

Knowing what you want to do in the Military and how you will apply what you learn when you get out is very important. You also need to know that the Recruiters only job is to get you to MEPS and then to make sure you ship. At MEPS you will deal with completely different people who will try to fill completely different quotas. Stick to your guns and don't settle for something you don't want to do just to get in.
Old 03-29-2013, 4:09 PM

And don't accept anything unless its in writing.
Old 03-29-2013, 5:02 PM
Calguns Addict

What career fields are you interested in? Medical? Aviation? Kickin down doors? Study and do your best on the ASVAB to open up a wide array of job options. You're at a prime age to enlist I wish I joined right after high school but better late than never I guess.
Old 03-29-2013, 5:19 PM
Calguns Addict

just to double tap on what evidens said , Find a career field you want first of all and then pick the branch you want to join. If you want adventure then the Army/Marines would be the way to go if you want to service in a life of luxury then the Air Force.

My advice to you is to find a job in the military that you can enjoy and later transition into the Civilian world.
3) Saltworks M5 upper/lower set

Old 03-29-2013, 5:55 PM

I may sound a little jaded, but don't waste your 4/5/6 year enlistment. I've seen too many Marines do it. No matter which branch you choose to serve in, stepping off that parade deck and claiming to be a Marine/Soldier/Sailor/Airman isn't carte blanche for you to screw off.

Dedicate yourself to your work. Seek to become THE subject matter expert of your MOS/Rate. Achieve a level of physical fitness so that your seniors will look to you to lead PT/combat conditioning in spite of your junior rank. Learn what it means to be a leader, and how to professionally interact with others. Those are things you will never be able to learn didactically at any academic institution.

If you don't have the dedication to commit yourself to those goals, save the government the paycheck and yourself some grief.

No matter what cards (jobs) you're dealt, service is what you make of it. You can choose to let either sheer incompetence, materialistic pleasure, or a dependency on drugs/alcohol destroy you, or you can use your time in to defibrillate what you allege to be a stagnant lifestyle.

I hope you make the right choice for yourself.
"There is an old song which asserts that "the best things in life are free". Not true! Utterly false! This was the tragic fallacy which brought on the decadence and collapse of the democracies of the twentieth century; those noble experiments failed because the people had been led to believe that they could simply vote for whatever they wanted… and get it, without toil, without sweat, without tears."
Old 03-29-2013, 7:41 PM

Reading through all the replies - I guess I should say I want to do 1 of 4 things. 1:LEO 2:Lockheed 3:boeing 4:gunsmith
in that order. I know #4 will end up being a hobby. I know 4 people who work for lockheed and I might be able to use that to my advantage in the future.

I do want to be able to say I have fought for my country, I want to have a feeling of being part of something. All throughout my life I have been backstabbed and I want to have a group of people I know I can trust my life with.

I am very good at picking up paterns and taking note of routines and such. I know I need to get into better physical shape... but I am good with mathematics and reading comprehension... if that will help with anything.
Old 03-29-2013, 9:39 PM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan

I joined the Army to beef up my resume' for a career in law enforcement. It worked. I've been a LEO for 13 years now and I am proud of my military time and service. Comparing the two careers, the military was in a lot of ways more enjoyable than my current career, if less lucrative.

There is solid advice from the above poster. Join and aim to excel. There a lot of s-bags in the military. Be squared away, and learn your MOS in and out. Wear your uniform with honor and lead from the front.

Now go enlist. Everyone is nervous as hell when enlisting and shipping out to basic. Get through the initial growing pains and you will love it.
Old 03-30-2013, 5:11 AM

Job skills son...Get a job with transferable skills. Trigger pullers can't do much after they get out. Killin is looked down upon as a civie.

Aviation is always a sure bet. Arms repair might be cool, but unless you start your own gun business, pretty useless.

Whatever you choose, ask yourself before you sign the contract.... When I get out, is there a job for me with my MOS? If you have to think about it more than a few seconds, that's the wrong MOS.

If it's not in writing, it did not happen so everything they promise, get it in writing. Ask about the College Fund in addition to the GI Bill and enlistment bonuses as well.

Remember.... In the Corps, you ain't jack until you hit NCO. In the Navy, you are a peon till you hit Chief. No clue on army. Air Force seems pretty even keeled from what my partner was telling me. Not as many rank games and far more respect within the ranks. He was Air Force Security Forces and went OSI later.
Old 03-30-2013, 7:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Ricigliano View Post
I joined the Army to beef up my resume' for a career in law enforcement. It worked. I've been a LEO for 13 years now and I am proud of my military time and service.

This is what I have been reading a lot about, and I would love to work in Law Enforcement at some point.

What branch would you join if you had to choose again? I want to make sure I don't rush into it because that is when I make mistakes, but I also don't want to wait to long for it.
Old 03-30-2013, 7:25 AM

Anyone know if they actually have a zero-waiver policy, currently?

"Friends don't let friends play bubba gunsmith."
SlickmisterN
Old 03-30-2013, 7:46 AM
Veteran Member

Just to keep you on your toes... And not to be a downer or anything... But...

Joining the military because you need a job may not be the right decision. Make sure it is a decision you have made and are committed to- not something you are doing because you have nothing else to do.

Sent from a deserted island using a message in a bottle....
Old 03-30-2013, 8:02 AM

Getting in with a waiver is going to be hard depending on what it is. If you have a question you don't want to ask in an open forum you can pm me. I was a recruiter for the marine corps for 3 1/2 years and I know all of the requirements etc. soup nazi is right about wasting away your enlistment. I also can tell you that a high school grad is going to get less choices than a high school senior. Simply based on you will not be able to stay in the DEP that long. Recruiters are not all liars. Even though some will tell you otherwise. I was good at what I did because I was honest. If you question something someone is telling you ask me. Regardless of service if you sit down with them they are going to go through a set process of meetings to try to get you to join as that is their job.

All of the services are slimming down and getting what you want may be quite difficult. If they tell you they don't have that job then they don't have it. You also might not be qualified for it depending on a lot of different things.

Best thing to do is go talk to a Marine recruiter and see what they have to say. Don't join just for the job though. It's much more than that.
Old 03-30-2013, 8:26 AM
Banned

Don't be foolish and enlist-
this government has been violating 3rd world countries,
assasinating leaders, turning over democratically elected governments,
the War on Terror is a lie and a false flag event;
it is a patriotic thing to serve your country in a time of REAL war,
it is quite another thing to be used as a pawn for big banks, Wall Street and London (financiers) to loot kill and do the diabolical things that this government and its leaders have done/are doing,
I refer you to the book War is a Racket by retired United States Marine Corps Major General and two time Medal of Honor recipient Smedley D. Butler

Respectfully,
sunaj
Old 03-30-2013, 9:16 AM

Im in a similar situation as you but unlike you Im old at 32 years of age. I wanted to join about 5 years ago after I had a break up but my family objected saying it was just because I was sad. Sad thing is I have always wanted to join but never been free of commitment and responsibilities till my post break up time. It was really the best time for me to join but I gave in to my family and stayed put. Now I still have the desire to join and if I was physically fit I would sign papers today.

I would urge you to think about why you really want to join. Is it for yourself, your country, or are you just trying to continue a family tradition? Do you just want a pay check? I really dont care but you must understand why so you can base other actions on that reason. If you just want a pay check then you could pick some MOS that isn't all that desirable but wont put you on the front line but hey you still get paid for your service. Understand your motives and maintain a logical thought process based on reaching an intended goal/end result. You mention Lockheed and Boeing as a possible career option and I would strongly suggest researching extensively what these employers look for when hiring personal with military backgrounds. Ask yourself what do you plan to do for them and how they would benefit from your planned military training. So a cook is not going to work on an airframe but hey a machinist could come in handy when building a multimillion dollar piece of hardware.

Definitely take the ASVAB test so you get a better look at what jobs you are available for you to fill. My brother is going Coast Guard and his choice of job wasn't open so he waited about a month till it was available then he agreed to join. Score high enough and they will want to join asap but it may be better for you join later when the job you want is open because of the later opportunities it can lead to down the road. you may find out it would be better for you to get some college education in a specific area of study to better your chances in filling a military job you actually want.

I would also recommend getting in shape to the point that you can pass the requirement to exit basic training. What I wasnt aware of is that the entrance requirements are different from the exit requirements. you dont want to be the guy that stand out because of your physicality. With all the cut backs some branches dont want to enroll people that can barely pass the PT requirement for entrance.

thats it for now Ill check back in a bit
Old 03-30-2013, 11:32 AM

I am working on my physical fitness at this time
people are asking why I want to join - I want to do it for myself. I feel it will give me a sense of being. It's not that I am doing it for a job - I can't find a job and it is giving me more incentive to do what I have wanted to do since before I was old enough to get a real job. I don't feel like I need to continue a family tradition, but I would like to.
I need to be beat into shape, I need to be a part of something bigger. I don't have a member of my family today who is sober and I haven't spoken to them in 5+ years and none of them know that I even want to do this.

In short - I feel like I NEED to do this for myself, but I know I really need to get in better shape first - in the last 2 years I have gone from 250lbs - 150lbs and I just need to start running more and working out... I want to be prepared before I start the process so I know I am not wasting anybodies time.
Old 03-30-2013, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Written View Post
I am working on my physical fitness at this time
people are asking why I want to join - I want to do it for myself. I feel it will give me a sense of being. It's not that I am doing it for a job - I can't find a job and it is giving me more incentive to do what I have wanted to do since before I was old enough to get a real job. I don't feel like I need to continue a family tradition, but I would like to.
I need to be beat into shape, I need to be a part of something bigger. I don't have a member of my family today who is sober and I haven't spoken to them in 5+ years and none of them know that I even want to do this.

In short - I feel like I NEED to do this for myself, but I know I really need to get in better shape first - in the last 2 years I have gone from 250lbs - 150lbs and I just need to start running more and working out... I want to be prepared before I start the process so I know I am not wasting anybodies time.
right on, what area are you in?
Old 03-30-2013, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynamomark80 View Post
right on, what area are you in?
Santa cruz - closest recruitment office is in Capitola
Old 03-30-2013, 1:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unit74 View Post
Job skills son...Get a job with transferable skills. Trigger pullers can't do much after they get out. Killin is looked down upon as a civie.

Aviation is always a sure bet. Arms repair might be cool, but unless you start your own gun business, pretty useless.

Whatever you choose, ask yourself before you sign the contract.... When I get out, is there a job for me with my MOS? If you have to think about it more than a few seconds, that's the wrong MOS.

If it's not in writing, it did not happen so everything they promise, get it in writing. Ask about the College Fund in addition to the GI Bill and enlistment bonuses as well.

Remember.... In the Corps, you ain't jack until you hit NCO. In the Navy, you are a peon till you hit Chief. No clue on army. Air Force seems pretty even keeled from what my partner was telling me. Not as many rank games and far more respect within the ranks. He was Air Force Security Forces and went OSI later.
Going to have to disagree with you here.

Maybe in pouge jobs you aren't **** until you hit nco but I know many lcpls in the infantry who work jobs in multiple billets above them. Myself and one of my peers were both squad leader lcpls, a pfc who went to assault climbers was giving advice to our CO on how to properly deal with a downed helo on a mission, I could go on but in combat arms, from what I have experienced, most guys aren't out to prove anything they are there to get the job done whether that means asking help from a pfc or giving lcpls responsibilities a sgt normally has. I was on first name basis with most of the ncos in my company as a lance.

If you are relatively intelligent you should have no problem taking advantage of the GI Bill for trade school or a degree once you get out, do something that you will never get to do again. Find me a mechanic, cook, logistics, admin, airwing, anyone except maybe arty and engineer who gets to blow stuff up, shoot, helo raids, boat raids, truck raids, grenades, machine guns. While combat operations will most likely be over by the time he gets into the fleet the training you do whether in the states or on a meu deployment is actually fun and something you will never get to experience.

I would do something you can't do as a civillian, you have 4 years that will shape you for the rest of your life, if you just want to become a mechanic or learn a skill go to a trade school and be done with it. You will make more money, won't need a stupid haircut, and will have freedom to do what you want. If you want to have a once in a lifetime experience and be the center of the service go infantry, or combat arms. Remember nobody says "oh were basically the admin of the airwing'' they say things like ''oh I'm basically the infantry of admin'' and in the army and MC every single job that doesn't start with the classification 03 or 11 is there for the sole purpose of supporting the 03xx and 11x mos' and ensuring they complete the mission.

Last edited by TAK; 03-30-2013 at 1:49 PM..
Old 03-30-2013, 3:49 PM

It's POG(person other than grunt), you must be a boot. It's ok though lol. And you have plenty of responsibility as a POG non-NCO. For example a crew chief, or plane captain on the aviation side is regularly a LCpl. Which is what they come out of school as 9 times out of 10.

And going to a trade school alone is just that, a school. Not experience which has more value in a trade. Oh and by the way there is the USMAP program and journeyman's program as well that you can't do nearly as easy in the civilian world.
This guy is trying to decide what he wants to do you should offer him facts over opinions and if you don't know the facts don't offer advice on that particular subject.
Old 03-30-2013, 4:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAK View Post
Going to have to disagree with you here.

Maybe in pouge jobs you aren't **** until you hit nco but I know many lcpls in the infantry who work jobs in multiple billets above them.
Billets really don't mean squat..... It's a tampon position; there is a bleed and you fill it. All Marines find themselves there one day or another. It's part of the daily grind.

I know you know there is a serious benchmark when you pick up the Blood Stripe. You stand a bit taller and your responsibility as an NCO goes through the roof.

Quote:

I would do something you can't do as a civillian, you have 4 years that will shape you for the rest of your life........

Yea... Don't learn ANYTHING that will support your for the rest of your life. That's silly. Go shoot guns and kick doors in for 4 years. When you come home, go work at Micky D's or the local stop and rob till you figure out what your gonna do with the rest of your life. Hopefully an assassins job pops up on Craigslist you can put in for.

Quote:
...........remember nobody says "oh were basically the admin of the airwing'' they say things like ''oh I'm basically the infantry of admin'' and in the army and MC every single job that doesn't start with the classification 03 or 11 is there for the sole purpose of supporting the 03xx and 11x mos' and ensuring they complete the mission.

OP... Don't listen to this guy at all. He's blowin that "were infantry and bad arse" up your skirt.... Pure crap.

Listen ASVAB waiver, nothing you do can run without the rest of the Corps making sheet happen. And don't think your job is special.... Remember, all Marines are riflemen. As a matter of fact, if you took a look at who is really out on patrols in country, you'll find out you ain't that special at all. Anyone in the Corps can do your job.... See bad guy, frontsight post-rear sight aperture-squeeze trigger and let the break surprise you. Put a wrench in your hand and now go fix a jet or figure out how to get someone paycheck funded and see what happens.

03's are spokes on a wheel going round and round...... Calling for air or arty when your getting your arse handed to you in a village must be very humbling for you. After all, they are just POGs who have MOS's that don't start with 03, ya know.....
Old 03-30-2013, 4:41 PM

Simple answer! DO IT! Best descision I made in my life.
Old 03-30-2013, 4:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The sarge View Post
It's POG(person other than grunt), you must be a boot. It's ok though lol. And you have plenty of responsibility as a POG non-NCO. For example a crew chief, or plane captain on the aviation side is regularly a LCpl. Which is what they come out of school as 9 times out of 10.

And going to a trade school alone is just that, a school. Not experience which has more value in a trade. Oh and by the way there is the USMAP program and journeyman's program as well that you can't do nearly as easy in the civilian world.
This guy is trying to decide what he wants to do you should offer him facts over opinions and if you don't know the facts don't offer advice on that particular subject.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unit74 View Post
Billets really don't mean squat..... It's a tampon position; there is a bleed and you fill it. All Marines find themselves there one day or another. It's part of the daily grind.

I know you know there is a serious benchmark when you pick up the Blood Stripe. You stand a bit taller and your responsibility as an NCO goes through the roof.

Yea... Don't learn ANYTHING that will support your for the rest of your life. That's silly. Go shoot guns and kick doors in for 4 years. When you come home, go work at Micky D's or the local stop and rob till you figure out what your gonna do with the rest of your life. Hopefully an assassins job pops up on Craigslist you can put in for.

OP... Don't listen to this guy at all. He's blowin that "were infantry and bad arse" up your skirt.... Pure crap.

Listen ASVAB waiver, nothing you do can run without the rest of the Corps making sheet happen. And don't think your job is special.... Remember, all Marines are riflemen. As a matter of fact, if you took a look at who is really out on patrols in country, you'll find out you ain't that special at all. Anyone in the Corps can do your job.... See bad guy, frontsight post-rear sight aperture-squeeze trigger and let the break surprise you. Put a wrench in your hand and now go fix a jet or figure out how to get someone paycheck funded and see what happens.

03's are spokes on a wheel going round and round...... Calling for air or arty when your getting your arse handed to you in a village must be very humbling for you. After all, they are just POGs who have MOS's that don't start with 03, ya know.....
Lots of hate, I wasn't saying pogs suck I simply said do something you couldn't do as a civilian. I cited combat arms multiple times which includes non grunt mos'. I could get into a **** talking match and cite my civilian and military accomplishments, certs, and degrees but I don't care what you think of me this is an internet forum. I posted advice for the OP he can choose to listen to whomever he wants.
Old 03-30-2013, 5:21 PM

Quote:
Lots of hate, I wasn't saying pogs suck I simply said do something you couldn't do as a civilian. I cited combat arms multiple times which includes non grunt mos'. I could get into a **** talking match and cite my civilian and military accomplishments, certs, and degrees but I don't care what you think of me this is an internet forum. I posted advice for the OP he can choose to listen to whomever he wants.
Honestly, no one cares what your pedigree is, nor mine. It's not relevant in this Vet heavy society we now live in.

Just don't try and blow smoke up this dudes keaster..... He needs a J O B with skillz and your post was so full of horse pucky it sucked me in like a 2 dollar whore on a Friday night in Vegas.
Old 03-30-2013, 7:34 PM

Well that's just like, your opinion man.
Old 03-30-2013, 8:06 PM

Ok guys no fighting. I am taking everything said into consideration. I know that no matter what I choose I will still get training kicking down doors and shooting human sized targets. the engineering aspects do interest me a lot - but I am not too educated on that aspect of work at this time - thats where a trade school would help.
Old 03-30-2013, 8:52 PM

As an ex-recruiter let me ask a few questions. Do not reply this is what will be asked.
Are you on medication or under a doctors care? Yes ok see you when you are cured.
Are you a felon? Yes sorry they will find out.
Are you fat? See you when you've lost a few pound.
High School grad? No See you in this economy we can be picky
Do you have DUI, possession (drug), or anything outstanding?
Do you have SS card? Have you registered with selective service?
Birth cert?
Broke any bones, rehab mental or physical?
Allergies serious gonna kill you not if your nose runs.
Tell me about any and all police involvement. Have you ever been put in shiny bracelets?
Do not answer any of these questions I just want you to know what to expect. Many will not disqualify you but it just depends and the rules change frequently.

After all this and you qualify I suggest finding and area you want to get into like.
Construction.(plumbers, carpenters electricians) mechanic(heavy equipment, light equipment, avaition). electronics. aviation( Air traffic control, fueling, mechanic, mechanic of ground equipment) Medical (no medical in marines they rely on the Navy) Law enforcement (all branches)

I left out a few of the ones like artillery and grunt/infantry this might be an area you want to look into that is up to you but they are limited for outside the military jobs. Keep in mind there will be a time when you will be out of the military, so the more skills the better. People say that they have LEO aspects but it sure would be nice to cover probable cause and investigation techniques over foxhole digging.
Here is how I see the different branches I might get a few people pissed but oh well.

Navy.... Highly hands on and technical because there is noone else to fix it for you, on a ship , so you better know what you're doing. Many get fat because limited exercise people that aren't are dedicated. advancement good
Airforce.... Had most of us known we would have all joined the AF. Hotels, great locations, good food, all the amenities, and just as technical as the Navy but if you cant fix it we'll call somebody. Slow advancement college opportunites many leave with at least an assoc degree.
Marine.....High respect for Marines technical jobs, but they aren't important, referred to as hobbies. Importance is lifting weights, karate ability to achieve martial arts training with different levels. Professionals in everything they do they have to be. HARD advancement good/fair before Obama
Army.....Many technical jobs but not really reliant on the individual, there are so many people. Highly specialized ex one guy does brakes, one guy does tires, one guy drives a truck, one guy drives a hummer, very little cross training, because there is always another guy that does the other piece.
Good to best advancement

I know I'll get a BS flag waived on much of this because I've experienced most of this from the outside of most of the forces.

Bottom line is pick something you can do on the outside.
Old 03-30-2013, 10:35 PM

Wow didn't know my job that I've been doing in the Marines for 12 years was a hobby. That's ok though, my hobby will pay quite nice once I leave the Marine Corps.

Other than that the questions are damn close to what you'll get. If you can answer yes to some of them your gonna have a hard time as waivers are an extra step that will not be taken. If you do need a waiver your best bet is the Army or Navy. The Marines and Air Force are by far the hardest to get in when it comes to moral(drug,law), medical(surgeries,diseases,etc.), or education(GED, non-HS grad) waivers.

All branches must follow the guidelines of the Military Personel Procurement Manual, but each level of command has the ability to make the requirements set forth in the policy tougher. Perfect example is the age cutoff is 27 for the Marine Corps and I believe 35(may be off but I know it is different) for the Army.
Old 03-31-2013, 10:44 AM

I chose USAF intelligence because I wanted the TS/SCI clearance. Lets just say I found out that in this career when you get off active orders, your in demand.
Old 03-31-2013, 6:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rscan925 View Post
I chose USAF intelligence because I wanted the TS/SCI clearance. Lets just say I found out that in this career when you get off active orders, your in demand.
This good to know - I will look into that
Old 04-01-2013, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Hey everybody I am thinking of joining a branch of the armed forces. My family has history serving in the Navy and Army. I was planning on taking some time this month to go visit a recruitment office and see what kind of possibilities are open to me. If anybody has any info they could give me to help me figure things out before I go I would appreciate it.
I am thinking the Marines. I am turning 19 soon and feel like I am just wasting my life and not doing anything "productive". I have had it in my mind that I have wanted to enlist ever since I was around 15. I don't want to wait too long and miss out on my chance do to this because I know I will regret it for the rest of my life if I do. How would you guys recommend I prepare myself (physically) and what documentation I will need to have with me when I go in, what MOS should I look into, basically what should I expect?

Thank you for taking the time to help me out
Ryan

Thank you all for your service.
Start doing your pushups and running a bit. if you're joining the navy, don't be afraid of the water.

MOS is completely dependent on what you want to do, in what branch. I would STRONGLY recommend not signing jack, no matter what the recruiter tells you, until you've posted it back on here, or taken someone (pref senior enlisted or experienced officer) who can help sort out what's available for that branch. I've seen too many guys at work who tell horror stories about the tall tales from the recruiters who suckered guys into jobs that had nothing to do with what they wanted to do. Remember, those guys are salesmen.

If you're in SD, I'd be happy to roll with you.
Old 04-01-2013, 12:14 PM

Quote:
This good to know - I will look into that
lots of jobs can get you a TS/SCI clearance!
Old 04-02-2013, 2:03 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonademaker View Post
lots of jobs can get you a TS/SCI clearance!
Market is glutted, make sure you get CI/LS poly too.
Old 04-02-2013, 6:42 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynamomark80 View Post

I would urge you to think about why you really want to join. Is it for yourself, your country, or are you just trying to continue a family tradition? Do you just want a pay check? I really dont care but you must understand why so you can base other actions on that reason.
I joined for all the reasons above.

Most proud of this in my life.

Would do it again ? Yes.

Will you like all you duty stations and jobs? No. It's part of it, keep on going and don't look back. You can try to pick your fancy, but that don't always work.

I know several guys with me who came out and became LEO of some sort.

Last edited by pitbull30; 04-02-2013 at 6:45 PM..
Old 04-02-2013, 7:29 PM

All of these responses are very encouraging, thank you guys.
Old 04-08-2013, 9:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonademaker View Post
Start doing your pushups and running a bit. if you're joining the navy, don't be afraid of the water.
Ditto for the Marine Corps

Quote:
MOS is completely dependent on what you want to do, in what branch. I would STRONGLY recommend not signing jack, no matter what the recruiter tells you, until you've posted it back on here, or taken someone (pref senior enlisted or experienced officer) who can help sort out what's available for that branch. I've seen too many guys at work who tell horror stories about the tall tales from the recruiters who suckered guys into jobs that had nothing to do with what they wanted to do. Remember, those guys are salesmen.

If you're in SD, I'd be happy to roll with you.
I agree with this, most/a lot of recruiters will tell you whatever you want to hear to get you to sign on that dotted line so take whatever they tell you with a certain grain of salt. It shouldn't be too bad now with the impending drawdown but they still have a quota to fill and they'll still happily sell you a load of BS to fill it.

I'd also definitely avoid going open contract, that means Uncle Sam/the US military can put you into whatever job they want to that your MOS qualifies you for depending on the needs of the service at the time. With an open contract you can get just about any MOS from cook, to grunt, to clerk, to mechanic, to radar tech, and everything in between with little to no choice in the matter. Once you've decided on what MOS you want, based on what's open and what you qualify for, be sure that it's in your contract and stick to it, don't let them talk you out of it unless it's for a better MOS or an MOS that you really wanted but wasn't open at the time you first signed the contract.

"We have two companies of Marines running rampant all over the northern half of this island, and three Army regiments pinned down in the southwestern corner, doing nothing. What the hell is going on?"
Gen. John W. Vessey Jr., USA, Chairman of the the Joint Chiefs of Staff
during the assault on Grenada, 1983