Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 06-21-2010, 11:25 PM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by corrupt View Post
Jan or Feb after some unknown real ****ty person stole it and tried to extort me a "reward" to get it back. I offered them $100 off the bat just to be nice and they countered with "I need a car". I guess that's what happens when you're careless with your phone at a courthouse when you're just trying to take care of something in traffic court.
Ouch.

I wonder if the 'Find my iPhone' app has helped anyone recover their phones. It has been a Mobile Me feature for a while.

The information posted here is not legal advice. If you seek legal advice hire an attorney who is familiar with all the facts of your case.
Old 06-21-2010, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorax3 View Post
Ouch.

I wonder if the 'Find my iPhone' app has helped anyone recover their phones. It has been a Mobile Me feature for a while.
Yes it has helped lots of people. I know because when that person stole it I tried that avenue and came across many articles of recovery. Of course you have to have it already set up before you lose it (I didn't).
Old 06-21-2010, 11:39 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoBayJoe View Post
What I think is funny is the people who don't want to get locked into a contract.

Say you got stuck wtih the entire $175 early termination fee, you don't think you could find someone who wanted to buy your used iPhone4 off you for $175 in a heartbeat?

Unless you completely trash it, you are good to go, no risk.
As of June 1st 2010 the EFT for Apple smart phones (iPhone included) is $325.

Quote:
Oh I know, but apparently it breaks down like this for those that aren't eligible for an upgrade:

1) cancel and get subsidized price: $175 cancellation + $399 phone + being locked in to 2 year contract = $575
OR
2) buy unsubsidized phone and not extend contract = $699

Screw that, it's not worth that much $ when I already have a 3GS with a contract that won't allow a "cheaper" upgrade. I'm a geek but I'm not a moron. The bigger battery and better camera is all I'll miss I guess.
Option 3: 6 months after activation or an upgrade you can buy phones using an "early upgrade". As far as the iPhone is concerned you would be getting $200 off of the full retail price as opposed to the full $400 you would with a regular upgrade.
Old 06-22-2010, 5:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefifthspeed View Post
As of June 1st 2010 the EFT for Apple smart phones (iPhone included) is $325.
Add that onto the 32gb iPhone 4 price of $300 (after tax, around $325), for a total of $650.

Crazy thing is, I was joking around on a different forum about selling my iPhone 4 for $700-$800, and I received a huard of PM's asking me if I would sell it to them for that price .

Sure you can buy an iPhone 4 without a plan for around $600 or $700 from AT&T or Apple, but I unless you stand in line for 8-10 hours on launch day to buy one at a store (if they'll even sell you one without a plan right now), then it's almost a month wait until the next batch of iPhone 4's come in.
Old 06-22-2010, 10:53 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFJ80 View Post
Add that onto the 32gb iPhone 4 price of $300 (after tax, around $325), for a total of $650.

Crazy thing is, I was joking around on a different forum about selling my iPhone 4 for $700-$800, and I received a huard of PM's asking me if I would sell it to them for that price .

Sure you can buy an iPhone 4 without a plan for around $600 or $700 from AT&T or Apple, but I unless you stand in line for 8-10 hours on launch day to buy one at a store (if they'll even sell you one without a plan right now), then it's almost a month wait until the next batch of iPhone 4's come in.

i ordered mine last week and the tax is much higher than that. They charge tax before the discount.

Iphone 4 - 199
tax 52.42

total 251.42
Old 06-22-2010, 3:40 PM
Super Moderator

Seems people are already getting their shipments via FedEX. I thought picking up in the store would be a faster option as in the past Apple has had carriers hold shipments until the realease date.

Error by FedEx? Attempt to stragger activiations to less server load?

Either way I'm bumped. Want my phone now!

The information posted here is not legal advice. If you seek legal advice hire an attorney who is familiar with all the facts of your case.
Old 06-22-2010, 4:31 PM

Having the 3GS already, I'm looking forward to the McDonald v Chicago more. Yet I can't help but to be subscribed to this thread.
Old 06-22-2010, 9:55 PM

A couple of guys at work got their iPhone 4 in today. But they also put in their orders around 1am or 2am PST online at Apple and AT&T. Their phones were delivered by FedEx. One of them was supposedly meeting up with somebody tonight to sell their iPhone for $950!

Mine and a few other co-worker iPhone's are scheduled to deliver tomorrow (6/23), and we all placed our orders online at AT&T anywhere between 8am - 12:30pm PST. All of our tracking numbers (all UPS Next Day Air Savers) are showing delivery for Wednesday.
Old 06-22-2010, 10:24 PM
Veteran Member

Location: North Idaho or on the road again(cue Willie Nelson)

Quote:
A couple of guys at work got their iPhone 4 in today. But they also put in their orders around 1am or 2am PST online at Apple and AT&T. Their phones were delivered by FedEx. One of them was supposedly meeting up with somebody tonight to sell their iPhone for $950!

Mine and a few other co-worker iPhone's are scheduled to deliver tomorrow (6/23), and we all placed our orders online at AT&T anywhere between 8am - 12:30pm PST. All of our tracking numbers (all UPS Next Day Air Savers) are showing delivery for Wednesday.
I want my new iPhone but I will sell mine in a heartbeat for that price!
Old 06-22-2010, 11:01 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:

I ordered mine at 130AM on the 15th from att but it looks like my package is just sitting at Fort Worth with a delivery date of the 23rd before 3pm (Fed Ex).
Old 06-23-2010, 9:54 AM
Calguns Addict

That sucks. If people a willing to pay close to a g for one I might just sell it and keep using my 3G
Old 06-23-2010, 10:05 AM
Veteran Member

Have the 4th gen iPhone synching right now, such an awesome piece. Just feels like a quality product. Ill report later on how I like it but I know it is going to be good! I hated using the Blackberry for the past 10 days, sucked! lol...
Old 06-23-2010, 1:01 PM
Calguns Addict

Keep us updated. Pictures too.

I'm running a jailbroken iOS4 3GS right now and I love the new software. Noticeably faster than 3.x.

The fate of the wounded rest in the hands of the ones who apply the first dressing.
Old 06-23-2010, 2:04 PM
Veteran Member

Facetime is amazing! So far the phone is fast especially uploading to Facebook, with my old 3g it took minutes and really sucked if I wanted to get on Pandora right away to drive.
Old 06-23-2010, 4:03 PM

I can't help but chuckle a little bit to see all the Apple fans getting all worked up about the earlier deliveries, offering the early purchasers upwards of a grand for them, lining up at the stores, etc. Yes, I pre-ordered one myself (only because my current 3G is on the verge of death - the hold switch completely broke off, the battery doesn't keep a charge, the power button doesn't work, and the case is cracked) but it's not the end of the world if I don't get it right away.

I'm more excited about McDonald and Bilski (since I work with the patent system), and I'm especially excited about picking up the AR pistol I DROS'd last week. I suppose the Apple fans would think I'm just as crazy for placing more importance on the firearm...
Old 06-23-2010, 5:52 PM

^^ I'm with stupid.

I'm looking forward to McDonald and thinking about how it sucks that my FFL that has my PSL in possession is not open on Wednesdays and I'll have to wait another day because they're not open Sunday either. Two extra days damn it!!
Old 06-23-2010, 7:00 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
That is what would be the deal breaker for me. I would hate having to worry about usage. With all the large data coming down the pipe (video chat, netflix, pandora running in the background) I don't want to have to think about usage.

Thankfully I am grandfathered in from my 3G.

BTW: iOS4 makes my phone feel much snappier, even on a 3G which ran super slow before.
Video chat only works over wifi, if you want it over your carriers network switch to Sprint and get the EVO.

The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)
Old 06-23-2010, 7:04 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDay View Post
Video chat only works over wifi, if you want it over your carriers network switch to Sprint and get the EVO.
On the default OS it only works over Wifi. The API's are out for applications to use the technology, so once jail-broken it can probably be had over cell networks.

Old 06-23-2010, 7:09 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
On the default OS it only works over Wifi. The API's are out for applications to use the technology, so once jail-broken it can probably be had over cell networks.
And your warranty will be void.

The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)
Old 06-23-2010, 7:31 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
And your warranty will be void.
I'm not worried about that. Even with iOS4 (and in the past) a restore or refresh of an OEM ipsw has removed tracks of any jailbreak sort of activities.

Old 06-23-2010, 9:54 PM

Quote:
For now. I guarantee they relax that restriction once the protocol and codec are sufficiently tweaked and tested and vetted for use over 3g/4g(when applicable) networks.
Skype video on the EVO via 4g is okay, but the overall quality and experience is borderline acceptable for day-to-day video calling.
Quote:
Originally Posted by W.H. Auden
I and the public know
What all schoolchildren learn,
Those to whom evil is done
Do evil in return.
Old 06-23-2010, 9:54 PM

I tried out the Face Time with my co-worker, and it works good on the WiFi. But even at 20 mbps, the iPhone really keeps the resolution low so the bandwidth isn't as bad. Not a true 30 fps, but still decent for the most part. I think Apple made it look better than it really is in their advertisement.

I did record some videos in 320p and they looked really good on the phone. They still looked good when I sent them as a MMS to other people (T-mobile iPhone 3G user, Verizon BB user, Verizon flip-phone user, Sprint Moto flip-phone, etc).

I took this pic earlier, holding my Blackberry and taking a picture with my crack-shaking hands

Old 06-23-2010, 9:55 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

I took this pic earlier

Are you giving the iPhone a thumbs down? Haha.

Old 06-23-2010, 9:55 PM
Veteran Member

Have you guys seen the complaints on MacRumors about the defective screens that have yellow hues and spots? Or the fact that with the OS 4 update iPhones have poor reception when they're being held by the user.

Either way I'm still getting one tomorrow!
Old 06-23-2010, 10:47 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisTKHarris View Post
Have you guys seen the complaints on MacRumors about the defective screens that have yellow hues and spots? Or the fact that with the OS 4 update iPhones have poor reception when they're being held by the user.

Either way I'm still getting one tomorrow!
Sounds like a bunch of HATERS lol
Old 06-23-2010, 10:54 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Jan or Feb after some unknown real ****ty person stole it and tried to extort me a "reward" to get it back. I offered them $100 off the bat just to be nice and they countered with "I need a car". I guess that's what happens when you're careless with your phone at a courthouse when you're just trying to take care of something in traffic court.
should have pretended to agree, and do a meetup and hand him a secretly voided check (ie call bank in advance and tell them to stop payment on that check)
Old 06-23-2010, 10:57 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezertpilot View Post
Uhh not really, it's real.

Yellow Spots from Engadget

http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/23/p...-yellow-spots/

Poor reception with left corner from Gizmodo

http://gizmodo.com/5571171/iphone-4-...e-antenna-band
Old 06-23-2010, 11:05 PM

OK I'll say it. The biggest reason for me wanting to upgrade from 3GS to 4 is that my porn quality will be better with the newer camera. Too bad I have to wait till I can upgrade at not as much of a butt f*** price.

Geez, I can be so crude sometimes.
Old 06-24-2010, 2:49 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blisster View Post
For now. I guarantee they relax that restriction once the protocol and codec are sufficiently tweaked and tested and vetted for use over 3g/4g(when applicable) networks.
Skype video on the EVO via 4g is okay, but the overall quality and experience is borderline acceptable for day-to-day video calling.
Oh yeah, one more thing. The new iPhone does not support 4G. Its only the iPhone 4 because it runs iOS4. Its actually not much different from the 3GS. When a 4G iPhone comes out you can count on it being called the iPhone 4G.

Old 06-24-2010, 2:51 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillZone45 View Post
Yeah, because when Apple releases a buggy or defective product you're supposed to praise them

Old 06-24-2010, 2:53 PM

Quote:
Oh yeah, one more thing. The new iPhone does not support 4G. Its only the iPhone 4 because it runs iOS4. Its actually not much different from the 3GS. When a 4G iPhone comes out you can count on it being called the iPhone 4G.
I'm aware of that, that's why I put the (when applicable) in there.
In all reality, what Sprint is currently pushing as 4g isn't really true 4g anyways, so its gonna take a little time for true 4g propagation in any areas besides the major metros...

oh, and I just received my iPhone, so far its very nice!
Quote:
I and the public know
Do evil in return.
Old 06-24-2010, 2:54 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
OK I'll say it. The biggest reason for me wanting to upgrade from 3GS to 4 is that my porn quality will be better with the newer camera. Too bad I have to wait till I can upgrade at not as much of a butt f*** price.

Geez, I can be so crude sometimes.
Why are you using a phone to record porn?

Old 06-24-2010, 2:56 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blisster View Post
I'm aware of that, that's why I put the (when applicable) in there.
When applicable does not apply to the iPhone 4 since the hardware physically cannot support 4G. I am also quite aware that Sprints WiMax isn't truly 4G, they actually had the standard changed so that they could use the "4G" name.

Old 06-24-2010, 3:01 PM

Quote:
When applicable does not apply to the iPhone 4 since the hardware physically cannot support 4G. I am also quite aware that Sprints WiMax isn't truly 4G, they actually had the standard changed so that they could use the "4G" name.
no **** sherlock...do you really think they won't release a 4g phone once *whichever* carriers they do or do not work with have one available?

quit being such a dick fer chrissakes!
Quote:
I and the public know
Do evil in return.
Old 06-24-2010, 3:02 PM

So has anyone try to make a call left handed with their new iphone 4? lol
Old 06-24-2010, 3:21 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsoc1 View Post
So has anyone try to make a call left handed with their new iphone 4? lol
Yeah I did the reception test that you've seen on internet videos, yes the reception bars do decrease but I still was able to maintain a call. I think that the antenna starts at the bottom left of the phone and then wraps around the phone in a counter clockwise motion and that's why it has trouble with the bottom left being susceptible.
Old 06-24-2010, 3:21 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

my buddy said that the line at South Coast Plaza apple store is 12 hours long.......holy crap.
Old 06-24-2010, 3:24 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sillyguy View Post
my buddy said that the line at South Coast Plaza apple store is 12 hours long.......holy crap.
I got in the preorder line this morning at 9:30 at Arden Fair Mall (Sac) and it took me 5 hours.
Old 06-24-2010, 3:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisTKHarris View Post
Yeah I did the reception test that you've seen on internet videos, yes the reception bars do decrease but I still was able to maintain a call. I think that the antenna starts at the bottom left of the phone and then wraps around the phone in a counter clockwise motion and that's why it has trouble with the bottom left being susceptible.
thats still some disappointing news, i guess ill wait for a revision before getting my hands on one. From the videos they claim that ur skin might be shorting the cell antenna and the wifi antenna. I would think that would actually boost the antenna instead.
Old 06-24-2010, 3:44 PM
Calguns Addict

Do you guys think if I went to an Apple store right now there still would be a line? And whats the possibility of me scoring one??