Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Competition, Action Shooting And Training.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Competition, Action Shooting And Training. Competition, Three gun, IPSC, IDPA , and Training discussion here.

Old 02-14-2012, 9:31 AM

Default "Alot of People Teach All This Fast Shooting, I Teach Fast Hitting" -Paul Howe

I just got back from Texas attending Paul Howe's CSAT Tac Rifle course (2.11.12). I had a great time and since I'm still trying to get in my groove I'll give you a little teaser of what happened.

Even two Magpul Dynamics instructors showed up to the class. They were actually some of my bunkmates. They gave me some interesting background on the whole magpul scene.

A SWAT Doc with a surpressed AR.

My T1 cr@pped out

I have abunch of video I took on my Contour. Paul has given me permission to post them. Unfortunately downloading them on youtube takes forever. I just tried and it froze up my computer after 30 minutes and it was only 16% done. So I may or may not post them.

All I can say is spend the money and go see him and stay at the barracks. I'm not sure where I had more fun at the range or the bunkhouse.
Some great quotes from Paul:
"This is a 556. This is a rat gun. Hit him again."
"Know you're battlefield."
Old 02-14-2012, 10:34 AM

Could you give us the top 5 things you learned in class? How did taking this class effect how you will practice?
Old 02-14-2012, 12:21 PM
Veteran Member

Location: Roseville area, or wherever they pay my confiscatory rates for things only I know how to do (lol)

How many times did Paul say "basically"? ... great guy, a genuine hero and I am guessing a great class.

I don't pretend to be an "authority." I'm just a guy who trains a lot, shoots a lot and has a perspective.

Check the ZombieTactics Channel on YouTube for all sorts of gun-related goodness CLICK HERE
Old 02-14-2012, 12:28 PM

What happened to the T1 optic?
Old 02-14-2012, 6:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason762 View Post
What happened to the T1 optic?
I have no idea how it happened but the front lens is dangling as you can see from the photo. I was shooting his 50 yard kneeling standard when the red dot disappeared. I taught it was the battery going dead. I looked at the optic to see the lens had popped out. I have only used the thing once before class, just to sight in my AR. Never abused, never neglected, never mistreated. Its odd. Paul said he never seen it before. Nor had the boys from Magpul. Strange. I'm still waiting for aresponse from Aimpoint.

In a way its a blessing it forced me to shoot irons and I'm alot better know with those irons than I would ever had been. My shooting partner for the weekend, offered his spare Aimpoint M3, which was more than genereous but I refused. I figured if this was real world, I'd have to ditch my optic and go irons. So thats what I did.
Old 02-15-2012, 3:45 PM

Hmmm... that's really odd. Is it possible that it's one of those Chinese airsoft copies?
Old 02-15-2012, 7:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason762 View Post
Hmmm... that's really odd. Is it possible that it's one of those Chinese airsoft copies?
Not likely unless Mark LaRue is selling counterfeits but I doubt it.

Last edited by Clee; 02-15-2012 at 7:44 PM..
Old 02-15-2012, 3:49 PM

share with us the interesting magpul stuff.
Old 02-15-2012, 7:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calshooter1 View Post
share with us the interesting magpul stuff.
Lets just say there were some ethical problems from a certain individual. I'll leave it at that.
Old 02-15-2012, 7:38 PM

I finally got one video up. Since I'm computer retarded, it took something like 2.5 hours for that vid to load.
Old 02-16-2012, 7:35 AM

Default CSAT AAR

If you don't know who ex-Delta Force operator Paul Howe is, I'd suggest you read Blackhawk Down by Mark Bowden or at this. He is a great American and a great guy. My interest in guns tends to be toward fine guns and hunting guns and not toward black guns even so I did purchase one a couple years ago. My lack of knowledge on such a gun made me want to seek professional training to help me feel more comfortable with the platform.

I chose to train with Paul over others because of his experience and his philosophy. Paul stresses accuracy over speed which I wholeheartedly agree. I suppose this class may turn some people off as it is not a "cool guy" class. Basically everything you learn in a Magpul video or any other “cool guy” video, unlearn it. There is no fancy maneuvers, no point shooting, no shooting on the move, no high speed tac reloads, no ninja rolls, or any silliness or anything remotely dangerous. There's not even alot of shooting compared to other classes. In total I believe I shot 500 or so rounds. I had brought 700 rounds of surplus green tip on stripper clips. At the end of the day 2 I had at least 6 or 7 boxes (each box holds 30) left that I gave to Paul since I couldn't travel with it due to Jet Blue's silly rule. They do not allow boxed ammo in the same case with the gun. Apparently they just want to charge you for an extra luggage.

Classes are assisted by instructor/students. These instructor/students arrived four days prior to our class. There Paul teaches them how to teach others using his methods. Each must pass his standards to move on to the 2 last days where they are assigned a student to assist him on each method. Our instructors were mostly Army reservists from Oklahoma but we also had a Texas sheriff, and a doctor. They were great. The Reservists were good ole boys who were some of the nicest guys ever. And they were a hoot as well. There is nothing funnier than a redneck making fun of another redneck for being too redneck. I had my own Jeff Foxworthy show at the barracks. The instructor/ student ratio was almost one to one. 22 students to 17 instructors. I shared my instructor with a great shot from Houston named Lee.

Paul lays down a foundation known as his standards, various shooting positions at various distances that must be met under a certain time. It is not easy. He says use his standards as an analogy to a gym program. Every time you go the gym, you don't just go in a start lifting, you have a list of workouts you do for the day. His standards are used much in the same way. After this course you can take it home and use it to practice all you have learned here.

On the first day my T1 red point optic failed on me, requiring me to shoot with my iron sights. Since I have poor vision, I knew I was going to have an even harder time now. Lee graciously offered me his spare Aimpoint CompM3. I originally accepted but later declined. I figured I better learn to shoot irons well, in case my optics ever failed in real life.

My shooting definitely improved by the end of training. I was easily engaging targets at up to 300 yards with irons. I would have never taught I could do that prior to coming class. Paul teaches finding your natural point of aim and bone supported holds to allow you to shoot more accurately while shooting faster.

The first day we learned the shooting system and all the standards. This is the day where most of all the shooting occurs. The following day we were split into two teams. One team would start with the "scrambler," which is a course where you run to each target and engage steel anywhere from 100-300 yards away using various shooting platforms. The course also includes some pistol shots as well. This was a hoot. The other team would start with tactical lessons from Paul. He taught how to approach a barricade and use it for cover. Coming out and owning the battlefield. After that he taught us precision hostage shooting. On his hostage targets his daughter is used as a model so don't miss. The next module was shooting shirts. This was to show us that in real life there are no references as there are in paper targets. Once that was completed we began shooting the 100-7 drill and then started the standards, recording our times to see where we needed to practice. One of the Magpul guys, Mike aced them all. I know, I was shooting right next to him. The class concludes with Paul giving a demonstration on how to properly clean an AR. He likes the gun lubed and wet.

The things I learned:
Why he uses a 100 yard zero and starting at the 7 yard line to give you a baseline zero.
Finding your natural point of aim.
Supporting the gun with bone and not muscle.
Ambi safeties blow. At least mine does. It causes you lift your trigger finger to accommodate the safety going into fire. In other words it slows you down.
Carburetor Cleaner works great to clean your gun and it’s a lot cheaper.
Keep the AR wet.
Texas has some of the nicest people I've ever met.

Given Paul's credentials, the $450 ($50 of that is for lodging at the barracks, otherwise its $400) is quite possibly the greatest deal in tactical training. Paul is approachable and will answer any question you ask him. He gives you an honest answer for why he chooses his methods and techniques and why he doesn't use others. He has no tough guy attitude or any false bravado like many other tactical trainers out there. I can tell he is comfortable in his own skin and doesn't need to prove that he is a bad ***. He knows it and people around him know it too.

I thought it was funny when he made a comment to his wife, who is very attractive by the way, that she knew he was on a diet yet she baked him cookies. Connie basically just rolled her eyes. I thought it was funny that a man who passed probably the most rigorous and demanding selection process in all the military and survived arguably the most deadly battle in modern warfare didn't have the strength to resist his wife's homemade cookies. I guess we all have our weaknesses.

Funny story. Ideally you should travel into Houston Airport and travel 2 hours north to CSAT. I have a friend stationed in Ft Hood so I flew into Austin to spend a night with his family. He lent me his truck for the weekend so I can drive 4 hour east to Nacogdoches. I had forgotten to pack my razor and was too cheap to buy a new one so I went unshaven for a couple days. When I got there and met all the reservists, each one saw the truck with a DoD sticker on it and kept asking me what I did. I guess they saw a guy with longish hair (at least by military standards) and unshaven they must have taught I was some contractor or SF guy. I let them know I was not, just a wussy (rhymes with wussy) civilian and the truck belonged to my buddy.

Since Paul was California boy from San Diego that “escaped” when he turned 18, we both reminisced about the good ole days when California was actually an awesome state. He talked about hunting in Santee and I talked about shooting with my pop in Irvine and how I managed to experience the tail end of the good ole days of CA before it turned into turdsville.

I hope to return to Nacogdoches to train with him again. I hope to take his home defense course next year.

Paul explains why you should hold at the low ready to a couple Houston PD.

The Reservists came in two vans and two LMVTs. They let me check it out and sit in the cab.

Each guy gets ready to shot the standards.

Paul explains how to clean the AR and how to seal it completely so if you ever get dusted by a helicopter, high winds, etc. the gun is still good to go.

Last edited by Clee; 02-16-2012 at 4:37 PM.. Reason: I spell like an idiot
Old 02-16-2012, 8:17 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Great post! Thanks for sharing.
Old 02-16-2012, 8:19 AM

Thanks for the informative AAR. Looking forward to taking some classes with Paul. For now I make do with his insightful books and training DVDs.
Old 02-16-2012, 8:31 AM
Veteran Member

Location: Roseville area, or wherever they pay my confiscatory rates for things only I know how to do (lol)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clee View Post
... Why he uses a 100 yard zero and starting at the 7 yard line to give you a baseline zero. ...
Which one? Paul uses the term somewhat fluidly. I recall reading an article where we detailed what he called a "100-yard zero", but it was actually POA/POI at about 25 meters, and 3-4 inches high at 100 yards. That's actually pretty close to a standard 300-yard Marine zero, but apparently Paul's eyes glaze over when anyone tries to explain that to him ... kind of an "ours go to 11" kind of thing, if you take my meaning.

Dude knows his stuff, I'm just curious.

I don't pretend to be an "authority." I'm just a guy who trains a lot, shoots a lot and has a perspective.

Check the ZombieTactics Channel on YouTube for all sorts of gun-related goodness CLICK HERE

Last edited by ZombieTactics; 02-16-2012 at 8:36 AM..
Old 02-16-2012, 9:20 AM

Quote:
[IMG]Paul stresses accuracy over speed...
Excellent ARR Clee; thanks for sharing!

The above quote seems to be consistent with what other Delta instructors/teaching outfits teach. Not a high round; gun running type of class but centered around accuracy at distance. It's all about being accountable for each shot. As the saying goes: speed is good but accuracy is final but being quick and accurate is obviously better than slow but accurate.

Would be nice if Paul made it to SoCal for training.

Last edited by HK35; 02-16-2012 at 9:23 AM..
Old 02-16-2012, 9:00 AM

Just to let you guys know. We had 2 HK mags fail. One ACR fail and my T1 fail. Other than that from what I saw everyones gear worked. My LWRC M6A2 ran like a champ. Paul ran his PWS. Magpul guys ran a couple guns each, I recall two of them being BCM uppers and a magpul lower I believe.
Old 02-16-2012, 9:07 AM

Quote:
Just to let you guys know. We had 2 HK mags fail. One ACR fail and my T1 fail. Other than that from what I saw everyones gear worked. My LWRC M6A2 ran like a champ. Paul ran his PWS. Magpul guys ran a couple guns each, I recall two of them being BCM uppers and a magpul lower I believe.
Since the round count was low could you tell if the DI guns fared as well as the piston ones?

Also, please let us know about how Aimpoint treats your T1's return whether replace or repair and how long it'll take.
Old 02-16-2012, 9:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzar View Post
Since the round count was low could you tell if the DI guns fared as well as the piston ones?

Also, please let us know about how Aimpoint treats your T1's return whether replace or repair and how long it'll take.
i'm still waiting from a response from aimpoint. Sent an email I wanted there response in writing. If I don't hear from them today, Im calling them tomorrow.

DI vs. GP the debate continues. Honestly at this class there was no difference....Most of the shooting is done on the first day, and since Paul's cleaning shed is outside and it was freezing balls, I didn't clean my gun. I only lubed it up and shot it the next day. It ran fine. In fact I didn't see or hear anyone cleaning their guns after the first day. No malfuctions in my group the following day.
Old 02-16-2012, 9:30 AM
Calguns Addict

Great AAR, I'm going to look into training with mr. Howe.
Old 02-17-2012, 11:27 AM

Sweet, thanks for the info.
Old 02-17-2012, 3:12 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Thx for posting your great AAR! It provides some insight to his methods, reasoning and teaching style. I haven't trained with him so only based on what I saw in his Panteao video, he heavily concentrates on the fundamentals and is methodical about his approach. I do wish that he'd be a little more expeditionary in his training methods, though.
Old 02-17-2012, 7:15 PM

Thanks for the great AAR! A Paul Howe course is at the top of my list.
Old 02-18-2012, 8:25 PM
Veteran Member

Clee, outstanding after action. After having spent 3 days with Kyle in Forida last year, I will be making the effort to see what Paul is all about.
Very well done here, and excellent follow up on answering members questions.
Thank you for your efforts...
Old 02-19-2012, 9:46 AM

ALrighty now....

Back to the good stuff. For those of you considering going to see Paul, hopefully this vid pushes you to go.

It took forever to load but I got Scrambler course up. You are permitted up to 5 shots per target if you don't hit it by then you move on. I shot with Lee who as you can tell by the video is one helluva shot. Me on the other hand, well I'll let the video speak for itself...The Scrambler is trying to replicate battle conditions, running from one set of cover to the next engaging tangos at each stop. Had this been a real battle, I think it would have been a good idea to have just been an ammo mule for Lee and let him take down all the bad guys while I just covered him if we got overrun. LOL. Man can that guy shoot. He only missed at the end when he was tiring. He was a good guy, I'm glad we were partnered up together for the weekend.

Heres anther video this time, the magpul boys Mike and Javier shoot the barricades (also good guys, it was a pleasure to meet them) :

Take it easy on criticizing my shooting, I sensitive. J/K. I'm blaming the fact that my T1 went down and had to shot irons and that my eye pro was fogging up and the rotation of the earth was too fast and (insert every excuse here)....Rip on me all you want I certainly deserve it. Enjoy.

I have some great vids of Paul teaching his tactical lessons and why he chooses them but I won't be posting those. You'll just have to see him to get that info.

Last edited by Clee; 02-19-2012 at 9:51 AM..
Old 02-19-2012, 10:14 AM

Nicely done and thanks again for posting. It's an education. The more I see of Paul not only am I more eager to attend his classes but now I'm thinking that it's perhaps best to go to his range with all the facilities, range tools and extended distances and combat scenarios he has there. What do you think?

As an aside, I think for most people, it's definitely easier and more accurate to engage targets with optics (rather than iron sights) as well as magnification for the extended ranges. I too suffer from poor vision.
Old 02-19-2012, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzar View Post
Nicely done and thanks again for posting. It's an education. The more I see of Paul not only am I more eager to attend his classes but now I'm thinking that it's perhaps best to go to his range with all the facilities, range tools and extended distances and combat scenarios he has there. What do you think?

As an aside, I think for most people, it's definitely easier and more accurate to engage targets with optics (rather than iron sights) as well as magnification for the extended ranges. I too suffer from poor vision.
For rifle class, I think it doesn't travel well. If Paul were to come here and do a class at say Prado, you'll miss all the good stuff. Shooting at distance, the scrambler, etc. I think his pistol course would be much better suited for out of state classes. So you're right, for his rifle course I'd suggest you travel to Texas that way you get the full benefit of everything he is willing to teach you and let you do.

Oh yeah I forgot to mention, thanks for bringing it up, I have poor vision so we can insert that excuse in there too but really my eye pro was fogging up and since they are presciption I couldn't change them out. Can you help me think of any other excuses?
Old 02-19-2012, 11:24 AM

Quote:
For rifle class, I think it doesn't travel well. If Paul were to come here and do a class at say Prado, you'll miss all the good stuff. Shooting at distance, the scrambler, etc. I think his pistol course would be much better suited for out of state classes. So you're right, for his rifle course I'd suggest you travel to Texas that way you get the full benefit of everything he is willing to teach you and let you do.
Makes sense and I agree.
Quote:
...my eye pro was fogging up and since they are presciption I couldn't change them out.
Try the Fogtech DX Instant Antifog Cloth (Package of 12). They work and last the whole day. The bottle applicator is not as easy. I got mine at REI.
Old 02-26-2012, 1:29 PM
Veteran Member

Awesome of you to stop by!

I'm still confused by the 3" holdover at 100, but it's probably my malfunction. It confuses me because it's so similar to the results I get with a 36-yard/confirmed-at-300 "Marine" zero.

The bizness about AIWB in this thread lacks context unless you were following some other threads on this board. I use it as an example of how something can be technically violating a safety rule, but it's not necessarily unsafe in context. I'm a proponent of AIWB myself.

Last edited by ZombieTactics; 02-26-2012 at 1:39 PM..
Old 02-26-2012, 1:56 PM

Default Shooting bulls...

The 3" high zero started when people shot bulls, like the SR-21 centers I used. Hold at the base of the bull, hit in the middle of the bull, about 3" high. People like to hit the center of the bull so they have to hold their sight in one spot and adjust their impact 3" up. The best way I have found to shoot a bull is to shoot a six-o'clock hold as it is the best focal spot for their eye/sight.

When folks try to put their front sight in the center of the bull, their eye goes back and forth trying to find the perfect sight picture and they get eye strain after too long. This is a center hold on a bull and will also work, but you just don't want to go back and forth too many times.

I hope this helps. No problem on the holster issue. Thanks for the note.

Paul
Old 02-27-2012, 12:35 PM
Banned

This is the 36/300 yard zero for the AR. The circle represents a 10" diameter plate and the triangle is the top of the Trijicon Accupoint (for my scope mount offset and my ammo out of a 20" barrel). The hold is for zero between point blank and 350 yards. It's on the left side of the butt stock on my ARs.