Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Southern California Chapters > O.C. Chapter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2013, 9:46 PM

Default Relocating from NV to Irvine. Please recommend me a gun store

Hi CalGuns,
Like the title says, I'm relocating to Irvine from Northern Nevada. As it stands now every single of of my AR15's are on "the list" so they'll be staying in a safe in Nevada along with the Barrett M99. It seems that all I can bring along is my Kimber Ultra Carry II along with my Mossberg 590 (as long as change the stock).

So I'll be looking to refresh the collection a bit.
Can anybody recommend a good dealer in the Irvine area?

TIA
Old 09-06-2013, 9:48 PM

Rifle gear in fountain valley has done me right, and Turners are all over out here
Old 09-06-2013, 10:17 PM

Oc armory is a couple miles down the freeway from irvine. I drive down there from way farther than irvine
Old 09-06-2013, 10:21 PM
Calguns Addict

anything on that side of the border....

Most civilization is based on cowardice. It's so easy to civilize by teaching cowardice. You water down the standards which would lead to bravery. You restrain the will. You regulate the appetites. You fence in the horizons. You make a law for every movement. You deny the existence of chaos. You teach even the children to breathe slowly. You tame.
People Should Not Be Afraid Of Their Governments, Governments Should Be Afraid Of Their People

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Old 09-07-2013, 12:17 AM

Don't forget about OC Firearms in Fountain Valley (close to Riflegear)
Old 09-07-2013, 2:01 AM

As for ammo, buy it whenever and wherever you can. But as we all recognize, prices are starting fall and supply is loosening up on some of the more popular calibers.

Welcome to Cali and Irvine is a nice town.
Old 09-07-2013, 2:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdruff2 View Post
As for ammo, buy it whenever and wherever you can. But as we all recognize, prices are starting fall and supply is loosening up on some of the more popular calibers.

Welcome to Cali and Irvine is a nice town.
On that note, there's 2 Wal Mart's in Irvine. The one off Technology Dr sells ammo (although stock has been spotty that last few times I went).
Old 09-07-2013, 6:18 AM

For your AR's you could always strip and sell the lowers and buy off list lowers and bullet buttons. What is the story with the 590's stock? If it is just a pistol grip you are ok as it is a pump. See the Flowcharts, and welcome to oppression.

http://www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart.pdf

http://calnra.com/cgi-bin/flowchart.cgi

http://www.calguns.net/caawid/sgflowchart.pdf
Old 09-07-2013, 6:28 AM

Another one for RIFLE GEAR
Old 09-07-2013, 6:37 AM
CGN Contributor

+1 for OC Armory. I do pretty much all my business there, and they specialize in weapons with "evil features".

DISCLAIMER: The information contained herein is general in nature, which may not apply to particular factual or legal circumstances, and is intended for informational purposes only. Consistent with Calguns policy, the information does not constitute legal advice or opinions and should not be relied upon as such. Transmission of the information is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship. Readers should not act upon any information in my posts without seeking professional counsel.
Old 09-07-2013, 6:39 AM

Plus one for OC ARMORY
Old 09-07-2013, 1:04 PM

I would have to recommend OC Firearms
Old 09-08-2013, 11:22 PM

+1 Good peeps!

Ian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KON5T View Post
I would have to recommend OC Firearms

Reporter: "What do you feel when you shoot a terrorist?"

Marine: "Recoil."
Old 09-09-2013, 6:20 AM

RifleGear and O.C. Armory
Old 09-09-2013, 11:48 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

My Top 3

1 - OC Armory (Laguna Hills). Those guys are ridiculous when it comes to being accommodating for any kind of transfer type stuff. If they are not swamped they will do on the spot gun smithing for you at very reasonable rates.

2 - OC FireArms (Fountain Valley). New shop for me but I have been very impressed with the crew that works there. They are the Glock kings for pricing and availability right now.

3 - Riflegear (Fountain Valley). Open 7 days a week which is really convenient. Largest selection of the 3 for in store guns.
Old 09-10-2013, 2:26 PM

+1 for Riflegear. They've usually had good prices on ammo when I've stopped by.

I haven't been to OC Armory nor OC Firearms but always hear good things about them.
Old 09-11-2013, 6:44 PM

I'll agree that Riflegear and OC Armory are good shops. I wouldn't run out-of-state transfers through riflegear, though. They charge more than others and don't seem to want that kind of business. They're great for new, modern firearms ,though, and usually have better in-store prices than even online purchasing can match. I used OC Armory once, and was completely satisfied with them. The only reason I haven't done more business with them is that they're far away from me. I can get cheaper transfers from Straightline Tactical in Anaheim, and spend half as much time in the car. Straightline has a small storefront, however, and generally not much stock on-hand. As someone else mentioned, Turner's is everywhere, too. Check their weekly ads and there's often something worthwhile. The one in the city of Orange has treated me very well. Also worth mentioning are Fowler's/Stockade (In Orange and Westminster) and Field Time in Westminster. Both cater well to handloaders and focus more on traditional sporting arms rather than "scary black rifles." They're generally not the lowest priced shops but they do offer the old school "gun store" kind of experience and will generally have more stock on-hand if your mind isn't completely made up on what you want. I would not hesitate to bring return business to all the shops I've mentioned, and would recommend them all as very capable.

I haven't yet tried OC Firearms. My next purchase will likely be through them, though. I'm curious to see how they rate.

Last edited by Some Velvet-Fisted Brute; 09-11-2013 at 6:50 PM..
Old 09-11-2013, 6:46 PM
Veteran Member

Irvine is a wonderful city to live in, welcome!
Old 09-11-2013, 7:26 PM

Shop around.
You just can't go to just one store. You have to go to all the stores, far and wide. You have to search and look for what you want. You have to feel them out, see where you like, where you don't like.
Culver City, Westminster. Leave no stone unturned.
Shop around.
dc
dc
Old 09-12-2013, 11:31 PM
Calguns Addict

Welcome neighbor. There are a lot of Calgunners in Irvine.

OC Armory is great. I do most of my business there.
Old 09-13-2013, 1:23 PM

Ammo Bros - Cerritos - 30 min drive
Riflegear - Fountain Valley - approx 10 min drive
Turners Outdoorsman-Fountain Valley approx 15 min drive
Turners Outdoorsman- Orange -approx 20 minutes

Ammo Bros is worth the ride!!! 90 percent freeway

IM

Last edited by ironman777; 09-13-2013 at 1:34 PM..
Old 09-17-2013, 6:50 PM

Anybody shop at Glenn's in Costa Mesa?

"A free society asks not why people want or need their freedom. It asks why government would restrict it."
Old 09-19-2013, 12:51 PM

Riflegear
Old 09-20-2013, 12:08 AM

OC Armory, Riflegear, Elite (laguna niguel)

― John Adams
Old 09-21-2013, 8:04 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWoodCrafter View Post
Anybody shop at Glenn's in Costa Mesa?
I've been there a couple of times... Never actually bought anything other than a mbuis. Friendly though.
Old 09-29-2013, 6:49 PM

i dont like the armory, im very new into the firearms world and was looking for my first purchase, had alot of questions and concerns but i treated like a complete noob at this store and embarassed. combined with all the customers that were standing there making jokes kinda made everything worse.

ill never buy anything from this place.

Riflegear is awsome tho, but i have been buying all the way in ventura @ island view
Old 09-29-2013, 6:57 PM
Whatever
CGN Contributor

Elite Firearms in Laguna Niguel (and Orange ) have a lot of inventory of classic revolvers. Check it out and they have a talented gunsmith. Nothing against the other suggestions above tho.
Old 10-01-2013, 4:16 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by phazewun View Post
i dont like the armory, im very new into the firearms world and was looking for my first purchase, had alot of questions and concerns but i treated like a complete noob at this store and embarassed. combined with all the customers that were standing there making jokes kinda made everything worse.

Riflegear is awsome tho, but i have been buying all the way in ventura @ island view
Mike get's short and flustered at times when hes overwhelmed but is generally a really nice guy - not only to me but his interactions with others. His brother Patrick and dad Joe are stand up people as well.

Most importantly, OC Armory does the _crap work_ that no one else wants to do like SSE's, mag blocking, on the spot gun smithing for reasonable rates, etc.

The only other store I can think of that works to be this accommodating is OC Firearms in Fountain Valley.
Old 10-01-2013, 4:17 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeusa View Post
Elite Firearms in Laguna Niguel (and Orange ) have a lot of inventory of classic revolvers. Check it out and they have a talented gunsmith. Nothing against the other suggestions above tho.
Do they have a gun trap? Being able to test fire is really important to get your firearm back quickly.
Old 10-01-2013, 9:41 PM

+1 for OC Armory
Old 10-01-2013, 10:42 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubz View Post
A big +1 for OC Firearms, especially if you want a Gen4 Glock. Steve there has great prices, doesn't charge extra for the SSE, and can get whatever Glock rather quickly. Took him only a few days to get in a G21 Gen4 for me.
Steve and Konsts are awesome guys.

The problem is there isn't enough days left in the year for me to visit and get new stuff from them.
Old 10-05-2013, 9:35 PM

Welcome! Best place is OC Armory. Riflegear is great, but their line is long. SSE, ppt and transfer OC Armory is best hands down. Great place, great town. :-)
Old 10-07-2013, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phazewun View Post

I find this difficult to credit.
I have been in OC Armory many times and mike and Patrick handle all the customers with courtesy and professionalism. I have never seen either one of them condescend to a customer.

If you have time to complain about their service on the Internet then you had time to do some simple searching to try and answer your questions before you go into the shop. Don't blame them because you embarrassed yourself. If you identify yourself as new they will accommodate you and answer all your questions, but they may also try and make some money by helping other customers at the same time.

I split my time and money between oc armory and rifle gear. I've never had an issue at either place and recommend them both. Rifle gear has more guns in stock lately but oc armory will SSE off roster handguns, which is awesome.
Old 10-08-2013, 12:47 PM

I completely agree with Case's comments above. I also split my time and money between OC Armory and Riflegear. My experiences are exactly the same as Case described. All of the personnel I've dealt with have been upfront, honest, courteous and helpful.

Obviously none of us were present during your experience and I am sorry you felt disrespected. We've all felt that way at some point in our lives and it isn't a good feeling, to say the least. I can't and won't tell you where to go or not go. But I can tell you that over the years, Mike and everyone I've dealt with at OC Armory have been terrific. Mike even installed a new ejector in my 1911 some years back . . . FOR FREE (I brought in the new ejector. He did the work for free). And I think everyone here will agree that no matter where you go, you can always run into insensitive thoughtless customers.

There's a reason you will read so many positive comments about OC Armory on Calguns. It's because there are so many very satisfied customers.

With that, I wish you the best where ever you shop, and hope you have many more positive experiences in the firearms world
Old 10-08-2013, 8:23 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

OC Armory does the dirty work that no one else does like install Mr. Dennis' ejector on the spot and free / practically free.

Sounds like we'd have to drive down to San Diego for the same level of service if OC Armory wasn't around.
Old 10-11-2013, 10:03 PM

Default Rifle Gear and OC Armory

Welcome to Irvine. Like the others, I also recommend OC Armory and Rifle Gear.

Indoor ranges: On Target in Laguna Niguel and Field Time in Stanton. Outdoor range, I drive out to Lytle Creek and spend all day there.
Old 10-13-2013, 2:26 PM
CGN Contributor

Just another vote for my two favorite places:

OC Armory is outstanding, and where I first go to when looking for something.

Rifle Gear has plenty of exotics and is fun to shop.

Both have great staff, and I would definitely recommend them!
Old 10-15-2013, 7:14 AM

OC Armory is great..only bad thing is they are closed on Sunday my favorite shopping day for guns

Turners is good too..but can get crowed sometimes and they are not the fastest at getting paperwork done, but do have a good selection and prices.

On target is not bad and they have a range.

Grants, while not a pure gun store, does have a good selection of hand guns and hunting rifles from time to time I would recommend them for first time buyers as they have a friendly staff who never seems bothered to answer any question you may have.
Old 10-23-2013, 10:45 PM

I've bought at Grant's, Turners, and Riflegear. all good shops. Next buy will be at OC Firearms.
Old 11-19-2013, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRidge62 View Post
...On target is not bad and they have a range...
If you're buying handguns, On Target has a wide and varying selection of rental handguns that you can try before you buy...or just shoot for fun.

From The Codex Kalachnikova: "He who would have you surrender your arms does so because he wishes to do something you could prevent by their usage."

Why is the idea of an unarmed elementary school principal lunging at an armed shooter and dying in the process heroic... but the idea of that same principal armed and stopping the armed shooter with her own gun... crazy? –from screen name “Voiceofreason”