Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Ladies Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ladies Forum A place for our female Calgunners to discuss, share and interact without the 'excess attention' sometimes found in online forums.

Old 04-30-2013, 6:42 PM

Default Turners in Reseda

Have any other females experienced some kind of prejudice when going to Turners? Every time I step foot in that location I get talked down to. I'm not really one to kick up dust about the trivial bullshizz,but this just irks me. I went in there today to pick up 200 rounds of 22 short. I was met with the usual Turners ordeal (wait 20+ minutes for help while they have 2 employees working the counter and 5 more doing absolutely nothing). When it was finally my turn, the guy who helped me acted like I was completely inconveniencing him by purchasing these two boxes. Furthermore, he went on to ask me about 5 times if I was sure this was the right ammo. I know they don't allow returns, so I can see asking once as a courtesy- but, repeatedly ??? 22 short isn't a common load most people buy it's usually something most people only know about if they shoot it or are firearm enthusiasts. I doubt someone would walk in and request it by name. But, anyway...anyone else ever gotten this ?
Old 04-30-2013, 6:59 PM

So far, I have been pretty lucky to not run into this prejudice when shopping at our local gun stores. However, I worked for years in a male dominated business and was talked down to more than once. Yes, it bugged me.

Honestly, I don't pay much attention to it anymore. If someone talks down to me I walk away and chalk it up to their ignorance, not mine. Getting older has its perks, not many......but a few.

I don't expect everything handed to me. Just set it down anywhere. Unknown
Old 04-30-2013, 7:05 PM

Who did you talk to? I usually buy my stuff there with Randy. He's a good guy and very helpful.
Old 04-30-2013, 7:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by savannah View Post
So far, I have been pretty lucky to not run into this prejudice when shopping at our local gun stores. However, I worked for years in a male dominated business and was talked down to more than once. Yes, it bugged me.

Honestly, I don't pay much attention to it anymore. If someone talks down to me I walk away and chalk it up to their ignorance, not mine. Getting older has its perks, not many......but a few.
That's how I typically am. I don't really like to make waves about anything that's not really "worth it". This incident just solidifies that Turners is a horrible place in my book. If the ammo situation wasn't what it is, I'd be in any other store.

Economically, I think this location should really switch their attitude around. More and more females are getting interested in firearms. If you can offer a pink rifle, you should serve it up with a smile. Obviously we don't expect to walk in and buy range bags with tampon pockets...but still. A good attitude goes a long way!
Old 04-30-2013, 7:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaglipay View Post
Who did you talk to? I usually buy my stuff there with Randy. He's a good guy and very helpful.
I'm not sure his name. The guy I spoke to on the phone was exceptionally nice. He gave me all the info I needed and was extremely helpful.
Old 04-30-2013, 7:11 PM

Randy is a good guy and easy to deal with. If you prefer awoman to help you out there is Amanda.
Old 05-01-2013, 8:50 AM
Banned

I'm sad to hear that. Turners can really be weird sometimes. Had bad experiences in reseda and signal hills. Haven't been much to the oxnard location.
Old 05-01-2013, 9:47 AM

Reseda Turner's is going to be a whole lot better soon. They're getting a female mgr. that is really knowledgeable. Sad to see her go from Pasadena but, if it makes Reseda Turner's more female friendly ........we all win and its all good.
Old 05-01-2013, 9:47 AM

I generally get great service in our LGS's. I too played with the big dogs for years and I'm not easily run over (Really, Bonnie??? ).

My solution to crowded gun stores is to walk in wearing a pink Calguns shirt and holding my American Express card over my head. I really do this and it's just to purposefully make myself stand out. By now, most of my usual salesmen know me by name.

There will always be jerks in retail. If this is a pattern at Turners, you ought to find the store manager, after getting your ammo and tell him/her why the staff is totally failing in customer service. My response to being talked-down-to, is to get out my Mommy Outdoor voice and let them know I won't put up with it.

The longer we women put up with this, the longer it will continue. If you don't believe it, think about color-segregated bathrooms in the South in the 50's, and continue to think about it till you get mad enough to push some store managers around. Be calm, be very cold and factual and don't be brushed off.

If that doesn't work, write to the local TV Anchorwoman and cc the Turner's store manager.

And wave that AmEx card around, even if you don't intend to use it.

On another note, I just became an NRA Range Safety Officer. You should just see the interaction when I shoo the macho types off the yellow line. My job not to back down. So I don't. It's really good practice.
• Don't have children until you're married five years or at least age 30.
• Put 10% of your salary into savings every month no matter how broke you are.
• Don't ever screw around with the IRS.
• Keep a handgun on your bedside table.
• Don't smart-mouth judges, or cops who stop you on the road.

Last edited by BonnieB; 05-01-2013 at 4:31 PM..
Old 05-01-2013, 11:44 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelina View Post
I'm not sure his name. The guy I spoke to on the phone was exceptionally nice. He gave me all the info I needed and was extremely helpful.
Description? I could prbably tell you exactly who it was with all the time I've spent there the last few years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoutxkastx View Post
Randy is a good guy and easy to deal with. If you prefer awoman to help you out there is Amanda.
+1000

Alex (tall Asian) and Vince (medium height, heavyset, dark skin) and Russ are also very good & respectful people. Vince did the transaction for my wife's 1911 and treated her well, as did the guy with the one bad hand. Tragically there are a couple of guys who cop a tude to women in there solo (IE not with a male companion).
It was not a threat. It was an exaggerated response to an uncompromising stance. I was taught never to make a threat unless you are prepared to carry it out and I am not a fan of carrying anything. Even watching other people carrying things makes me uncomfortable. Mainly because of the possibility they may ask me to help.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:52 AM

It's common to be asked the same questions whether you are a guy or a girl. Most people want 22 LR, so they are just letting you know the 22 Shorts would not cycle. Not a biggie, but I'm sure they have people asking the same questions 1000x a day, so they just wanted to be sure.

Some of those guys can be jerks to each other too. I was there to do a PPT one day and the two salesman were trading offensive jokes about each other's wife and moms. I think they are just immature and should not be working in the same gun store.
Old 06-08-2013, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Have any other females experienced some kind of prejudice when going to Turners? Every time I step foot in that location I get talked down to.
I guess you forgot how to work your girlish skills..

A smooth talker can cut in line and most Guys will just grin and bear it, that too, is in our nature.
After watching WTC Bldg #7 being razed, and considering it's main occupants..

I stumbled onto this note while checking advanced weapons..
"911 = false flag. WTC 7 was brought down by demolition. 47 floors came down in 6 1/2 seconds - not hit by a plane. Just one of hundreds of absurdities that occurred that day. Wake up".
Old 06-18-2013, 11:12 AM
Veteran Member

Average Turner's employee = tool. Had a horrible experience at the Signal Hill store, and visiting the Pasadina and Rancho Cucamonga locations are always less than pleasurable. I'm not sure what they are doing different at the San Bernardino store, but they really seem to have there stuff lined up. I consistently get good service there- but the rest of the company seems to be a wash from a service perspective.
If I had a nickel for every gender that exists...
...I'd have $0.10.
Conservatives think liberals are people with bad ideas. Liberals think conservatives are bad people.
--- Dan Bongino
Quote:
Originally Posted by EM2 View Post
Some liberals are evil people out to control others. (Hillary, Pelosi, et.al.)
Many liberals are lemmings and will follow whomever espouses what they 'feel'.

Last edited by PoorRichRichard; 06-22-2013 at 8:53 PM..
Old 06-18-2013, 3:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911 to 1911 View Post
Reseda Turner's is going to be a whole lot better soon. They're getting a female mgr. that is really knowledgeable. Sad to see her go from Pasadena but, if it makes Reseda Turner's more female friendly ........we all win and its all good.
Amen to that, I know she will turn things around.

In memory of Rogelio Antonio Ramirez, August 26th 2007
Saqlawiyah Iraq

"most people quick to go to war haven't seen it."-
unknown

Check out my YouTube page
http://www.youtube.com/user/DJCBX/videos
Old 06-18-2013, 7:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdkevin View Post
I guess you forgot how to work your girlish skills..
Exactly and precisely not the point. If we have to use our little girl skills or womanly ways to be allowed to spend our hard-earned money, something is really out of whack.

Kevin, I hope you were joking.
• Don't have children until you're married five years or at least age 30.
• Put 10% of your salary into savings every month no matter how broke you are.
• Don't ever screw around with the IRS.
• Keep a handgun on your bedside table.
• Don't smart-mouth judges, or cops who stop you on the road.
Old 06-18-2013, 9:56 PM

Location: VENICE Beach ~ The Last Zombie Free Zone in America ~ Now the Stand-Off Begins
Thumbs up Yes ~ I have been Disrespected

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelina View Post
Have any other females experienced some kind of prejudice when going to Turners? Every time I step foot in that location I get talked down to. I'm not really one to kick up dust about the trivial bullshizz,but this just irks me. I went in there today to pick up 200 rounds of 22 short. I was met with the usual Turners ordeal (wait 20+ minutes for help while they have 2 employees working the counter and 5 more doing absolutely nothing). When it was finally my turn, the guy who helped me acted like I was completely inconveniencing him by purchasing these two boxes. Furthermore, he went on to ask me about 5 times if I was sure this was the right ammo. I know they don't allow returns, so I can see asking once as a courtesy- but, repeatedly ??? 22 short isn't a common load most people buy it's usually something most people only know about if they shoot it or are firearm enthusiasts. I doubt someone would walk in and request it by name. But, anyway...anyone else ever gotten this ?

From Me
BlackCatRacing:

Just want to Say ~ Yes I have been Disrespected at both Locations.

Forgot to say I'm a Guy
and
Everytime I have gone into Purchase/Look/Ask a Question.
I get No Response from Whoever is Behind the Counter.

The so called Employees Who were Hired to Help will Not give Eye Contact and They Walk around with Nothing Important to do.

They Really Truly Don't seem to want to Help anybody and even when My #Number is Called I get No Respect from the Young Think They Know it all Salesperson and so I End Up Leaving.

I have Stopped Giving any of My Business to TURNERS
((Reseda & Torrance Locations))

I will NEVER Go Back to Turners
+ I Buy all My AMMO from LAX Ammo .. never had a Problem and They will Never Disrespect any Customer

Pray for Peace ~ ~ ~ ~ Prepare for War

1) Charlton Heston 2nd Amendment N.R.A. Speech ....http://youtu.be/5ju4Gla2odw
2) PENN & TELLER tell the "TRUTH" about Gun Controll ...https://youtu.be/P4zE0K22zH8
3) NANCY SINATRA sings BANG BANG He Shot Me Down...https://youtu.be/YZoQ_E8GHsk
Old 06-20-2013, 9:00 PM
Calguns Addict

It's more of a Turners problem than a gender problem. Customer service at Turners is non-existent.
Old 06-21-2013, 8:38 AM

"...Randy. He's a good guy and very helpful."

+1

Old 06-29-2013, 3:08 PM

Default Girls in Gun Stores

I have four daughters, and each one of them has worked, works or assists in firearms stores. I'm glad to help move the guy only gun world around.
Ammo Bros - San Diego Facebook